Any damage the Sixers did to their lottery hopes by beating the Nets on Wednesday can be quickly minimized by a defeat tonight. If the Sixers fall to New York, they will finish the night with no better than the 8th-worst record in the league, and the very real possibility of dropping lower. If they win, it's 9th-worst by themselves, and only one game behind the Clippers for #10. Swing game, indeed.
I'm sure you remember the last meeting between these two powerhouses, a 94-84 win for the Knicks in Philly. Jrue had a big game. Iguodala had 10 more rebounds than three-pointers attempted (and that wasn't a good thing), Jason Kapono hit his first three of the decade, and so on.
The potential storylines are a bit thing, unfortunately:
- Jrue is averaging 18.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals and 2 turnovers over his past two games. Can he keep it up?
- I actually like the Jrue/Toney Douglas matchup, Douglas may just be a keeper for he Knicks (who bought the pick from the Lakers to draft him, I believe)
- Iguodala bounced back in the Nets game, can he retain his shooting touch tonight?
- Elton Brand got off to a quick start, working down low against a pitiful Knicks interior defense, then those plays were scrapped. Will EFJ find something that works and stick with it? (Can't say this likely, considering the way he's coached all season)
- 25 minutes for Kapono on Monday as Jordan decided to go small vs. small. Same tonight?
- Jodie Meeks saw first-quarter minutes against the Knicks, more of the same?
- Willie went from a DNPCD to starting in less than a week, can we expect 30+ minutes from him tonight?
I was thinking about this on my way home last night, and decided to file it under "Reasons Why I hate EFJ," but ten years ago, or maybe even five, I'd be embarrassed if the Sixers finished with a worse record than the Knicks. I mean, I'd be rooting for a win tonight so hard you wouldn't believe it. Today, my head and my heart both realize my team needs a loss. I hate this feeling.
Tip is at 7:30, I'll be right here throughout, suffering in relative silence. Join me in the game thread if you have a few f-bombs to spare, or if you want to talk about the NCAA tourney game you've decided to watch instead of the Sixers. Either way, I'll lend a sympathetic ear.