Welcome To the Gun Show

I've always thought Elton is a great personality and I'd love to see him do well here.

If he can be 18/9 at a 50% clip I'll be thrilled.

haha love this sideline reporter...

i'm elie seckback, reportingggg.

hehe good video, brand does look a bit more cut.

haha yeah that reportor is good

btw brian just wanted to ask, what do you think of jason williams? heard he's available...great passer

Well, yes he's a good passer and as he matured his assist to turnover ratio was impressive, but he's always taken too many shots and not made enough of them for my liking. He's also a defensive downgrade of the highest order from Andre Miller. Depends, if they signed him for the minimum and planned to give him rare minutes I'd be fine with it. If they signed him expecting him to be a regular in the rotation, I wouldn't be thrilled.

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 11:53

Saw the Sixers' new home court this morning. Liked it. The lanes are blue, with the free-throw rebounding areas red and the outside of the court blue.

Also, Sixers will only be wearing red on the road (no black or blue uniforms) and white at home.

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 12:04

Ivey and Brezec are expected to undergo their physicals and sign later this week. As for the swingman, they could bring in several guys (from a list that includes Joey Graham, Stephen Graham, Linton Johnson and Rodney Carney) and let them compete for the spot at camp. Contracts wouldn't be guaranteed and only for the minimum, which isn't what Carney wants.

Jack reply to Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 13:42

Ughhh... looks like big minutes for Willie G again this season... no doubt whatsoever that he'll be the key sub for Iggy at SG.

Too early to tell. I could see Lou/Jrue in the back court together. I don't think Jordan would hesitate to use Kapono at the two, especially if Iguodala is on the floor at the three.

Jack reply to Brian on Aug 10 at 14:41

True, Brian... I guess it all depends on how fast Jrue comes along. For the Sixers' sake, it better be pretty fast. If not, I'd expect healthy doses of Mr. William Green.

By the way, I think Von Wafer just signed with a team in Greece. Bummer, really... a top level athlete who can also knock down a three-pointer at a 40% click. Really wish we could have signed him.

Just curious, by the way... if Iggy and Kapono are on the floor at the same time, wouldn't it be better for Iggy to cover the SG and Kapono to cover the SF?

I think Iguodala would cover the better wing player, regardless of position. Against Boston, he'd probably take Pierce (more of threat off the dribble than Ray Allen), against the Lakers he'd probably guard Kobe (more of a threat than Artest).

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Aug 10 at 14:53

Exactly what I was going to say, Brian. Doesn't matter if the guy is a 2 or 3 -- Iguodala would get the better scorer.

Yeah, that would leave Kapono to 'lock down' Ray-ray or Ron-ron. That would be sort of funny to watch.

Of course ideally Kapono will be covering some bench scrub on the other team, and just make them look like a star.

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 14:01

Stefanski pointed out today how Jeffries, at 6-11, played some 2 for Jordan in Washington. Have a feeling it's going to be Williams, Iguodala, Young, Brand and Dalembert starting Oct. 28 in Orlando.

Unless Jrue just blows their minds in training camp, that's exactly what the starting lineup should be. Good to hear.

DeanH reply to Brian on Aug 10 at 16:46

I agree with you, Brian. As long as Willie is not starting, I can learn to maybe even like him. I actually think this year could be decent IF they gell as a team. It seems like many of the players are hard at work getting ready for the year.

I go over tommorrow night to pick out my seat. Hopefully I will be able to see the new floor??

I'm sure you'll be able to see it. Starting to get excited now?

Joe reply to Brian on Aug 10 at 17:37

Wait, so it is possible Iguodala may start at the 2? Boy, would that ever be nice?

I'm getting excited.

Sean reply to Joe on Aug 10 at 20:11

Jordan has already said that as of now, Williams and Iguodala will be the starting back court

Joe reply to Sean on Aug 10 at 21:37

Well I missed that. My bad.

Either way, I'm still happy.

DeanH reply to Brian on Aug 11 at 11:30

Yes, and especially when I read your next blog. And TK answer about going young hits the nail on the head. This will be an exciting year, no matter how well they do on the win/loss. Could be a great year but definitely won't be a boring year.

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 14:55

I think they're encouraged by Holiday and think he's going to play, but wouldn't think he'd be under serious consideration to start yet.

Stefanski on Holiday: "He’s worked out this summer and every time I see him, he’s getting a little bit better. He’s got a learning curve to get over."

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 15:19

Stefanski on signing Ivey when his strengths (size, defense) are similar to Holiday's: "The coach and coaching staff wanted Royal Ivey back because of his familiarity with the team. He’s a well-liked guy on the roster. His size and his defensive mentality. They were asking us, with the people we were looking at, to re-sign Royal. Eddie’s feeling with the 2-guard front, we had a few names for that set-up guy, but Eddie was [swayed by] the size of Royal and the defense. Like anybody, we don’t throw too much on the rookie. I’ve said it publicly, but it’s really going to be Eddie’s call (with playing time). But because he likes the rookie’s size and he defends, that’s going to get you minutes."

Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 15:35
Tom Moore on Aug 10 at 16:06

Ivey officially re-signed. That's 11 under contract, with Brezec to come later this week.

For the minimum, right? They didn't use the bi-annual or a portion of the MLE for him, did they?

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Aug 10 at 19:10

Correct, Brian. They didn't use the MLE or the bi-annual and looks like Brezec is getting the eighth-year minimum of $1.1 million.

Tom,thanks for the info. Nice to see eddie looking for defense in that guard spot. Hopefully, the same goes for that next player.

It would be great to see Holiday step up and win the PG spot. It will probably take him a while to get to that point, but having Lou on the second unit would really help. Once Holiday shows a good handle for the game and a solid spot up jumper he could be part of a dominant defensive starting 5.

I think Lou/Kapono/Speights/Smith and a starter (Thad or Iguodala) could be the makings of a good scoring second unit. Mix in Ivey and Sam or Brand and they could be a good defensive 2nd unit. I doubt the 2nd unit will ever have no starters on the floor (at least I hope not.)