Looking At The Bigs

I agree with everything in this post. That being said, I fear the Sixers are going to put Thad at the 4 and Brand at the 5, which is something I really don't want to happen. I'm hoping your 'free pass' scenario comes true. I kind of hoped they'd have done it last year while Brand was laid up but I guess Ed S. didn't see it that way.

I'm not sure I could do the free pass scenario. As much negativity as there is out there, the Sixers have really overachiever recently and I'm a big winning begets winning proponent. If I'm coaching, I put the best possible team on the floor and work the younger guys into situations where their strengths help the team win and the team's strengths help minimize their flaws. their roles increase as they earn the minutes.

Experience is more valuable if the minutes matter (playoffs especially) and the minutes are earned.

At least that's what you'd get from me as a coach. I hope Jordan operates that way as well.

Chris reply to Brian on Jul 21 at 7:05

I'd prefer they did the free pass last year while Brand was hurt. Specifically, I'd like to have seen Iggy at the 2 and Thad at the 3 plus Lou trying the point more with the starters.

This year, if they can get the youngsters meaningful minutes and not do the free pass I'd be fine. I just don't want the vets getting all the minutes and not playing the youngsters or seeing who can play what positions. It is important seeing Iggy/Thad on the wings, Lou and Jrue at the point and Speights/Smith splitting between the 4/5.

I'm trying not to be negative; just (hopefully) realistic. Developing the youngsters is the most important task as no matter what they do they won't be a contender this year. If they can develop the young talent and make the playoffs great. But I'd rather them miss the playoffs and develop the youngsters than make the playoffs by sitting the youngsters.

I hope Jrue gets decent floor time as I think he's going to need it. Not only is he young but he didn't get to play point (other than a few minutes) last year.

The Greek on Jul 21 at 3:04

Sammy having had had 9 games of 10 shots or more is way too much. Unless he is getting a lob to dunk, it would be best if he never shot the ball. The problem with Sammy besides being 4th grade dumb on the basketball court is that he is a sissy. Dwight Howard throws an elbow at him that almost takes his head off and then last week when Dumbo saw him at the orlando league he went over to give Dwight a big hug. What a soft, mentally weak, diva without talent, and a thief of millions player this guy is.

Real and Speightacular on Jul 21 at 8:13

Likin your analysis of Sammy's real situation. It's not all good, but it's not all bad. Overall, he's useful. We're stuck with him for at least another year (miracle mid-season trade notwithstanding), might as well see what we can wring out of him.

I'd run the big minutes like this...

Power Forward: Elton Brand (31 minutes), Marreese Speights (17 minutes), Jason Smith (emergency only)

Center: Sam Dalembert (28 minutes), Jason Smith (12 minutes), Marreese Speights (8 minutes), Elton Brand (emergency/match-to-exploit only)

The big question is re how badly Sam might screw up the PO. If he's not inflicting too much damage, roll with him.

No idea how Jordan's gonna play it. Can't wait for the first preseason games.

Real and Speightacular reply to Real and Speightacular on Jul 21 at 8:28

p.s. I should say that's my see who's got what lineup. If I'm more interested in winning now as much as possible, it'd be more like..

Power Forward: Elton Brand (28 minutes), Marreese Speights (20 minutes), Jason Smith (emergency only)

Center: Sam Dalembert (28 minutes), Elton Brand (10 minutes), Marreese Speights (5 minutes), Jason Smith (5 minutes)

Yes, it's a cut in Elton's PF mins, but the drop off between he and M16 isn't nearly as much as the gap between Elton and any backup center. Speights can handle a few mins more than he got last season at his prime role. I may be biased ;-)

deepsixersuede on Jul 21 at 8:42

Brian, I hope you are right about Sam!s minutes, a coach who knows what he is doing, playing for his last contract, and having Elton out there next to him are 3 good things to look forward to with him.That being said, I expect Elton, Thad and Iggy to all get 10 minutes ,at least, a night at the 5,4, and 3 respectively. And wwhatever big that works the best in a high post passing fashion WILL be hard to get off the court.

I have to agree with Real and ...

I think the key to his minutes is going to be how he fits into the PO. As a Georgetown grad, I've watched them run the PO for a few years. We've been fortunate to have Hibbert and now Greg Monroe as centers. In the PO, you need your center to be a good passer; to be able to step up and execute the back-door pass. Hibbert learned and became excellent at this. Monroe has stepped in right away. For some reason, I just can't see Sammy doing this for the Sixers. If that's the case, I think you're going to see very limited minutes.

I didn't realize Georgetown was running the PO these days. Pretty ironic.

john reply to Nick on Jul 21 at 11:24

In the PO, you need your center to be a good passer

Yeah, I was afraid of that :)

I don't recall much offense running through Haywood in Washington. There are definitely ways to minimize a guy's role in the offense, but he's going to have to be able to do something (move w/out the ball, screen for someone on the weak side, etc).

john reply to Brian on Jul 21 at 11:45

Yeah, and which one of those has Sam shown any skill at so far in his career?

He's good at diving to the hole for lobs, start there. Show him how setting a hard screen on the weak side is a simple pivot away from being a wide open dunk.

I don't know. I'm hoping this is a fresh start for Sam and not a situation where we're going into training camp with it already decided that Brand is going to be the center for 20 minutes/game.

As I understand it the princeton offense that jordan likes to use will expose sams weaknesses more, those weaknesses being court vision, ball handling, passing, the mental aspects of the game. There's a lot of motion and crisp passing involved...sam sometimes has troubles holding on to the ball.

He's not playing for his last contract this year, players don't 'turn it on' two years before...that's next season, but I don't expect he'll be any better or worse this or next season.

Yes Dileo probably yanked with his minutes too much last year, that's fine, but I'm sorry, Sam's been whining about things publicly since the O'brien years, so I am not excusing it, you don't go public about stuff like this, you don't talk about 'my minutes', that's just stuff you don't do.

The sixers are stuck with Sam cause he has a bad contract, a bad reputation and no one wants him...cause it's pretty clear the sixers have been looking to move him for over six months now and can't get more than the dregs of the NBA offered back to them. They're stuck with him and maybe he'll play well this year and they'll find a taker...my feeling is that he'll be more exposed in a real offensive set than the nonsense cheeks and dileo ran the past two years, and his trade value will actually go down.

Tom Moore on Jul 21 at 11:00

I really think Brand is typically going to at least play double-digit minutes at center, based on what Jordan is saying and how he likes players with high basketball IQs. I also think Young will play 10 or so minutes at the four spot.

john reply to Tom Moore on Jul 21 at 11:05

Well that just makes me want to vomit on this fine (hot) Santa Barbara morning - unless 'double digit' minutes is less than 11

Tom Moore reply to john on Jul 21 at 11:12

May depend somewhat on matchups, but could see Brand/Speights and Brand/Young out there for more than a few minutes at a time.

Brand/Speights I can live with for stretches. Brand/Thad is not a good idea for any extended period of time against most teams.

Tom Moore on Jul 21 at 11:01

Link to my Sixers' stories and blogs (below the Sixers' playoff photos):

I'd love to see this guy as the wing they sign.

Check this out. Sammy in the gym with coach Jordan right now.

Also, Jrue working out with McKie.

Thad and Iguodala are headed to Vegas for Team USA, I believe.

DeanH reply to Brian on Jul 21 at 16:18

Did Cheeks work w/ his players over the summer last couple years?

Not that I recall.

I hate the idea, but I think EJ starts Thad and Elton at the four and the five.

john reply to jordan on Jul 21 at 14:00

hmm...i might have to rethink my league pass purchase this year

I agree with Chris about last year. If you remember, I nearly blew a gasket when the team shifted Thad to full time PF after Brand went down. At the time Speights looked ready to step in and start at PF (even if they only played him 25 min) and he promptly faded.

Like Bebop likes to bring up, the team needed to use last year for extended looks at Iguodala/Thad at 2/3, Lou at PG and Speights at PF and C. Then there would be less doubt about this year.

I guess I'd like to see Speights/Brand/Thad/Iguodala/PG. Whether that happens to start the season is less important than finishing the year that way.

Blackest_Guy_U_Know on Jul 21 at 15:44

If Sammy can control his fouls I wouldn't mind him playing In those rotations. He is a strong force on D and gets about 8-10 boards a game.

deepsixersuede on Jul 21 at 18:32

According to Missanelli!s sources, whoever they may be, the trade the Sixers turned down was Ridnour [6.5 mill.] and a protected 2nd rounder for A.Miller. I would of turned that down also.

Absolutely. That's a garbage offer.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Jul 21 at 19:07

Donyell is looking better and better as the summer goes on, and so is Royal, I hate to say.

I haven't seen anything about Donyell, oddly. I'd probably prefer him to anyone else they could get to warm the pine in the front court. Udoka, Marshall and B. Knight...I could live with that for the three acquisitions to fill out the roster.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Jul 21 at 20:43

I hope one of the "final four" is a young guy with promise. The kid Forbes played well over the summer and shot the 3 better but Christmas disappeared in the 2nd summer league.

Tom Moore on Jul 21 at 21:55

Also heard the Sixers weren't interested in Ridnour and not too excited about Duhon.

Am told there's nothing to rumored Sixers-Blazers sign-and-trade and Sixers are not talking to Portland about it. Blazers could be talking to Andy Miller about possibly signing Andre Miller.

Blackest_Guy_U_Know on Jul 22 at 17:14

Not really worried about his gross rebound count as opposed to keeping the other team off the boards...which requires intelligent (BBall IQ) and positioning which he'll hae to work on.

As long as he doesn't totally destry the offense and knows his place in it (don't shoot unless it's a dunk) - i'm fine with him playing - but dude has never known what his role is nor has he accepted it and until today i've never hear one peep or seen one video of him working in the offseason since he went to newells big man camp years ago (and really didn't learn anything)

He's turned over a new leaf! Working out w/ the coaching, talking about offensive systems...get excited, man. :)

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Jul 22 at 19:48

Maybe all Sammy really wants is to feel involved. He'll get that opportunity with this offense, which is all about finding the easiest basket. Bonus for us if it turns out he's not wholly unfamiliar with it. Has Jordan unlocked the key? Stay tuned enquiring minds...