Every single time I think the Yankees have turned a corner they come back with a stinker like this.
I don’t have the energy for anything more than bullet points about this loss:
- Matt DeSalvo, proceed directly to AAA. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
- Jeter is hurt. He probably won’t sit, but he’s hurt.
- Just when Abreu and Cano heat up, Jeter and Damon go ice cold (combined 1–9 tonight, the one hit was a broken bat ground ball to second)
- I hope I never hear about Roger Clemens’ groin area again.
- Jon Garland threw a great game tonight. No excuses about late flights, or let downs after the Sox game. Garland was great.
- Of course, Boston is up 1–0 in the first out in Oakland. Julie Tavarez will probably throw a gem.
- Steve Phillips is a complete idiot. I cannot watch Baseball Tonight anymore.
- Apparently, every single White Sox player is involved in one trade rumor or another.
- God hates me. Or at least the sports gods do, if you’re into the whole pagan thing.
- Cano looks REALLY good at the plate. 2 line drives, and 2 walks tonight. He’s back.
- Good showing for Chris Britton in mop-up time relief. 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 38 pitches. This allowed Proctor and Bruney a well-deserved night off.
- I consider myself a pretty patient man. By all accounts, George Steinbrenner is not. I’m at the end of my rope with this team, I can only imagine what’s going through George’s mind.
- Deep breath. It’s only the first game of the series, they could win the next three.
Player of the Game: Robinson Cano, 2 for 2, 2 walks.
by Brian on Jun 4 2007