Who's Your Sixth Man?

I agree that EJ will go with Speights for Sam first, especially if Sam gets an early foul or two.

I was going to say Jrue but I still strongly feel that starting Jrue and letting Lou be the sixth man would be best. But since it seems they are hell bent on starting Lou I'd say Speights will be the sixth man. I reckon the starting lineup will be more than decent defensively but may struggle to score, and that's where Speights could prove his worth.

A 6th man has to bring energy and a spark. Speights can do that.

deepsixersuede on Jul 29 at 7:59

Brian, your 3 scenerios all got me excited but an offensive move, Kapono or Spieghts makes sense because scoring will be the weakness early on I believe. We still need a physical presence off the bench for certain situations, a screen setter that can give a hard foul, they used to be plentiful but are hard to find now. Dorsey was a guy I liked but he dominated the boards in the summer league ans is probably not available. J. Davidson was let go by G. St. and is a H.Warrick type athlete, he may be worth a look.

Amundson :(

If I had to guess right now, I'd say they're hoping Jason Smith plays this role.

RagedCage on Jul 29 at 10:27

Out of all the options I like the kapono for Sam option. One thing I think your overlooking with the kapono version is that the only place were small is actually the 5. Brand Thad and Kapono are all 6'8 so even though a 6'8 center is kinda small a 6'8 3 and 4 is about average height or mabey even a little tall. If Thad can bulk up a little I don't think a smaller lineup will be a problem (not to mention the quickness advantedge it will also give us).

I probably should've said you have mismatches at three positions, rather than undersized. Brand is undersized to play the five, I guess Thad is technically tall enough, but he was exposed by Rashard in the playoffs and he just doesn't rebound well enough to hold down the four and Kapono is a mismatch anywhere. On defense, Iguodala's going to defend the best wing player in this lineup, so it's not as much of an issue, but I'm still not all that comfortable with this lineup defensively. Offensively, they should be able to score.

johnmagee on Jul 29 at 11:28

I wish it was going to be Louis Williams

As long as it isn't willie green

I believed all along that if Lou started, his sixth man replacement would be Speights. He could be a potential spark on both ends, if he commits to getting better on the boards & defensively. A possible dark horse might be if they get a Flip Murray type.

johnmagee on Jul 29 at 12:34

I would think it's also going to be situational as well I would think, you got a 'big man' sixth man and a 'back court' sixth man so you go as the situation defines. If Sam Dalembert continues his history of 2 fouls in the first 6-8 minutes then the first guy off the bench is probably going to be speights, but maybe out of necessity as much as desire from the coaching staff.

Ideally - of the first 3 names the coaches think of regardless of position, none of them are willie green.

Speights, Kapono, Holiday should all be ahead of willie in the rotation

Speights, Kapono, Holiday should all be ahead of willie in the rotation

I think only Willie Green would disagree with that statement.

Who gets the most minutes off the bench? I say Speights.

Tom Moore on Jul 29 at 16:37

Did you see John Schuhmann's article on espn.com today? Listed the Sixers as one of five playoff teams from last season that might not make it back in 2009-10.

Writer John Schuhmann's list included the Rockets, Pistons, Heat, Sixers and Hawks.

"The questions with the Sixers start at point guard," Schuhmann wrote. "Williams is talented, but not a true point guard, which will make things tougher for Andre Iguodala and Thaddeus Young. Further, Philly's running game won't be as potent without Miller leading the break.

"The Sixers will be getting Elton Brand back, but the questions continue there. Will the addition of Jason Kapono help give Brand the space he needs in the post, or is Brand just a bad fit with slashers like Iguodala and Young?"

Yeah, I saw that. The only part I can really argue with is saying the team needs speights to take over the starting spot for Sammy.

It remains to be seen what type of spacing Brand will have in the PO, you have to assume it'll be better than whatever offense Cheeks was running.

Sean reply to Brian on Jul 29 at 17:43

In the debate about the point guard issue, people are overlooking the fact that the team is now running a non-PG centric "democratic" system. Dala and Lou will be sharing primary facilitating duties. Plus, of all the complaints I've had about Lou, him on the break is not one of them.

Regarding Brand, I remember conversing with numerous Clipper fans who said Brand would not be as effective as people thought while playing with Miller, because their preferred optimum styles of play clash horribly. Miller is not a great screen/roll guy. Meanwhile, Lou, with his ability to shoot it and turn the corner, could help Brand.

Barring injuries, I cannot see them missing the postseason

Tom Moore on Jul 29 at 16:38

If Speights got stronger this summer, I'd say him.

johnmagee on Jul 29 at 20:06

Who does he think will REPLACE the sixers in the playoffs? He's got three eastern conference teams missing it who made it last year.

Which three make it that didn't?

Aside from the raptors and bobcats being maybes - i see no one who is vastly better

He's a big believer in Toronto and Washington. Not sure who he thinks the third team would be. Didn't he have 4 playoff teams on his list?

I loved Amundson...

check this out, Nba.com says we're one of the 5 teams to free fall OUT of the postseason:

"The questions with the Sixers start at point guard, where they lost Andre Miller and will now need to count on Louis Williams and rookie Jrue Holiday. Williams is talented, but not a true point guard, which will make things tougher for Andre Iguodala and Thaddeus Young. Further, Philly's running game won't be as potent without Miller leading the break.

With a lot of youth, this team still has room for improvement, especially if second-year big man Marreese Speights can step up and take Samuel Dalembert's spot in the starting lineup. But with a lot of questions to be answered, a third straight trip to the postseason is not a sure thing."