Sixers Trade Reggie Evans for Jason Kapono

I was hoping for this trade. I'm not a huge Kapono fan, but if you are stuck over-paying a guy for 2 more years, might as well fit a need with a pure shooter.

Yup, couldn't agree more. No extra years taken in return and swapped Evans for a deadly shooter, I don't see how you can argue with this one at all.

Well. I guess Reggie did have some value after all. Good Luck Reggie. Enjoyed your time here. We got a shooter more to come.

john reply to sfw on Jun 9 at 14:45

How bad is Kapono defensively?

From Hollinger:

Scouting report: You know your defense might be an issue when the Bobcats are running isos for Matt Carroll to attack you off the dribble. Charlotte wasn't the only one -- opponents attacked Kapono any time he stepped on the court, and his inability to respond kept him on the bench despite his solid shooting. In fact, it was an early-season torching by the Bucks' Desmond Mason that started Kapono's season going downhill.

Kapono is a subpar athlete who ranked dead last among small forwards in both rebounds and blocks per minute, and second to last in free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt. He's a decent ball handler but had an unusually high turnover rate for a catch-and-shoot guy last season.

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 14:49

So worse than Korver huh?

He'll need to cut down on the turnovers...and if he and reggie match up he's probably cheaper than korver? Or if at the same price korver would have wanted more than two years - so this is fine

Plus, part of my keys to the off season was the removal of reggie evans from the roster.

Hollinger's biggest critique was that he didn't take enough threes. Basically, instead of catch-and-shoot, he was pump-faking and shooting twos off the dribble. Seems like something Jordan should be able to fix.

If you forget about defense for a second, is there a better guy to just plant on the weak side beyond the arc and pepper with drive-and-kick passes? Or swing the ball to out of double teams? I love this move.

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 14:57

Well, korver :)

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 15:27

Good trade. It's a swap of one-dimensional specialists to shore up respective areas of weakness.

"Hollinger's biggest critique was that he didn't take enough threes."

Kapono kinda frustrated his T.O. coaches because he wouldn't take anything approaching a tough shot. For a guy with a quick trigger, he hated to be rushed.

Jay Real reply to sfw on Jun 9 at 14:46

Word up. Good luck, Reggie. Welcome aboard, Jason!

nice.

"Kapono's a better shooter than Korver anyway"

I'm not sure about that. He might be a better pure catch and shoot player, but korver's better at coming off screens, and IMO a better overall offensive player.

and if you were frustrated by Korver's defense, you'll be furious at kapono.

I think Kyle's a much better player. But you'd have to add salary to get him, not trade salary. I like the move to get rid of evans.

Korver's probably a better scorer than Kapono, but pure shooting, I'll take Kapono. Korver's three-point numbers have actually slipped. Defensively, they're both horrible.

This was definitely preferable to signing Korver, good move, as far as I'm concerned.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 9 at 14:57

For the price-tag, I certainly can't complain. This is not a trade they do if Thibodeau or JVG was the coach...and I would guess that they will have to be VERY careful with who they put out on the floor with Kapono.

Given the hit that our perimeter defense takes with this trade, it is even more important now that whoever replaces Miller can play some D.

And not for nothing but they did add salary didn't they?

They added $1.25M this season, a little more next season unless Kapono opts out (which is highly doubtful) :)

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 15:11

So they gave up approximately 12% of their 'under the tax' number...

Yeppers. Basically added a min salary without filling a roster spot. I can live w/ that in this situation. Especially if the alternative was signing Korver for the full MLE and still having Evans on the roster.

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 15:17

Just an intersting thing to watch.

DId you read today that there might be some top 5 picks in play - including #5 with Boston making a play for it...i mean if boston can get the 5 can't the sixers?

Yeah, I saw that.

It doesn't get much more official than this, I've added Kapono to the roster on the home page :)

Also, the new number I have for the Sixers is $62,369,326 for 2009-2010. So just under $7M left under the tax, with the same assumptions.

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 15:23

another nail ni the miller coffin then?

Either that, or they're willing to pay the tax. Only time will tell.

Maybe he has the keys to the castle if he can make a big trade, or trade up in the draft.

Starters: Miller, Curry, Iguodala, Brand, Gortat
Bench: Thad, Lou, Kapono, Dalembert, Smith, Ivey

Congrats on finally acquiring that shooter! It only took about 36,000 words, but you finally did it.

At least I have something to show for my carpal tunnel :)

I was never an Evans fan and obviously they need a shooter, but there is another reason I think the Sixers made the deal. If we assume that Brand can stay healthy and Jason Smith (who rumor has it the Sixers really want to get minutes for), then having Evans serves no purpose. I like the deal even if it doesn't pan out for whaever reason because they aren't losing much.

Great move for Toronto.

Kapono is one of the worst players I have ever watched.

john reply to Joe on Jun 9 at 15:27

The sixers had TWO of the worst players I've ever watched last year and one of them started.

Neither of them is one of the best (percentage wise) in any category for their career...kapono can at least make 3s

Heh. In effect, they traded a one-trick pony for another one-trick pony. Just so happens, the trick they got back was something they desperately needed, while Evans was superfluous and over-rated.

steve reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 15:55

I love this move. I was a fan of Reggie it was hard not to like the guy but Kapono is really going to spread the floor for 15-20 minutes a night. Brian I hate to say it but I think you'e going to be dissapointed on draft night. It would be great to grab Curry but I dont see it happening. On DNL Eddie was talking about how deep this draft is in guards and that you could get one in the middle of the first round that could end up being better than the top 10 picks.

bebopdeluxe reply to steve on Jun 9 at 15:58

If the Sixers are going to stay at 17 and take Lawson or Maynor, in all probability it means that Miller will not be back...so who is going to be our starting PG? Williams? Lawson?

I would almost consider having Iguodala as a Ron Harper-like PG over either of those options.

I believe Lawson and Maynor would probably have every opportunity to win a starting job in camp.

Well, I think no matter what's going on behind closed doors, that's going to be what he says in public. You don't say, "Man, we really have to trade up."

That being said, trading up was always a long shot, and I don't expect it to happen. If I was pulling the strings, I'd do it, but unfortunately, I'm not :)

steve reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 16:11

Who would you prefer, Lawson or Maynor? I really like Ty lawson he reminds me alot of Jameer, experienced college guard with a short stocky build with great quickness. Everyone says Lawson can't shoot but he shot like 47% from three and has completely changed it stroke from when he was a freshmen.

I'd love to see them playing one on one. Right now, gun to my head, I take Lawson. I think he could thrive in a situation where he's the fourth or fifth option on defense, and he's got the skill to lead the break, which is important w/ this team. I just haven't seen enough of Maynor, and he's really, really skinny. 6'3" 163 pounds is ridiculous, of course, Lawson is barely six feet and it's easier to bulk up than it is to grow an inch or two.

I don't know, leaning toward Lawson.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 19:58

Brian:

Now that we have Kapono, we really need to look for a PG who can defend...I know that I have beaten the Miller/Speights 3-way to get Hinrich to death, but could you imagine a lineup of Hinrich/Kapono/Iggy/Thad/Brand?

As my 14-year old would say, that would be "sicknasty"...

Blackest_Guy_U_Know on Jun 9 at 16:45

Thank god! I am tired of Reggie's BS. Plus now we got a 3 point shooter which we need so despertly. Sorry to break it to you Willie fans, but Green ain't that great of a 3 shooter

What Willie fans are you referring to - and which subset of those 2 guys thinks he's a 'great' 3 point shooter.

Yes the sixers desperately needed a 3 point shooter, and thank god that's what Kapono does.

Of course, it's all he seems to do, and at a decreasing rate the past 2 seasons...

Joe reply to john on Jun 9 at 17:08

What is funny is he doesn't shoot the 3 much as well. He never has.

Joe reply to Joe on Jun 9 at 17:09

sorry for double, but when I said he doesn't shoot much, I meant relative to other "shooters."

The only real negative I see is if Kapono ends up as being 'the answer' to the shooting at the guard position. I would much rather see someone like Parker added who can actually defend and make good decisions in addition to shoot.

I just don't want the team to re-sign Miller and then tell us how they don't need to use the MLE because they addressed their needs with Kapono.

The guy shoot but otherwise is a bum. He is a worse BB player then Korver or even Carroll by a wide margin.

I'm happy to exchange Evans for him, but I don't want them to close the door to getting an upgrade over Green.

Tom Moore on Jun 9 at 18:41

FYI: Ellington and Christmas will work out for Sixers Thursday at PCOM.

Good trade to get a shooter, though too bad he's not a "two" guard.

I suppose we'll see him at the two and the three. He spent more time at the two than the three last season.

Some time at the two and some time at the three. We were stuck with Reggie's contract anyway, so this is a win-win situation.

Except that our remaining cap figure drops even lower.

deepsixersuede on Jun 9 at 19:16

Brian, moving Marreese to move up seems less of an option now.Good news; Reggie takes no more of Marreeses minutes.A big man is needed now, if Gortat is out of our price range two young guys that play in the post may be available. Fasenko may be renounced by Utah and A.Gray is slower than me but may be a good change of pace for Jason off the bench. Strictly 10 min. a game types but they both come cheap and have something to prove.Hopefully we don!t go the A.Miller route now.Guys, I would love Lawson and L.Will. battling for the starting p.g. spot because L.Will. has been told he is a scorer since he started getting minutes and if our new coach instills in him "if you run the offense and get people involved it is your job to lose" I would be shocked if he didn!t succeed.

My plan A is still moving Speights to move up for Curry and use the MLE for Gortat.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 19:51

Brian:

From your mouth to God's ear, bro...

Yup. We have less than $7M if they have to stay below the lux tax.

Joe reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 19:24

Well, we still have a month before we know the tax figure right?

You know what, that math is probably off. For some reason I was using $69M as the baseline, but the tax was $71.5 last year, and Stern said it would only drop a little bit this year, so to be safe we should probably use $70M. So they have just under $8M remaining, if $70M is the number.

john reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 20:02

I've been using 70 as the number the whole time - seemed about right (and a round number)

Joe reply to john on Jun 9 at 20:24

A pretty good read on some updates about the cap. Apparently next year will likely be a small decrease in the cap. The following year could be up to a 10% decrease in BRI, which would mean the tax level could drop rather substantially.

Joe reply to Joe on Jun 9 at 20:41

Seems like a scare tactic the more I think about it.

It is something to consider though. For simplicity, lets say a 1% drop in the cap would mean .7 million off the tax. If it drops for next year to 70, then if has a 7% drop the next year... you are at 65 million. That would murder the Sixers if they spent up around 69 this year.

This could have an effect on how much they are willing to spend this offseason.

John reply to Joe on Jun 9 at 20:46

It's a factor of the economy - if it stays depressed the NBA makes less 'bri' and thus the cap goes down - i don't think it's a scare tactic - stern has already said it publicly that it's going down this year - next year is irreleveant at the moment. It's interesting as I didn't know that the MLE is a variable number as well.

I haven't seen this posted here yet...

It is a podcast with Eddie Jordan talking to Turico from earlier today.

Nice, I'll give it a listen later tonight. Anything troublesome or encouraging.

Joe reply to Brian on Jun 9 at 20:31

Umm... he mentioned Jason Smith. That was somewhat new I think.

He analyzed the playoffs thusfar and I was very unimpressed. He talked a lot about offense and little about defense.

deepsixersuede on Jun 9 at 21:10

brian, we are adding 4 players at a minumum to last years team [Brand,Smith,Kapono and the #1]. If Miller resigns,again mentioned by our new coach, how do the minutes get split? We are only losing Evans,Ratliff, Rush and possibly Donyell.

I was reading some Toronto blogs. They keep saying Reggie is a great rebounder and defender. I think I watched the wrong guy last year! I remember a debate about that but Reggie, IMO, is not a super rebounder. And, I can't help but believe Kapono will be a big help to us w/ the new Offensive coach.

I am pumped as it looks like we are getting rid of our liabilities. Now find a team for Greene and then Sammy ....

John reply to DeanH on Jun 9 at 21:39

Well now you just gotta find guy who match up - contract wise and 'team hurting' wise to make those deals

DeanH reply to John on Jun 9 at 21:46

any ideas?

John reply to DeanH on Jun 9 at 22:02

Nope...hell i'm shocked they found a taker for evansw

i hope when stefanski said we addressed our need for perimeter shooter that he did not mean that this is done. because kapono only needs 5-10 minutes a game. I still think think we should swing a guy like azubuike (im sorry i keep bringing him up. he is a great shooter, has great work ethic and is a great defender). also i agree we need to sign a heady veteran shooter like anthony parker. what do you think of a guy like tj ford as a guy to teach lawson. maybe we can trade sam and willie for ford and foster.

foster, smith
brand, speights
thad, iggy, parker
iggy, azubuike, lou, kapono
ford-lawson (they can split time 20 minutes each), ivey

Believe it or not, I heard Foster was untouchable. They love him in Indy.