DiLeo Out As Coach, His Decision

Stefanski supposedly will be on 950 AM at some point - available online at sr950.com...

I'm a jaded cynic, and I admit it, so i don't believe the rationale for a moment - the 'spend time with family' thing is just used too much - it just allows DiLeo to save face and stay with the organization...

Yeah, it's a rote explanation, but I don't really care. Glad he's still with the organization, now let him spend the next month catching up on the scouting he missed.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 18:19

I'm glad he's still here too - it's the ideal outcome in my opinion

Stefanski claims that there are no financial restrictions on who they hire as a coach.

:) People always need their cable, apparently.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 18:22

All I know about comcast is that most Philadelphia sports fans hate them for some reason - i hate them because they seem unwilling to participate in the indemand packages as much as other companies (though this year they seemed a lot more available in terms of NBA, budget cuts required no MLB package this year)

Then again - coaches don't count against the salary cap :)

Neither does cash spent to buy picks, as far as I know. Only the salary of the pick obtained.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 18:34

Well not directly - except every pick you buy - if you sign the guy - does add to your salary cap - especially first rounders cause of the guaranteed nature of the contract - if the sixers are flirting with that edge and the cap isn't going out - draft night will be interested - because we're all pretty sure some picks will be available for sale (especially in the first round)

In fact, it's a shame the sixers don't have a second round pick this year (i think miami has quite a few) because a low first round pick might be worth a second or two in this economy

Sean reply to john on May 11 at 18:34

The major reason that Philly Sports fans hate Comcast here is because they block Comcast Sports Net(the channel they show Phillies, Flyers and Sixers games on) from any dish system. Plus, they go so far as to block Sixers games from showing on NBA League Pass within the city. So, if you are a fan of the team, you must have Comcast or you have to go to a sports bar.

It is a pain in the ass, because their service and product do not match their price.

john reply to Sean on May 11 at 18:37

The league pass bloackage within the city is pretty standard...i am in the clippers 'tv market' and even though cox cable no longer carries the 'broadcast' channel that has clippers game - their away games are blacked out on my league pass most of the time - so if i were a clippers fan in santa barbara there would be about 40 games i couldn't get...i know all about the blocking - and i know it's within their right to do it - and i can see it as a business tactic - it never made sense to me to block folks NOT within the comcast philadelphia market - i' m a philadelphia sports fan in california - why bother blocking here just so you can try and win a few more customers - cause that's really what it's about.

It's why Direc TV loses moeny on the NFL - it's about getting the customer anyway you can.

Yeah, its a joke that if you live outside philly you have no way to watch comcast sportnet- even if you are wiling to pay for it. It is only like this for Philly's CSN. All other regional sports networks are available through Dish or DircTV. Comcast Philly was grandfathered out of federal legislation, so anyone who moves away from Philly has to suffer for their shortsighted greed.

Matt reply to tk76 on May 12 at 7:35

Anyone in the 'burbs have FIOS? Supposedly they will carry CSN/Phila. So you can replace being at the mercy of one giant corporation with another...

I don't mind him staying on in the organization at all.. after all he does have a good eye for talent.

I just feel we can get someone better to coach the players, and now the board have the opportunity to get someone better. Someone who can make this team compete, or go closer to competing.

deepsixersuede on May 11 at 18:36

AH.Miller called E.S., said they will talk after July 1st.Happy to hear money won!t be an issue, I hope he meant it.

Money won't be an issue - as long as the sixers offer the most.

Again, that statement from stefanski of millers words just sounds like spin - it's words - look at his deeds.

He missed TWO meetings - and even though he called stefanski - they still haven't met face to face - not too hard in this day and age to arrange a face to face meeting.

If Miller can't get an offer from anyone else better than the sixers, i'm sure he'll come back...but don't think he'll offer any sort of discount to the sixers either - the sixers have the power to offer him the most money...aside from a couple teams that don't need point guards

Not true, the Sixers have the power to offer Miller the most money, without exception. They have the bird rights so they can offer the max w/ higher yearly increases and more years than any team, no matter how much cap room they have. Not saying they should top any offer, but they can.

Was this in the phone call Stefanski did on espn950?

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 18:45

yes - it was - wasn't that interesting :)

as for the money thing - you re right in theory - but i can't see anyone offering miller more than 3 years at about his current level - which means that the cap room teams probably could offer - if they wanted - i mean if the sixers wanted to get real stupid they could out bid everyone but hopefully they're not that stupid.

I'm hoping Pritchard gets desperate and Bibby asks for tons of money.

I still think patience in the free agent market will be greatly rewarded this Summer. There's going to be someone just sitting out there for the MLE that obviously shouldn't be if you just wait for the dust to settle.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 18:50

Yup - that's assuming that Comcast allows the MLE to be used - which there seems to be some doubt about :)

They will resign Miller or use the MLE. Just not both (to do so would likely put them over the tax.)

There's doubt about it if it puts them over the luxury tax. Meaning they'd have to sign Miller and use the MLE. I'm not sure they're going to re-sign Miller though, I'm leaning toward not signing him, personally.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 19:12

I'd prefer a sign and trade rather than an outright release of him - i think you get a better set of assets fro a team like portland for a couple year of miller than you will with the MLE...

You could also potentially get a better exception. For example, if you have a sign & trade w/ Portland where Miller signs a 3 year/$30M contract and you take back Travis Outlaw, you'd get Outlaw plus a $6.4M trade exception, which would give you the ability of paying more than the MLE for a player, and maybe out-bidding someone for a player.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 19:20

Ok - that exceeds my level of knowledge and insight - but I do think portland is a good spot for discussing a sign and trade of Miller.

Though Bibby will be out there this off season as well and reports earlier this season indicated that the Blazers preferred bibby's expiring deal and on court play to tutor the youngins than the sixers.

Though you never know WHAT the hawks are going to do

In a sign and trade do the Sixers have to take back equal salary if it is a trade with a capped team? I don't want to take back 8-9M in salaries unless they are short and for good players. I'm guessing it would be for Blake(1yr/5M) and someone else.

I guess yoou sort of answered my question. portland is under the cap.

So you get Blake and a 5M exemption, then sign Ben Gordon staring at 8M next year.

Bring in Collins or Jordan. In either system Iguodala/Gordon do not need to be a real PG, just a guard who can pass.

You can't combine exceptions, unfortunately. So to pay Gordon $8M you'd have to do a sign and trade sending $2-$3M in salaries to the Bulls. Not impossible, but not likely either considering our contracts.

john reply to Brian on May 11 at 19:29

what's willies yearly contract amount or lous?:)

deepsixersuede on May 11 at 18:44

Guys, I apologize; mixed 2 topics, meant that it was good money won!t be an issue with the coaching hire. A.Miller seemed to just touch base before he disappears till July.

Just so all know, Eskin is an idiot also. He suggested a sign and trade Iggy for Ben Gordon, straight up! Ed put him in his place, gently.

deepsixersuede on May 11 at 19:38

E.S. seemed to not be in a hurry to hire a coach, saying he didn!t have to be hired by the draft.If your Collins,for example, would you want to be involved in watching the workouts, I believe the coaches usually run them, right.

Hopefully, this is just a leverage statement. I think it's a no-brainer that you want a coach in here to give his input on the draft pick.

The Greek on May 11 at 19:49

Yeah why would the bulls give up Gordon just for iggy? Gordon is a winner, a great number 2 option. Iggy is neither.

John reply to The Greek on May 11 at 20:17

Wow...just wow

deepsixersuede on May 11 at 19:49

That statement gave me the feeling of not bringing in a dominent personality, I hope I!m wrong.

Tom Moore on May 11 at 20:30

Plus, Bulls already have Deng and Salmons on the wing. They have no need for Iggy.

Tom Moore on May 11 at 20:32

Correct. In a sign-and-trade, salaries must be within 25 percent (just as a regular trade). Can't get an exception unless one team is below the cap, which Sixers aren't and won't be for a while.

E-mailed Doug Collins' agent and he said he hadn't spoken to Collins since the Stefanski conference call. Talked to Chris Ford and he said he's not sure if he'll go for the job.

John reply to Tom Moore on May 11 at 20:35

Here's hoping he doesn't go for the job - i'd hate to see him embarass himself when Ed tells him no.

Tom Moore on May 11 at 20:37

Let's just say it'd not be surprising if DiLeo didn't have a choice here, based on several of Stefanski's quotes. Here's one: "I think Tony got us going in the right direction. Now we need a different voice."

Also, he wouldn't address what would've happened if DiLeo said he wanted to be in consideration for the job. "That’s speculation. Once Tony said (he’s not returning as coach), I’m not going to speculate on that."

And DiLeo didn't return phone messages, which is not the way he normally is.

bebopdeluxe on May 11 at 20:51

Any decision that keeps Andre Miller out of a Sixers uniform for next season is a good decision.

I want Collins. Disciplined. Teams play better after he gets there. Focuses on details and execution. Has experience with non-traditional lineups (i.e Paxson at PG in Chicago...Grant Hill as point-forward in Detroit), which is VERY important if we have Iggy, Thad and Brand as the 2, 3 and 4.

Didn't Ed say something about wanting strong leadership and a guy who develops young players?

Of the names out there it sounds like he is hinting Avery Johnson.

I'm not exactly sold on Avery, but its not like any of the choices are a perfect fit. And this team has its warts- esp since it lacks star power and the flexibility to alter the roster.

Didn't Collins develop MJ and Hill?

I'm not giving him credit for 'developing' MJ.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on May 11 at 22:31

I would agree with tk that I would not give Collins credit for "developing" Jordan...but what he did was build a team around MJ...he took Paxson (who was on the Bulls roster the prior season) and started him next to Jordan. While Paxson was not a PG in the traditional sense, he was a SHOOTER - which opened up the floor for Jordan and Pippen (when he got there). I think that it certainly can be argued that Collins saw Grant Hill's unique set of tools and set things up in Detroit to maximize the development of said skills...as well as set up a defensive system that led to the dramatic improvement in the Pistons' team defense that was cited in the ISU/Redbirds article about Collins.

If we are keeping Iggy, Thad and Brand (and if we are forced to keep Sammy around as well), Collins is the guy I want. Short of a radical revamping of the roster, he is the guy who I think can get the most of of this team over the next couple of years - until we regain roster flexibility in the summer of 2011 when Sammy, Evans and Green drop off the payroll.

I am starting to like Doug Collins alot:

Mike reply to DeanH on May 11 at 21:49

this is an open question to everyone, not just you DeanH, but what about Doug Collins' history as a coach makes him an appealing candidate? i don't see anything there.

Big improvement in his first year as coach all three times. History of working w/ talented wings. A couple things working in his favor.

after going back & forth in my mind the past week, i think i've decided i want avery johnson. there isn't 1 name that really jumps out at you like, "THAT'S the guy they have to have!" but i'd be really curious to see what he could do with a young group who loves to run. i think a fiery guy would suit them well. if he could get a veteran team like those old mavs to buy into playing D, i don't see why he wouldn't be able to light a fire under this group's collective ass.

isn't it surprising to anyone else that tom thibodeau isn't being mentioned more, not just by philly but as a potential head coach anywhere? the knicks of the late 90s/early 00's, the mid '00 rockets, and now boston have been 3 of the best defensive teams of the decade.

Agree, but his name might not be seriously bantered about until after the C's are eliminated.

I haven't been very impressed with his defensive schemes this post season. Sixers did a much better job against the Magic and the Bulls absolutely lit them up.

He lost his defensive anchor when KG went down. But you are right that they have been porous- almost Sixer-like in allowing open perimeter looks..

Mike reply to Brian on May 11 at 22:28

i agree with you there. it appalls me that teams have trouble figuring out the magic. stay home on most of their shooters, don't let rashard or turk go off, and let howard get his. what the magic do offensively is pretty simple and doesn't take much to at least recognize.

Mike reply to Brian on May 11 at 23:42

even last year. they did a nice job on kobe & la but their 3 opponents in the east pretty much tore boston's D up all series too.

Alvin reply to Mike on May 12 at 1:03

I thought the Pistons were pretty darn good defensively until Ben Wallace left.

My 2nd choice is Avery Johnson. I want a proven winner, guys. Tired of potential, we need guys that have won. We also need to realize that we cannot make a mistake, we will have this coach for atleast 3-4 years if not longer.

Mike reply to DeanH on May 11 at 22:00

but what has doug collins even won? not 1 playoff series in 20 years. johnson has at least taken a team to the finals this decade.

Mike reply to Mike on May 11 at 22:02

ha i thought you were talking about collins bc of your previous comment, but you might have meant johnson. i couldn't tell.

I don't know, Avery took over a 58-win team that was just hitting its stride, took them to the finals and lost, then got knocked out in the first round two years in a row. I don't know how glowing that record is.

Mike reply to Brian on May 11 at 22:18

not totally true. that dallas team had won at least 52 games 4 seasons in a row. they brought in avery in the 5th season of that streak & they finished the year 16-2, before losing to PHX in the 2nd round. then the next season they lost to MIA in the finals in heartbreaking fashion. instead of wallowing over the off-season, they came out in '06/'07 on a mission and absolutely destroyed everyone by winning 67 games. then, of course the 1st rd upset that ultimately led to his firing the next year.

Mike reply to Brian on May 11 at 22:22

so if anything, the picture i'd paint is that he was the missing piece all those years to get them over the hump & finally winning the west. and if you recall, it was all about defense. that mavs team played D like the suns until avery came in & got them to buy into his system.

Do the Sixers need a missing piece to get them over the top though? I mean, he isn't coming in with a built roster that's ready to compete, right?

I definitely think they need atleast a shooting guard, no matter what.

Mike reply to Brian on May 12 at 0:00

right and that's a great point. but i do think this team (especially if brand is healthy & productive) is very talented. i just don't see why he couldn't be the guy that puts them into the top half of the eastern playoff teams instead of the bottom half, if he's done something similar but on an even grander scale.

This will be their 7th coach in 8 years. 3-4 years might be a reach given the track record.

I favor Collins myself, but there is one caveat about hiring him that I'll bring up again: how do we know that Collins, after several years not coaching (6 years!), has the energy and will to persevere through the difficult times that inevitably come with all coaching jobs? I think of Larry Brown, whose one failure as a coach was with the Knicks, where he just didn't seem to have the energy to deal with Marbury. (Actually, this year with the Bobcats seemed to be going the same way for him until they made the chemistry-improving trade for Diaw and Bell.) In the same vein, I'm sure Collins would enjoy coaching Iguodala and Young, but how would he deal with Dalembert (because from everything I've read, it's unlikely the Sixers will find a taker for Sam)?

On the other hand, Avery Johnson might have the energy to deal with Sam and/or Lou Williams, but will he have the right personality to get them to play their best (instead of sabotage the team with bad play)?

It's not an easy decision, and I hope the Sixers make the right one.

bebopdeluxe reply to Statman on May 11 at 23:22

statman:

First of all, I wouldn't compare Sam to Marbury...I mean, Sam can be exasperating to deal with, but he's essentially harmless - he won't destroy a team like Marbury, Zach or any number of coach-killers.

I think Collins might get up for this job because - unlike his other gigs - this team has some talent...this is a playoff team even without perhaps its best player (Brand)...every other gig Collins has had has been with teams that were terrible before he got there. We know that he can make bad teams good...here is a chance to make a good team great. Collins has had success in improving a team's overall defense...assuming that they make the right decision with who will take over at PG (i.e. almost anyone but Miller), he will have the athletes to play good D - all he needs to do is install his defensive sets.

This team needs a teacher...someone who will focus on details and tighten up the ship. It has been said that Iggy favors bringing Collins in - probably because he knows that the young guys need to get a clue about what to do out there, and he thinks Collins can get it done.

I agree with him.

Mike reply to Statman on May 12 at 0:08

well wasn't that the reason he turned down the bulls position last year? he was all ready to sign a contract but decided at the last moment he just didn't have it in him, from what i read.

I thought Brown's failure in NY was mainly due to him being petulant because Isiah was making personnel decisions and he felt he couldn't compete w/ the crap that Isiah gave him.

To answer your questions Mike

Doug Collins has a record of winning (no, correct not the nba championship) but just winning, year after year. MJ wanted him as his team's coach.

Avery Johnson, same record, just winning.

The reason I said 3-4 years atleast as the coach is a team will keep someone, even if not perfect, just to give it time and consistency as if it continues to be a constant turnover, good coaches will not come.

Just to be clear, I am a fan and not an basketball expert. However, I am very systematic in my opinions and study the sport. That is why I encouraged Statman and Tom Moore to continue as contributers. And I hangout on this blog because I love GREAT COMPANY!!

deepsxersuede on May 11 at 23:16

Guys,out of those 2 candidates,what kind of staffs do you think they would put together?

I have no idea, Collins has been out of the game for a long time. Don't know if he has any favorite assistants he'd like to work with. Avery was basically Nellie's waterboy, so maybe he goes after some Nellie guys for his staff.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on May 12 at 4:44
"He's a guy that I have hand-picked to eventually replace me as I go into my retirement years," said Nelson, who is under contract for this season and two more. "I am really excited to have him here working alongside of me." ~ Don Nelson, Sept 2004

That Mark Cuban's always doing something really wild and risky with his basketball team, hiring waterboys and that kind of thing.

I dunno, the more I read about him, the less fear and more confidence I have. The Lil General'll be fine, if it happens.

Real and Speightacular reply to Real and Speightacular on May 12 at 4:53

p.s. We can't hold it tooo much against him if he gets beat by his mentor who had more than a little bit of insight re how to play the Mavs (and in particular, Dirk). That was their window talent/energy-wise and it began to close after that series, even if the players and management didn't want to see it at the time.

yea the dubs & nelson were totally in all of the mavs' heads that entire series, especially dirk's. what i do blame avery for is going small to match the warriors' quicker lineup. i mean you're the #1 seed, you just dusted the carpet with the entire league & won 67 games in the regular season, and YOU'RE making the adjustments to match-up with THEM? the #8 seed that barely crept into the playoffs? i'm sure avery still has nightmares about nellie's scotch & cigar breath.

I posted this at RealGM (sorry bebop, you are I'm sure sick of reading it.)

Regarding Collins:
Iguodala probably thinks Collins will centerpiece him similar to how Collins used MJ and Hill. Of course Iguodala is not on those players level, so it would be interesting to see how it woks out.

When you parallel the current Sixers to the early Bulls there are some interesting parallels in terms of the roster (just not the overall talent level.) Maybe this is a way to best use the current talent on the team:

Low IQ center:
Sam is like Edwards and Cartright. Eventually maybe Speights as an upgrade if he can improve on defense/boards.

High post PF with good defense:
Brand fills Ho.Grant's role- less athletic but similar skills

Pippen/MJ stud long wings:
Obviously no one close to that superstar level, but Iguodala/Young would try and fill the role of scorers, long defenders and the focal point of the offense. They would share these roles.

Offensive smaller guard (non-PG):
Lou or ideally a better defensive 3pt shooting combo guard (think Jack/Hinrich) would fill the Paxon/BJ Armstrong role.

...So granted we are not looking at the Bulls V2. Not even close.

But the point is that the current pieces fit the general scheme. The level of success would depend on how well Brand/Iguodala/Thad play. But at least this is a scheme where the current Sixers can fit without getting an elite PG.

Avery Johnson - burnt out in two years - grated his team - worst playoff loss (in terms of win differential) in nba history - took over one of the best teams in the league - how did him coaching make them better? Oh yeah - he thinks Louis Williams could be a starting point guard in the NBA. - his interview on Sports Radio 950 last week makes me think he's more egotistical and about himself than Larry Brown is.

Stefan Marbury may be a douche bag, but the knicks were a COLLECTION of douche bags - run by a douch bag - the biggest douche in the history of NBA GMs possibly - that team was never going to win and I think Marbury gets more scape goating than necessary - but whatever.

Doug Collins - what happened with the Bulls last year? Why didn't he end up taking the job after all the reports that he would...I'm curios to know the answer to that...

Every name mentioned in this thread has one thing in common (aside from a couple mentions of 'hot boy' thibodeau) - they're retreads - burn outs - guys who haven't won a title before.

None of these names excite me, but I'd probably do it a bit differently, I'd talk to guys like Pop, and Phil, maybe Jerry Sloan, see who they think would make a good coach...

The Washington Post has reported that not only is eddie jordan interviewing with the kings, but that league officials (unnamed of course) say that the sixers have shown 'official' (my word) interest in talking to jordan.

Should Eric Snow be brought in as an assistant to help the point guard group that the sixers will have next season?

Alvin reply to john on May 12 at 10:49

No reason why he shouldn't.

john reply to Alvin on May 12 at 10:53

Maybe he enjoys his NBA TV gig?:)

I'm just saying, Snows one of those players they always say would make a good coach and had a probably the best part of his career in philly...He always struck me as someone who knew how to play within himself...knew what he could and couldn't do...I think a guy like louis williams could use some of that tutoring.

bebopdeluxe reply to john on May 12 at 11:04

Snow was also a feisty, in-your-face, physical player (probably his football background coming to the fore)...he was a leader on the floor and in the locker room, and he commanded respect from the players (even AI). I think that - if he wants it - he will be a fine NBA coach, and spending 2-3 years learning from a guy like Collins - a detail-oriented, teacher of a coach - sounds perfect.

I don't know about all that, I just know that when he played he didn't upset me as much as most other players - in fact more often than not i ended up wishing he'd take a few more open looks...

bebopdeluxe on May 12 at 10:59

No problem, tk...I have been making the Sixers/Bulls analogy for a while as it relates to Collins. If you believe that 1) the team is hamstrung to do any meaningful personnel changes before the sumemr of 2011 (when Sammy, Evans and Green roll off) and 2) you are willing to commit to Iggy, Thad and BRand at the 2, 3, and 4, the Chicago model (MJ, Pippen and Grant) is a decent template to work with, and Collins was the guy who started that train rolling down the tracks - before the "Zen Master" applied all of the principles he learned from coaching the Albany Patroons to take the Bulls to the next level.

Stefanski on WPEN 950 again this morning at 11:30 eastern time (approx)

I think I could write down what he will say in that interview before even listening.

john reply to tk76 on May 12 at 11:29