Ivey Opts Out

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 17:16

He does have problems finishing at the rim; our team continues to get softer and softer.

Yup. That's my concern.

Jodie Meeks and Austin Daye are both staying in the draft. Today is the deadline. I think most people had Meeks going back to school, Daye staying in the draft. Teague is another guy potentially on the fence.

john reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 17:24

DX said Teague had picked an agent?

Yeah? I guess he decided since yesterday then. Here's video from the Sixers' workouts yesterday. Witte talks about Teague at the end.

john reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 17:35

Wake Forest’s Jeff Teague will announce shortly that he’s staying in the draft and hiring agent Mike Conley of BDA Sports, a source told DraftExpress.

That's Conley's dad, isn't it? Memphis' point.

john reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 17:45

yup :)

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 17:27

Tom said Meeks looked good at our workout.He would be a steal in the 2nd round but maybe he got a promise, man I wish I got a promise!!!!

Courtney Witte on Jun 15 at 18:29

Jodie Meeks is fighting to get drafted, so hopefully he won't, and we can sign him as an undrafted free agent.

I'd love to see us get Meeks as I think he'd be a great fit. I'd like to see us buy a 2nd round pick or two. Meeks should be a target. Maybe Jack McClinton (he might be undrafted himself).

If the Sixers were to get really creative, draft Nick Calathes and retain his rights as he might be back after a year.

Would you guys be dissapointed to see them draft teague? He's a scoring point but i don't see him as a lou williams type player. He's a point guard that just so happen can score if that makes sense. Just by watching wake forest games you can see he runs the show and gets his teammates involved but looks to score in crunch time. Teague, Williams, and Lawson are my top three in no particular order of guys who will probably be available for us.

john reply to steve on Jun 15 at 18:35

Teague over lawson and maynor wouldn't make sense

steve reply to john on Jun 15 at 18:45

I just like the upside of Teague of Maynor. I don't think Maynor is going to get much better and the hitch in his jumpshot bothers me a little bit. Hes probably the purer point guard but he won't ever be more than a solid starter at best. If teague develops he could be a star guard.

john reply to steve on Jun 15 at 18:48

Teagues been getting some bad reviews from his work outs - that worries me

Teague was dealing with an injury, so that may have hurt his performance in workouts. Still, I'd prefer Maynor or Lawson over him at 17.

John reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 21:29

Actually it had nothing to do with his ability that gave me pause - this is from a DX report on the jersey workouts

Jeff Teague didn’t say a word the entire workout. He was happy to just stand around. He didn’t talk to his big men, instructing them, telling them where to go. He looked a bit disinterested. If that’s the leadership your point guard is showing, then I don’t know. On the other hand he’s obviously a phenomenal athlete. He blew by Vasquez at will. He didn’t shoot that well, though.

Initially I was disappointed when I read the headline. But, after thinking about it, one man's loss is another man's opportunity. This is the time to opt out, before the draft. Now the sixers know what we have on the team and who we don't have next year. I would rather see his spot go to a rookie that has an upside than Royal that is what he is as a player.

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 18:55

Dean H., gotta disagree there.Knowing what he is is why I want him here,at the end of games he can guard 3 positions.I was hoping as we improved he would except his role and become our Bowen which are hard to find now.

ok, you have a point and we can agree to disagree.

I watched the sixers play every game last year, most of them at home in person. They are what they are with the players they have now. I read people saying we need to blow up the team. They have a point. I figure, we have a core of players (Thad, AI9, Brand, and maybe Speights) that are very good. We need to find the pieces around them to complete the team. I want them to win it all. Royal was not a main cog in winning it all. That is all I meant. If he resigns next year, I would be happy but whatever with him and the rest of the team. Maybe we will find lightening in the bottle like some other teams did last year.

Chris reply to DeanH on Jun 15 at 19:15

"... find lightning in the bottle like some other teams...". So when are we going to do a Pau Gasol type deal with Chris Wallace? ;-) Seriously, why don't we ever get a deal like that?

john reply to Chris on Jun 15 at 19:18

So - we're happy ivey is gone cause now the sixers might get lucky in the draft of FA?

Ok

Chris reply to john on Jun 15 at 19:28

I'm neutral on Ivey leaving. He had a role and we could have continued to use him as a hustling stopper. That being said, I don't think he is irreplaceable either. I'd prefer WG to opt out but I don't think that is going to happen. ;-)

Mostly I was making a flippant comment as I'm envious the now champion Lakers got their second star for table scraps. If Kupchak didn't get that manna from heaven that team easily could have disintegrated. It was when Kobe was having his 'season of discontent'.

I really don't care if Ivey leaves either - he's fungile - like willie green is - stefanski just not as stupid as billy king.

I guess I'm more surprised than anything. I mean, it's highly doubtful he's going to get more money from some other team, right? So either he's deluded or he's saying I'd rather be somewhere else for the minimum. That kind of blows if it's the latter.

John reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 21:30

Any number of things could have occured to hm - maybe he read the report that the celtics need a back up pg and thinks he can get that job.

Maybe Jordan told him he'll get zero minutes after they hired him.

Maybe his wife told him she doesn't want to live in philadephia any more.

Any number of reasons - i'm not really worried about it either way - dude changed his mind

Despite his lack of offense I cannot argue with 36 steals to 23 turnovers. He had a decent season for us, but yeah, by no means irreplaceable.

In a way, he wouldn't exactly fit the Princeton offense either.

But the softness of the team will concern me. We need competitors out there. Guys like Speights and Thad just seem to lack aggressiveness at times, while guys like Jason Smith just don't have the physicality.

Tom Moore on Jun 15 at 21:10

Teague is working out for the Bobcats tomorrow.

Ivey initially said he was planning to pick up the option, but apparently changed his mind.

I'd be thrilled if Willie played his role next year. 8-12 minutes a game.

Charlotte's top 6 salaries are pretty ugly. Talk about overpaying for players.

John reply to sfw on Jun 15 at 21:43

More evidence that just cause you played the game doesn't mean you know how to build a team

Tom Moore on Jun 15 at 21:46

FYI: A source in Charlotte said there doesn't appear to be anything about to happen between the Sixers and Bobcats.

Stefanski said, "Sorry. I don't talk about trades. We are talking to a lot of teams, especially before the draft."

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 22:08

My issue with Ivey leaving is that is just one more hole to fill.If we draft Lawson and resign Miller a playoff series with D.Rose is that much more difficult.

Well you shouldn't worry so much about one guy one a mediocre team like teh bulls when you got bigger issues to deal with. Ivey isn't unique, or expensive, or hard to replace.

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 22:13

Is Josh Smith on the market? And somebody said he has a 6 mill. trade kicker. Is B.King Atlanta!s g.m.?

That's the rumor today - that the hawks have money issues and would rather worry about re-signing an old gy like bibby than keeping smith - something about him being uncoachable.

That franchise is disguisting, David Stern should use his powers as lord and master of the NBA and declare some eminent domain and have that league given to someone else

Yup, $6M trade kicker, which I believe was written into the deal by Memphis, correct? They signed him to an offer sheet and Atlanta matched.

Smith is still a BYC, so don't expect him to be moved for picks unless he goes to a team with plenty of cap space before July 1st (Memphis is the only team in the league that could trade for Smith before July 1st, or they could be involved as the third team).

John reply to Brian on Jun 15 at 22:21

If Atlanta trades him they're just idiots - this is one of those times you fire the coach and find a guy to smack smith around for a year and see if he can get his crap together.

Yeah, Memphis tried to poison pill the smith contract - WHOOPSIE

My favorite off season fantasy is to see lebron james get mike d'antoni fired - i'd love it

deepsixersuede on Jun 15 at 22:20

Looks like Memphis forcing their hand didn!t help.Maybe they can give him to Memphis now.It is hard to get to and especially stay on top, the cap won!t let you.

The Spurs, the Lakers, the jazz

they disagree

There are tons of stupidly run franchises in the NBA - and what salary caps do is PROTECT teams from their own stupidity.

Don't be stupid and you'll be fine - unfortunately - lots of stupid people have lots of money and there's no law requiring them to give it to me.

Holy crap this baseball game is fun

I respect Sloan, but they've never gotten over the hump. Not to mention the stupid contract they handed out to AK47. I'm interested to see what they do this Summer w/ the whole Boozer/Millsap situation.

John reply to Brian on Jun 16 at 9:38

Some GMs wonder why Boozer would opt out - injury issues and a bad economy.

yes the jazz have had some missteps - but they are 'contenders' or close to it almost every year - the statement was that the 'cap' makes it hard to stay on top - and that's not true - it makes it hard if you're aren't a well run team.

Royal was our best 3 point shooter last year probably. I hope he still returns.

Tom Moore on Jun 16 at 8:52

It's very unlikely Ivey will be back. He shot 34.2 percent from 3-point in the regular season (Donyell Marshall was at 45.5), but finished the regular season 8-for-28 (28.6) and had the lowest percentage of any Sixer to make a 3 in the playoffs (28.6). He was also a bit of a disappointment at the defensive end. Still, it's hard to complain about a minimum-salary guy.