Who's Got What Left?

deepsixersuede on Jul 6 at 7:35

Brian, I am starting to agree with E.S.!s patient approach.Other than your Gortat idea,there isn!t another position I would address other than p.g. .Getting Miller for the Kidd type numbers with the 3rd year a team option would be fine by me and probably the best he can get.With the shooting Portland has they may end up going after Sessions, that wouldn!t surprise me.L.Will.[s.g.],Thad[s.f.],Iggy[s.g.],Spieghts [p.f.] and Jason [center] all need court time to be evaluated and adding a guy that limits their progress would be taking away from this team!s goal of being competitive in 2 years.

If we re-sign Miller, will we have any money left to acquire another quality shooter with NBA experience (e.g. Wafer)? Or would we be done, except for maybe acquiring a guy like Dionte Christmas for practically nothing?

They could use the entire MLE and ten re-sign Miller. But they won't, because it would push them over the tax.

If the re-sign Miller they are probably done.

Jack reply to tk76 on Jul 6 at 9:37

Yikes. With that scenario, there's still not enough shooting on this team. The addition of Kapono and Holiday (and return of Brand/Smith) isn't enough to make us respectable in that department. I really liked that Miller sign-and-trade for Blake/Outlaw senario... but I guess that's not out there anymore.

I like Miller, but we need to move on... if we don't, we're gonna spin our wheels again this season... shooting bricks from three-point land. Maybe that's something we just have to live with until Sammy's crap contract leaves town and we can find a way to move Lou.

Gdog reply to Jack on Jul 6 at 11:10

Good point on this..however is the goal to say..."gee we cant beat cleveland/boston or orlando..so do we just tank the season and hope we get a good lottery pick or do we try to remain competitive...maybe with a 500 record and get some more playoff experience" ?
Its a valid argument eitherway.
I think we have to see what this team can do with Brand...and move from there. My guess is if he plays well we can trade him to a contending team at the all star break for a young asset or if the team is REALLY good and we feel we can make a run...then we keep him.

Jack reply to Gdog on Jul 6 at 12:01

Well, I'm just wodnering what's the best move to make this team better... both now and in the near future. I'd rather not watch the worst shooting team in the NBA for two years in a row... I'd like to see some improvement in that area.

If they don't re-sign Miller, they've got some money to play with. Granted, they'll have a hole at point guard (just Jrue and LouWill and possibly a super-cheap veteran), but they can go out and sign a competent shooter, like Anthony Parker or Von Wafer, who'd really address a major need on this team.

I'm kinda still hoping for some kind of sign-and-trade with Miller, but we'll just have to wait and see...

john reply to Jack on Jul 6 at 12:04

I feel a point guard NOW for the next season or two is vastly more important than a bench shooter, they added kapono who will be a step up and maybe ahearn from the summer league team who is strong from the 3.

Lou Williams CANT be the starting point guard on a team that expects to progress, i'm not talking wins and losses, just learning the system and young guys growing, and holiday won't be ready.

I will consider it a monumental failing if the only two points on the roster in training camp are williams and HOliday

I'll be shocked if they're the only two PGs on the roster. They'll add someone, best-case is probably Bibby, middle of the road is probably Jack, lower end is maybe Knight or Ronnie Price, but they'll add someone. I'd like to see them make a modest offer to C.J. Watson if Bibby/Miller/Jack fall through. Nothing to lose.

Jack reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 12:46

I've been following this blog with your point guard updates and such, Brian. Nice job here.

"best-case is probably Bibby, middle of the road is probably Jack, lower end is maybe Knight or Ronnie Price, but they'll add someone. I'd like to see them make a modest offer to C.J. Watson if Bibby/Miller/Jack"

Do you think the Bibby ship has sailed or is there an outside chance remaining? Frankly, Jarrett Jack would be a great pickup for us... he's only 25 y.o. and he scored 13 ppg last year [FG% = 0.446; 3P% = 0.339]. Do you think the Pacers will fight to keep him or could we grab him if we want him?

Actually, we have a Pacers' blogger on here once in a while, maybe we can get his take on how badly Indy wants Jack.

Alvin reply to john on Jul 6 at 12:45

I strongly agree. Why patch a problem (3-point shooting) and create another major one (point guard)? I'd rather they re-sign Miller for about what Kidd got. The team would be in much better shape for the upcoming season.

I have a feeling the Kapono deal is being overlooked a little bit. The PO requires spacing, so I have a feeling Jordan is going to find a lot of minutes for him which should really, really help the team's three-point percentage. Now what having Kapono on the floor will do to all the other areas of the game is another subject, but I expect the 3P% to go up this season. They shouldn't be in the cellar anymore.

Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Jul 6 at 10:07

Brian,

Do you know where we can watch the Orlando Summer Pro League games online?

CSTH

I think orlandomagic.com will have the games on.

According to a comment in a philly paper today

The games are open to league personnel and the media, but not to the public. *

Seen no direct mentino that games will stream online, but since the sixers are more worried about saving money this summer than anything else in my opinion, this summer league feels like a huge waste of time

The games are suppose to be on the Net's site:

Says watch next to schedule of game.

You can watch the games online, here's the link.

Anyone else shocked Russell Westbrook is playing?

The Sixers play at 3 p.m. against the Pacers. We should get to see Speights bitchslap Tyler Hansbrough, which seems like a good way to kick off a Monday to me.

I'd rather bitchslap Larry Bird!

Hey, someone had a question about how badly Indy wants Jack above. Any thoughts?

Jack reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 14:48

From what I gather, Jack and McRoberts are priorities 1a and 1b. I'm not sure why neither have signed their qualifying offers yet though. They would both be unrestricted free agents next season.

Jack is often used as a combo guard in this offense and started a lot toward the end of the season, so losing him really hurts their backcourt situation.

john reply to DeanH on Jul 6 at 14:56

Of course - when you click on the link it goes nowhere

Bibby considering one year contract with the sixers. Looks to hit big deal next summer.

john reply to zig on Jul 6 at 11:54

For accuracies sake (and because realgm summaries of articles tend to be misleading or downright wrong

The Source of realgm's 'news'

That would pretty much be ideal in my eyes. A veteran familiar with the system who can still play at a high level to come in and give Jrue/Lou guidance for a year. No long term impact on the cap.

john reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 12:31

Except for all those reports indicating that the hawks and bibby are closing in on a 3 year deal

Do you have a link. I've been in meetings all morning, haven't gotten through my wire sweep yet.

john reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 12:39

not off the top of my head - find sekou smith on twitter, he has some twits about it, it's just the rumor now - nothing seroius - but 3 years is better than 1 :)

zig reply to john on Jul 6 at 15:05

here is the real link

it said that a formal offer was not made, but possibilities are being discussed, whatever that means

bebopdeluxe on Jul 6 at 12:44

Bibby is not coming to the Sixers on a one-year MLE deal.

I would certainly offer him a two-year deal (like BOS offered to Rasheed), but it sounds like the Sixers would rather pay Miller $16-18 million for two seasons than give Bibby $11 million for two seasons...and if you can explain why they would prefer Miller over Bibby in that scenario, please enlighten me.

I am preparing myself for Lou/Jrue/scrub as our PG rotation for next season...and while I am actually OK with THAT, it just makes me ABOSLUTELY FURIOUS that when Brand went down in February, Stefanski and DiLeo - presented with a golden opportunity to develop the kids (start Speights, play Iggy and Thad at the 2 and 3, give Lou more minutes at the point), instead showed ZERO sack by inserting Green at SG and giving Evans more rotation minutes.

So...let me get this straight:

Brand is out for the year, but because DiLeo wanted to try to keep his job (his COACHING job, as opposed to his player personnel/development job), and Stefanski wanted to justify the two HUGE contracts he gave out last summer, they played it safe and tried to make the playoffs...but THIS season, we may be giving the PG job to two guys who have combined college/NBA experience at PG of something like 1000 minutes...

Way to piss away a year of Brand's contract, guys.

Why is it OK to "play the kids" this season and accept the bumps along the way (with Brand IN the lineup) but it was playoffs-or-bust last February when Brand was out?

I REALLY hope that Tom Moore, Kate Fagan or SOMEBODY holds Stefanski's azz to the fire until he answers that question, if it is going to be the "Lou and Jrue Show" this upcoming season.

DeanH reply to bebopdeluxe on Jul 6 at 13:03

Often I don't agree or see your thinking but on this point I agree 100%. It just does not make sense after last year. Why, a year later, change things that could have paid big dividends last year if they would have let them play. Would like someone hold Ed S accountable for his decisions.

It's a fair question, I have an issue with the win at all costs thing last season. Green was already in the starting lineup before Brand's initial injury. Personally, I would've removed him on day one as the new coach, but DiLeo didn't. Then when Brand came back he wasn't even around long enough to work his way back into the starting lineup, Green remained in. When Brand finally went down in Feb. the team was playing really well and had a legit shot at the #4 seed. I don't think you can throw that away, especially considering the teams they were beating. Plus, I'm not sure starting Speights and giving him 30 minutes/game was necessarily the best thing for his development anyway. Some players really need to earn their roles.

As for this season, my best guess is that they don't see going into the season w/ Lou/Jrue/Vet. min at PG as waving a white flag. If they play the right lineup (PG, AI, TY, EB, SD), the PG shouldn't need to score all that much and in the PO the need for a traditional PG is minimized. I think they definitely feel they're a playoff team as constructed. I probably agree, although I'd like to see them go for more if they can do it w/out jeopardizing future or signing someone to a bad contract.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 14:19

Brian:

Brand initially got hurt on December 17th...he came back on January 24th, and then was out for good on February 3rd. In the 15 games between December 17th and January 24th, Speights minutes went up...and so did his production. In 20.1 mpg, he averaged 10.9 ppg (shooting 72-for-127, or 57% from the field), 4.3 rbg and 1.5 bpg.

Was every game a great game? Nope. But the kid was being given minutes in Brand's absence (many of those minutes, as you might expect, with the 2nd team), and he was doing quite well for a rookie (leading all rookies in PER at the time). In addition, looking at the "close and late" numbers at 82games.com as well as his numbers when playing with the starters, Speights was a very productive player. I certainly understand that the team had thrown the tourniquet back on and were mainlining the smack of "run with us" during Brand's absence, but you and I both know that it was a function of playing Iggy/Thad at the 3/4...and if the long-term plan still has to be Iggy, Thad and Brand at the 2, 3 and 4, then slipping back into the gameplan that existed before Brand got here (the gameplan that drove us to go out and GET Brand in the first place) was fools-gold.

When Thad (who only had one year of college experience) finally got his minutes permanently increased in late January of his rookie season, he responded...the team did well...AND he got valuable experience that helped the team last season. The same thing could have happened with Speights (a guy who had two years of college experience, and a guy who seemed pretty damn comfortable out there a lot of the time), but he never got that chance...and not only did HE not benefit from getting those minutes (minutes that would make him even more valuable this season), but Iggy and Thad wasted more time at the 3 and 4...and we still have the "can Iggy play SG?" questions...

Just a poor strategic call last season by Stefanski and DiLeo, IMO...and one that looks even worse now that it looks like we are ready to hand the keys to Lou and Jrue. Think of how much better we would be right now if Speights would have ben the 20-25 mpg starter as opposed to Green...if Iguodala and Thad would have played the 2 and 3...if Lou would have played more minutes at PG...

Stefanski and DiLeo went-short-term in their focus last season...and for what? To lose in the first round?

And now that Brand is back, when we should be adding him to the guys who all got valuable experience in his absence, we have a RIDICULOUSLY inexperienced PG situation...we still have questions about Iggy/Thad at the 2/3....

Stefanski and DiLeo blew it.

Agree that thad and iguodala should've been playing their natural positions, they should've never moved Willie back into the starting lineup. Disagree that Speights should've been handed the starting position. Thad saw his minutes grow because he played defense in his rookie season. Speights never did that and I don't think you can make a kid a starter until he at least shows he's willing to try to defend.

john reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 14:51

I wonder how much money the sixers made on being in the playoffs and was attendance any higher during the regular season...that's probably the justification...like it or not...get angry about it or not...corporate ownership is about P&L and maximizing profits, especially in a crappy recession like year.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 15:25

While I would freely admit that I won't see the subtle things out on the floor that would point to Speights being a good or bad defender, it is my view point that if he had played more of his minutes with Miller, Iggy and Thad, his defense would have been better. The numbers at 82games.com suggest that he had a much more positive impact when he played with the starters than when he played with the subs...and my guess is that more positive impact was on both sides of the ball.

I'm not sure what you're looking at over at 82games.com, every stat I see screams defensive sieve to me. Check out his top 10 5-man units, only one has a passable defensive rating of 102.

His on/off numbers are even worse in the key stats, namely rating and defensive rebounding. None of this is completely his fault, he didn't get to spend a lot of time next to Dalembert, but that's another discussion. I don't see anything here that runs contrary to my perception from watching the games. The guy can't spell defense, yet.

eddies' heady's reply to bebopdeluxe on Jul 6 at 14:58

Co-signed. Amen, bro.

They have blown it IF, as you say, they are going to hand the keys to Lou/Jrue. And the ridiculously inexperienced PG situation is why that can't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees draft pick will bite this franchise for years to come. The measurables and athleticism blinded them from actual fit and a needed, but more ready, minor complementary piece to the nearly assembled puzzle.

Most fans easily forget the something like 18-4 record in Jan. and Feb. of this past season with some heavyweights being slaughtered within that win streak. This franchise is not that far away from serious contention, mainly b/c the rest of the league isn't head and shoulders above like the 90's Bulls or the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were.

Chris reply to bebopdeluxe on Jul 6 at 15:15

I agree with your point (they should have worried about developing the kids) rather than go for the wins last year. Definitely they should have worked on Thad as the 3 and Iggy as the 2 and given Lou more minutes at PG. Where I differ slightly is I agree with Brian that Speights had to work on defense more before he could become a starter. Though I do wish he got more consistent minutes a game. Somewhere in the 20-25 range. In the middle of the year it seems he got that but towards the end they really cut back on his minutes.

I'd prefer Bibby to Miller if we could get him. He fits what we need a little better and if he takes a shorter deal to get more next year that is fine by me. I'd also be happy with Parker or Wafer as a pickup (or Jack).

If we were looking for the best shooter we could get though (regardless of position), I think Steve Novak would be the guy. That guy is money (everyone knows when he is in he is going to shoot) and he doesn't miss free throws very often either. I don't think we could find minutes for him though with Brand, Thad, Speights and Smith. Maybe in the Princeton Offense he could play a stationary SG on the perimeter. ;-)

I hope there is some way to watch a rebroadcast/archived version of the game. I think I enjoy summer league games more than some of the regular season. It lets you see some future talent that otherwise will be nailed to the bench (although Thad and Speights did get reasonable minutes as rookies.)

This feed is putrid. Buffers every 10 seconds. If anyone can stomach it, give us a breakdown here.

john reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 15:14

My feed is fine exept that it's tiny and I'm off to lunch and the commentators are GOD AWFUL makeing me want to break my monitor.

Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Jul 6 at 15:29

speights has 16 points 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter. real and speightacular must have a woody.

Terrible basketball, really... though Speights is very impressive, as we'd expect. He has 20 of our 36 points at halftime (we have a one point lead) and the majority came on outside jumpers (at least while I was watching). As people have said, if this guy improves defensively, he'll be quite a basketball player.

Real and Speightacular reply to Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Jul 6 at 18:39

Schwing!

20 points in the first half for Speights. He's light a taller version of Lou Williams in Vegas.

Any feeling about Holiday's play? Not so concerned about scoring or playmaking as much as polish and does he seem under control... (that's polish, and not Polish as in the Hammer ;)

Does he seem like a guy who could be thrown on the floor for NBA minutes witthout being completely lost?

I'm not watching. Just caught an update. The buffering was out of control.

zig reply to tk76 on Jul 6 at 16:09

he seemed a little rattled out there. at the end of the third, when the clock was running out he did not really seem like he knew what he was doing imo.

Jack reply to zig on Jul 6 at 16:16

I get the same impression... not exactly leading the team, so to speak... but play is pretty chaotic and the dual team format can't be helping things.

I'm sure its hard to tell in these type of games. Hopefully we will see him being in control on the floor, even if he is not quite ready to be in control of the team.

OT...Pacers up 2 with 90 seconds left.

The buffering is fine on Windows Media Player. These announcers are the worst. Everytime the CDR gets the ball he takes the shot, complete ball hog. Speights tore it up in the first half, not so much second. Jrue had a good steal and a block in third. Im pulling for D. Christmas but has not done much.

Holiday hasn't been in control of the team, but with Speights and CDR looking for theirs I'm not sure many guys could be. He's been all over the place on D.

Christmas just hit his first shot of the game with a couple minutes left in the forth. Does anyone have a statistical rundown of how undrafted players who made the league performed in summer leagues? I wonder if gunning is encouraged ...

I'm not sure if there are historical summer league stats around. I'd be interested to see how a guy like Anthony Morrow did last year for GSW. How did he make the GSW roster?

Good call on Morrow. Turns out he was dominant:

At the time of signing his contract, Morrow had averaged 18.6 points in six previous Summer League games for the Warriors, while converting 16-of-19...yes 16-of-19 three-pointers (84.2%)

(source here: http://www.nba.com/warriors/fanzone/2008_summer_league_blog.html )

Finally got on the video. Speights just picked up a technical with the game tied overtime, under 2 minutes to go :)

Jrue seems to be dribbling too much to me, but he just had a nice dish to CDR who got his layup blocked by about 5 Pacers.

Jrue just forced a turnover on the inbounds pass with the Sixers down 2, then I believe he turned it right back over and fouled the guy going in for the layup on the other end. This is kinda tough to watch, even tougher to listen to these idiot announcers.

http://twitter.com/coachthorpe - he's at the summer league

Speights supposedly took most of his shots from 19 feet...not a lot of posting up...which means he was doing what we already knew he could do - meh - be nice to see him show some work on things he was weak at last year - but it's summer league - i thought it would mostly be pick up ball

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 20:38

Where did you get that from? I read the live feed from Thorpe (who we have continually viewed as suspect anyway) and all it says that he started out shooting from the outside. Thorpe mentions his success inside just a bit later.

Real and Speightacular on Jul 6 at 18:48

Marreese is gonna be juuust fine.

Jrue....well, not off to an impressive start (i'm being charitable) but it's early yet. Summerleague doesn't prove who can play, but it does tend to expose who can't.

Man, Jrue better show me something in the next few games or I'm writing him off as a bust.

Well, maybe I'll give him a few NBA games, but just because I am patient when it comes to these things.

john reply to tk76 on Jul 6 at 18:59

Dude showed defense - who the hell plays defense in summer league?

Assuming he learns how to play defense and how to be 6'10/6'11 in the nba and post up he'll be fine.

HOliday was fine for a guy who just got drafted two weeks ago and isn't even playing for his coaches. He played defense which guys in summer league never do

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 19:06

It'd be nice if he were consistently a defensive force, but if this game is any indication (2blks, 1 stl), it sure looks like he's at least passable defensively if you're willing to take the good with the bad.

Looks to me like both these players played to their natural strengths. As for who minimized their known weaknesses, I don't think it's much of a contest (A/TO for Jrue? yee-ikes!)

Rah rah rah who/what you want and boo hoo hoo who/what you will, but on this day it's pretty clear who played better overall for their position.

And it's clear that it's summer league, where John Salmons once made Larry Bird stop and say wow - if Speights only wants to take 19 footers, that's great, but I'm not impressed because I know he can take 19 footers, show me what you've been working on thiss offseason - if anything.

You want to praise the guy who just finished his first year but showed nothing new but criticize the 19 year old guy who just got drafted had 3 days of practice with guys he's never played with before and a mixed bag of coaching the only guy playing defnse on the floor.

You can't win if you do't play defense.

And if speights don't play defense, speights sits, at least he did last year...i think that should be motivation enough to improve

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 19:16

And as if on cue here comes John's army of strawmen to invent positions/stances I didn't make. I'll wait til you find it convenient once again to make the overall impact argument. Or mebbe i'll wait til the every-team-has-to-have-its-balance-of-roles light comes on. It'll come, as it always does to all sensible, reasonable people ;-)

Take it easy, J.

p.s. wonder how one-spot-later lawson'll do in his debut.

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 19:20

p.s. aren't you the same john who was praising salmons just a couple months or so ago?

Actually what I said, and always said was that John Salmons was better than Willie Green. I know it's not important to you to get your facts right when you attack me but you can try it.

People who want to bash Holiday (such as yourself) will read too much into summer league much like you're reading way too much into speights out put in summer league.

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 19:30

Alright John, if you want to pretend the other visitors here don't have eyes and minds of their own and need your interpretation of what I actually wrote, you go on ahead and enjoy yourself :D

Enjoy the summer!

Real and Speightacular reply to john on Jul 6 at 20:45
"Im also concerned that according to thorpe who was out the game Speights seemed to tire a bit too much in the latter stages of the game."

Well, what he actually was that Speights "petered out" at the end. Which may mean he looked tired to Thorpe at the end (which would be odd for a dude only on the court for 21-odd minutes. Thorpe's still a way sketchy dude). Or it could mean his shots weren't falling as often.

Neither is a great scene for M16, but I think we've got to be careful how we so comfortably interpret what's said. Probably best to stick to the actual quote where possible/easy. That's how things spread. Somebody takes you at your confident-sounding interpretation of some sketchy enough eye-witness and then goes around other forums saying he was 'tired' and that kind of thing.

What a world, what a world.

Interesting ESPN article here.

If they redid every NBA draft (lottery era) who would have went where (top 10s only). While the Sixers had some bad drafts early, lately they've done very well. Iggy was listed as 2nd in his draft class and Thad was listed 3rd for his:

john reply to Chris on Jul 6 at 19:36

Yeah, they've been on a roll - in a couple of years hopefully speights enters the top 10 - one of the reasons i'm ok with the holiday pick - they've had a very nice run

john reply to john on Jul 6 at 19:38

Whoops - didn't notice they already redid the 2008 draft (wrote response first, ah well) - think it's a bit early for 'redrafting' after only just one season

Chris reply to john on Jul 6 at 20:52

Yeah, I agree it is early for the last couple of drafts.

I think Thad will get to 2nd (I don't think he'll catch Durant though if you count defense and efficiency he could in pass him in wins produced or adjusted +/-) and Speights will (probably) enter the top-10. He has top 5 or higher athleticism and skills. He doesn't seem to have that burning desire to dominate yet (at least, besides scoring). He could use some 'Junkyard Dawg' or 'Psycho-T' type attitude.

John reply to Chris on Jul 6 at 21:04

Well, I'm no convinced on Speights desire just yet either way...waiting to see how he improves in his second season. What did he work on, what sort of improvement. Does he show the iguodala/young/korver type of 'work ethic' on the court or does he end up a dalembert on the court...i'm hoping the first one, but worries about his work ethic were one reason he slid in the draft according to reports.

28 points on 26 shots for Speights, that's not very good. 11 boards and 2 blocks are both good signs. 3 turnovers, not good.

Jrue didn't shoot well at all, 3/11 for 9 points, 0/2 from three. 4 boards, 4 steals, 2 blocks, all excellent. 2 assists, 5 turnovers...very, very bad.

Impressed with Jrue's defense, both from the stats and from what I saw. Very unimpressed w/ the quality of play. Speights was clearly the best player on the floor. Brandon Rush, clearly was not.

John reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 21:06

28 points on 26 shots? Man that's willie green like efficiency...

Chris reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 21:12

Yeah, I expected better shooting (efficiency) out of Speights. Too early to say with Jrue yet as it is only his first game.

Question: did they run him at PG or SG? I'm curious to see how he is when he has the ball. Howland said at the end of the season he was way past Westbrook for his age when he has the ball in his hands.

Is there a box score for this game posted somewhere?

John reply to Chris on Jul 6 at 21:16

From the little bit I was able to see - Holiday was being run as the point - also reports from summer league practice indicated it as well...

He handled the ball on every offensive possession I saw, maybe a little too much. I didn't see a whole lot of plays being run. Here's the link to the box score.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jul 6 at 22:15

Both the shooting and the turnovers are aberrations against his usual form. Maybe he was foolin around with too many shots from outside. Anyway, we already know he's got the goods offensively, we've seen that repeatedly. And his low turnover rate is something I've ballyhooed on more than one occasion here. That's a safe bet as a one-off write-off, too. What's encouraging is the boarding, which we've seen flashes of before (I'll save that for your review Bri, whenever that comes), his 6/6 from the line and the (more than) passable defense. It was a 20-min run in summer league. Doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's fun.

Jrue is showing the defensive prowess that we all kind of expected. Unfortunately the ills that trailed him in his one year of college followed him into this one game, too. There's an awful lot he's got to absorb and summer league's not likely to prove anything definitively one way or the other, but it will be nice to see some offensive sparks and smarts as the games go on.

Real and Speightacular reply to Real and Speightacular on Jul 6 at 22:24

(Sorry, I was confusing Speights' run time with another player I was following. Both Jrue and Marreese ran a full 37 minutes.)

Could be a one-off, write-off, or it could be what happens when too much of an offensive load is put on Speights. Either way, not really something to be concerned about. He won't be in a position to take 28 shots in a game that actually counts. The rebounding and blocked shots are encouraging, and he pretty much bitched Hibbert. He also had as many blocks as Jrue, which is sick.

Tom Moore on Jul 6 at 23:25

Sixers are interested in Carney, but only for the fourth-year minimum -- not for part of the MLE.

That sounds about right to me. I doubt he gets more than that from anyone.

Tom Moore on Jul 6 at 23:26

Nine assists and 22 turnovers for the Sixers. That's what happens in summer league ball.

Bibby has the same agent as Brand, huh? Wonder if there's some good will there.

"It was a 20-min run in summer league. Doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's fun"

so stop hating on jrue, it's his first summer game.

Real and Speightacular on Jul 7 at 4:41
"so stop hating on jrue, it's his first summer game."

Again, I think you underestimate Brian's readership and their ability to read and understand for themselves. I know I've been far more balanced in my comments re Jrue than you have been toward Marreese lately. Jrue-dat.