Potential Points

Agree on everything except the "I could grow to tolerate House" part :-)

I am a Miller fan but I know he will leave, I am just curious to know where he will land, and for how much $

I think Felton would be the best, realistic option among the players of the list, also Charlotte has a young PG to put in his place in Augustin.

I would consider also a Dalembert-for-Hinrich swap, contracts are similar and Chicago needs another presence in the paint. Noah is ok but not great

(how about bringing back Eric Snow? LOL)

Chicago would never trade Hinrich for Sammy. This time last year? Maybe. But I think Sam's done way too much damage to his value in the press. They'll get better offers than that for Hinrich.

deepsixersuede on May 14 at 8:32

Two guys I think could end up here are S.Blake and L.Ridnour. I like Blake, don!t like Ridnour but if Milwaukee doesn!t have the money to sign Sessions they may offer Ridnour for a lesser contract and he can shoot.Blake would have to be a sign-trade for A.Miller.Brian, familiarity helps in basketball and if A.Miller doesn!t get good offers elsewhere, a good possibility, E.S. may decide to bring him back and see if the coach and a healthy Elton can get this team to 50 wins.I hope not.Question, if L.Will. is not the backup p.g. [backup 2?] than where can you add a shooter that gets on the floor.Thad/Iggy at the 3; Iggy/Lou at the 2; A.Miller/Ivey at the p.g..Can a player getting Ivey!s minutes that can shoot change this team much? I am hoping E.S. isn!t wearing his rose colored glasses this summer.

Tom Moore on May 14 at 8:54

Not that impressed with the way Felton runs a team.

Blake can shoot and handle.

Dalembert for Hinrich would be a steal, but no shot of it happening. Besides, salaries don't work because of Dalembert's $3.7 million trade kicker.

bebopdeluxe on May 14 at 9:03

The guy I want is Jack...he can shoot the 3, he's got good size and is a decent defender, and if we are fortunate enough to get our PG of the future in this draft, we can eventually slide Jack into a combo guard slot to at least take Green's place when his contract expires, and potentially take Lou's place if we can find a deal for him that makes long-term sense.

Real and Speightacular on May 14 at 9:30

I don't like any of the unrestricteds. Too old. Love to hear more of your reasoning re Kidd. I mean, isn't he a one-more-piece guy? If Sixers can't expect to win a chip with him in the next year or two, even if he came cheap, i don't really see the point (heh).

Of the restricteds, I like Felton (I know he can't shoot but at least he doesn't kill you taking a jillion shots/game; great distributor/defender; solid) and of course Sessions.

Of the ETOs, I like Diener and mayyybe Quinn as backups but wouldn't want to give up too much for either.

You made a good point in an earlier post. If Sixers can ONLY get one position filled, which do you go for, point or 2-guard? I guess point.

What kind of fandangling could be done to make sure Danny Green is picked up? I know he's slotted for second round for now, but I think he'd make a solid starter at the two for Philly (this is assuming we pick up a point -- Maynor, the most gettable -- in the first round).

Could Lou Will be used in a sign and trade for Jack, Sessions or Felton(in that order)? Shouldn't money be comparable?

bebopdeluxe on May 14 at 9:35

The problem with just about all of these guys is I don't see a needle-mover here...they all have pluses and minuses...but so did Miller. To me, ES needs to aim higher (unless somebody like Maynor turns out to be this draft's Mario Chalmers or Rajon Rondo). Option #1 was and still is Hinrich - but I don't see how we can do that. Opttion #2 is moving up to get Curry - and I would consider moving Speights if that was the price-tag.

Even though I like Jack as a fall-back option, signing him (or Felton or even Sessions) doesn't make me feel like we upgraded the PG position enough to get a chubby.

My thinking is to get a tougher player to at least play Lou Wills minutes. I'm concerned about signing a non-shooter for our point guard of the future(Sessions). Not too sure about Felton for such a commitment. Jack has a track record and could certainly fill a role as a good sized guard to swing between the point and shooting guard and really see him in Lou Will's current role.

Eddie House is James Posey - he's not as good as he looks right now and he's going to get way too much money - he's the guy willie green aspires to be - a fungible year to year player - but not a point - not relly.

I hate Jason Kidd, but I can see the reasoning as a mentor - and bringing him in to mentor a young kid that isn't lou williams seems like a good idea for a year or two, but Kidd might now be in that 'chase the ring' arena...so who knows what he's going to do this off season, and who knows what Marc Cuban is thinking.

I've always been pro sessions, but it's a personal preference, and he might be gettable, I think I'd prefer him over Ridenour (and didn't understand why Ridenour was the starter.

Marcus Williams is an immense failure in the NBA and that's disappointing - on draft night I wanted to sixers to grab him - I guess I'm glad they didn't (though I believe that was the carney year, so not much better)

It really is a pathetic class...though maybe Phoenix realizes the reality of where they are and moves nash because he is not the future of the franchise - stoudemire is the guy to build that franchise around (assuming his surgery recovery goes fine) - nash is just kind of old.

Jason Kidd could really work. He's no long-term solution, but he is the best at running the fastbreak. He can't stay in front of the quicker point guards but is a defensive upgrade over Miller. And hopefully he's at the stage of his career where he feels he's earned more than enough money.

Playing a guy like Kidd with Lou Will would make a lot of sense: you have less of Lou handling the ball (no jump-passes or dribbling 20 seconds off the clock), you can let Lou run after opposing points while Kidd guards the SG. And Lou can concentrate on getting good looks or going to the line.

There'll still be alley oops to Iguodala (and on a smaller scale, Dalembert)

Lindsey Hunter would be a great guy to get at the minimum. But of the candidates I like Sessions the best. The dude can play, but he may command way too much money.

I like your reasoning. A point we need to have addressed this off season is that we are big heavy. We had a hard time playing Speights and that is with Brand and Smith hurt. I think we need to trade 1 or 2 of them to get 1 of our biggest needs, a 1 or 2 guard.

I would like to get another draft pick to pick up another guard.

I would love Kidd for your reasons but do not see it likely to happen.

Lastly, I think we need to be more patient as fans. How many times have we seen players blossom after leaving the sixers because we don't see them being decent???

john reply to DeanH on May 14 at 11:02

Amen

Question. Does anyone know if any of the "potential coaches" have relationships w/ a guard that they could bring with them to the sixers? Kind of a buy 1, get 1 free type deal?

Thoughts???

Of the guys rumored to be in the hunt, I don't think so. Avery's point was Harris, until he got traded and actually became, you know, good. Collins has been out of the game for a long time. Eddie Jordan had Arenas, doubt he's going anywhere, nor should the Sixers want him. Van Gundy's a couple years removed as well.

Sean reply to DeanH on May 14 at 14:58

Off the top of my head, Eddie Jordan and Jason Kidd jump immediately to mind. From all accounts, Kidd loves Jordan. Douby played at Rutgers(Jordan's alma mater) so that might be a connection. Stefanski drafted Marcus Williams. That is all I can think of for right now

If I have to pick a PG I'd go with Jack or Felton with Kidd as a possible dark horse(especially if they hire Jordan). If you have Jason Kidd, I would have Iguodala guard the points all year long, with few exceptions(Lakers with Fisher jumps to mind). The more I think about it, the more I like the Kidd idea if they get Jordan. As you said, Kidd has become a knockdown three-point shooter if his feet are set, plus he knows the Princeton offense inside and out. And he is a PG that really does not like to shoot. If they got Kidd and drafted Maynor, I'd be good, as long as they can sign a wing(Carney? or David Noel from the D-League?) who can play backup minutes

, I would have Iguodala guard the points all year long, with few exceptions(

So you'd have Kidd guarding the 2 guards?

Sean reply to john on May 14 at 12:03

Yeah, I would. Kidd is pretty decent against most off-guards. The major thing he has lost is his quickness, but he has enough to guard 2s. Iguodala is quick enough and long enough to guard points. As I said, certain teams(like Lakers with Fish and Kobe, Miami with DWade and Chalmers etc), I would consider switching that. I like Dala's on-ball defense, and he might be a disruptive force at the point of attack.

john reply to Sean on May 14 at 12:07

Fisher won't be the starter in LA next season - he's been exposed this year in the playoffs against quicker guards that are coming to dominate the point position...

Is Kidd strong enough to guard 2 guards?

I just kind of hate Jason Kidd

Yeah, he can guard twos. Like Sean said, you don't want him guarding guys like Kobe and Wade, but against most 2's he'd do just fine. Much better than he would against most PGs.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 12:38

I'm ok with kid as a SHOT term solution - a guy to come in a year or two and mentor the next guy...not long term freaking deals for this guy.

The way Portland saw Bibby this year when they attempted to get him - the guy to mentor for a year to get the young guys ready - that's how I want to see Kidd - I don't want to see radical overhauls of the roster made to accomadate Kidd

Sean reply to john on May 14 at 12:43

To me, that goes without saying. I'd give Kidd a two-year deal with a team option for the MLE. The thing is, Kidd is practically the ideal point for supporting the Dala-Thad-Brand core. So he would be coming in as a sidekick, not a focal point.

I don't think we'd be at that point. Actually, I don't think they'd be making plans around Kidd, he'd probably be more of an afterthought. I think he's definitely one of a casualties of the economy, unless Cuban decides he wants to hang on to him for too much money.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 12:50

Probably just spin, but Carlisle is quoted as wanting Kidd back in Dallas next season

In terms of 'limitations' - Dallas is one of those teams that seems less worried about salary cap / luxury tax issues - and ownership isn't answerable to stock holders - just Cuban - I wouldn't be surprised to see him give Kidd an above market one year deal (10 mil) to keep him around

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 12:38

Hey Brian,

How would you feel if the Sixers off-season featured Eddie Jordan with a reputable defensive deputy, Jason Kidd and a wing shooter in free agency and Eric Maynor in the draft? There might even be the outside possibility of a S&T with Miller(for Outlaw or Blake in Portland plus a Trade Exception) that can be used in a later deal with Sam or Reggie or Willie?

I might be okay with it.

john reply to Sean on May 14 at 12:42

Trade exceptions can not be used in combination with other players to facilitate trades as I understand it

Sean reply to john on May 14 at 14:54

Are you sure about that? I could've sworn I have seen that done. I thought that was how Minnesota could take Carney. I'll have to go research that.

john reply to Sean on May 14 at 15:00

Carney wasn't traded WITH a trade exception - he was traded for 'cap space' / trade exception...what I'm saying is that you can't trade 'willie green & a trade exception for another player X'

Sean reply to john on May 14 at 15:04

Oh I see. The trade might "create" the exception though. That is interesting.

john reply to Sean on May 14 at 15:10

that's the only way trade exceptions are created I believe - if you make a trade to a team with cap room - they can absorb salary without having to match salaries - (in theory) - the 'absorbed' salary creates a trade exception for the other team - for one year.

For instance - let's just say for some reason - detroit had 10 million dollars cap room at the trade deadline and they wanted andre miller - the sixers could have traded andre miller to the pistons for no players and would have obtained a trade exception (for one year) equal to millers' contract.

At least that's how i understand it - i hope i'm not totally and completely messing it up.

It's why teams with cap room can be useful in '3 way deals' for absorbing contracts they might not necessarily want.

That's my understanding as well. Doesn't Denver have a huge exception from the Camby deal?

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 15:20

I believe they do yes - Camby went to the clippers for a 2nd round pick?

Sean reply to john on May 14 at 12:32

Yes, he annoyed me while he was Jersey, but I think he allows this team to play a running style while matching up defensively. He also provides the outside spot-up shooting that Miller lacked, while also being a more vocal mentor to Lou Williams(who needs a tutor badly) and/or #17. Kidd can play 2-guards, he's done it off & on down the stretch for years, especially when Jersey was running Kittles in the back court with him.

Man, remember Kerry Kittles. Didn't they give him a monster contract?

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 13:40

yeah they did. In their defense though, they had a starting lineup of Kidd, Kittles, Jefferson, Martin and Collins. At that point, Kittles was the only shooter on the team who could defend and they were making deep playoff runs. It was almost similar to what BK found himself in with Sam after the Detroit series, especially if you were also keeping AI and Webber.

Real and Speightacular on May 14 at 12:11

For the Kidd fans in the house (I am not one), what about swiping both Dallas' guards? Would it be feasible to swap Lou for Barea and buy Kidd on the open market?

What's the motivation for Dallas to trade Barea for Williams?

Real and Speightacular reply to john on May 14 at 12:27

Fair point. Barea's just blossomed this year, before this there wasn't a huge gap between the two, productivity-wise. I suppose it would depend on how things are packaged. A straight-up one-for-one deal wouldn't be too appealing to Dallas (I don't think the salary thing would work out anyway).

Tom Moore on May 14 at 12:50

While the Sixers aren't commenting on the coaching search, the Sacramento Kings are addressing the issue each time they hold an interview. Here's what the Kings released after ex-Suns coach Paul Westphal visited Wednesday:

After former Suns coach Paul Westphal interviewed Wednesday, Sacramento issued this two-paragraph release, including quotes from president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie:

Geoff Petrie and (owners) Joe and Gavin Maloof just completed a two-and-a-half hour interview with Paul Westphal regarding the Kings head coaching position. Here are some direct quotes from Geoff following the interview:

“Paul was very well prepared for the meeting today and extremely knowledgeable of our team as it currently exists and the team-building process we are undertaking. We talked extensively on his style of play on both ends of the court and he provided Xs and Os breakdown to support his theories. He has a wealth of experience in the NBA as a coach and player, having won 63% of his games as a head coach (267-159, .627) and posted winning records in both Phoenix and Seattle. He was closely involved with the renaissance of the Suns in the 1990s, including a trip to the Finals in 1993. It was a very impressive interview overall.”

They did something similar the day before after Eddie Jordan's interview.

Real and Speightacular reply to Tom Moore on May 14 at 13:02

Pretty cool. That transparency stuff might catch on. 'Course they really need to do all they can to keep their weary fanbase from forgetting about them entirely.

Tom Moore on May 14 at 12:53

Why sign Kidd, unless you think you can contend for a title in the next years? Since that's unlikely, it doesn't seem to make sense. Barea would be good, but Williams is a lesser Jason Terry.

john reply to Tom Moore on May 14 at 13:00

Why sign Kidd unless you think yo ucan contend for a title in the next years?

Because aside from Miller, no one else currently on the roster qualifies as a starting NBA point guard (excluding Ivey, I'm not sure anyone qualifies as a point guard period) unless you want to try the radical idea of moving Iguodala over there.

If you draft a kid at 17 - he's not going to be ready - he just isn't - so he'll need seasoning.

So you bring Kidd in for seasoning - he mentors the kid for a year, in the second year hopefully the transition goes from Kidd to the new guy.

The more important question to me is not why the sixers owuld consider Kidd, as a short term 'transition' guy - he makes sense - the important question is why Kidd would consider the sixers.

That's a good question. Maybe he and Stefanski were tight in NJ. Ed may have been the guy he made all his trade demands to :)

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 13:08

I still think the more likely option is to stay in dallas and get over paid for a year or so - if he's going to settle for the MLE he'll probably look for a more 'title ready' roster than the sixers...

Yep. Like I said, I think a Kidd acquisition would be sort of a last resort. Like no one wanted him for more than the MLE, then no one wanted to pay the lux. tax for him as an MLE on a contender. So the Sixers swoop in. Something like that.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on May 14 at 13:54

I think the only serious contender that might need his services is the Lakers. He almost went there once upon a time, right?

Portland might still be looking for a one year guy?

Real and Speightacular reply to john on May 14 at 13:17

I don't know about that. I mean, if Kidd still figures himself a relevant, substantial player, I don't see him spending the time to take someone under his wing. That kind of close mentoring I see more by someone at the very end of his career, not getting much burn, mostly around for the paycheck. I don't see Kidd thinking of himself at that stage yet.

The development for our young PG whoever he may be, is going to happen in the off-season and through actual burn. During the season, there's barely enough time for team practices much less teamate-to-teammate one-on-one mentoring.

In the end I think John's right that there's not much incentive for Kidd to come here anyway. Odds are better'n excellent Cuban pays something enough to satisfy Kidd's ego and he stays put.

I'd sign Kidd for a year or two to bridge the gap between Miller and whoever the long-term solution at the point is. This is a playoff team and we have a limited window w/ Brand, so I'm not sure you just want to hand the keys over to a rookie PG from day 1. Worst-case, he's a coach a personal coach for the PG they draft, best case, he makes them a better team by spreading the floor in catch-and-shoot situations. I don't really see the harm.

Hey, I saw this earlier and it made me think one thing: Thad & Dala would breakout in this offense.

I would not mind seeing that all year long.

john reply to Sean on May 14 at 14:40

If Eddie Jordan is hired Sam Dalembert CAN NOT play on this team - there's no way he learns all the intracacies of this offense - he has not the skill or IQ

You know, they may be better off offensively with EB at the 5 in this offense.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 14:46

Actually - a big man who can post up - pass - and hit the free throw jumper - i don't see why Speights couldn't do it (yes i know he sucks defensively) - he's a very skilled big man - hell smith might do well in it as well (also a defensive liability)

But Sam (and Evans) and Gree and possibly even Lou would kill it.

That's a serious question - and one that should be asked during an interview - do you really think you can pull off that offense with this roster - and who has to go ?

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 15:02

That is exactly where I put him. I figured the forwards would be Thad with either M16 or Smith. Miller would not be as successful in this offense, though.

Having a point who can shoot would help, but I think Miller could do pretty well, depending. I think the strength is that you can slot guys into the spots where they will succeed. That is, if they have an area on offense where they'll succeed.

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 15:27

That is true, I guess you could have him on the weak side in that mid range elbow area, so he is at least a threat to score when he catches it. Still, I prefer a true shooter in that role.

That's impressive, but you can't run it with Sammy on the floor. Probably not with Willie either.

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 15:09

Yeah, I agree, which is why Jason Smith saying in Exit interviews that he wants to compete for a starting spot was so important. Maybe if he hangs out with his brother-in-law(Nene), some of that inside game might rub off.

Willie will kill any offense, that's a given. Which is why he needs to be a bench reserve until the time comes that he can be moved for better assets.

I think Lou could play in this offense. He is prone to making dumb mistakes, but this has a lot of movement and cuts, which is one thing Lou has done pretty well.

I honestly don't know how Lou would respond to something other than a 1-4 iso. He worked well with Speights at times, but for the most part in P&R situations he didn't allow the pick to be set, dribbled into trouble and accepted the double. He's got a lot to learn. Off the ball, he wasn't bad at spotting up.

Sean reply to Brian on May 14 at 15:31

You have a point there. Well, considering that Jordan has been considered a good teacher by many, fairly good at developing players, Lou(if drilled into it) could run it. If that permanent shooting consultant Ed promised us comes on board, Lou might be back to his last year performance.

Am I mistaken in thinking that CJ Watson of Golden State is going to be an unrestricted free agent? If so, I'd take a good long look at him. He has good size for a PG, shot 40% from 3-pt land, and can probably be acquired on the cheap (he only made 700 grand this year). Not the world's purest point, but with Dala handling the ball so much that's not a big concern.

I'm not sure if he's restricted or not. Was a he undrafted, or a second round pick by GSW?

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 14:54

Storytellers list him as a one year deal with no options for next year - so probably a UFA -

Real and Speightacular reply to john on May 14 at 15:17

If memory serves, he went undrafted. GS does a lot of that sifting for buried treasure stuff. Love CJ. Don't know his status but I'm pretty certain Nellie wants him to stick around.

He went undrafted and then played in the D-league for a while before coming up for Golden State. '09 was his second season, and he improved his FG%, FT%, 3PT%, scoring rate, rebounding rate, and assists while lowering his turnover rate.

Joe reply to noah on May 14 at 19:46

CJ Watson is being overlooked. Quality player for GS this year. Good call Noah.

If anyone needs a good laugh, check out DraftExpress's best case comparison for the guy the have going third overall in their mock draft.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 17:03

Dude has more basketball IQ than that - don't he?

He seems like a less-athletic version of Sammy to me, honestly. Thoroughly unimpressed with him every time I've seen them play.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 19:54

Oh yeah - no doubt he's a stiff - but i'm talking 'brain power' i mean sam could be one of the most basketball stupid big men i've ever seen - like worse than manute or shawn bradley - i think thabeet 'knows' the game better than sam - and honestly - defensively - he's smarter than sam - ofefensively they both suck - but thabeet has up side

Check out the updates, in reverse chronological order here. It's basically a series of updates about he's under-performing and over-rated, then in the last one he suddenly jumps up to a top 3 pick, based on...well, I don't know. Any time a synopsis starts with you can't teach 7'3" you know there isn't anything really to hang your hat on. The guy's big, I guess he'll block some shots if he can avoid foul trouble. I just think it's funny that DX says the best case for the potential #3 pick is Dalembert. ESPN says the best case is Dikembe, which seems like a huge stretch to me.

john reply to Brian on May 14 at 20:09

The obsession with height in the NBA at the cost of other most basic things has hurt the sixers more than once

It's one of my biggest pet peeves

Doesn't Jordan run the Princeton offense? When was the last time the Princeton offense had serious success at the NCAA level, let alone the NBA level?

The Kings ran it when they almost won a title once with it while having a great coach and personnel that seemed to fit it greatly.

I'm not enthralled with bringing in Jordan, when all this team should care about is playing defense and somehow learning to shoot. And defense is far more important than the shooting part.

As for the points,

I think you could have come up with a better title Brian. "Talking points" or "points of interest" come to mind. Come on.

I like Watson and Quinn for the money they will be offered. Ronnie Price as well.

As for the Princeton offense, they had two bigs who could really pass the ball and play the high/low post game to perfection.

I'm with you 100% that the focus needs to be defense. Of the guys w/ HC experience, Jordan's third on my list (JVG, Collins, Jordan). Not sure about the assistants yet.

I'll spend some more time on a clever headline next time, usually I just scramble to put something up there.

As for points, do you see a discernible difference between Diener and Quinn? I think either could be useful.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on May 15 at 6:59

Either Diener or Quinn would be useful backups (tho I like Diener more. Quinn's more in the won't-hurt-you mold), it's just a question of what you give up for either. Ivey one for one? Works for me. Low priority dudes but nice pick up in a package deal of some sort.

bebopdeluxe on May 14 at 22:06

Don't know much about CJ Watson...and I don't care how much the guy costs (relative to Sessions, Jack, Felton or any other PG we can get with the MLE). If the guy has size, cand shoot it from distance and defend, then by all means bring the man in.

An EMPHATIC "meh" to Diener and Quinn. I'd rather have Ivey than either of them.

deepsixersuede on May 14 at 22:21

According to Hoopshype Calathes impressed bigtime in a workout with,among others, J.Holliday.By the draft I guess things will work themselves out.

Do you have a link?

John reply to Brian on May 14 at 23:05

IT's from Chad Ford - not hoopshype - and the 'big time impression' has two very important qualifications

• The Clippers and Blazers were among several teams in Reseda, Calif., on Monday watching a workout with Nick Calathes, Jrue Holiday, Earl Clark and Jon Brockman.

One of the NBA executives in the gym had high praise for Calathes.

"He's a better passer than I thought he was," the executive said. "He really had a good feel for the pick-and-roll drills. I like how he sees the floor. If he can prove he can defend and hit that jump shot consistently, I think he's a really intriguing guy."

He's been indicated by many as one of the best passers in a long time :) And needing to work on his defense and jump shot - not exactly the ringing endorsement :)