Two Workouts Scheduled

deepsixersuede on May 29 at 8:11

Brian, unless Lawson is there, there are 2 guys I think could be starters for this team down the road and you have one of them pictured above.Watched Thornton about 6 times this year and is an ideal fit for this team because he doesn!t over dribble,plays off the ball real well, comes off screens well and rebounded and gave effort on defense.People that are B.Gordon fans would like this guy.I watched him come off screens in the corner and bury fadeaway three!s.They ran a lot of plays for him off the ball,something we need next to Iggy.When the workouts are done, he was the leader in workout requests early on,he may not be there at #17.Brian, you mentioned yesterday if we could get a 2 guard that could allow Thad to come off the bench, he is a possible guy.The other guy is B.J.Mullens, if he impresses he probably won!t be there though but thinking of your Gortat idea it would be nice to get Sammy!s replacement in the fold.

If the Sixers could swing a deal with Minnesota (maybe by giving them Dalembert) for the 18th pick, I like your idea of picking Mullins. I watch a lot of Big Ten basketball during the year and I thought he was underachieving (by mid-season his coach wasn't giving him the minutes normally given such a highly rated recruit) and not ready for the NBA during his freshman year, but the the physical attributes are there and maybe the potential to be much more than he is now. I don't think he could be trusted to play more than about 10-15 minutes a game his rookie year, but that might be all the team needs from him.

Tom Moore on May 29 at 9:45

The only way the Sixers will use the mid-level exception is if Miller leaves via free agency and not in a sign-and-trade deal. I think they're more worried about the guard positions than big men and would be more likely to use the exception on one of those, unless they get a guy capable of starting right away (Lawson?) in the draft.

Tom Moore on May 29 at 9:47

DraftExpress now has Thornton scheduled for June 11 and Taylor on June 14.

Will be interesting to watch the reshuffling of guard(point & shooting) draft positions as the workouts continue. I'm sure Ed is evaluating the merit of obtaining a late first/early second pick. Love to come out of this with 2 guards(point & shooter).

paul reply to sfw on May 29 at 15:20

"Love to come out of this with 2 guards(point & shooter)."

That would be nice. Wonder if anyone with extra picks would take Willie Green for a late first or early second round pick? After all, Willie has at least proven he can provide supplementary scoring in the NBA and he's still around after six years. On average, I'd estimate that only about 10 or fewer second rounders and about 20 first rounders last six years in the NBA.

second rounders cost nothing, willie will cost 3m+ for the next two seasons. I doubt it.

Portsmouth had better competition than usual this year and Taylor was considered by some following the tournament to be the most impressive player there. He played for a college team where he shouldered a large part of the scoring and ball handling duties (sort of like Stuckey), so he might be able to improve his numbers with more selective duties.

If the Sixers could swing a deal with a team (like Minnesota) for one of their high 20s first round picks, he would be a great choice.

john reply to paul on May 29 at 12:11

I had read the opposite as more people than usual were skiipping portsmouth and its relevance was approaching something akin to that of the pittsburgh pirates

Wow. 6'5" for Blair.

sfw reply to Brian on May 29 at 12:23

Hansbrough is taller than I thought.

paul reply to sfw on May 29 at 15:28

I doubt you really read that somewhere. What I think is more likely is that you are once again indulging your knee-jerk compulsion to be dismissive and contradictory. You really are depressingly petty and predictable.

john reply to paul on May 29 at 15:39

I understand, it's a hard site to use

Hansborough is basically Matt Bonner's size according to this.

Blair is basically Joey Dorsey or Jason Maxiell.(minus an inch) He is longer than a Craig Smith.

Hansborough's standing reach is a little less than Blair's, despite the 3 inch height discrepancy.

Small necks, alligator arms, etc. all factor in to why height isn't a great indicator.

john reply to Joe on May 29 at 13:29

I'm not sure anyone said it was an indicator - and wingspan and standing reach are also values looked at - it's just interesting to find these things out since schools always over state...

I always find it interesting to see how much taller a guy gets in shoes

I wonder what Barkley would've measured at coming out of college. I bet his numbers were similar to Blair's.

Blair also said he lost weight, but still weighed in at 277. I wonder if he played at close to 300 lbs. at Pitt.

Just checking out these measurements and a couple things caught my eye.

Thornton has less than an inch with shoes on over Curry, and only 13 pounds. If he has legit size for a two, Curry could easily put on some weight.

Tyreke Evans and James Harden are almost exactly the same size.

Chase Budinger is taller than DeJaun Blair.

Wow, Maynor only weighs 163. That's damn skinny for a 6'3" guy.

john reply to Brian on May 29 at 16:36

Holy crap - that's like anorexic model tterritory - hopefully he can put on some weight

He didn't strike me as being particularly thin yesterday. Maybe he was wearing baggy clothes

You can sort by standing reach... a much better stat for bigs.

Looking at reach... Evans is only 1" less than Blake Griffith.

Griffith has l" less standing reach than Love or Thad Young... not that it will hold him back with his size and explosiveness.

Wingspan is more key for guards. Evans (6'4" tall) has an insane 6'11.25 inch wingspan... Almost as crazy as Blair who is 6'5 with a 7'2" wingspan (how does that happen?)

Teague is 6' but helped with a 6'7.5" wingspan. Flynn also helped w/ 6'4" wingspan. Lawson comparatively has T-Rex arms (6' 0.75" wingspan.)

Curry has a small wingspan as well 6'3". I wonder if short arms can help with a quick release.

Hah, never though of that. Make me think of Prince's funky looking jumper. Good question to ask a 'shot doctor."

deepsixersuede on May 29 at 18:09

That is an issue with Maynor.C.Landry was the first guy that measured taller than his school listed him that I ever heard of a couple of years ago. Listed at 6!7.5" he measured closer to 6!9', a rarity.

what was korver's wingspan like, or ray allen.

deepsixersuede on May 29 at 19:18

Brian, sounds like Gortat is very popular.On Hoopsworld,draft,N.B.A. rumors chat with Steve Kyler he states Houston,Sacramento and Detroit will all make offers for him this summer.And Toronto is taking Blair if he is there when they pick.

EDDIE JORDAN ANNOUNCED AS HEAD COACH!!

Sean reply to Mike W. on May 29 at 20:27

Yeah, not a bad choice. I am looking forward to the Princeton Offense here. I really hope they will have a defensive deputy. I'd love to see Eric Snow or someone with major defensive credentials as the defensive coordinator. Maybe pull an Andy Reid and find a Jim Johnson type

The Greek on May 29 at 20:30

Sources: Jordan to coach Sixers

The Greek on May 29 at 20:32

My bad I didn't see your posts!

The Greek on May 29 at 20:38

I anyone remembers the Mutumbo era in New Jersey then It's happy days all over again because the Jordan Hiring means that Sammy Shit-Birds days are numbered. You can't have a stupid, butterfingered, terrible passing big man in this system.

Sammy and Reggie and Willie kill this system right?