One day of free agency is officially in the books. Two things are clear from Thursday's action. (1) There are some stupid, stupid decision makers in this league. (2) Any leverage the owners may have had in CBA negotiations is officially flying out the door. After the jump, the thread is yours, use it wisely. I'll kick it off.
Only one question really, of the contracts agreed to (or about to be agreed to) from Thursday, which one(s) will eventually replace Elton Brand, Hedo Turkoglu and Gilbert Arenas as the worst deals in the league?
In case you missed it, here are the deals we're talking about:
- Joe Johnson - 6 years/$119M from Atlanta (not agreed to yet, but it's likely)
- Rudy Gay - 5 years/$82M from Memphis (max possible for Gay)
- Amir Johnson - 5 years/$34M from Toronto
- Channing Frye - 5 years/$30M from Phoenix
- John Salmons - 5 years/$39M from Milwaukee (not agreed to yet)
- Drew Gooden - 5 years/$32M from Milwaukee
- Darko Milicic - 4 years/$20M from Minnesota
- Nikola Pekovic - 4 years/$13M from Minnesota
Two max deals for guys who do not deserve max deals, 4 deals right around the full MLE for guys who really don't deserve the full MLE. Just a crazy, crazy first day of free agency. Have at it in the comments, I'll be in transit for most of the day, but checking in when I can. Whatever's on your mind, let her rip.