Sixers Face Tough Test In ORL

Start speights - get howard in foul trouble - and hope the andres aren't too tired.

Brian, reading this makes me think you think the game is in orlando. It's in Philly right?

Yeah, I misread the schedule.

Orlando is only -2 tonight. This one isn't a guaranteed loss on paper. In Orlando? Probably. In Philly? Nah, but I still think Orlando will win, especially after that loss last night.

This team really isn't the same without Jameer. I was extremely critical of Jameer last season. He grew on me, improved, and made me eat crow.

Wouldn't it make sense for SVG to put Rafer on Willie and Lee on Miller? Sure, Miller, the cagey vet, will take Lee to school at times, but Lee's length and energy could bother Miller a bit.

And watch out for Marcin Gortat. He is a guy who will hurt you in his 10 minutes of action without you even realizing. When Howard leaves the floor, Gortat comes in and picks up Howards rebounding almost completely. He also patrols the middle and doesn't allow many lay ups.(but he fouls) Obviously, he isn't Howard,(a top 5 NBA player) but he has shown over the past 2 seasons to be effective. His career PER is 17 and he never shoots. That is pretty impressive.

Assuming orlando is smart - i predict sam goes to the bench in less than 120 seconds of game time

Joe reply to John on Feb 28 at 16:20

And that would be very bad for the Sixers since Sam is probably their 3rd best player.

John reply to Joe on Feb 28 at 16:26

If that's true - that's just bad for the sixers - but it's probably also incorrect.

Andre Miller
Andre Iguodala
Thaddeus Young

Not to mention that Sam's offensive game isn't even the best of the 'big men' currently active.

Joe reply to John on Feb 28 at 16:31

You think Thad has been better this year? Really? You must be kidding...

Thad has played 4/7 of his minutes at PF, so do the math and compare his stats to the league average. Then compare Sam's to the average Center. I might do it really quick. At work, and not really anything to do. I already know(95% sure) I am right though, so why bother? If I am wrong, I will eat crow, but I highly doubt it.

As far as I can tell - you've never been wrong - ever and you'll look at a different set of stats then i will.

Mine will start here

You - you'll look at points per game and rebounds per game - the counting stats - you'll probably over value blocks as well

You'll also notice on the link i provided you 'percentage of minutes' - do you think the 3rd best player on a team only plays 52% minutes of the time his team plays? Not usually.

Various explanations exist for this - none of them good - being foul prone, being bad in important situations, not having the confidence of the coaching staff.

If OKC wanted a big man and was willing to give up expiring contracts - why didn't they make the same deal for sam they made for chandler - contracts are pretty much the same.

Joe reply to John on Feb 28 at 16:51

I think we should table this or bring it to another thread. This is a game thread. I'll post up on "Sixers Hold On To Sweep..."

Mike reply to Joe on Feb 28 at 17:12

Sam is not better than Thad, but his play is probably more vital to the team's success at this point. when he is defending well & grabbing rebounds he ignites them getting out on the break. they can live with Thad having poor games, but they struggle immensely when Sam gets into foul trouble.

i agree with Brian that it is absolutely crucial they do not double Superman tonight & allow Orlando's shooters to roam free on the perimeter.

Then a lot of minutes from Theo are necessary or Howard will go for like 35 and 20

Mike reply to John on Feb 28 at 17:37

we've done a relatively good job of keeping him in check so far this year. he's averaging 17.5 ppg & 11 rbs in our 2 losses.

Joe reply to Mike on Feb 28 at 17:36

Mike,

My feeling from your post is that you seem to value SFs over Centers. Correct me if I am wrong.

How about this, Mike, is Thad a better SF than Dalembert is a Center? Shouldn't we compare them against their peers?

Now see - there you go changing your argument again.

You said Sam is the '3rd best player' on the sixers.

Joe reply to John on Feb 28 at 18:01

Asking a question, isn't changing an argument. If I asked you if the sky was green it would just be a question. Perhaps, I was planning on listening to his arguments?

Look, we destroyed this thread. Blah.

Mike reply to Joe on Feb 28 at 17:47

i don't know what about my post would lead you to believe that.

Mike reply to Joe on Feb 28 at 17:50

i meant it is more important right now for the Sixers that Sam plays well than Thad

Joe reply to Mike on Feb 28 at 17:59

Didn't see this before I just posted. Or the one saying you are leaving. Another day maybe then.

Joe reply to Joe on Feb 28 at 17:58

Mike,

"Sam is not better than Thad, but his play is probably more vital to the team's success at this point."

This says Sam is more valuable, but not better. Typically, but not always, more valuable players are better. The "difference between the back ups" is one argument. The value of players at certain positions is another.

"when he is defending well & grabbing rebounds he ignites them getting out on the break."

This is what centers pretty much do, meaning rebounding, blocking shots, and playing D. You say Sammy is good at these things, leading me to believe that you would believe him to be a good center.

i'm headed out to the game. i'll try to have a write-up when i get home.

2:40 - Sam to the bench - 2 fouls

The Magic however only went to Howard in one offensive set in that 2:40

I dont care if Howard isn't in right now, if Evans tries to make one more move to/around the basket he should be yanked. Nothing pisses me off more than watching him pretend to have offensive skill.

John reply to Mike W. on Feb 28 at 19:49

I blame his team mates for passing him the ball on the offensive end - you can pass to Speights in the post or Evans in the post, and you choose evan? 500 dollar fine

Hell yeah Howard w/ 3.

JJ Redick ejected - funny

Holy geez

Howard having a really crappy game, and it's mostly on him...

BTW Brian - I think the NBA schedule has always been a mess and unfair to cetain teams - why does ANY TEAM have five games off in a season - and the back to backs - just another example - the NBA really needs to put some work into the fairness of their schedule. I know you gotta deal with west coast nonsense and everything - and things like the 'ice capades trip' and the spurs rodeo trip, but a little common sense.

Personally, I don't think you should play a back to back if you have to cross from one time zone to another - I don't, on road trips back to backs should be less likely than at home...

I've often thought that it's unbalanced but I have no idea how to go about researching that :)

Willie G with two good ones in a row, games that is.

God I am really goin to miss Andre Miller next year assuming he walks.

John reply to Mike W. on Feb 28 at 20:42

I'm not assuming he walks - I hold faith that the sixers think the economy, shrinking cap and the 2010 free for all are going to dry up a market and they'll be able to get miller on a solid 3 year deal while drafting a PG to back him up for those 3 years....if he walks for nothing i'll be a little pissed cause they knew what was coming and didn't trade him.

Willie G with two good ones in a row, games that is.

Lou with his second leave his feet before he passes.

This is one heck of a 4th quarter meltdown.

Bryon reply to Alvin on Feb 28 at 21:21

Hang in there, it ain't over yet.

This team can't get a stop. This is pathetic. Andre Miller has to try to beat the Magic by himself.

Tom Moore on Feb 28 at 21:30

Green with four good ones in a row ... Limited Howard to 12 points and eight boards ... Bad error not getting back on Gortat for an easy dunk in a two-point game.

We had this game, then went 5 minutes without a field goal to throw it away.

We were doubling Howard all night, and finally paid the price. Magic shooters had a lot of good looks throughout the game, and they started hitting them in the 4th quarter. That was the turning point.

If the other team is taking a ton of 3s and hitting a pretty good % (and the Magic took 37 and hit 40%+) really there isn't any way you'll win the ball game (unless you shoot 60%+) or get to the free throw line an obscene amount. I'm thinking in the playoffs, the Magic would be about the worst matchup for the Sixers as they bomb away constantly and hit a very high %.

I was at the game. I could not believe Green and Williams was leaving the 3 pt guy WIDE OPEN, time after time. But, on the other hand, I think Sam is the reason for the loss. I am starting to think that as Sammy goes, we go. I am not happy to say that. And, I do not mean to dump on Sammy, he has played very good overall for the past couple months. If our center's could have guarded Howard, maybe we would have won?????? Never know.

Summary, overall, good game and not a bad loss. Just a sad one in my opinion. We need to teach our guards how to guard a 3 pt shooter.

Mike reply to DeanH on Feb 28 at 23:56

really? i was at the game too and thought it was just about as bad a loss as they've had at home this season. i'm still seething.

hanway on Mar 1 at 4:15

I don't think the problem is L-Will or Green not knowing how to guard a shooter. I think it was obviously a conscious decision by the coaching staff Not to cover the shooters. How did they come to this game plan is beyond me.