Live From Mexico

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 19:30

they look like a bunch of hounds out there....it's just the preseason but damn they look good

This doesn't even look fair. The Sixers are running the Suns right off the court, literally. 36-18 right now, with about a minute left in the first. I haven't seen much of the PO, mainly because the Sixers are mercilessly pushing the ball up the floor, forcing turnovers, challenging shots and dominating the glass. Excellent start.

They have really come to play today. Big 1st quarter so far.

Jrue to Kapono for THREE. on the break.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 19:36

i must admit that if Jrue can give half of the numbers he had the other night then one postive will be Ivey wont be getting any minutes. willie might be a zero but ivey is a minus

EugeneBWhitake on Oct 18 at 19:37

My spanish is rusty, but I'm pretty sure that Mareese Speights idea of defense is to to ole the players through. If he isn't interested in playing defense, he shouldn't play at all.

Well, I'd rather listen to Spanish then Salmi

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 19:43

i'd rather hear spanish too than have to look at a stream online.

Holiday had a nice backdoor cut, lefty reverse rimmed out. Nice mid-range jumper from baseline that he hit. But two bad turnovers, one careless dribble and another sloppy pass on a break. Ivey in for him.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 19:45

love the effort

EugeneBWhitake on Oct 18 at 19:48

Mareese Speights needs to learn to pass the ball when the defender has 5 seconds to set up. The offensive foul will be called, instead of an easy 2 for either Jason Kapono or Jason Smith, Mareese Speights gets another foul and a turnover, because he seems most interested in scoring points, and very little else.

That should've been a touch pass to Willie, or Kapono should've just taken the shot. Bad play by Kapono and Speights, IMO.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 19:51

must be said...love the red uniforms, love the red

Anyone know why Ivey is shooting so much?

EugeneBWhitake reply to Brian on Oct 18 at 19:59

I would presume it is for the same reason he plays so much?

Primoz looks like he's playing volleyball out there. Refuses to grab a rebound, just bats it around. Luckily, the Sixers are chasing down the batted balls.

EugeneBWhitake reply to Brian on Oct 18 at 20:06

Most of the sixers on the defensive end seem uninterested in boxing out or getting rebounds. #16 seems very active on the offensive glass if it can lead to a scoring opportunity and seems uninterested in doing anything defensively.

Many players have made numerous mistakes tonight, it seems however that only Jrue Holliday is going to be benched for the rest of the game because of them. That does not strike me as a good way to coach a team.

I'm hoping he'll get back in there after the half. You can't only give the kid minutes when he plays perfectly. He's never going to get enough burn.

Has anyone checked out Iguodala's line? filthy.

Preseason but they look good.

Sloppy second quarter, heading to the break up 13...60-47.

I have to watch it online. It's half-time.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:08

EJ gave Jrue the quick hook after those two giveaways and his alternative doesn't get the hook after gunning. A missed shot is about the same as a turnover when they are as bad as the ones Royal takes.

EugeneBWhitake reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:11

Mareese Speights suffered no 'punishment' for his non existent defensive play either. Maybe it's just the 'rookie treatment' but it seems nonsensical to me.

Alas, the Phillies have started to play and I can't stand that Spansih any more.

My favorite play of the first half, by far:

Brand in the post on the right side of the floor, proper spacing all around, diagonal pass to Kapono for the open three. Nothing but net.

Anyone watching the halftime show? When did 'Sheed get so fat?

For all the crap some Sixers fans give Dalembert, he always seems like he wants the rebound.

He looks good so far tonight.

Sick play a minute ago, Brand in high post, give and go from/to Iguodala for an easy layup.

Alvin reply to Brian on Oct 18 at 20:32

That being said, we cannot have possessions whereby we throw the ball to Dalembert with 6 seconds left on the shot clock and he throws up a 17-footer.

I watched the Celtics training camp on NBAtv and Rasheed looked like Peter Griffin but more grimy.

Dalembert is playing like a SG out there but its working. He can't keep it up for 82 games I bet.

Just picked up my second word from Spanish 101. Trabajo = work. Said after the Sixers grabbed like 5 offensive boards on one possession and Brand finally scored on the put-back.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:33

i'm sure i will criticize something about him during the year but i think EB is going to be huge with this offense. and for the team as a whole esp on the boards on both ends.

I like the intensity of the two big men on that possession to get that basket, that was as much willpower as anything.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:35

the few times they havent been on the run with the ball they have been running the crap out of this offense. it is creating opportunities and looks but we may not be knocking most of them down. but the looks are key.

I find Lou Williams' inability to score on Nash worrying. I mean, everyone scores against Nash at all. Williams somehow tries to shoot jumpers over his head, and it's not working. The kid is quick enough to get past most guards. Why he shoots so many jumpers God only knows.

Holy shit. That's the dunk of the night.

Iguodala in the open floor, second only to LBJ in the open floor.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:39

damn iggy with shimmy off the dribble, whew.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:42

it's convenient to call this the PO but it really isn't the original. EJ has so many variations and additions to it and borrowed principles from the Triangle also. it just creates so many looks if the guys can just make the right read.

One day, hopefully soon, people will start to appreciate just how good Iguodala is.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:43

understatement on dala.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:45

smooth like butter with that J.

Iguodala, on fire. 23, 5 and 7 so far. No turnovers. 10/16 shooting.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:46

dala has clearly worked on his handle this summer. whew.

Iggy to Sp8s, that was mighty sick!

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:47

me thinks i am going to really like kapono...

I like how he is virtually automatic from downtown when he has his feet set. getting a guy like that for the minimum is excellent GM work.

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Oct 18 at 20:53

and to think, just for Reg.

2 on 1 break, Willie blows it. Wonderful.

8 assists for Iguodala now, Kapono for an open three.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 20:48

i think we all left one thing out................

Let's GO SIXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:25.9 PHI - J. Kapono makes a 23-foot three-pointer from the right corner. Assist: W. Green

That's wrong. Iguodala made the pass to Kapono.

With the game so wide open, let's give the rookie some burn.

Jrue back in. With Willie, Kapono, Smith and Primoz.

I like how Holiday stays in front of his man. He can effectively do what Ivey does, except jack up the bad shots.

Is it just me or is Kapono sneaky in the way he intercepts passes? It's almost as if they imagine he's useless defensively and the ball finds its way into his hands.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:08

sorry, but i think ivey is going to be under the gun around here. but EJ can change that when he feels the need. my faith is in you coach.

Amundson is a bad guy for Speights to be covering. 100% hustle, going to outwork him on that end. On the other end, MS looks comfortable and not shy at all :)

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:10

he wouldn't know shy even if it knew him.

Speights is such a poor man's Amare, with the quickness and athleticism but just no desire whatsoever to play on the defensive end. It's such a waste of talent.

Actually, you just described the actual Amare as well :)

Alvin reply to Brian on Oct 18 at 21:18

I do think it applies to both of them.

Movement has stopped. Last two possessions they just passed the ball around the perimeter until the clock was down to 5, then Jrue took questionable shots.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:19

sam done went to sleep hasn't he.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:21

willie's handle looks to be showing the effects of some practice just like dala's.

22-point win. 5-1 on the preseason now.

This game was absolutely dominated by the Sixers' starters, good to see.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:22

Really good, mostly crisp game guys. Way to spank that ass.

I know it's just the preseason but still....

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 21:25

Is it over already?? How long before they come on tv again? I bet on the 28th...

"Iguodala in the open floor, second only to LBJ in the open floor."

But what about Sonny WEEEEEEEMS? (Or have you not seen that highlight? Crazy Toronto announcer.)

Sean reply to Tray on Oct 18 at 22:26

LOL, I hated those two

johnny woods on Oct 18 at 21:53

For stretches of the game, that was probably the best overall offense attack I've seen from the Sixers since the mid 80's. It looks like Lou and Sammy aren't playing to their strengths offensively (throughout the preseason, Sam has looked like a black hole at times, and Lou has GOT to get inside more), but the rest of the team seems to be clicking nicely.
Even though they may not be specifically running the PO, it seems like there is more movement even when they are basically running last year's offense.

All of this bodes well.
I think the 4-seed should be the minimum expectation this season. I know it was the (somewhat deflated) Phoenix Suns, but that was a beautiful display tonight.

EugeneBWhitake on Oct 18 at 22:02

I'm not sure how the four seed isn't the 'best' the sixers can do this season. To get better than the four seed they'd have to win the division, and while I agree that the Celtics aren't as good as projected, they are still much better than the sixers.

Let us not read too much positive or negative into the pre-season games. It is a foolhardy errand to think that much is telling from said games. Until the regular season starts, believing that a team with such new components, starters, and systems to show an improvement enough on their previous years record to get the 4 seed (or higher) seems overly ambitious.

Sam Dalembert often does well against the Suns and then does not do well against many other teams. The numbers don't indicate how bad he still looks in the offense or the fact that he still has issues with rebounding (or the fact that the Suns still do not play defense even with Mike D'antoni gone).

I have seen nothing to indicate this team is going to win a playoff round this year or have home court advantage in said playoff round.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 22:09

Ayers may deserve some credit too with the way they were playing the passing lanes at the start, creating all of those steals and break opportunities. If they can turn over teams like that then they won't have to be under the microscope so much in the halfcourt.

I kind of feel Lou just trusts his jumper a little too much, but early, I like the look of him out there with that unit esp with Dala playing so much point forward like he did for many possessions tonight. It's just the difference of seeing him (Lou) out there instead of Miller that looks appealing.

Lou's man actually has to go out to the arc to guard him.

I agree that 4th seed looks like the best, not the worst, we could do. How could we possibly be better than Boston, Cleveland or Orlando? What are the chances of us being better than Atlanta? Miami should be decent, and Toronto could surprise. I think we're a sixth to eighth seed, maybe a fifth. To top fourth, at least one superstar would have to suffer a season-ending injury.

eddies' heady's on Oct 18 at 22:18

I predicted a bleak record for the first month of the season a few weeks back on here. They have a heck of a road to hoe on paper.

It's still way too early to tell but I will say this - Eddie Jordan will play a major role in this team's climb up the playoff seeding ladder, just by himself. He's going to be that good. I'm convinced.