Sixers vs. Pistons Minus A.I.

I've got a bad feeling about this one - but sadly I won't be able to watch it.

The Heat have a game today as well - so that 'stretched' lead might not last for long as they do get a chance to beat up the wizards

i'm not so sure they beat up on the wiz. arenas has something to prove and they're finally at full strength. Plus it's a back to back for miami, on the road against a rested bullets team.

Sheed isn't starting.

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:14

Apr 2 C Rasheed Wallace might join Iverson as a bench player the rest of the season. Wallace missed 11 games with a calf injury before returning against the Cavs Tuesday. He served a one-game suspension against the Nets for exceeding the league's technical-foul limit. "It's definitely an option," Curry said. "I liked Sheed coming off the bench (in Cleveland). It helps that (second) unit, especially when we're small with Will and Allen playing together. They need someone like Sheed or maybe (Antonio) McDyess on the court with them."

Quick start for Iggy, not so much for the rest of the team.

Two quick fouls on Sammy. Kwame continues to have his way against Theo.

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 15:23

Interesting strategy by Detroit. They're really taking it to Daly. They want him on the bench.

Or they know he sucks defensively and are using it to their advantage

you know, like a well coached team they find an advantage and keep using it as long as it works. - not like the sixers

The Pistons are a well-coached team, really? I think you've lost all credibility w/ that comment.

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:29

Nah - i was mostly kidding

But if they keep going to kwame while he scores baskets - even in the second half - i'm going to say that's something the sixers tend not to do - ala when thad disappears in a second half :)

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:30

Besides, it doesn't even take mediocre coaching to know that Sam Dalembert is weak defensively against anyone who evan has half an offensive game

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Apr 4 at 15:33

Missed that whole thread re DiLeo as coach or gone. My two cents: Don't see it. I'm sure he's doing his best not to completely embarass himself but he doesn't want this indefinitely. Like everyone's said re the boston asst, who's also had plenty of opportunities to be the head guy and passed. He's doin this for the organization and he'll put down the clipboard when season's done and go back upstairs. Where he belongs. Sez here.

Re his record, he's ridden a couple of hot player/team streaks. There've been opportunites for the coach to win the game with good recognition and adaptation but come up short. I'll give credit for the go-to-the-hole-fellas overarching strategy.

trading buckets with this pistons team = great sign

holy crap, andre is loose

He's carrying them, loved that oop, he just blew by Prince.

Well if the rest of the team continues to think that scoring is a bad idea and Kwame Brown continues his 50 point pace - it'll be a long day

21-19 after 1. Iguodala has 15 of the Sixers 21 points, on 7/8 from the floor.

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:35

And the rest of the team is 2 for 15 including an 0 for 8 from the starting back court

and oh yeah - kwame brown - more than doubles his average point output per game in the first quarter.

Strong

Miller hit that J at the end of the quarter, so they're 1/9.

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:38

Yahoo boxscores are a bit slow updating - they still don't have it

Still - not exacttly good :)

Joe reply to john on Apr 4 at 15:46

Yahoo box scores are all messed up for me. nothing seems to really be updating properly.

espn box score is up to date. sheed just abused theo on the block.

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:57

ESPN doesn't load well at my work.

Bynum is torching them again. 8-0 run for Detroit.

Wish I could be watching. At work sadly.

Sammy has to realize that this team needs him. Can't keep on getting 2 fouls every single first quarter.

Yup. Two very careless turnovers. Miller got caught in a full-court trap and threw it away. Lou inbounded a ball into the backcourt to ivey for the backcourt violation. sloppy.

john reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 15:47

Sam's been getting 2 fouls early in the first consistently for years - not really sure why anyone believes he's suddenly going to dedicate himself to getting better at basketball

Second unit getting their ass handed to them. Down 12 midway through the second. How about some minutes for Marshall here?

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:53

Not sure if that'll help here. Coach needs to call a timeout and regroup cuz they're totally on their heels defensively and out of sorts offensively, no apparent structure/game plan.

Speights' only touches (2) came off offensive rebounds/putback. What's the plan, stan?

Speights has 3 shots in the first 5 minutes. I'm not watching so I don't have any story, but I don't think he is being ignored.

Real and Speightacular reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 15:58

They weren't part of an obvious play for him. Those shots came straight thru his own hustle. Just sayin.

Will Bynum... anyone want to step in front of him?

It's a shame you guys insist on starting Stuckey. Maybe you'd be .500 if Bynum got the bulk of the minutes.

Lou, Willie, Ivey, Speights, Ratliff?

Terrible.

Joe reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 15:55

I'm assuming that lineup was yahoo created.

Miller, Lou, Willie, Marshall, Speights now.

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 15:55

Holy crap, Bynum's a one-man destroyer. Somebody thump him and give him the fear of god going in.

Stuckey's had his moments and is only in his first year of being a starter.

I'll cut him some slack.

That was a clear path foul on sheed. fucking bullshit.

Boney reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 15:57

he was in front of him, he didn't foul him from behind

He grabbed him around the waist from behind. ball and man were in front of him when he committed the foul.

Lou is looking good today.

Bring Donyell in, go on a run.

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 16:04

Evans in for Speights... bad sub.

I think you want Speights to play the whole game and shoot every possession. :)

Real and Speightacular reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 16:15

I'm guessing you don't see the brilliance of that strategy ;-)

OK, down 46-50 at the half. They came back from most of the damage done by the second unit when Marshall came in.

6:50 for Donyell, 22-14 with him on the floor, in favor of the Sixers.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:18
"6:50 for Donyell, 22-14 with him on the floor, in favor of the Sixers."

See now, that's kinda misleading cuz I didn't see Donny do too much just yet. I don't think he gets much credit for this run, unless lucky charm is now an official role.

One thing I saw him doing was staying with Rasheed on the perimeter instead of sucking down into the lane like Speights and Evans had been doing. He's also grabbed a couple of boards and the lane has opened up for drives since he came in.

Made threes aren't his only contribution. And I don't know how many times we can see the team's play drastically improved when he's on the floor and say it's a coincidence.

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:24

His numbers are the best on the team per minute as well. They are amongst the best in the NBA per minute I think.

I'm not saying they are maintainable, but his numbers from 2 years ago could really help this team as well.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:25

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who sez Marshall's a fluke. I think he's played great of late, nothing but praise. I'm just talking in this instance I didn't see him doing anything that would really be a major factor in a 22-14 run. That's kinda what your note was implying here.

Real and Speightacular reply to Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 16:31

Also, just rewound the last few plays, I didn't see anything wowsers... I did see Marshall not hedge properly and allow McDyess a wide open shot (which he hit).

Just sayin this plus-minus stuff be way jinky sometimes cuz the other variables are the other 9 dudes on the floor, who's hot, who's tired an wot not. This time I think the run while Donny was on the floor is really not due to anything special/noteworthy he did.

I don't think most think he is perfect. Your boy Speights hedges improperly at every opportunity... lol. Donyell, more times than not, from what I have seen has made correct rotations. More so than most Sixers.

I'm not saying Marshall is the greatest player ever, but the guy has produced at the highest possible level you could think from him. I think he has earned PT. There are minutes to go around at the 4 and I think he deserves at least 10 nightly.

Real and Speightacular reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 16:45

Joe, we're talking about two different things here.

Hope DiLeo gets Lou in there earlier in the 3rd like he did Thurs. night. Asking for a lot, but Willie is going to have to score more with Thad out.

I'm watching the ESPN broadcast. These announcers are terrible; can Marv Albert call every NBA game?

Barry (whichever one he is) pisses me off. He clearly hasn't seen the Sixers play at all this season.

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:19

Barry is a Detroit homer, anyway. Ever since he played there.

Thad goes down... Lou blows up. I think we all see what is going on here. Thad and Lou don't gel. This team is doomed.

Heh.

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 16:13

I'm guessing you don't see the brilliance of that strategy ;-)

Will Bynum came off the bench in college if I remember correctly. Why is he even in the NBA let alone actually putting up somewhat respectable numbers?

His last stop was Europe.

Bryon reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 16:25

He started and led them to the Final Four after transferring from Arizona. He was a Chicago high school legend.

Joe reply to Bryon on Apr 4 at 16:26

I thought he was the 6th man... wasn't Jack the starter?

Bryon reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 16:37

You know me, I wouldn't have stats on the guy :) - just going off memory.

Bryon reply to Bryon on Apr 4 at 16:28

Georgia Tech to the Final Four, above.

Joe reply to Bryon on Apr 4 at 16:33

He came off the bench that year though. Jack was the starter. He played 20 minutes a game that year. The following year he played 27.

I am pretty damn sure he came off the bench in the tourney when they made thier run.

From the internets...

"In the NCAA Tournament: Provided the key play off the bench in three of Tech's five NCAA Tournament wins ..."

Bryon reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 16:35

Correct in the tournament run that year he was the sparkplug off the bench, but his senior year he started.

Joe reply to Bryon on Apr 4 at 16:36

Once all the talent left he could start... sure. :)

Alright, need to grab the lead w/ the starters out there, then cross our fingers that the second string doesn't blow it.

Iggy didn't score a point in the second and the Sixers have only gone to the line 8 times. Things to keep an eye on.

Two quick fouls on Prince to open the third. Good sign.

6-0 run and a quick TO for Detroit. Slammin' Sammy with 4 points.

I'm sorry, but I don't think Thad is the most improved player in the league. I love the guy, but looking at the season as a whole you can make the case that he hasn't really improved at all.

Barry keeps saying he's the most improved, for those of you who aren't watching.

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:39

My vote goes to Durant off the top of my head. I can't think of anyone else though right now.

I'd agree. Although everyone was all over him last year even though his numbers sucked, so I don't know if they'll quantify the improvement.

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:42

If only Joe could hear Barry crowing :)

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 16:36

Daly! lol!

4 on Dalembert, in comes Ratliff.

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:46

Just horrible. A loose ball foul too? Damnit.

WTF!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else see Willie just watch Hamilton grab that long rebound?

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:45

Unbelieveable and it was within his reach to at least try to make an effort to grab it.

I think he grabs it if he just takes a step toward the ball. He just stood there and watched it. Disgusting.

Joe reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 16:49

This is part about the fact that Willie never has more rebounds + assists than shot attempts. EVER. If he just grabbed more boards, he would be a much better player in my book.

Lou in earlier...good sign.

Miller's doing a good job of probing the defense and finding the bigs down low.

3 threes from Stuckey? Really? The guy has 18 on the season at

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 16:53

My boy Speights with 8pts, 4 boards in 12 mins...souns about right

Stuckey's hit 3 3pters and Kwame has 15 points... bizzaro world

Not really bizarro world - just the sixers defense doing it's usual job in 3 point defense and defending big men with even a minimum of skill

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Apr 4 at 16:59

Holy cow, what is with that? Don't they practice defending against the three? W.T.H.

I like the fact that Hamilton and Sheed seem to care more about the final 4.

Scrambling and rotations on defense have cost us three 3's this quarter.

Found a stream... wow Barry as in Jon Barry. I wasn't thinking. Barry is so bad. Wow, glad I missed him fawning over Thad.

Lou should have fell to the ground there. Would have gotten the call.

Down 6 heading into the fourth. What lineup will DiLeo go with? He ran with Iggy and Miller for the entire third quarter. I don't know how they're going to come back if they go with neither of them on the floor for a decent stretch here.

What happened to Maxiel and Amir? There were such a huge part of this team the past couple of seasons.

nice to see Speights at half court when Detroit comes down with an offensive rebound.

I'd like to see a replay of that offensive foul on Iggy. I have a feeling it was a good call. Sheed had good position.

Real and Speightacular reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 17:12

I just rewound back to start of the quarter and I don't see what play you could possibly be talking about. Can anyone else corroborate or is Joe a make stuff up guy? Anyway, he's guarding Wallace who likes to hang out away from the basket.

Looooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Them out-shooting us from the line is very unusual.

Very.

Pistons seem confused defensively. Bynum thought he has help right?

They haven't given help all game. Seem slow and/or lazy up front on the dribble drive. Points in the paint is way in favor of the Sixers. Which makes it even more shocking that the pistons have gone to the line more. Sixers haven't been settling for jumpers.

B, have Miller and Iggy still neither had a rest since halftime?

Yup, both have gone the whole way. Wondering if they're going to play 24 in this half at this rate.

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:15

If so, they will feel it tom. night in NJ.

Absolutely.

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:18

Tay and Rip on the bench getting rest a few ago...wonder if it will show late by our big 2 not getting a rest...

Don't let up. Iggy with a big jumper there. Herman can't guard him, that's a joke matchup.

What a nice designed play there on the Iggy oop.

Big play by Miller getting on the floor for that board.

Sp8's should have shot that off the catch in rhythm.

Atta boy Sp8s.

Bear down, get stops!! Come ooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

Prince is such a pussy.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:31

He's a pretty frail guy who's played 400+ consecutive games. It's probably genuine.

This stoppage is good for the Sixers. Needed rest for Iggy and Miller.

Unbelievable. That's 4 stops this time down the court, and now they're going to get 3 points out of it without getting the ball back. That's crushing.

That rebounding BS wouldn't have happened on Sammy's watch.

john reply to Joe on Apr 4 at 17:34

Huh?

Come on. Put this one away!

Why did willie green enter the game for louis wiliams after the shot clock violation? Did it make sense?

for defense, if you can believe it.

john reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:35

That makes me all sorts of sad
but i've spent all day looking at whole foods sales of various hemp based products - so it's all relative :)

Need one here Reggie. Need it in the worst way.

Reggie, lets go. Make 1. Please.

Damn right, Reg!!

Holy crap. Reggie's clutch, who knew?

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:38

I won't tell if you won't.

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 17:36

LOL Reggie!

Did everyone see Brian on the Harris replay gazing in amazement?

I'll rewind when this is over.

Bryon reply to Brian on Apr 4 at 17:41

You disappointed me man. You didn't even scream or shout to distract him.

THEO!!!!!!!!!!!

Alvin reply to Brian on Apr 5 at 4:12

I've been watching that block over and over again, it's great stuff and a great time to make a play like that.

Guys like Ratliff, Ivey and Marshall will definitely contribute in the playoffs.

Love me some Thad, but Joe, any Kool-Aid left in that pitcher? :)

That's 4 huge boards for Iggy in the 4th, I believe.

Triple double for Miller to seal it.

We are playoffs bound, folks!!!

Good, hard-fought win.

Rush or Marshall would have to see more time tom. night with the increased minutes from the Andre's? Ivey? Who else?

Real and Speightacular on Apr 4 at 17:47

That was good times fellas.

Ballsy call by DiLeo to run both Andres for the final 24 minutes, gutsy performance by both of them to come up huge down the stretch. Huge win. Let's go Wizards and Magic now.