Second Half Redemption

Some thoughts.
- The Bucks could really use Speights in their frontcourt. He'd get 20 points a game for them. Their frontcourt is horrible. No way Bogut should be a 1 or 2 option at the offensive end of the court. Without the rookie point their would be no reason to watch them play.
- Lou Will should've stayed in bed. I hope he was sick. He was embarassed.
- Ivey is still a royal pain-in-the-ass on defense. Glad he is on our team.
- Andre was dominent in that 3rd qtr. Nice to see.
- Speights has to stop with the animation after the ref's calls.
- Sammy looked good. Willie looked bad.
- Good changes all around on Comcast. Nice relaxed broadcast by Easy Ed and Zume. Enjoyed their style.

deepsixersuede on Oct 31 at 8:36

Carney, Ivey and Jrue are gradually fading Willie into the sunset; their defensive quickness and ability to hit deep jumpers are making our new coaches mind up for him. Say-Hey Willie !!!!!!`

I agree that Lou did not have is best game w/ the flu. But, he looked like an allstar compared to healthy Willie Green (and he was killing M16 along w/ his damage!). The crowd liked seeing Holiday play tonight and hope it continues in a limited basis while he gets use to the big boys.

What a waste of money and roster space. It is nice to see a different sixers after half time. We have a coach that looks like he can coach. I am guessing he is tinkering w/ the line up still on replacements as to why Carney did not play.

I agree that Lou did not have is best game w/ the flu. But, he looked like an allstar compared to healthy Willie Green (and he was killing M16 along w/ his damage!). And, Willie Green, What a waste of money and roster space. The crowd liked seeing Holiday play tonight and hope it continues in a limited basis while he gets use to the big boys.

I think we all are in agreement about Willie Green but why does Jordan continue to praise him. He came in and went 0-5, and was a big nothing for 7:36. How or why would Jordan say he gave us a life. Sammy was +18 , crowd was getting on him for his offense but I will take 10, 12 and a couple of blocks every single night.

eddies' heady's reply to Rob_STC on Oct 31 at 12:32

My take on this is - he has no choice but to boost him publicly. Jrue will get better (i hope) with more minutes, but just can't cut it mentally right now (i'm assuming EJ knows this from scrimmages and practice). And Ivey typically struggles to hit the side of a barn. So Willie is his only option to come in and man one guard spot and maybe hit a shot from time to time while playing passable defense.

EJ knows that Willie is struggling and Willie knows it too, so he is merely doing what any coach would do - try to influence his players confidence through the papers and in the lockerroom (which i'm sure he is already doing).He did this with Jrue too after the pre-season Knicks game through the press.

Look, Willie may not be liked personally but that can't get in the way of the bigger picture. No coach should rip his guys or scorn them through the media. The proper thing to do, no matter the depth or truth to it, is to throw 'em a pick-me-upper.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 12:34

Btw, the chart doesn't pull up properly for some reason when clicking on it. You can't see the bottom of it on the post or when enlarging. The last one from the first game wouldn't even pull up.

You are right about the way Jordan motivates. He never says anything negative to the media. It is always something positive to boost an ego or motivate guys. Probably a good way to handle things.

Brian, you hit the nail on the head regarding the first-half substitution patterns: it's all about making sure there is enough defense and (defensive) rebounding on the floor. You may have talked about it after the Magic game too, but I was too disgusted to make any comments (or read any blogs) after that game. But the pattern so far has been: solid first quarter, subs lose ground quickly in the second quarter, starters come back in and lose more ground late in the second. In this Bucks game, the starters turned it back around in the 3rd, rescuing what would have been an ugly loss. Regarding substitutions, interestingly, Jason Smith's rotations didn't lose any ground while he was in. Also, the Speights-Brand combo didn't play much (wonder why?).

Although it was hard to tell at times, I did think Lou made a better effort to at least close out on 3-point shooters. I don't know why he can't move his feet to cut off opposing PG's from easy lay-ups -- esp. slow ones like Ridnour or Jason Williams.

I didn't think Brand looked that much better, but he wound up with 17 on 11 shots, so he did better than it looked. Maybe it was because none of hit post baskets went straight in (2 or 3 clanged off the rim and went in); his best baskets were a two-hand dunk (off Iguodala's nice feed) and a swished jumper.

Here's a question for all of you who have been following the Sixers this year: has anyone heard whether Jordan has given his players the "green light" to take the first open 3 that presents itself, the way DiLeo did? (And I guess I'm asking about players other than Kapono, who should always have the green light.) I ask, of course, because WillieG needs a red light in the worst way ...

deepsixersuede reply to Statman on Oct 31 at 18:59

I am hoping that Willie ONLY gets on the court when Carney and Kapono are out there so he drives or gives it up rather than trying to be a sniper, something he is not.

My guess would be that everyone has the green light to take open threes, outside of Sammy. Green is a terrible player, but he isn't this bad. It's funny, I was extremely worried that he'd be the first guard off the bench, but he's been buried in the rotation so far. Hope it stays like that.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 17:15

Speaking of Jason Smith, I noticed in two of the pre-season games and it has translated to the first two games too, he just seems to have really good footwork when playing defense. He shuffles and shifts and slides very well it appears. One particular play last night, I think a guy was backing him down near the baseline and the opponent tried a turn-around jumper and Smith got a hand on it and blocked it. This block was caused by his active footwork.

Now don't come out tonight and prove me wrong J.

I remember that play, it was against Warrick, who had a quickness advantage on him. Smith still seems a little jumpy to me out there, needs some confidence more than anything, I think. When he got in the flow in the final two preseason games he was draining jumpers, running the floor and crashing the boards. Hopefully, it'll come with time.

eddies' heady's on Oct 31 at 19:34

Any that have questions of EB's lift need only look at that play right after the start of the third quarter last night where he got up and blocked the guy's shot that was driving to the hoop.