GM For the Day: Ramon Sessions

After the jump

If we could sign him for two or perhaps three years at a reasonable price (something like the one you quoted), then I'd definitely be on board. I'm guessing it'll take young Mr. Holiday a year or two before he's ready to assume the starter's role, so having Sessions in the fold for that period of time makes complete sense to me. He's light years ahead of LouWill in the point guard department.

What happens to LouWill? He settles in as Iggy's backup at shooting guard. He'll have to share minutes with Willie there, but that's just the way it is. Plus, as the biggest gunner in the NBA (well, third biggest... Kobe, Iverson), he's obviously better suited for the SG position.

If Sessions can be had at a fair price, Ed would be foolish not to grab him.

"If Sessions can be had at a fair price, Ed would be foolish not to grab him."

You could probably substitute just about any GM's name into that sentence and it would be true. At that price, isn't he worth a shot as a backup even if Chris Paul is your starting point?

Crick reply to Brian on Aug 26 at 16:09

Damn right, my friend.

conjureman on Aug 26 at 11:45

this is a dumb idea, unless you plan to trade lou immediately. this would be a good way to create a immediate conflict in the locker room. if you were lou would you settle for that crap? why do you dislike lou so much? brian you just don't want lou to succeed. admit it. if lou maximizes his potential he will be a very good starter in this league. he is a good kid, stays out of trouble, works hard, is extremely talented and has tremendous upside and is 22 years old. i really don't understand all of the dislike for him.

I could get into the concerns I have with Lou at the point, but that's not what this post was about. I didn't say anything negative about Lou in this post at all. In fact, I listed his loss of minutes as a con above.

I also didn't say I'd sign him if I was Stefanski. I'm not sure if I would. To me, he seems like a younger version of Andre Miller and I'm not sure bringing in another perimeter player who can't shoot would help at all.

Sean reply to Brian on Aug 26 at 15:05

No, because of that issue with shooting. Sessions needs a set up like the Celtics in order to flourish(2 sweet shooters running the wings). He is not the right fit

Crick reply to Sean on Aug 26 at 16:16

I don't know, man. If what you say is true, then how did he flourish in Milwaukee. They weren't exactly a well-oiled shooting machine last year, were they?

I just think he's a very solid PG who could be had for well below his actual value. Unless you're completely sold on LouWill as a PG (like conjureman above) it seems like a no brainer to bring the guy on board. Lou backs up Iggy; Jrue backs up Sessions. Poifect.

Sean reply to Crick on Aug 27 at 13:41

He did well, the team didn't. You add him to this team and you are not really addressing the team's issues

He does not have to be your starting PG. He works well in the P.O. scheme next to Iguodala or Lou or Holiday or even Green. he is enough of a scorer and creator and has enough size to be paired with most guards.

Name another NBA player who has a 24 assist and a 44 point game in their first 82 games as a pro... Those may just be single games, but it points to his skill/talent. he also has multiple 10+ assist and 20+ pt games.

Other than money, I'm not sure why GM's are sleeping on this guy. I realize he lacks range on his jump shot, but that will improve and he knows how to play withing himself.

I've read couple of articles recently about how the three is becoming more and more important in the league. That could have something to do with it.

Here's a better question for you, name another NBA player who has a 24 assist and 44 point game in their first 82 games as a pro AND lost both games. Obviously not entirely his fault in either case, but they were wide open games with ridiculously horrible defense being played on both ends of the floor.

I do completely, 100% agree that he's far too talented to be sitting out there at this point of the summer, especially if he could really be had for less than Willie Green makes.

You can't make too much out of single games, but I would not hold the losses on his head. he was on the far inferior team both times. He went for 44 pts on only 18 FGA. He had 12 asst that game and was 18/21 at the line. That is amazing even in a losing effort. It's not like he jacked up 40 shots or did not pass.

In the other game he went for 20 pts (on 12 shots), 24 asst, 8 reb and only 2 tov. I don't know of many NBA players who put up numbers like that... ever. And he is 23 and cheap. he is not a ball hog, nor does he jack up 200+ 3's at a low percentage (like Lou last year.)

Sign him and then deal someone else later if you have to. He certainly is more versatile than Lou or Green.

conjuremanc on Aug 26 at 22:27

I keep thinking that there must be some info GMs have that is not available to the general public. Otherwise, sessions would have been signed already.

conjuremanc on Aug 26 at 22:28