It's been about 18 months since this site has had a major redesign, and I'm ashamed it's been that long. I've started, stopped and started from scratch again more times than I care to admit in the past year-and-a-half, and I've finally reached my breaking point. Over the next however long it takes, I'm finally going to be rebuilding this site from the ground up. With that in mind, I'd love some feedback from you guys as to what you like/hate about the site and anything else you'd like to share. Specific questions after the jump.
I have a pretty good idea as to what the new design is going to look like, what I'm really looking for here is how you guys use the site.
As not only a writer, but a reader of this site, I know what works for me on the home page (I use the links under "Extra Credit" on the home page several times/day. I'm constantly checking the "Recent Comments" section), and I know what I ignore (The twitter box on the home page, for example). I have my own thoughts on what's missing from the front page (My biggest complaint is when the second post of the day goes up, the previous post is pushed down and all but forgotten). I'm going to be keeping these things in mind, but I'd love to hear from you guys. It would be a big help if you could answer these questions in the comments, then anything else on your mind from a design and/or content perspective, don't hesitate to let me know in the comments.
How many times per day, on average, do you check the site?
- Any particular time when you check (morning, afternoon, night?)
- If you know, what resolution is your computer's monitor?
- How do you come to the site? (Twitter, bookmark in your browser, Google Search, Type "www.depressedfan.com" into your browser, RSS feed/Google Reader, Link from another blog)
- Do you always come directly to the home page, or do you sometimes follow a link directly to an entry?
- If I opened the blog up to posts created by users, would you post? If so, how often? Do you think user-generated posts add anything to a blog?
- If you answered yes to creating posts, would you like to be a part of blog even if I don't open it up? Meaning, writing occasional posts, or regular columns?
- Do you even care about a blog's design, or is the content all that matters?
I realize I'm opening a can of worms, but I do care what you guys think. Please answer as many or as few of these questions as you feel like in the comments. If you have any other suggestions or complaints, feel free to bring them up down there as well. If you'd rather get talk to me directly, shoot me an e-mail here
The user experience of this blog is extremely important to me, thanks in advance for your time,