Tom Moore Asks the Question

Court_visioN on Nov 2 at 22:07

I'm seriously hoping Eddie Jordan just had a brain fart when he was answering that question, because that's a very disturbing philosophy.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 0:11

You know, it's funny how Mr. Moore singles out Kapono in addition to him being singled out here for the fourth quarter minutes. What about the roughly 12 minutes he played in the first half? Where's the criticism of that?

What about the most skewed stat of all of Dala (-16) and Thad (-15) and Lou (-15) in that same fourth quarter for their plus/minus? But most importantly, if Kapono only gave up 8 points to the guy he was guarding in the 4th quarter, who's to blame for the other 33 that was given up in that same quarter?

EJ only played two bigs together for a total of approximately 17 minutes in the first half and around 11:30 of the second half. I don't know why he never pulled J Smith off the bench but Sam was in foul trouble (as you mentioned in your wrap) in the second half. They only gave up five more points (-5) to the Knicks when he really went small with Thad at the five, so what about the other 10 given up when he had at least one big on the floor (and he had 2 bigs on the floor for 3 min of the fourth)?

Sam was in foul trouble and EJ had saw that EB could not stay with Harrington. So if EB couldn't stay with him, we have to assume neither Speights or J Smith couldn't either. Who else was left if the argument was he needed to stay with the big lineup? He had at least one big on the floor for the whole second half except for 1:49. I can't seem to find the harm in that.

The Knicks went on a run like most teams will do in this league and our guys relaxed after building a big lead on the second night of a back-to-back. After looking more closely at the rotations I don't see where EJ seriously blundered except for the last play.

Different outlook or devil's advocate? I would say outlook, but interesting to say the least.

The only thing I said about Kapono was that he shouldn't have been in the game for the final play of regulation. I'll continue saying that 'til the day I die.

As for Kapono's first half minutes, well, when he was in there in a small lineup (only 1 big), they were -3. When he was in there in a big lineup (2 bigs) they were +6.

The point remains, the Knicks went on a run, possibly because of Dalembert's foul trouble and Jordan's reaction was to play their game for the entirety of the run instead of going to the rotations that had been working all game long.

He started the quarter with two bigs in the game (Brand and Speights), they were +1 for 2:10. Then when he finally went back to the big lineup, they were even for the 2 possessions it took Sammy to foul out. All other rotations in the fourth quarter, all SMALL rotations with either zero or one big, were a combined -16 and gave up 35 points in 9:12.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 0:37

And another note about that game that was more alarming was the comeback didn't start in the fourth quarter but it actually started in the second. We scored a whopping 10 pts in the second quarter after throwing up 40 in the first. And he played two bigs together for all but 5 min of the second quarter. He also played two bigs together for nine minutes of the third and we got outscored by four in that quarter. Doesn't appear that that going big philosophy was working so good after all.

Please check your facts. The Sixers scored 30 points in the second quarter, and won the quarter by 4 points. When they went small in the second, they were -4, +8 with 2 bigs on the floor. And as for the third quarter, well when they were big they were -1. When they were small they were -3.

No matter how you slice it, big lineups performed well, small lineups did not. They had a big lead, against a bad team, and for whatever reason Jordan did the opposite of what he should have with his rotations when it mattered most. It didn't cost them a win, in this situation, and hopefully he learned his lesson.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 9:07

Sorry, Yahoo boxscore still shows the second quarter as incorrect and the final score as incorrect. It was like that yesterday and still today. Didn't have TiVo to watch it again but knew that it seemed odd that yahoo only listed us as scoring 10 in the second and watching it live I was sure we had ran it up more than that. Are there boxscores incorrect days later on a regular basis like this? Should have checked elsewhere while researching last night.

JohnMagee on Nov 3 at 0:30

Well there's a comment from Eddie Jordan that just inspires confidence.

Do NBA players have curfews and do I like that Thad Young is up at midnight the day before a game sending twits to his account? I do not - but I'm old

Eh, shoot around in the morning, then a couple hours to nap before the game. I don't have a problem w/ midnight.

Tray reply to JohnMagee on Nov 3 at 1:11

Come on, midnight is early. What if he's a Phillies fan, is he not allowed to watch the post-game recaps?

JohnMagee reply to Tray on Nov 3 at 10:59

Not if there's a team crufew the night before a game against the celtics - no he's not.

Wouldn't a curfew just mean he has to be in his room by midnight? I don't think guys have team mandated bed times.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 12:46

So - up at 4 am playing xbox but in their room night before a game - cool with you?

I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't see how you can avoid it. Mainly, you don't want these guys out at clubs getting hammered until 4am. If there's a curfew, it's really to avoid those types of situations, make sure they're home and safe by a certain time. It's not really about getting a good night's sleep.

Even if they're up 'til 4 am playing XBOX, that's 4 or 5 hours of sleep before the shoot around, then another 2 or 3 in the afternoon before the game. 6-8 hours is a dream for me at this point, and even when I was their age I didn't average anywhere near that much.

Would you rather have Thad at home on Twitter at midnight or at a club with Stephen Jackson?

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 13:27

I'm just giving you a hard time grandpa

Oddly enough, I'm still pretty likely to be up 'til 4 am playing a video game.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 14:06

When I play video games i do play them in rather loarge chunks (like 12-15 hour chunks) i just don't play that often - and these days I just don't have the time

TheAnswerAI on Nov 3 at 2:47

I asked tom moore on realgm if he could ask this question and I'm happy he did that. That was a joke of an answer. That man is a ridiculous bad coach if this is his philosophy.

I was really upset that he did play Kapono on Gallinari or Kapono on Harrington on that 3 point play, but what really made me angry was that Kapono was in there on the last play. That is one of the most stupid calls I've ever seen together with the decision to play that small on the last play.