Integrating Kapono

His impact may be better determined by the penetration of the other players on the floor. Better spacing with him out there for his 15 minutes a game. Wouldn't surprise me to see Kapono & Ivey on the floor together in the rotation. That would help on D & O.
I do wonder how this will impact Donyell's future on the team. They may prefer to bring in a young reggie clone at the bottom of the roster.

deepsixersuede on Jun 10 at 8:04

Brian, I wish we knew L.Will.!s role because if he isn!t our backup p.g. than we probably don!t add another wing shooter.I don!t like small ball but Thad and Kapono in the corners with Elton on the elbow sure opens up the lane for Iggy and a QUICK hitting p.g. That is why Lawson AND L.Will. would thrive in that situation.Please do not resign A.Miller.We really have to hope Thad improves defensively to go along with Elton and Iggy.If our 3 top minute guys all are good defensively it will allow Jordan to trust them and play the best offensive pieces.

Real and Speightacular on Jun 10 at 8:45
"Four solid defenders and Kapono, with four offensive weapons and Sam."

Yep, that'd be perfect.

"They may prefer to bring in a young reggie clone at the bottom of the roster."

Richard Hendrix, anyone?

I also like Sheldon Williams and/or Courtney Sims

I'd hope the Sixers could pick up both of those guys. Plus, they seem not to be offensive liabilities.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 11:58

Has Shelden Williams done anything of note since being drafted?

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:00

He had an okay rookie season, and some games here and there. His big issue, to me, is that he's been asked to be an offensive threat from the 4-spot, which is not him at the NBA level. He is better used as an offensively savvy Chuck Hayes sort. If he were here, you could pair him with Brand or Speights or Smith and he'd be fine.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:06

He's 6'9 - being an offensive threat from the 4 spot shouldn't be a huge deal should it?

I'm not sure the sixers need another big body especially one that's been so underwhelming so far in his career.

I think they do need a big body, but not an offensive big body. They need a defender. If Sammy isn't going to start, and Jordan is seriously considering benching him completely if he won't "buy in" they're sorely lacking a guy to protect the rim and rebound. Brand can't do it on his own.

Sean reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:21

Precisely.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:23

If Sam isn't starting and they need a 'defensive' body in the middle - I'm not thinking Shelden Williams is it - he's a complimentary piece on a team with depth and no other needs...if Sam isn't gone, Sam's probably starting, as much as I haate to admit it as no other option (even shelden williams) is better at this time defensively unless Speights makes a leaps and bounds improvement in the off season

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:13

I am saying that he is a quality defender and banger who can play minutes against the more physical bigs in the league. He is also not a offensive minus. That is entirely different from being the focal point the Hawks tried to make him into. Offensively, he should be an opportunity scorer. He can hit the occasional jumper, put backs, things like that. Not calling post plays like he is Tim Duncan.

Ideally, he would be the 4th big here, playing maybe 10-15 min per game.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:16

4th big?

We have 4 bigs already - he'd be a fifth big...

Again, a luxury not really needed at this point.

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:21

Where do you get 4 from?

Brand, M16, Smith and who else? Reggie's gone and both Theo and Donyell are free agents. Unless you are counting Thad as a "big" which I don't.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:22

Did Sam get traded? "big's" play 4//5 to me - Sam still counts as long as he's here.

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:29

I completely forgot about Sam. I've been hearing so much about him being gone at all costs from so many sources that I stopped counting him honestly. But, even if you count Sam, I would bring in a guy like Sheldon Williams, especially since he will come cheap, since Sam is such an enigmatic question mark.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:31

And I'm not disagreeing that Williams would be nice I'm just saying that a guy like williams is rather low on the priorities as you still gotta find a 'real' starting SG if you don't think that Mr Iguodala is such a SG and you gotta decide what to do with the point guard and find at least one more 3 point threat before you start looking at the 'fourth' big :)

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:39

Well, I was not saying that Sheldon is worthy of the midnight call on July 1st. However, if you talk to Brand and put the idea in his head to recruit Sheldon while you resolve those other issues you spoke of, then he can be brought into the fold in due time.

BTW, I do think Iguodala should be the starting G. Barring any major moves or trades, His backcourt partner should be the winner of the Williams/rookie PG(Lawson?) battle. That is what I would do.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:46

Hey - I have always thought that he was the starting 2 guard on this team - the fact that it's dismissed by so many so easily baffles me - there isn't a 'large' amount of time with the 'true' starting five last year but the numbers still show it the 'best five' for the amount of time is something I think is ignored.

If Shelden Williams wants to play in philly he should first agree to play on the summer league team

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:50

I agree with you about Iguodala, especially in a fluid offense like the PO. He should be the primary facilitator.

As far as Sheldon, I also agree with the Summer league thing, especially because it gives him the jump start of learning the offense, and we don't know if Smith will play. The issue might be bringing him in early enough to get him on the roster. If he is a back-burner guy, that might be an issue.

Charlie Ace reply to john on Jun 11 at 16:00

He's only 6'5"

Brian - I agreed with your last paragraph. It's a big step in the right direction. This is the type of subtle yet impactful GM move we were hoping Stefanski would do along with a blockbuster or two. These are the moves that round out your team which are really important and simply good GMing.

So the best way to use Kapono is to start him?

That's how it reads to me...especially with Dalembert foul prone...and if you are then bringiung in speights after sam gets his first quarter allotment of 2 would you then remove Kapono.

The one 'benefit' to adding Kapono with the new coach is that everyone pretty much has to integrate into the new system so they'll all be on the same page once they start learning it.

I think this post was maybe 1,000 words, and nowhere in there did I use the word start.

I'm still operating under the assumption that EB, TY and AI will be starting at the 5,4,3 until someone says differently. I think I'd go with this lineup maybe to start the second quarter, maybe to close the second quarter, something like that.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 11:23

PG: Iguodala
SG: Kapono
SF: Thad
PF: Brand
C: Dalembert

Aside from Kapono that looks a lot like a starting line up to me...

That would be an assumption on your part then, I just said they should use that lineup for a stretch each half.

Sean reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 11:59

I guess the inference I got is that those would be the starters unless another starting quality big emerges, either via trade or in-house maturation. That might be why he constantly mentions Jason Smith. I almost get the feeling that if Smith were not coming off the injury, he'd be penciled in as the starter right now. But that is just my take.

in terms of an energy guy at the end of the bench, we could sign a guy like brandon bass. he is high energy like evans, rebounds well, but has a 16 foot jumper also. and could be signed for the minimum.

john reply to zig on Jun 10 at 11:04

And is more likely to re-sign in Dallas or another team with a better 'resume' towards being competitive and winning.

Minimum salary guys sign with fringe teams like Philadelphia usually because they can't find anyone else to sign them.

zig reply to john on Jun 10 at 11:17

u r right. i did more research into him. he is more valuable than i thought (before i was just browsing through names on the fa list), but yeah we could bring up some d league guys like real said in hendrix.

Joe reply to zig on Jun 10 at 11:07

Bass will get plenty more than the minimum. At least 3-4 per.

john reply to Joe on Jun 10 at 11:10

I wouldn't go that far - but he won't be in Philadelphia of that I'm almost certain ;)

good signing by the Sixers...even if Kapono turns out to be nothing at least we got rid of Reggies contract.
You know its funny how much difference a year makes...
Last year Speights was all the talk in the summer league and how hes a young Amare...now we are talking about trading him. Lets give him some time.
Having said that it is unacceptable that he cant/wont defend...He can run, jump, seems to have good quickness. Why do you guys think hes so bad defensively ? I mean hell hes built like Camby but Camby is a beast defensively.

Joe reply to Gdog on Jun 10 at 11:42

Because chicks dig the scorers and so do the talking heads as well as the guys writing the checks. He probably even thinks scoring helps the team win much more than rebounding.

In other words, incentives. He has incentives to be good at getting up shot attempts and knocking down some of them. He has many less to be great at anything else.

The irrational one here is Camby, unless he thinks he is helping his team by actually rebounding and playing defense. GMs disagree as seen in how they pay players.

john reply to Joe on Jun 10 at 11:43

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense

Sean reply to Joe on Jun 10 at 13:07

You sound like you're making the same argument as Dave Berri at the Wages of Wins site. Not that I disagree, in any way. I do believe people underrate the gritty stuff. However, I honestly think Speights's problem is that he never really learned how to play D properly, because he can score and is so athletic.

As an example, I remember this Hawks blogger who was talking about how Josh Smith's injury revealed just how much his defensive fundamentals were lacking because he no longer had that world-class ability to recover. I also remember Thad saying during his rookie year that he was actually learning how to play D for the 1st time.

I think Speights can be taught, especially if his motivation for learning can be tied with his playing time.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:12

I'm a proponent of the berri argument regarding the points - they are over rated (and he uses Iverson in 2001 to spell it out rather convincingly actually) - and I also believe that gritty is a grossly over used adjective used to make players who aren't that good sound better for whatever reason.

Speights is young, he's always had work issues and defensive questions - i don't htink grit has anything to do with it - this off season we'll see how dedicated he is to getting better...here's hoping he's closer to kyle korver on the spectrum than Sam Dalembert

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:25

I honestly thought his "work" issues were a bit overblown. There were conditioning questions, but that is almost always a factor with late bloomer sorts who are not coming from pedigree programs in high school. I mean, this is a guy who was not a super recruit coming out of HS, yet turned himself into a near lottery pick in just 2 years. I would be disappointed if he does not majorly improve over the summer, given what I've heard about his work ethic over the last year plus.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:27

I have no actual opinions on his work ethic (or future in the league) until I see him next season - just saying that the questions about him in the draft were mostly work ethic ones - so we'll see.

Someone who follows college ball more than me (meaning at all really) - what kind of defense do the gators play if at all?

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:44

Well, they seem to like to filter penetration to the bigs and like to play man, from what I recall. But a big factor that your question just reminded me of is the sheer lack of post up bigs in the college game, and the few that are capable are swarmed by zones. Speights lacks reps dealing with one-on-one post defense as a result. That said, I agree, this summer should be telling.

Do you have any faith that his minutes will be tied to defense with Eddie Jordan as the coach, though?

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:15

Let's hope if it is it isn't the all or nothing way DiLeo handled it.

Sean reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:19

Well, that will be the question. Actually, I think that he might be better off as a starter with Brand, Thad and Dala plus PG rather then off the bench. The reason I think that is because with the starters, he is option 4 and his scoring should be secondary to his defense and rebounding. I also think Brand will be in Speights' ear as well if he is not giving max effort on both ends.

JB reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:23

That's a pretty convincing argument, Sean.

I'd love it if Brand played that role. I think we saw a little bit of it from him early last season. He got on Dalembert a couple of times.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:28

Didn't know brand swung that way - what with the new kid and everything - not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Seriously though, getting on Sam Dalembert is about as useful as arguing with a brick wall to move.

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:47

Yeah, Donyell was on DNL talking about that yesterday. How approaching Sam was always about timing, and if you did it at the wrong time or in the wrong way, Sam would sulk or go into a shell.

From what I heard though, Speights is coachable, so I am not expecting issues.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:48

Sam is just a whiny bitch - and it's been evident since O'brien tried to knock his head into place but the idiot GM at the time sided with Sam.

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:53

Hey, no disagreement here. I actually remember Randy Ayers having big issues with him before JOB even got here. All of that is what makes it so hard to trade the guy.

john reply to Sean on Jun 10 at 13:58

Actually, if he didn't suck as much I think it would be easier to trade him - i mean zach randolph is a whiny bitch but people keep finding takers for him because of his 'talent'

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 14:21

True that. If Sam were a 20 & 10 whiny brat, dumping him would be easy. But nobody wants a high-maintenance muckraker, especially an inconsistent one.

Sean reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:35

I think he wants to play that role, but it takes time to be fully integrated into the team. Now, he's been here a year, everything is new for everybody, so now being a more vocal presence will be easier for Brand.

That is one reason why I don't think their D will drop off that much, if at all. In fact, it could get better. I've often said that teams will take on the personalities of the best players and the coach. That is one reason I don't want Miller back, because he signifies that it is okay to play matador defense at times. But if Dala and Brand are the main cogs, then the team is forced to follow their lead.

The Iguodala/Thad/Kapono line-up will be a challenge because they are all SF's with Thad and Kap below average ball handlers.

Kapono is 6'8" and really struggles covering guards 9or anyone.) They will probably need to run zone or use him when the other team sends out a weak player with the second team.

I'm hoping for a prety marginal role for Kapono. especially if he does not learn to play within his role. On the positive side, he got more 3pth attempts when TJ Ford was creating for him. I think Lou and Iguodala are good at creating 3 pt shots for others.

Who called speights a young amare? Are these the same 'people' who thought John Salmons was going to be great after a dominant summer lague?

Cause no one ever asked him to? Cause he's only 20 years old and not a finished project yet?

It's unacceptable to me that people seem to 'categorize' guys after one year in the league and then decide they won't get better

I believe Thorpe, Reina and a few other analysts/bloggers have compared his offensive skills and athleticism with Amare. He lacks the explosiveness, but has a better touch then Amare. The kid has a huge offensive upside but no one knows if he has the desire and discipline to fully tap into it.

john reply to tk76 on Jun 10 at 11:25

I like him but I don't see any comparisons to Amare in his game - to me the first word that comes to mind with Amare is powerful, he's just a powerful player, and Speights to me is more 'smooth' - he's got less raw power but possibly more 'skill' than Amare.

And the 'work ethic' defense thing was the knock on him coming out in the draft so it's not big surprise he ain't over it in just one nba season :)

For conversation's sake...

Post by sixerfan1976 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm:

"I am not so sure Green goes...I think Eddie Jordan wants him to be the backup SG. He wants to find his starting SG via free agency/draft/trade.

"They really want to move Sammy....and to my surprise..Korver is still an option along with Parker for mid level. They want to keep a shooter on the floor at all times..so maybe they split the time between Korver and Kapono. Eddie Jordan is the guy that started Jared Jeffries at the two..so you could see a Korver acquired and start and be backed up by Kapono

"Miller wants a 3 year deal at a minimum and we dont want to go above 2...so I think he wont be here in some form or fashion. Also...I dont think we use midlevel if we sign and trade Miller...if we let him walk..we will use the midlevel.

"I still think we draft a PG to back up Lou"

Assuming sf is correct(?), I'm relieved they don't envision a major role for Kapono. Picking up someone like Parker or Jack would be great. KK not so much(not a SG.) As for Kapono, they will need to mask his lack of D and teach him to just shoot if they are to get much positive out of him- but the potential is there. I do think Lou, Iguodala and eventually Thad will all create lots of open looks for shooters in this offense.

john reply to tk76 on Jun 10 at 11:26

So many things in that make me sad.

I'm fine with Sir Billiam as a back-up SG. He played within himself last year- but is just a badly over-matched starter.

I don't like the KK and Kapono talk. No reason to have a 6'8 defensive liability on the floor at all times. I would be happy to see them get Parker for 2 years (or Jack.)

As for Sam, no reason to buy him out or take on worse contracts. Just cut his minutes and wait a year. Players find the light theor contract years, and if not then he is an expiring. No rush to trade him if there is no market. An unlike with Mo, I know Jordan won't use guys like Sam, Green and Evans as a crutch.

john reply to tk76 on Jun 10 at 11:46

Actually it was the 'back up to Lou' - so either they expect the #17 pick to be a 3rd point guard or he's the first point off the bench and lou's starting.

Neither idea sits well with me.

And I just want Willie and Sam gone

Last week he said the plan was to re-sign Miller and use the MLE for Korver.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 11:34

And now that they have new information - possibly - maybe they changed their minds. It happens

So last week, according to his source, they were willing to pay the luxury tax to re-sign Miller and add Korver, but this week they are not. Sounds reliable.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 11:41

You don't want to believe him - we get it.

Last week he didn't say 'the sixers want miller for 2 and he wants 3' - so maybe that's new piece of information the sixers have now that they didn't have before.

We get it, you don't believe him, you find him useless and unreliable but I don't find it hard to believe that in a week (a week in which you had just finished hiring your new coach and needed to get his input on Miller) that the sixers may have gotten new information that changes their approach.

Changes their approach to the luxury tax? I don't see how the new coach has anything to do with that.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 11:51

Changes their approach to Miller - or the off season - or whatever

Maybe last week they didn't know they could get Kapono for Evans (no reason to think they 'waited' on such a deal)...maybe they were willing to pay the tax for 2 years of miller and not 3.

Nothing in what tk posted from SF even mentions the word luxury tax - you brought up the luxury tax in regards to what he wrote.

There's mention of obtaining a new SG not on the roster
and Korver or Parker as well

Not sure you could add both and a first round draft pick without going over the luxury tax, with or without miller, but nothing in his post says they changed their approach to the luxury tax.

And that doesn't strip the rumors of credibility for you? I mean, if the plan last week was to re-sign Miller and add Korver, they were clearly willing to pay the luxury tax, if the rumor had even a shred of truth. Now this week every bit of the rumor is grounded in avoiding paying the luxury tax. What other reason is there for the whole "If there's a sign-and-trade they won't use the MLE."

So which is it? Was last week's rumor bullshit. Is this week's rumor bullshit? Did the team suddenly realize last week's plan would've put them over the luxury tax?

And if his source is so plugged in, why didn't he even have a hint of the Kapono deal?

Nevermind, he isn't even attributing any of this stuff to his source in that thread. This is all just him saying what he thinks.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:11

Again, much like your snide comment about the 'starting lineup' - tell me where the luxury tax is.

And in your life - you've never changed your mind a week later without new information.

YOU DONT WANT TO BELIEVE HIM - we get it - I'm sure if you thought what he had to say was wonderful news you'd probably agree with him more.

And there you go - he didn't have kapono for evans - so he must know nothing - even though you've been told REPEATEDLY things he did have before others...we get it - you don't want to believe him - and you'll poke holes in everything he says (unless of course it's stuff that makes you happy)

People take peter vescey more seriously and that idiot is never right and usually writes with a grudge worthy of bill conlin.

Things change - people are allowed to change their minds - again - last week there was no mention of contract length and now there is - maybe that's what changed their mind - maybe now they know he wants 3 and they don't want to give him 3.

It doesn't matter how it transpired as it's rather obvious you don't want to believe him

You can try to shout me down as much as you want. This guy has no bona fides with me and the rumors that he attributed to his source last week were asinine. It's not that I didn't agree with them, it's that they didn't make sense. Didn't pass the smell test. Then a trade happens which he didn't get from his source. After the coach that he said was #3 on the list behind Casey and Ford signed the day after he made the comment.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:37

Other pieces have been presented to you - i've seen them

RealGM.com archives only go back a year - I have no idea why that is so - but it is.

I was on realgm at the time - i know he had it - i read it - so you don't trust Tk and you don't trust me either - what reason would we have to lie to you? Derek is the moderator over at realgm...has he posted that this guy if full of crap and shouldn't be believed.

Of course if you think TK and me are both liars with ulterior motives - please let us know

See my comment below. I don't have any reason to believe the guy other than your word about things he was right about a couple years ago. 6 moves have happened in the past 12 months, did he have any one of them before the press?

You could actually throw in the extensions for Lou Williams and Iguodala as well. So 8 opportunities to break news with his source. Did he have any one of them?

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:41

A. Since I was banned from real gm i have no idea
B. I saw what you wrote below it still just 'smells' to me like you don't want to believe him - and now you don't want to believe me or TK as well - that's fine - don't believe us...we have no motivation to make things up do we? What could we possibly gain by lying to you.

Show me one source in any world that is always 100 percent accurate and has everything that's ever going to happen - please.

I'm not saying you're lying to me. I'm saying I personally don't have any confirmation, and even if you can give me confirmation that he had a move two years ago, that doesn't mean jack shit if he hasn't gotten anything recently. Maybe his source was BK himself on the Iverson deal, how that would give him any credible information on what the team plans to do with Miller this Summer is beyond me.

8 moves in the past 12 months. You'd think if he really has a plugged in source, he would've had one of them, right?

I just find it an interesting thing to discuss. My feel has been he has some sort of source, but not exactly all that plugged in... but I really don't care. I don't have anything invested in it, so if he's making it all up no big loss to me or my ego.

Just another thing to add to the Sixer ofseason discussion- and I'd at least like to believe we have some inside information. Again, no big loss if it is all BS.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:15

99.9% of all rumors - no matter what the 'source' have very little credibility - but for some reason are given more 'weight' - chad ford is full of hot air and hardly ever right, as is stein, as is bucher...who gives a crap - they fuel varied discussion

Brian - Just start saying you have a source. Chances are a portion of what you say will pan out and really that's all it takes for you to be considered an insider.

john reply to Dannie on Jun 10 at 11:57

Aside from the fact that he has bona fides, has been right in the past about things, and yet others just want to focus on when he's wrong, especially when what he brings to light doesn't agree with what they want to be true.

Dude takes more grief usually than appreciation for what he writes so I see no reasons for him to make stuff up...don't believe him - you don't have to - no one makes you - but calling him out EVERY TIME someone mentions what he said is silly...

Even if he's not as reliable as you want him to be, he has been before, he probably will be again, and it's more interesting than beating jason kapono into the ground

Dude, no one asks you to come here and read the shit that I beat into the ground.

I have a hard time believing he's getting info from a source when it doesn't make sense, and then a move happens which he didn't even hint at.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:19

And I have a hard time believing it matters so much to you and it does and that you'll ignore when he has been right in the past (as has been presented to you repeatedly) and just focus on when he's wrong - unless you just don't want to believe him - and that's fine - don't believe him - but to go on a rant about it every time tk posts something about it - just ask TK not to post what he has to say since it seems to offend you on such a visceral level

Again, he has a history, it's been posted previously (repeatedly) - is ANY source always right?

First of all, nothing's been presented to me. Someone said he had Iverson before it happened, but I haven't seen the link. That was what, 2 and a half years ago under a different GM? And did he really have it before it happened? As I recall, the Denver rumor was swirling for a while before it actually happened.

Brand, Marshall, Ratliff, Rush, Eddie Jordan, Kapono.

Those are the last six moves this team made, did he have any one of them before the press? If so, please provide a link. If not, then I don't think he has a source and I'll continue to treat what he says the same way I treat any idea that comes from any one of you guys, as opinion.

Did sixerfan1976 have this trade before it happened?

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:44

This will be the last thing I say on it because - honestly - it's a stupid argument and obviously you don't want to believe him.

I trust SF as a 'source' more than anyone who works for any of the local rag papers in Philadelphia or the idiots on the radio or ESPN

He's been right in the past, multiple people who post here post on real gm and have seen him be right, and wrong, in the past, like most sources.

Whether or not you believe him is up to you - your lack of belief that he's been right in the past when others who post here tell you he has been just (to me) means you're calling them liars as well - which is your prerogative - it's your sandbox - but I have no more interest in being called a liar today.

liar.

JB reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:17

LOL

bebopdeluxe on Jun 10 at 11:33

I'm just not sure whether Speights is going to be a solid all-around player or just a slighty-bigger Charlie Villenueva. If it is the former, we obviously keep him...but if it is the latter, we must move him to move up and get Curry or in a package to get Hinrich.

A scoring big off the bench like Speights is nice.

An IMPACT point guard - ideally one who can both shoot from distance and defend - is CRITICAL.

Judge reply to bebopdeluxe on Jun 10 at 11:41

Well said.

Real and Speightacular reply to bebopdeluxe on Jun 10 at 13:29

Yes, a hindsight machine is always handy. We can in the meantime compare first year stats and see that Speights' per40 numbers are better than Charlie's. So there's that.

That's a good comp.

They attempted the same number of shots per/36. Villaneuva was in love with the three. Speights was a better rebounder (.5 per 36) and blocked more shots (.6/36) and fouled a whole lot more. Charlie V was also dealt after his rookie season.

Honestly, I think Speights will wind up being more than Charlie V. I'd still use him as a chip to move up for Curry, though.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:51

Marresse clearly bests him in the majority of categories. The nicest? Net offensive-defensive rating: +8 for Marreese, -4 for Chuckster.

I say keep. Trading him for a skinny, undersized gunner of average athleticism who isn't gifted at creating his own shot is too risky business. Sez here.

On a totally unrelated note.

Paul Westphal took a job yesterday with the kings and became one of the lowest paid NBA coaches in the league.

When Jordan was hired some pointed to his W-L record as an indicator of how 'good' or 'bad' a coach he is - westphal has a much more impressive W-L record.

I wonder if Jordan passed due to financial constraints (I also find it interesting that the once 'freer spending' kings are now going cheap on a coach who hasn't been in the league for a while)

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:45

I don't believe Stefanski is allowed to get into luxury-tax territory. Comcast let King do it and the Sixers didn't make the playoffs anyway and it hasn't happened since.

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:47

Well that's the kind of logical corporate thinking that makes comcast loved by all its customers.

If that's the thinking, for a variety of reasons, it's just another nail in the future of the sixers

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:49

Asked Stefanski on this morning's conference call what he thinks the chances are Kapono will start. His response: "That'd be Eddie (Jordan's) call in the preseason. Eddie's thing is he can play both (shooting) guard and swing forward. We're just happy to get a shooter of his ilk."

Kapono has only started 73 of his 401 NBA games, but had his best season when he started 35 times for the Heat in 2006-07: career-highs in scoring (10.9 points), minutes (26.4), 3-point percentage (51.4, fifth-best in league history) and free throw percentage (89.2).

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:51

If Kapono is the opening day starter, Ed Stefanski officially will have less respect from me than Billy King did the moment he made willie green the 'second' contract offer after the fluke injury gave him a do over.

And of course, I'll pretty much take back anything positive I said about Eddie Jordan as well.

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:51

Stefanski said Brand texted him when he learned of the trade and Iguodala was excited, too, because Kapono should help open up the lane for Iguodala to get to the basket. Move helps Brand most of all, though.

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:52

Did Stefanski have anything to say about Iguodalas appearance on ESPN this morning? Did anyone watch it? After reading the archive of Iguodalas twitter I felt it might be a cringeworthy performance

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:55

Nope. I'm in N.C. for a few days (my wife has a conference here) and I didn't get to see ESPN.

I caught him last night on Fast Break, he seemed fine. Didn't catch 1st and 10 this morning.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 12:58

Have you read his twitter page? I scanned through it yesterday after a post that he 'broke' the trade (he said something was coming, didn't say what) - and I honestly think he made a reference to bathroom usage due to some bad food the night before.

Yep, I caught that bathroom trip as well, and a shout out to his stylist.

He's also really not a fan of being called Iggy.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:24

OH well, I've known that for a while - it was in the papers a couple years ago when they were looking for nickanems, I think evans or hunter used spider for some reason - i liked that one - no one else seemed to

He doesn't like AI2 either or the other AI or any reference to AI

Yeah, he said just call him Dre.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:27

Did anyone remind him that that name is taken by someone far more talented at his chosen profession than Mr Iguodala is at his?:)

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 12:57

A hotel room without ESPN? That's kind of sad.

For those interested in it, I believe ESPN re-runs first and 10 as it's 'own' show around 5 or 5:30 eastern time daily...

I'll still be at my desk, unfortunately.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:23

So let me get this straight: you have a desk job completely unrelated to this blog, a wife, at least one child and you blog (and comment) as often as you do here. I'd say this is an impossibility but it appears to be happening right in front of me. Who do I belive, my eyes or my shouting logic? How in the world do you do this?!

Two kids and a dog, actually. I don't get much sleep.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:34

Dude. No wonder you're depressed/cranky all the time.

Yup, one is 20 months old, the other is 8. It's a friggin madhouse at my place.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:37

Please tell me that 8 refers to years instead of months...?

Nope, months.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 13:49

ANd here I thought me and my sister being 18 months apart was nuts...you'd a crazy crazy man

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:03

There's a TV at the Embassy Suites -- just not in my normal every-day routine is all.

Stefanski on how much Kapono's D will hurt: "That’s an Eddie Jordan question. Eddie had a big smile on his face when I told him we got Jason Kapono. That’s going to be his problem (laughs), If you get a shooter who can defend also, that’s an all-star. I know the kid is a gamer. He doesn’t mind taking big shots and putting his nose in there."

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:04

Did you or anyone ask about Jordans input in this deal? Did Ed go to him and say 'would you like jason kapono' or did he make the deal and then say - hey eddie - we got you jason kapono?

Just curios to know if there was any indication on how the process went as it might be an indicator on how much input jordan will have in the future

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:15

Jordan wanted a shooter and so did Stefanski. Seems like they're working together.

john reply to Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:17

Well - everyone knew they needed a shooter - that was kind of obvious - i'm just wondering if they looked at the list of who might be available and both agreed on kapono or jordan said 'i could use a shooter' and then stefanski went and got one and basically said 'here's your shooter'

I mean, Jordan doesn't have any direct experience with Kapono in his background does he?

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jun 10 at 13:39

The quote does suggest an after-the-fact kind of situation there. I think they're going to be sorely disappointed with both his athleticism (he'll be sticking his nose in the arse of the guard who just whizzed past him) and his reluctance to shoot anything less than decent percentage shots. Jordan's system's gonna have to make him real open real frequently.

But still better than having Evans festering, wasting on the bench.

I don't think the quote implies anything per se just looking for some clarification that's all - has Jordan (damn it it sucks that the GM and coach have the same first name) said anything publicly about Kapono.

Kaponos shooting tendencies dipped in Toronto - but he was better in what he took and when in Miami - maybe they can get him back to it...as for lack of athleticism - I can't see him being worse than Kyle Korver can he?

Sean reply to john on Jun 10 at 14:18

I think his percentages dipped because of the team he had. In Miami, he fed off opportunities from Wade and Shaq on inside-out catch&shoot plays.

He is an opportunity guy who works best when his teammates generate openings he can slide into. In TOR, Bosh is the closest thing they have to an actual interior player, and he prefers to spend his time at 15+ feet on face-ups. Their guards can't penetrate, so drive and dish can't happen.

So what else is left? Transition chances and the rare pin-down, which is what he ended up shooting from what I can recall of the games I saw.

Meanwhile, the Sixers have Brand, Dala, Lou and Thad, four people who can play inside-out fairly well in different ways. With those guys, He can play like Jason Avant and find the seam in the D, settle down and drain shots. I also think he will be solid in the PO because he played at UCLA, which tends to play a similar type of offense.

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:44

Stefanski said Sixers are still looking at a 1 or 2 in the draft. Question was if adding a shooter like Kapono would make it more likely the 17th pick will be a point.

"We’re looking for the best guard available," Stefanski said. "The talk all along was a perimeter. That’s what Eddie (Jordan) wants."

Wayne Ellington, a former star at Episcopal High, is scheduled to join Temple’s Dionte Christmas, LSU’s Marcus Thornton, UCLA’s Darren Collison and Miami’s Jack McClinton at the Sixers’ pre-draft work Thursday.

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 13:45

Chad Ford has a new mock today

sixers still drafting Maynor in his mock - lawson at 22 for those interested

He has Curry moving up to #6 and Jordan Hill dropping all the way to #10.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 14:53

I actually only looked at the sixers pick and where lawson was - curry seems to be a hot commodity - rubio is getting more complicated as he has to 'sue' his own government IRS to get out of his deal now.

Did Jennings move around - seems to be a lot of problems there as he's not working out.

Jennings dropped to 14.

john reply to Brian on Jun 10 at 14:58

Dman, only 3 spots - he's a very tantalizing guy - the kind of 'slipper' tha the sixers maybe sneak in and get but there's so little to know about him since he played in high shcool.

BTW - what i meant regarding the #5 is that Ford seems to indicate the offers aren't great

And if you believe Ford the #5 is in play but not a lot of teams are interested so a motivated team could move up to get said pick

I think I've seen rumors for every pick from 2 to 7 being in play. The Sixers seem to be playing it cool, maybe the price is dropping by the day for one a pick high enough to grab Curry.

Just don't now how motivated they are to move up - I don't get a sense that they are - of course that would be the ideal 'sense' to portray - but i still believe the luxury tax is the 'hard ceiling' and moving up to five chomps on that a lot - regardless of what else you ahve to give up/take back to get it done

Tom Moore on Jun 10 at 15:52

Would be quite surprised if the Sixers move up into the top 10.