The Sixers 2009-2010 Schedule

johnmagee on Aug 4 at 14:17

quick count has 7 nba tv games, 1 espn and 1 tnt, though the opponents on the 'national' games (detroit for ESPN and Clippers for TNT) wouldn't be surprised if those games get bumped...no abc games, but not a huge suprirse, mediocre team with out a star for average fans to see.

Funny thing is the clippers game in LA (at least in my memory) usually falls on a sunday afternoon around my birthday and i would have considered going this year. Middle of the week is difficult to accomadate. Lakers games just too damn expensive.

Last year I thought they deserved some national exposure. But this year I think they got what they deserved.

4 times as many national games for the Wizards as the Sixers. That seem fair to you, or rational?

I'm adding notes to the post above as I dig deeper.

johnmagee on Aug 4 at 15:22

The clippers have 8 national games as well - the clippers

Yep, Knicks have 5.

johnmagee reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 16:13

Well the knicks have a national following - it's like the cubs, even when they suck, they'll get good ratings, but I can't see Blake Griffin being that attractive to flks to get 8 national games.

Reall? All the Knicks fans I know have completely lost interest at this point. I can't imagine they're driving ratings at all nationally. I mean, who's their most marketable player this season, Danillo? Nate Robinson, if he comes back?

johnmagee reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 16:35

What do I know - I can't explain how the tv schedulers work - there are some really unbalanced works I think as always - I wonder if anyone has ever looked into how it's designed, how one team can seemingly have a week off before playing a team on the second half of a back to back?

Yes, they have players of national interest (at least Arenas.) The Sixers don't even have players of local interest.

Sorry, did not mean to sound flippant. I just am not surprised since I don't see the Sixers as generating as much ratings as most other teams. I don't even think they would generate much local ratings.

You need marketable players to generate ratings. I think Young, Iguodala and hopefully Brand are good players, but they don't generate much national interest.

The 19-win Wizards will generate national interest? I guess the odds say Arenas will actually play about 2 of those 8 games, so maybe you're right.

Who knows, maybe the PO will turn one of Brand, Iguodala or Thad into a 25ppg scorer. That seems to be the only notable stat the MSM cares about and the only real barometer to stardom.

Tray reply to Brian on Aug 5 at 23:03

Arenas has a personality, Iguodala doesn't. Thad has a personality of sorts (nice guy), but not a very exciting one. People care about these sorts of things, that's why Tim Duncan's jersey sales are zero outside of the San Antonio metropolitan area and everyone hates the Spurs even though the guy was the best power forward ever and the best player of the post-Jordan era. Iguodala, at least on personality, is the Duncan of today's crop of swingmen.

That's B.S. Brandon Roy doesn't have a personality. He just scores more points and takes more shots than Iguodala. Kevin Durant doesn't have a personality, he was just anointed. Kobe has the personality of a badger.

Iguodala seems to be doing some things to raise his national profile, commercials, TV, ESPN analysis, which is a good thing, but I don't think he's officially a superstar until he scores maybe 22/game in a season. The MSM doesn't care about you unless you crack the 20s comfortably, you make an ass of yourself on video or both.

Arenas has never approached being half the overall player Iguodala is. He's just done a much better job of making a spectacle of himself, and taken way too many shots to artificially inflate his scoring average.

8 for the Warriors.

Tom Moore on Aug 4 at 15:35

Sixers and Brezec have come to terms on a contract. He's practicing with the Slovenia National Team and expected to be here next week (same with Ivey). Sounds like eighth-year minimum of $1.1 million.

Thanks for the info, Tom. Did they have any comment on what they like about his game?

Tom Moore on Aug 4 at 15:52

Hear they like his size and he can score a little. As for the wing player, they're in no rush and may invite several guys to camp to compete for the 13th spot. They'll carry 13 or 14.

Tom Moore on Aug 4 at 15:53

Weird thing with the schedule is ESPN initially had four Sixers games -- all home -- listed before pulling their master TV schedule. It's not available now.

Really? Sixers.com only lists the one ESPN game, against the Pistons.

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 16:28

This was through espn.com, then clicking on NBA schedule and ABC/ESPN games a few hours ago. Think somebody on their site made a mistake.

Something strange is going on over there. If you look at the schedule now, the times are all off. They're listing the Sixers/Pistons (the only one they have on the schedule) as a 10pm eastern start.

Tom Moore on Aug 4 at 15:56

Stefanski is in Vegas with Speights and Holiday, who are participating in Tim Grgurich's camp. That's where Jason Smith blew out his knee a year ago.

Hmnnn...on a brighter note, Sixers @ Knicks on Halloween night. May dress my kids up as Hip Hop and take them to the Garden for their first game.

johnmagee on Aug 4 at 17:22

This might just be me rewriting memory - but I seem to recall that the 2001 first game of the season was on october 31st, maybe even against the knicks, on TNT?

You are correct. Win #1 of a 10-game win streak to start the season.

johnmagee reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 18:14

For some reason - that game sticks in my head - i have no idea why - i think it's when i 'started paying attention' again - first time i got nba league pass (was already in california)...weird the things that stick with you.

I agree that who cares about the wizards - maybe the sixers should have made a lot of moves to maintain mediocrity and they would have gotten on tv too

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Aug 4 at 18:43

Won 101-72 behind 25 from Iverson. First loss was Nov. 22 in Charlotte, when Geiger and Maxwell led them with 10 apiece.

johnmagee on Aug 4 at 19:13

Brenadan Haywood has not nice things to say about eddie jordan Here

Another blogger indicates he heard some other criticism over at summer league but hasn't posted where precisely

Honestly, the opinion of any of the Wizards players doesn't mean a whole lot to me, especially not that of Brendan Haywood or any of the guys they sent to Summer League. Nick Young and Javale McGee played what, 10 games under Jordan as rookies, and Andray Blatch probably got too many minutes from Jordan. The fact of the matter is that team over-achieved with Jordan there, and I don't really care much about that either. I just care about what happens here.

Sounds a bit like Sam complaining about how his skills were underutilized and not liking the P O .

eddies' heady's on Aug 4 at 23:47

Whew!

The guys will be fortunate to have even 5, maybe 6, wins by the end of November. Working out the kinks in the new offense will be exposed to a degree against that schedule. What a doozy...

johnmagee reply to eddies' heady's on Aug 5 at 11:55

So you see them playing barely 333 ball in the first month of the season huh?

eddies' heady's reply to johnmagee on Aug 5 at 23:06

So what is your prognostication?

johnemagee reply to eddies' heady's on Aug 6 at 9:46

I expect they'll hover a couple games within 500 most of the season...