Next up in my quick preview series is the Southeast Division. Last year they sent three teams to the playoffs. I don't expect the same this season. My quick take after the jump.
1. Orlando (57-25) - The Magic are thin in the backcourt, thick up front. I'm not sure they can survive another injury to Jameer Nelson, luckily, the shoulder injury he suffered shouldn't turn into a chronic problem. On paper, Vince Carter for Hedo is an upgrade for them. In reality, I don't like it. They traded away a ton of depth to get VC, and I think it'll cost them a game or two. If they were smart, they'd go with a twin towers lineup for stretches this year: Howard, Gortat, Lewis, VC, Jameer.
2. Atlanta (43-39) - All the key players are back, Jamal Crawford steps into the Flip Murray role. Joe Smith adds a veteran presence up front. If they can get another solid season out of Mike Bibby they should be fine, probably stay about even and finish with the #5 seed in the East.
3. Miami (38-44) - I'm not sure Beasley is the answer at the three, and losing Jamario Moon will probably hurt more than you'd think. Wade is not to be trifled with, but a slow start could mean a mailed in second half by Wade.
4. Charlotte (38-44) - Okafor for Chandler, probably not a good trade, especially for an offensively challenged team. Felton is back, so there's a still a bit of a logjam at the point. Gerald Henderson isn't exactly what I'd call an exciting addition either. Larry Brown gets them close to the playoffs, but they just miss...again.
5. Washington (27-55) - All signs point to Gilbert being back (or at least all hype points to it), let's just say that I'm a bit skeptical. Even if Arenas is back at near 100%, I just don't think Washington is very good. They overachieved under Eddie Jordan, and I don't see Flip getting that kind of effort out of them this season. Mike Miller was a nice player in Memphis, a zero in Minnesota last year, and another injury risk added into the mix. Foye has been tragically unproductive his entire career.
Thoughts and your predictions in the comments.