Let's say the rumors are true and Larry Brown is brought in to be the basketball Messiah for the Sixers in the coming hours, days or weeks. Whether you're pro-Larry or not, one thing is for sure. When he's given the reins he will make at least one head-scratching trade. After the jump, let's see if we can guess who he'll target.
First, let's set the rules. We know Larry likes to overload on two things: (1) Guys who can handle the ball/play the point. (2) Big bodies who can defend. In order to fit the Larry Brown model, they're probably going to have to be signed to long term contracts, possibly toxic contracts. We aren't talking about stars and we most likely aren't talking about young players either. He's going to want gritty players who will do the dirty work.
A few guys who I think fit the mold:
- Baron Davis - A couple years ago, Davis wouldn't have been an LB guy, but now I think Brown could view him as a reclamation project. A guy he could trade for who would come in and have one bounce-back season before falling off the cliff and contributing to the team's salary cap hell.
- Jason Maxiell - Prime candidate with 4 years left on his contract.
- Andris Biedrins - Big splash, long contract. I could definitely see it.
- Devin Harris - If the Nets get John Wall, this wouldn't shock me at all. A Steve Fransic-esque maneuver.
- Emeka Okafor - Maybe to make amends for trading him away in Charlotte. Terrible contract.
- Marcin Gortat - I'd love this, but Brown would overpay for him.
- Jarret Jack - Not a bad idea, long contract.
So, who do you think he'll target if/when he comes back to Philly? More importantly, who do you think he reaches for in the draft?