My Draft Board

From sportingnews:
17. Philadelphia. Jeff Teague, PG, Wake Forest. With the trade for SF Jason Kapono, the Sixers are locked in on point guards, even if they re-sign PG Andre Miller. Teague has been proving he can run the point in workouts. The Sixers canceled a workout with G/F Chase Budinger, indicating they’re no longer searching for shooters.

So if the first 11 guys are off the board, and Evans is still, somehow, on it, you're taking Jack McClinton over Tyreke Evans. I think you could also make a case for Lawson having the best basketball IQ. Maybe Curry was constantly being trapped and whatnot, but nearly 4 turnovers a game can't solely be chalked up to aggressive defense.

Nash, Kidd, LeBron and Wade are always among the league leaders in turnovers. Do they have poor basketball IQs?

john reply to Brian on Jun 19 at 14:16

While not bad basketball IQs per se I think Wade is quite over rated personally and his injury history - he's going to cost someone A LOT of money :)

I doubt he leaves Miami. He'll cost Riley a lot of money, then Riley will just leave for greener pastures, like he did in NYC and LA.

john reply to Brian on Jun 19 at 14:35

Oh i doubt he leaves miami too - but I hope bosh doesn't end up there for his sake - cause i don't see wade as that durable - or that 'teammatey' either.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jun 19 at 17:17

As "bad" as they are -- and LeBron's not a point guard -- their assist-turnover ratio crowns Curry's pretty hard.

Lebron is a facilitator regardless of position

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jun 19 at 18:42

Ok, guy, whatevs. The ratios are miles apart. Period.

And college is miles apart from the NBA

What's your point?

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jun 19 at 20:35

Really, the question is what's your point? Sometimes you snipe for sniping's sake whether it's germane or not.

Sometimes? More like almost always... it's an inferiority complex coupled with too much time on his hands. Dude needs to get a life.

Go 76ers.

If Lawson isn!t there at #17 I am going with M.Thornton,W.Ellington or T.Williams and targeting T.Douglas or Collison with a 2nd pick.I like Douglas better than Maynor,stronger,better defensively and a better shooter.

Why do you assume there will be a second pick?

I'm not into Harden as much so high as I'd prefer Iggy to man the 2 (so Thad can move to the 3). Until they give that a fair shot I don't want someone who will force Iggy to stay at 3 and Thad at 4.

I'd switch Lawson over Holiday as while Holiday has 'upside' Lawson has actually performed. Holiday is tough to evaluate as he was switched to SG and he didn't really excel there. Not his fault but I'd rather not draft another Antonio Daniels.

Question: If you can buy an early second round pick for some cash would you take a flier on any of these 3 guys: Nick Calathes, Jodie Meeks and Jack McClinton? I'd buy a pick for any of those 3 but would prefer Calathes (even if we wait a year) as he can play PG (perhaps best passer in the draft) and SG plus he is a good shooter and all around stat stuffer.

Chris reply to Chris on Jun 19 at 4:15

Not that I think Holiday will be a bust but he actually isn't that athletic. He does have good size and strength but he really didn't have that good a year at UCLA. I used to like him more as a prospect but looking at his statistics has me having some doubts.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 19 at 7:56

Brian:

If we wind up moving DOWN next Thursday night, I fear that it will be the start of a truly HORRIFIC summer.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 19 at 7:56

Brian:

bebopdeluxe on Jun 19 at 7:58

Brian:

If we wind up moving DOWN next Thursday, I fear that it will be the start of a HORRIFIC summer.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 19 at 8:47

Brian:

If it turns out that we move DOWN next Thursday, I will be bracing myself for a truly HORRIFIC summer.

bebopdeluxe on Jun 19 at 8:48

Sorry - my computer is freaking out this morning...

Dave Berri looks at the point guards - his way
It's not all numbers obviously - but if I had to choose a numbers guy - I'd probably go with Berri over Hollinger in terms of reliability

Nice Post Brian,

I would probably go with a slightly different list:
1. Curry
2. Rubio
3. Holiday
4. Lawson or Williams(haven't decided yet)
5. Evans

Sometimes, I think I might rate Williams and Lawson above Holiday. I am still not sure which one I'd pick between the two. I love bigger athletic guards like Williams, especially willing quality defenders who can pass and rebound. Plus, his shot has continued to improve. This is a guy who has said he'd rather score 10 and help two teammates get 10 then score 30 himself. He and Iguodala in the backcourt would be an interchangeable matchup nightmare on both ends, and he, Thad and Dala on the break would be almost unfair.

However, Lawson's production and athleticism is quite impressive. At worst, he is a waterbug coming off your bench to push the ball on one end and pressure it on the other.

6. Maynor
7. Ellington
8. Harden
9. Flynn
11. Beaubois
12. Calathes
13. Teague
14. Sergio llull

Once Maynor drops off, I really start looking more toward shooters and my free agent target shifts more toward Jarrett Jack.

DeanH reply to Sean on Jun 19 at 11:00

Do you really think we need 2 Williams on this team? I am a Lou supporter, for now, but don't really think we need another Williams! :-)

Sean reply to DeanH on Jun 19 at 12:57

Hey, if having a team that sounds like a malpractice law firm makes us champs, sign me up.

Tom Moore on Jun 19 at 11:09

I'm told Mullens and another guy are slated to work out for Sixers tomorrow. Will let you know when I get the official word.

Dannie, call it cautious optimism.If they like Mullins upside, go with it.Hell,maybe in 2 years they finally will put the pieces in the proper places,[Mullins,Brand,Young,Iggy, ??].

Real and Speightacular on Jun 19 at 12:14

MY preferences...

1. Lawson
  2. T-Will (but G. Henderson first if for some reason he slipped this far)
  3. Maynor

We should be able to get one of 'em. Not sayin he's dumb -- clearly, he's not -- but can't see how Curry could have the best basketball IQ with an A/TO ratio as atrocious as his was this past season.

In the second round I like Thornton and D. Green, in that order.

Sean, if T.Williams can become a legit 3pt. threat I sure would give an Iggy/T.Williams backcourt a chance to succeed.On draftexpress 2 guard ranking Williams ass/turn. is incredible and the versatility this team would have would be incredible.

He did shoot 38% from deep this year, and from my amateur POV, he seems to have a good stroke, although he tends to get streaky due to the Jason Smith problem(releasing on the way down too often). It is a correctable flaw though.

Also, he works out with Gary Payton, idolizes Magic and is a very humble, hardworking kid with a great personality. A guard tandem of Williams and Iguodala in the Princeton Offense would be crazy!

It would be "out of the box" thinking on E.S.!s part but where we are picking, if Lawson is gone, I would consider him the b.p.a. if he is there.

I guess you all saw where Iguodala's being sued for child support for knocking up a destitute video model.

Yeah, she wants like 12K/month or something for diapers.

Looks like she just wants too much.

Tray reply to Brian on Jun 19 at 15:41

In an interview a few years ago with XXL, the rap mag, Clayanna said:

“I can't stand a guy that's always bragging about what he got. The irony is that I attract most of those guys 'cause they look at me as some sort of materialistic girl,” she explains. “I don't need a guy to support me, but you better bring something to the table. ‘I ain't saying she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' wit' no broke niggas.'”

john reply to Tray on Jun 19 at 17:55

Yes i read it - and moved on - as it wasn't relevant t the sixers

Tray reply to john on Jun 20 at 0:00

Enjoying sports on a purely statistical level must be incredibly dull.

John reply to Tray on Jun 20 at 11:10

I enjoy watching sports on many level - i'm not a TMZ voyeuristic drone who cares about the personal life of the players on a team I root for. Iguodalas law suit with the mother of his child is not something I care to read about or talk about.

I enjoy watching sports, I don't get obsessed over it, I don't get upset when the team I root for loses I don't get over joyed when they win - my life isn't defined by the performance of a sports team.

The fact that you posted the article tells me more about you than you think my lack of interest tells you about me.

Real and Speightacular reply to John on Jun 20 at 13:03
"Iguodalas law suit with the mother of his child is not something I care to read about or talk about."

and yet you felt compelled to snipe about Tray's entry regarding it. i mean, the other clear and obvious option is to say nothing, but you really can't help yourself, can you? tray has his "obsessions" and you, no doubt, have yours.

And I seem to be one of yours it seems - since this had nothing to do with you - right?

Real and Speightacular reply to John on Jun 20 at 15:11

What's good for the goose, John. But to stay on point, it's about your tone, guy. Geez, nevermind, you're never, ever going to get it.

Snipe on, soldier.

Been thinking about BJ Mullens. I think the Sixers are hoping an interested team wants to move in front of them or makes them an offer to move into their spot to take him. Pushing back a guard for the Sixers.

1.Jrue Holiday
2.Tyreke Evans
3.Stephen Curry
4.Ty Lawson
5.Terrence Williams
6.Brandon Jennings
7.Jeff Teague
8.Eric Maynor
9.Marcus Thornton
10.Toney Douglas

Top three guys probably won't be there but if Holiday starts slipping hopefully Ed Stefanski will make the move to get up a few spots to grab him.

Tom Moore on Jun 20 at 17:42

Mullens wasn't lacking in confidence today, referring to himself in the third person with his third answer. He runs the floor well and has good range with his shot. Reports are Detroit will take him at 15.

Courtney Witte on him today: "He is, potentially, going to be a very good basketball player in the NBA. He’s just a big-time talent who’s clearly one of the top three bigs in the draft. As you probably saw today, he can shoot the basketball. He’s got skill. He can go with his left hand, his right hand. He just needs more time."

According to published reports Mullens might now have a promise from the Pistons and that the sixers only brought him in to fulfill an earlier promise/committment regarding him working out.

Tom Moore on Jun 20 at 21:02

Interesting that Mullens' agent is Andy Miller, who also represents Andre Miller, Marreese Speights and Eric Maynor.

Guys, is there any p.g.!s or s.g.!s that they would possibly trade the #17 pick for in the league? [Morrow,N.Young,G.Hill,A.C.Law,B.Rush] just wondering how high they are on the players available at #17.