We're on the verge of some new, and hopefully, exciting changes here at Depressed Fan. I say we, because you guys are what keeps me posting and I want you to be part of the process. After the jump, some details on the new site, the new server, a new radio show I'm going to be co-hosting with Derek Bodner
and an update on our first field trip, which is quickly approaching.
First things first. I made the final payment on our block of tickets for the December 19th game against the Clippers yesterday, the tickets will be in the mail to me early next week. Right now, we have about 10 seats left, so if you haven't reserved your spot yet, send me an e-mail.
The seats are floor level, section 115, rows 13 & 14, $25 each. If you can't go but you know someone who may want to, have them e-mail me here: email@example.com.
Now to the new stuff. First, Derek Bodner
had a great idea and I'm going to be joining him to do a weekly live podcast/radio show. We're going to spend a half-hour talking about the Sixers, taking calls and eventually we hope to have guests join us as well. Our premiere will be on Monday night (the 23rd) at 8p.m. You should bookmark the home page for the radio show, it's called Sixers Beat
. Derek did a great job putting this project together and I hope a bunch of you guys will be able to join us on Monday night, if you can't make it, you'll be able to listen to the replay on the site.
For this last part, the redesign, I'd really like to know what you guys like/dislike about the site as it currently looks/works. As part of the redesign, I'm going to be moving to a new server which opens up a few doors for new features and will make everything much faster. The biggest change will be the ability for anyone to write a post, all you have to do is open an account (which will be much easier, and the login process will be streamlined as well).
I know how I use the site, as a reader and commenter, but I was hoping I could get your feedback in the comments on how things might be improved. Here are a series of question, answer any you'd like, and if I forgot something, or you have an idea, don't hesitate to post that as well. (You can also e-mail me any suggestions you might have, if you're more comfortable with anonymity. My e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- How often do you visit?
- How often do you comment?
- Do you ever use any of the links in the black section in the middle of the home page (Player salaries, helpful links, archives, recent entries, entries from the rest of the Blogs By Fans Network)?
- Have you opened an account and/or created a profile here? If so, do you login to comment? If not, why not?
- Would you be interested in writing your own posts (to be displayed in the sidebar, with the possibility of them being included in the main section of the site?)
- Do you like the images I attach to entries on the home page? Would you be fine with plain text?
- Is the site easy to read as it's currently constructed? Text too small?
- Do you follow me on Twitter? Do you subscribe to the site using the RSS feed? Would you like to receive an e-mail whenever a new post is published?
- What do you like most about the site? What would you love to change?
- This is not in the plans, but if an account was required to leave a comment, would that be too much of hassle and would you stop visiting?
- Name one feature you wish the site had.
Thanks in advance for any responses, in the past I've kind of stumbled through redesigns without any concrete feedback from you guys, but the community has grown to the point where I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction this time around.
Expect a post in the early afternoon about Elton Brand and then the game preview later today. It's game day!
One potentially bad note, Carney tweaked his wrist in Wednesday's game, he's listed as probable for tonight's game, but he couldn't shoot at all
in practice yesterday. Check out that link for a couple classic, "getting after it" quotes from our fearless leader.