A Look At Curry's Passing

deepsixersuede on Jun 13 at 11:06

Brian, you know I would love Curry here but we have nothing that works trade wise other than my past suggestion of swapping picks this year and giving our 2011 #1 also.They want to clear salary or get a veteran and ,in all honesty,I think Curry is a perfect fit FOR Wash..He can play s.g. next to their 2 big p.g.!s and can be p.g. insurance if mister reliable,Arenas, breaks down, a perfect fit.He sure would be nice here but I am hoping Lawson can be close because of a quickness advantage and the defensive end.

Real and Speightacular on Jun 13 at 11:49

Why is his A/T so crap?

THat could be a factor of teammates as well

I really hope you aren't getting your 'realistic hopes' up too high brian cause I have a sinking feeling neither of the two will be on the sixers next year.

Yeah, after our series with the Magic I was riding pretty high on the idea of picking up Gortat, but he's gotten so much exposure now every GM in the league is aware of what he can do. I think both he and Ariza have played their way into a lot of money this off-season, and I'm afraid the Sixers won't be the ones to give it to them.

John reply to noah on Jun 13 at 12:37

Well, GMs and scouts were probably already aware of what he could do - fans are now more aware so he gets more 'blog pub' :)

Ariza was going to make a lot of money before the playoffs - he had a great season in LA - and the lakers most likely will keep him.

As for the Magic, reports are today that for the first time ever the owners will go into luxury tax territory to keep a championship contending team together

I'd bet the Magic were talking about Hedo. Just re-signing him will put them over the luxury tax. If they match a full MLE offer for Gortat they'll be paying almost $11M this year in real dollars for their backup center. I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that, especially considering the limited minutes he gets in ORL.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 13 at 13:36

Brian:

Great minds think alike.

Trade Speights to defat Curry. Sign Gortat withg the MLE.

Win games.

Real and Speightacular on Jun 13 at 14:28
"Brian:

Great minds think alike."

And then again, as they say, fools seldom differ ;-) Kiddin. I'm not gonna flap my gums about this anymore (after this one last time :). It's too much risk to give up Speights for this guy. At the NBA level he doesn't have the speed, ball-handlin or strength to get into the lane and finish. He's not going to be much of a defender at this level unless we're ok with Iverson style gamblin. For every assist, he'll make almost as many turnovers. Decent boarder, I'll give him that, and he is obviously really good in his one dimension, shootin, but if that's essentially all you're bringin to the table, that normally gets you backup burn on a good team. Jordan's system, or one like it, is the best type to maximize his talents, but that doesn't mean he's obvious starter material. My two cents, only a hunch.

Time will tell if he's closer to Reggie Miller or Steve Kerr. We'll look at this again a year from now.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 13 at 14:46

Real:

This is not about whether Curry is a "finisher" - we already have finishers (Iggy and Thad), the Princeton offense does not require the PG to be a "finisher", and I don't see Curry as materially "weaker" than the smufts who will be available at 17. The knock on Curry is, yeah, he's a great shooter, but he's not a PG. Well, number 1, the Princeton ofense does not require a traditional PG, and 2) Curry is a great passer.

And he's also the best shooter in the draft.

What do we need more - Speights to play 20-25 minutes a game at a position where we already have decent depth (Brand, Thad, Smith) or a guy to play alongside Iggy for 30+ minutes a game who can stroke it from the outside and pass the ball?

Real and Speightacular reply to bebopdeluxe on Jun 13 at 15:41

I didn't say it's about him being a finisher. Just sayin he's too one-dimensional, for my tastes. You want a shooter? They just got one of the best in the business in Kapono, but we know it's risky business putting him in the starting lineup for lots of minutes. Just sayin I think Curry's too much of a risk to give up a decent bird in hand. I'd feel better if you were considering a Speights-for-CJ Watson swap, frankly. But not Curry. Not Curry. I may be playin it too conservatively here, but there's too much matza ball potential in Steph.

It's a weird, shaky draft. If you can get Lawson, grab him an run. I think Danny Green can be a great backup, mebbe fringe starter. Beyond that, hey, sit tight for a year and let things develop this coming season. There's no reason to do some panic trade for Curry this year, there'll be other opportunities next season. It's not as if you're a great contender to go all the way next season or something.

Real:

This isn't a "panic" trade...this is being aggressive and taking a risk (trading Speights) to get the PERFECT fit next to Iguodala.

We obviously don't agree about this...and that's cool.

Real and Speightacular reply to bebopdeluxe on Jun 13 at 20:07
"this is being aggressive and taking a risk (trading Speights) to get the PERFECT fit next to Iguodala."

yeah, see, that's it right there: in my mind he's not a perfect fit nothin. he's just the best shooter in the draft (implication: that's not enough by itself).

but, hey, it's all speculation at this point; it'll all come out in the wash soon enough. and, no, summer league won't count for a whole lot (that cuts both ways).

we can definitely agree to disagree, that's cool. that's what makes brian's forum fun :)

I don't see why everyone's so sure that this guy couldn't turn out to be Janerro Pargo. This clip in particular smacks of a desperate ESPN hype campaign to raise draft tv ratings above catastrophic levels. Knight shows us three passes and says he's one of the best passers ever in college ball. Imagine the highlight reels you could make of Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury in college!

Joe reply to Tray on Jun 13 at 19:10

What he said, and RaS.

I have to do more research, as I've said a million times, but Curry seems like he is best suited to be a scorer in the NBA. The Sixers need a Mario Chalmers more than an Eric Gordon IMO.

Dutch reply to Joe on Jun 15 at 10:20

Completely disagree... I'd take Eric Gordon over Mario Chalmers for the Sixers right now, hands down.

That video was from January, so I don't think it was something ESPN produced to build hype for the draft.

He could turn out to be Pargo, he could turn out to be Nash. No one knows, obviously. I just think he has, by far, the best skill set in this draft to come in and make the Sixers a better team. If they had the number 1 pick, I'd be lobbying for them to take Curry. He's smart, he can pass, he can handle the ball, he can shoot the lights out.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 13 at 21:01

Curry > Griffin? Really? I mean, Griffin's sort of a lock to be a pretty good starting power forward in this league. Something I think we could ultimately use, even if we end up playing Brand at the 4.

I disagree. I don't think he'll ever defend, he's just the "best" of the bigs in this draft because he's the only worthwhile big in this draft.

I'd be lobbying for taking Curry.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 14 at 12:26

I mean, you're the only person in the world who thinks that Curry is even the best or second best guard in this draft. Curry reminds me a bit of Acie Law, who shot 46% from three his senior year and put on some of the most stunning displays of shooting ever seen on the college level, as well playing a quite respectable point, and was rewarded with a late-lottery pick in a much stronger draft, only to turn out to be a total non-entity, and not even a passable shooter, as a pro.

John reply to Tray on Jun 14 at 12:32

Yup - he's the only one - which is why most reports today indicate the knicks probably will have no shot cause on many boards he's as high as 3 on their draft boards (only behind thabeet and griffin)

Chris reply to Tray on Jun 13 at 23:17

Knight tends to look for guys with who make smart, high percentage plays.

Anderson and Marbury are definitely flashier and better athletes but not sure they are / were the style Knight would be most impressed with. Both were extremely talented players but they also were over-hyped as they were NYC point guards. At least those guys had decent to good NBA careers, Bassy (Telfair) has been absolutely mediocre.

Of the big name guys playing now, probably Jason Kidd would be most Knight's style.

Tray reply to Chris on Jun 14 at 0:43

My point was that some pretty crappy NBA players were absolutely stellar passers in college. Whereas Knight's touting this 5.3/3.7 A/TO guy, and that's his best season, as one of the best passers that college ball has ever seen.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 13 at 21:13

If anything, doing what he did, with the team he had around him, makes him even more impressive in my eyes. Teams focused EVERYTHING on stopping him. His teammates weren't at his level (I found it interesting that one of the clips that Knight used was a great pass by Curry that his teammate couldn't convert...I wonder how often that happened).

Think about how different things were on the floor when Marshall was out there...and then imagine that for 35 minutes a game.

Whew.

Real and Speightacular reply to bebopdeluxe on Jun 14 at 7:45
"It seems like a fair amount of the issue surrounding Curry is the name on the front of his jersey...if it said "UCLA" or "Michigan State", I wonder if people would feel differnetly."

Damned right I'd feel differently about it. It's a confidence thing. If he's producing those kinds of numbers consistently against the top D1 talent in the nation, you'd feel so much more confident that this kid's for real. Hell, he'd probably be a lock for top 3, worst case top 5 prospect even with the height/weight/strenght/speed/ball-handlin issues.

The kids at the highest levels are better athletes, better coached and have more skill. Cuts both ways, yes, mebbe he'd have teammates who can finish more often, but then too mebbe he makes even more turnovers, mebbe he gets blocked more often or makes more wayward shots b/c he's being guarded by much more talented/trained defenders who can jump out the gym.

Listen, I used to be real excited about this guy. It's a cool story re how he wasn't considered good enough for his father's alma mater and he turns out this shooting phenomenon. But I've had time to think about it some more. FWIW, I highly doubt he's going to totally suck at the NBA level. We're going to see some how-did-he-make-that shots from him, like we saw from his old man, Dell (who had a pretty decent career, btw). But you just can't put a whole lot of faith in all his college accomplishments when he's doing it against dudes who aren't really at his level, overall.

If school didn't matter, Lester Hudson would be a high first-round pick, too.

Anyway, when are we getting back to the best-game-worst-game series?! When's Sp8's turn?! :D

Real and Speightacular reply to Real and Speightacular on Jun 14 at 8:16
"Hell, he'd probably be a lock for top 3, worst case top 5 prospect even with the height/weight/strenght/speed/ball-handlin issues."

Geebus. Just saw that SI.com's mock has Curry 4th. Ha! This is the most hilarious draft season ever. There's always a surprise drop; last year it was Lopez, I wonder who it'll be this year. 11 days of wild rumours to go...

Possibly they would have, but he would have played a higher level of competition for a longer period of time and quite likely would still be in college cause he wasn't as impressive.

People are judging his game and the competition he played, no one is 'dimssing' him because he went to Davidson...except for the fact that the level of competition he played at Davidson (especially since they couldn't even make the tourney this year) is lower than at one of the big 6 conferences.

deepsixersuede on Jun 13 at 23:30

Bebopdeluxe, that to me is the key.Surround this kid with talent and he will flourish.His feel for the game is as good a skill for him as his shooting.He is just a very smart basketball player that would raise our teams I.Q. bigtime.That being said,the addition of Korver #2[Kapono] at the expense of a guy that wasn!t even in our top 8 rotation would make me leery of taking a risk on moving up ,if I!m E.S., because the guy we get at #17 is gonna be pretty close in talent to him and Spieghts may be needed in a starting role if Brand breaks down again.I think waying one against the other is where E.S. is at right now and as C.Witte was quoted at the workouts "we like the pool of players available to us at #17".

Again, no matter what they're planning or hoping to do, they're going to publicly say they like the players who they think will be available at #17.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jun 14 at 1:09

Brian:

I find it interesting that in Stefanski's WIP interview, he was very complimentary of Hinrich's game, and it sounds like Iguodala likes Curry's game...they both realize that they need a guy with some of the stuff they have in their respective toolboxes. Obviously, we will find out if they think that the guys that will probably be there at 17 have good enough toolboxes to get the job done.

BBD, interesting point about Hinrich. Who might be available to provide that type of game at 17? Could be wrong but here's my spin.
- Maynor seems to provide an offensive punch(middle game & 3pt shot) from the point.
- Lawson is either a 3pt shot or transition opportunity.
- Williams has the size and defensive ability to cover 3 positions, 3pt shot, I believe has improved. Not really an offensive player.
- Jennings based upon his recent comments seems to have some Starbury in him.

I kind of like Williams. I watched him play in college and thought he was their point guard. Found out later he wasn't. He facilitated their offense and I think he will hit the NBA 3pt shot. NBA body/defender right now. Point guard mentality. Will provide a physical edge on most NBA points.

deepsixersuede on Jun 14 at 8:05

Brian,Lawson!s main issue seems his ability to get his shot off over somebody, but as a catch and shoot guy he was real good at Carolina
. If he is close to Curry as a catch and shoot guy, how would you break down the other attributes of each player if you were doing a scouting report.

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 8:34

Found out the Sixers aren't going to the NBA Summer League in Vegas -- they're planning on joining with the Nets for a combined team in the Orlando Pro Summer League. Could it be a cost-cutting move?

John reply to Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 11:47

It most likely is a cost cutting move, and something announced a week ago.

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 8:39

Unless Curry slips, I don't see the Sixers being able to trade up to get him. It's tough to do. They'd have to take back a player, too, to make the deal work within the salary-cap rules.

As for taking Curry over Griffin, the NBA almost always goes big over small. Sometimes it's good (Duncan over Billups, D. Howard over Gordon) and others (Bowie over Jordan) not so much.

sfw reply to Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 8:51

Tom, any insight on the workouts?

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 8:56

I was at the first one (Lawson, Williams), but away for Wednesday's (Ellington, et al). Am heading down again today for Maynor and co. Was impressed by Lawson on and off the court. Meeks can make shots. Want to ask Sixers person who talks to us today (Witte) to compare/contrast Lawson and Maynor.

sfw reply to Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 9:02

Thanks! Can't wait for your writeup on them. Did Williams display point guard potential and how was his shooting?

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 9:08

With five guys there that day, Williams didn't stand out in the crowd. We only get to see about the last half-hour, so a lot can happen when we're not permitted to watch.

Will write some more this afternoon following the workout.

sfw reply to Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 9:12

Looking forward to your post!

deepsixersuede on Jun 14 at 9:22

S.F.W., with what Orlando is doing and the fact they may resign Turkoglu adding a physical defensive wing [Williams] isn!t a bad idea,if he can be a spot up shooter. My one fear with him, he was a mid 50!s free throw shooter.

deepsixersuede on Jun 14 at 9:23

So was I.... That is an issue. I'm sure they spent a lot of time trying to correct that in college without success. Like the rest of his game.

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 13:45

We only got to see the final 15 minutes of today's workout. Maynor and Teague were matched up, which was interesting. Each knocked down jumpers in controlled 2-on-2 scrimmaging.

The Maryland kid Vasquez didn't take part due to a minor injury, so they couldn't go 3-on-3. Teague worked out for the second straight day after spraining his left MCL eight days ago, which impressed the Sixers. Teague must decide by tomorrow about staying in the draft, though it sounds like he plans to remain unless his college coaches can convince him to go back to Wake.

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 14:17

Maynor: "It’d be a great fit (with the Sixers). After I’m in here working out, I think I showcased my talent today. At that 17th pick, I know they’re going to be looking for a point guard. I wouldn’t mind coming."

Tom Moore on Jun 14 at 15:52

Both mature players with very different styles. Very successful in college. Of course Lawson won the big one. Winners. It may just depend on which one is considered a best fit for this system.

Just read this on USA Today update on the sixers:

—C Samuel Dalembert, who asked to be traded prior to the Feb. 19 deadline, wouldn't seem to be a good fit for Jordan's Princeton offense, which needs players to use their basketball IQs on the floor.

What else needs to be said. He must go!

Dean, What we'd get in return could be worse regarding salary, talent or attitude. Possibly all three. Might be better waiting him out. His value will only increase as his contract nears an end.

DeanH reply to sfw on Jun 15 at 10:29

I agree with your thought but IF we could find a way to get an equivalent player (similar in fitting in w/ his team) and try a different person, I would try it. But, I agree 100% that to dump him for a worse contract would be dumb. I tend to think that it will be hard to get a worse talent or attitude in return. And we can't afford to get a worse contract in return. Thank you for point this out to me, I tend to forget!