Sixers Extend Preseason (Play)

deepsixersuede on Oct 29 at 8:00

Brian, a young guy [R.Anderson] should be taken advantage of by Elton, that worries me a bit.And L.Will. better, as the season goes on, be held accountable when he gets taken to school by a guy ,Williams, out of basketball last year. Did you get the feeling Jordan was afraid to take L.Will. off the floor, I did.I just watched till 1/2 time, will watch 2nd 1/2 tonight before the series.

Rob_STC on Oct 29 at 8:23

This was about as disappointing a start as could happen. If I wasn't watching baseball last night I think you would have to talk me off a ledge with this team. I know it is only one game but it was deja vu all over again with the Magic raining threes. At first they kept sucking in defensively in the lane and leaving players for open corner threes. They I saw a bunch of times Lou came to double team Howard which was ineffective and they never trapped any pick and roll. That is the one thing Lou has to learn, you need to fight over the screener not back up underneath. Where is Randy Ayers our defensive guru ?

eddies' heady's on Oct 29 at 8:45

Not much to say but, that picture is a classic! Spot on...

Milwaukee on Fri. just became all the more interesting. They better pick their pants up off the floor or they will get run off the court by them too.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Oct 29 at 9:05

Btw, on a side note, Ty Lawson sure looked ready for prime time last night with 17 pts, 6 assts, 4 rebs, with only one turnover in 26 minutes last night. Heck of an opening line.

We sure could use that in order to relegate Lou to where he probably fits better - as instant scoring off the bench.

Every stathead in the world said that kid would make a great player. Have to say, though, I caught some of Warriors-Clippers last night, and Curry can pass the ball.

It's about 3 years too early for mea culpas and I told you so's. Let's at least wait until Jrue dresses for a game :)

Tray reply to Brian on Oct 29 at 11:56

You know, I totally forgot that he was even there when we drafted; I was just thinking about how low he went.

Ty Lawson will turn 22 next week. So lets compare his 1st game with the Season opener for Jrue... IN 3 YEARS.

Tray reply to tk76 on Oct 29 at 13:14

That's kind of begging the question, isn't it? If you draft a guy and think he won't be so good for 3 years, that's kind of a reason to not draft him, at least if you're trying to contend during those 3 years.

Right now Speights and Sam Play center. Smith and Brand play PF. Eventually they will learn the other position in the offense and be more interchangeable, but for now Speights will only be playing at C.

I realize in most systems the C and PF have similar roles, but that is not the case in the P.O. eventually Speights and Sam should be a good combo with Sam covering for some of Speights defensive lapses in a way Smith cannot. But Speights needs to learn the P.O. as a PF.

As for Speights, you always want better defense and rebounding... But at least he did not get timid against Howard (or Amare or KG.) That bodes well for his future in terms of potentially taking at least his offensive game to a star level. As for the defensive end, who knows if he will ever be decent but at least he has the physical tools.

Crick reply to tk76 on Oct 29 at 12:49

"...what I would like to see is Dalembert and Speights in the frontcourt together." - Brian

Agreed. Though, as tk says, that's not yet possible. Moreover, I think the core issue that really needs to be addresses is having Smith and Speights on the floor at the same time. That simply can't happen anymore. Every other PF/C combination (i.e. Brand/Dalembert, Smith/Dalembert, and Brand/Speights) is acceptable.

Michael Redd has missed team practice for 3 days due to back pains, but says he will play in the Sixers' home opener. Perhaps we should be more optimistic about the next game.