Smith Over Speights?

deepsixersuede on Oct 7 at 8:10

Brian, my 2 main reasons Jason goes in over Marreese are the following; defensive energy, he can play the Reggie role without all the stupid gambling and seemed to do that numerous times his rookie year and secondly,he was the best screen setter on the team his rookie year and screening seems vital in this offense.A side note is Jordan may be pushing Marreese!s buttons a bit to get him to work harder on the defensive end.We have 4 decent shotblockers on this team so whoever plays more physical out of these two may get more minutes.

From what I saw last night, Smith was really active on defense. A little late to get there to challenge a driver once, but overall, very active. It's a good thing if he's got those two pushing each other.

The Greek on Oct 7 at 13:28

Brian how or better yet where did you watch the game last night?

Someone posted the link on the site last night, but the feed was only available late in the game. Someone will probably post here tonight if it's available, but I'm going to be watching the playoffs.

Since Speights was playing C and Smith PF during the training camp the substitution pattern may have simply been based on who needed to come out 1st (Brand.) If Sam needed to be pulled for early fouls I'm guessing Speights would have gotten the nod.

To you and I PF and C may seem interchangeable... but in the Princeton Offense the assignments are not the same. I'm sure eventually both Smith and Speights (and all the bigs) will learn both positions. But at this stage I'm guessing Speights has been taught the 5 and Smith the 4 in terms of offensive sets so they will stick to those positions in the early pre-season.

Again, just an educated guess based on what the beat writers have said about the practices (Smith playing PF matched up on Brand and Speights as C covering Sam.)

Anyone have the link for tonight's game?

Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Oct 7 at 19:13

I could use a link as well.

johnny woods on Oct 7 at 19:26
Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Oct 7 at 19:40

this p2p thing is brutal. do you guys have a live link?

Charles Shackleford's Top Hat on Oct 7 at 19:51

link not working for me. i am giving up. At least the phils won.

have to use firefox they said

Duracorr reply to Ryan F on Oct 7 at 21:25

It's tiny, but it seems to work well on Firefox browser.

The Sixers don't look very good tonight. So many missed shots and turnovers. I'm also not seeing much motion offense. The defense doesn't look so good either considering two of their best players aren't playing. They are making Weems look like an all-star for Toronto. At least I think it's Weems, the screen is a little hard to see. But it' satisfying my basketball craving!

Duracorr reply to Duracorr on Oct 7 at 21:43

Ryan,

Thanks for the link. I was so frustrated last night by not being able to see or even hear the game.

The Sixers pulled it out after all, though I thought they were very sloppy. Maybe that is what to expect from a makeshift lineup like they were playing in the 4th quarter. Perhaps the game will look better statistically than it did on the little screen.

It's the second game of the preseason and Thad still has 0 rebounds.

deepsixersuede on Oct 7 at 22:15

Tray, it is weird but Thad looks more uncomfortable the further he is from the basket although he had a nice drive and baby hook in the 4th quarter. Elton is getting less touches than Reggie got for us last year. And Brian, I was shocked at how many "athletes" Toronto has. Weems, A.Johnson, Derozen, J.Jack and Bosh may be enough to counter the slow, sub-par defensively group that will get the bulk of their minutes.