Opening Up In Orlando

Now I'm pumped for the game even more. I don't expect a win too but you never know. I just hope Thad comes out better than I expect him to. Can't wait to see Brand for 30+ minutes. The numbers doesn't interest me right away. I just hope to see him move a lot faster...

You never know is correct. Who would have expected the Wiz to beat Dallas in Dallas last night ?

Tray reply to Rob_STC on Oct 28 at 15:47

People who think that Washington will be good, and there are a lot of those people out there.

I think even Wiz believers were probably a little surprised by a win at Dallas. I still don't think Wash. is for real.

Tray reply to Brian on Oct 28 at 17:08

They were a pretty decent team in the Arenas-Hughes-Jamison days, and though they've lost Hughes and won't have Jamison back for a while, Butler more than makes up for Hughes, they've added some solid perimeter help and guys like Blatche are maturing into something. They may even play defense this year too. Besides, Dallas's day is really over. So I don't see how that was such a surprising win, and I don't see why they can't be a 47-win team.

So you think they're 4 games better now than they were before Arenas missed two seasons with knee injuries. Plus, no Jamison for who knows how long? Mike Miller and Randy Foye make that much of a difference? I think you're wrong.

Tray reply to Brian on Oct 28 at 18:47

I don't think they will win 47 - Arenas is a health risk - but with him healthy, they're a good team. I'm not so sure how much better they are with Jamison anyway, he's not that efficient, not that good defensively. He does rebound but for the most part his production is replaceable. I also like the addition of Oberto, and I think Saunders is a better coach than EJ. And again, Blatche may have a breakout year.

Brian: 'Typically against Orlando, my philosophy has been to leave Dalembert on an island with Dwight Howard, and stick to the shooters like glue.' - everyone knows thats the book on Orlando. best chance to beat 'em but can Jordan get his team to actually do that? we'll find out.
I dont know if they are weaker now. but I can tell you their defense is still top notch.

Will be doing the remote control channel flip tonight. After reading what you wrote Brian, the Sixers have a good chance of winning tonight IF they can shoot 45% or better.

Holiday is inactive tonight. interesting. guess you need brezec against howard.

Damnit. I don't want to see that, but I guess they need Primoz's 6 fouls.

Alright, World Series tickets fell through. I'll be watching the game until the first pitch of the World Series (as I imagine most of you will), then I'm going to shut down the computer until baseball is done, when I'll pick up where I left off. Finally, basketball that matters.

You never know with these season openers. They could get a surprise win or be hammered by 40. But I'd rather have them open against a stronger team since fluky outcomes are more likely in the opener.

Sammy fakes the DPOY out of his jock and converts the three-point play!

Lou doesn't close out on Jameer, wide-open look.

Brand is really working down low. Helps to have Ryan Anderson guarding him. Lou sets his feet and drains a three.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:24

Get on him Dala for that stupid pass.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:28

Sam that is.

I believe that's 4 shots for Sammy in the first 5 minutes, and a turnover. They need to really take advantage when Howard comes to double Brand, and they should keep going to EB on the post if that's how they're going to defend it. Two quick passes should result in a dunk or an open three in that situation.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:30

No need for a quick shot like that Dala

I think he just wanted to get one up there. Hopefully, he can find a better one than that next time.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:31

EB playing with a purpose. Nice.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:34

Master of panic, gotta love it.

Fucking beautiful series there. Two blocks for Sammy, ignites the break. And-one on the other end.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:35

sp8's in for sam. don't be gunning now 'reese

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:36

put DH on the line the rest of the night. 3 for Thad!

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:37

Kind of shocked you said in the post that they should double DH with Thad. Not sure I agree with that premise.

It looks like Thad is on VC. I assumed he'd be on Pietrus. Of the starters, I make Pietrus beat us from the outside, that was my point.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 28 at 19:42

it wasn't so much who we double off of, it was that i think Sam can play him straight up. same philosophy as the playoffs last year.

That's the ideal, but there's less downside to doubling w/out Shard and Lee on the floor. Doubling may lead to more turnovers. Maybe I should've said use it sparingly, but it's more of an option with this roster.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:38

already hit EJ's goal of 24 a quarter.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:40

beautiful play for a sp8's J.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:41

Come on sp8's, not boxing out and they kick out for a 3 and then conceding the lane. you have to challenge the drivers and protect the rim.

Lou and four bench guys to start the second. HATE THIS.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 28 at 19:51

me don't like either. and lou looking like iverson staring at the damn refs looking for a call and not getting back.

Brand is looking much more spry today, team looks pretty good in whole

Smith is the designated gunner, I guess. Gortat with the Hammer.

Ugh. Iguodala, Thad or Brand. One of them must be on the floor at all times.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Oct 28 at 19:51

100% agree.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:53

5 of the second unit, now. interesting.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:53

man, carney is active as heck on D. whew.

Alright, I'm off to watch the series. This second unit is disgusting me. Down 11 with 7:43 to go in the second.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 19:57

get sp8's ass out of there and put sam back in. he makes one but gives up two. dammit.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:03

where's the defense in the 2nd quarter? Oh, sam is on the bench and sp8's is lighting up the scoreboard but not playing a lick of D.

f&*king D looks grrrrrreat!

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:15

good job Lou, fouling a desperation heave from half court with .1 seconds left. typical ending to a crappy quarter.

haven't looked at the box but i think they just gave up 41 in the 2nd quarter. ugh

LOU WILLIAMS IS AN IDIOT

With this opening performance by the 6ers, hopefully the Phills make me happy enough to absolutely ruin your night Brian.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:36

Oh how I wish we had some three point shooters.

We do, we shot really well from deep tonight.

The statement should be..Oh how I wish this team could find a way to defend some three point shooters

eddies' heady's reply to Ryan F on Oct 28 at 22:22

Don't be fooled by the box/stats. Several of those were in garbage time when the Magic had mailed it in. Sans Kapono, there isn't anyone you can say that you would be confident in taking a three.

In tune with my offseason ranting, I am still perturbed by the front office only carrying 13 and not at least getting another shooter or two (not taking into account the many they passed up). It was a glaring weakness last year and they have allowed themselves to come into this season with pretty much the same problem (especially if they give up as many open looks on the other end).

Kapono was a nice get, but you can't reasonably expect him to get enough minutes to make a difference. This offense will present countless looks for medium range jumpers and beyond, but with practically the same lineup as last year they will struggle mightily to knock those looks down.

I don't care what time they hit them, or who was on the floor. The players that shot the ball tonight from deep shot well. We won't be Orlando good from 3 this year but we shouldn't be any where as bad as last year.

Perimeter defense was a HUGE glaring weakness last year. In fact the defense wasn't very good at contesting many shots unless it was Iguodala checking a guard or Sam down low.

This team must figure out how to rotate and get out on shooters properly right now or it will be long games against teams like this.

eddies' heady's reply to Ryan F on Oct 29 at 21:01

While I agree that perimeter defense was a weakness last year, throughout the league who really has a formidable perimeter defense with the current rules? It's kind of hard to have one.

But even if you contest shots and rotate properly, if you have no one at the other end that can consistently knock down shots or at least pose the threat, your stop on defense pretty much goes for naught if you can't score either. We just don't have enough quality shooters or guys that can get to the line enough times to counter all the made three's from opponents. Lou is your only threat to get to the line consistently.

I seriously doubt we will be much better from three than last year to make a difference in outcomes of games. Percentage may be a few points better (mainly from Kapono) but not to result in more wins.

Carney and Kapono are both better than anyone we had on the team last year not named Donyell, and it looks like both will play much more than Donyell did. I wrote a post on how much improvement we needed to make from three to move up from abysmal to below average.

Based on the math I did back then, we needed 193 threes from guys who weren't on the roster at the time to get to below average from three. That would mean 193 from Kapono, Carney and Jrue. I think Kapono is probably good for 100+, so the question then becomes whether Carney + Jrue can hit maybe 1 three per game. I don't think that's out of the question. It looks like Carney has the green light whenever he's out there, so he may do it himself.

As for the ability to get to the line, Iguodala, Williams and Speights are the three I'd count on making frequent trips.

Point being, they'll make strides from three this season, they should probably make more trips to the line as well (Lou's FT rate is higher than Miller's was, Speights should at least limit the loss of Williams' FTA from the bench).

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:40

Orl play by play announcer: Sp8's has a chance to be a 15 to 20 pt scorer.

Matt Guokas' reply: yeah, b/c he shoots it everytime.

Soooooooo true.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:43

Does anyone mind going out to the line and guarding Ryan Anderson? Ummmm, he's not going to post up. COME ON.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 20:46

Every damn season we don't realize the court extends out to the three point line. And that is compounded more b/c we don't have any true shooters ourselves to counter all the ones we conveniently give up. Continually give up.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 21:00

Well, the Magic have 100 points.............and............its only the end of the 3rd quarter....

I'm one of the most defensive when it comes to Brand, and it's still early days but based on the box score it looks like he was really bad out there.

Speights can score, we know that. But he has to TRY to run after somebody or stay with somebody. It's like 4-on-5 when Speights is on the floor and the other team has possession.

100 points after 3 quarters is inexcusable, some of the rotations (like Lou & four bench players) are not going to work. With a game like this that was virtually over at half time with the team letting in points like crazy, it would have made sense to let Jrue play a minute or two.

eddies' heady's on Oct 28 at 22:43

Another thing - they cannot go through the season with Speights backing up Sam. If Sam is only going to play around 25-30 minutes or get in foul trouble, they have to have a defensive center to protect the rim come in the game. Primoz is definitely not that. Theo filled that role capably last year and, again, the front office did not address this obvious weakness.

Yep, and getting Primo just did not make any damn sense.