Celtics Could Provide Early Measuring Stick

I am going tonight and look forward to watching some fun basketball. Not expecting a win so I will not be disappointed. However, I am not convinced that this is a loss IF Lou and Thad defend their guys. I also think Boston may be in shock w/ the sixers energy tonight and it should be an exciting game.

We win IF BOSTON cannot shoot 3s!

Someone linked to that before. I wish he'd get him some minutes if that's how he really feels.

yaboishaad on Nov 3 at 17:23

can we watch this game anywhere. I'm getting tired of gamecast

nba.com is still having a free trial of their nba broadband package, you can watch it on there for free (this is the last day, I think). Also, if you have digital cable or directv, the league pass is still on free trial as well.

Boston has been very good from behind the three-point line this year. They are 5th in the league in makes and 6th in percentage at 44 percent. Pierce, Allen and Sheed all make over 2 a game. At this point in his career, Pierce is not their primary offensive playmaker. So maybe that's why you put AI on Allen to try and take his shooting completely out of the game.
Rondo has totally taken over as the playmaker on the team with everyone at full strength. Pierce has become a scary catch and shoot guy, but not the guy they run offense through. Rondo has the ball in his hands the entire game, dribbling and looking to make a play for someone else. The goal is to make him a scorer (especially a shooter) and religiously stayed home on everyone except Perkins.
The scary line-up is Sheed and KG as the bigs. Stretches the floor like crazy, tough to defend.

Very tough to defend. I'll always have nightmares about the Sheed high pick and pop when his jumper is falling. So tough to defend.

deepsixersuede on Nov 3 at 18:26

It may be a good night for Carney to get 20 some minutes.An Iggy/Pierce and Carney/Allen matchup scenerio may be our best defensively and make Allen chase Rodney down the other end.Brian, if E.Snow is a one and Mo Cheeks is a ten on a scale ,what is Rondo. I wonder if he is effective if not surrounded by so much talent.

Here's a thought I hadn't considered. How about Iguodala on Rondo for stretches, and switch Lou over to Ray Allen? Allen isn't that dangerous off the dribble, and if anyone is going to slow down Rondo's penetration, it's Iguodala.

Rondo is very good, an excellent finisher, but his jumper is a liability, as is his free throw shooting. If he's a team's primary weapon, they aren't going to be very good. Just my opinion. He makes Iguodala look like Reggie Miller in the jump shooting department.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:00

Thank goodness no Mike and Heinsohn tonight!!

AI9 on the post against Allen right away. Good call, missed shot.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:13

The refs must have a bet on paying the ballboy with the first foul.

0/6 to start. Ugh.

Attack the body Thad

Excellent move by Sammy abusing Garnett there.

HUGE block by Sammy, after a dumb foul.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:16

Aw, beautiful help d on that play

2 on Perkins. Good or bad for the Sixers?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:22

Bad, with a capital B to me. EB is going to have to forfeit a chance at boards and stay with him out to the line.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:19

Good call on Perkins with the clear out...uh-oh, Perk already has two, does that mean Sheed comin in?

Looooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:21

They are clearing the defensive glass very well to start off.

Sammy is all over the place on D, actually they all are. Celts just had a three on two break and settled for a long two-point jumper by Allen. He missed, but that's a horrible result of a 3 on 2.

I thought you were going to say

If ____________ the Sixers will win: All 5 Celtics starters get struck with H1N1 and don't play.

So far so good, though. Sam is balling.

Great defensive start to the game. Celtics are posting their bigs and isolating Pierce on Thad and Sammy and Elton are forcing tough shots. Keep that ball out of Rondo's hands too!

Wow. Sammy came to play tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:25

They are playing those high ball screens well so far tonight.

Thad's feet look funny on his jumper right now. Like they're too close together.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:27

Thad trigger-happy early with the three's. I'm not confident in him taking that shot with regularity yet. There will be a better shot within the flow to take later.

There you go, attack the hoop Thad.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:29

Exactly, I would rather see Lou or Dala shoot jumpers than him, at this point.

Ugly offensive possession there. They didn't get into their set at all. Defense is excellent though.

They're probably subbing here, but if they don't, I'd put Dalembert on Sheed and Brand on Garnett. Sheed is more of a threat in the post. Just need to watch the pick and pop, which they've done a great job of so far.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:33

Wonder if the gameplan is for Thad to shoot so much tonight? He is Speightsesque with the trigger.

Bad end to the quarter, capped with a Rondo shot over the backboard at the buzzer. 19-17 Celts after one.

Sammy rested for 3 seconds, the other 4 starters played the entire first quarter. If we see the entire second unit here in the second the Sixers will quickly be down by 15.

Brutal way to end the quarter. Not a bad job though, Thad hurt us by jacking shots and letting Pierce blow by him to the cup. Hopefully, Smith can do a better job getting out on Rasheed.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:38

Not enough movement on offense on those last two possessions. Settling for contested jumpers.

And now the threes. Jrue lost House, can't do that.

Shooting 28% from the floor, need to get penetration from someone.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:42

Defensive rotations not as crisp with this unit esp on closing out on three point shots.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:44

This might not be popular, but please get Jrue out of the game.

Jrue caught on the Sheed screen, another three for House. Need to communicate.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:46

Doc is going to keep exploiting the kid on pick and pops and curls for threes.

The first House three was his fault, the second, I'm not sure. Sheed threw a hip out at him that created the space for the shot. The turnover was bad, the assist was good.

Now Marquis Daniels can shoot all the sudden, wonderful.

Down 10, threes are killing them.

Alvin reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:47

same old, same old

Not sure how you should defend that pick and pop w/ Allen and Sheed. I guess you have to fight over the screen and make Allen drive.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:47

Damn, why did Perk have to get those two quick fouls?

5 bench guys. I'm not hopeful.

We've been hammered since Sam left the game and it's no coincidence. Our two reserve bigs are stiffs on the defensive end.

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Nov 3 at 19:51

They've been on the bench for 6+ min. That's enough rest with two days off after this one.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:49

Now Doc is going after Kapono.

About the only thing worse than watching the second unit plod through this quarter is listening to Tommy Heinsohn describe the whole thing. Why haven't they put this guy out to pasture yet?

Luckily, we got the Philly feed on League Pass. I hate those Boston guys w/ a passion.

Alvin reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 19:55

I have Boston. Anything Boston. period.

Alvin reply to Alvin on Nov 3 at 19:57

I meant Hate.

Big play from Lou. Let's go, keep this close w/ the subs out there.

Excellent transition d.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:54

We need ball movement and off-the-ball movement, guys.

F you and your jumper off the dribble, willie.

F you for wasting a break opportunity, Willie.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:57

Man, why does it seem the ball always ends up in Thad's hands when the shot clock it winding down? He is killing us so far in this half.

Iguodala should've come back in over that timeout.

When will the DNP-CDs start with Willie? I really, honestly think they will happen this year.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 19:59

Thad meet Paul Pierce, he just dunked with you supposedly guarding him.

ATTACK THE FRIGGIN' HOOP!

Did Lou not realize they were in the penalty right there?

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:03

EJ really needs to get Thad off of Pierce in the second half. Put him on Ray Allen, Pierce is to savvy for him.

Or give Carney a run in Thad's place.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:04

Sp8's just keep your head in the game. Don't let KG get to you.

Wait. Why did he just take Sam out of the game?

Offense/defense. It actually paid off.

Offense for defense works on one end (Speights hits a J), and Garnett is fouled on the other end. Speights made the right play leaving KG to stop the penetration by Rondo.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:06

Lou sprints in the get the rebound off the missed free throw by KG, all while Sp8's just watched him and he was on the first block.

OK, 36-44 at the half. Could've been better, could've been much worse.

The defense was solid overall, except for that hiccup at the beginning of the second when the subs were in there.

In the second half all those shots Thad was missing need to go to Iguodala. He needs to be the #1 option, especially when Ray Allen is guarding him. I'd probably stick with the defense the way it is now. Thad's getting hurt by Pierce, but he's only 3/7 for 8 points. I don't want Allen getting open for threes.

Here's a prediction for you, if the Sixers can keep it manageable through the third and get to the fourth trailing by less than 12, I think they win the game. Key is going to be the first 6 minutes of the third, if the starters can come out and cut into this lead, I think they have a legit shot.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:25

There just doesn't seem to be any movement on offense. Alot of one on one for some reason.

Timeout. F me.

Does Brand even play on this team?

Yeah, he's that big guy that only touches the ball out past the three-point line.

We are going to get creamed, no doubt about it. I just want to know that the team plays smart fundamental basketball, which should mean cutting the deficit somewhat.

I think the second team gives up so many 3's because they are used to playing the Sixers starters- who don't hit 3's.

Bad call on that goaltend.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:29

Get Thad off of Pierce!! Please.

9-0 run to start the third. Wonderful.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:30

Dag, Dala just walked.

Garnett has a potty mouth.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:31

Will someone, anyone get a body on Rondo when the shot goes up?

Still too much one on one on offense.

Is Brand

worse than Sixer CWebb?

Well, he'll never miss as many shots as Webber did, so no, I don't think so.

That is deflating. I think I'm going to go into denial and just say he's rope-a-doping us.

Rondo's first FTA of the season.

Sixers could ge a GREAT D team with the right coaching.

Yup. That's a fact, jack.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 3 at 20:51

That's a myth as long as Thad and Lou are in your top five. You have to be a semblance of an individual defender before you can grasp team defense.

Jesus, Thad is just gunning and I can't figure out why. 6-0 run, though, down 14. Let's go, you took their shot, now punch back.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:35

Thad you are really pissing me off with your gunning mentality. You are not a jump shooter, you are a slasher or driver at this point in your career. SO, stop jacking up three's.

27 minutes for Thad, 1 rebound.

It took a few minutes to wake up, but they can't let Rondo get free on the ball screens. They did a much better job on the last couple of possessions.

Rocky couldn't shoot either. A true Sixer.

Shit, good d, lucky bounce right to Pierce. Looks like they switched ai9 onto him.

Sixers are getting into the offense with only 11 sec left on the clock most sets.

Thad just loves going under those screens, huh?

My official call for...

BRING IN SPEIGHTS FOR OLD MAN BRAND.

Or maybe give brand the ball.

Yeah, that too.

Get Thad off the floor. He's killing us on both ends. At least switch AI onto Pierce.

Nice interior pass by Thad.

Nice pass Thad.

and a Brand sighting!

He picked up a loose ball in the post. That's literally the first time he's gotten the ball down there, and it was on a loose ball. Awesome.

Brutal rotations.

BTW, Sheed is 5 years older than old man Brand.

Rondo will outleap Brand.

Just missing open shots, it's not great defense. Just can't throw the bal into the ocean

Kapono and Speights can shoot.

Will the Sixers hit 70?

Give that bitch a T.

Ball don't lie

I posted before the (2nd) miss of a T.

At least Carney is making Pierce work. Shocking that Sheed is blowing a gasket. He passed the friggin' ball on that play.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 20:48

Pts off turnovers, given-up three's, and a few 2nd chance points are killing us. Oh, and surely Thad.

I actually like this lineup they've been using with Carney at the two and AI9 at the point. See, down by 15, this is when you get desperate and try crazy lineups. You have to swing momentum. You don't do it when you're up 20.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 20:55

He should have gave Rodney a run earlier. Thad can't be above not being pulled when playing awful. He seems to pull others when they screw up. I've said it since this past weekend, Thad is giving us nothing right now. No O, and def no D. So, play Kapono or Rodney.

Well, Kapono is getting torched by Marquis Daniels.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:02

Torched? He only has 6 pts. and only scored 2 of those on Kapono.

I was referring to the play that happened immediately before I posted that.

AI9's first FTA of the game.

Down 54-69 after 3. I say they break 70 easy, 80? Probably not.

0/11 from three so far. Ugh.

And 0/2 on T's

More Speights/Iguodala 2 man game

Jason Smith loses Sheed for a three, then loses Shelden Williams for a dunk. Fan-tastic!

I understand putting Speights in there for Sam for offense. But why haven't we tried putting both of them in there at the same time? That could work better than putting Thad right now.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 21:05

Thad just go friggin tweet or something! Go take your shower.

Sixers struggle to generate a missed 3. Celtics get an easy open 3 (from a legit 3pt shooter) anytime they want.

Not surprising, just reality for this team right now. This year... low expectations.

Jrue/Iggy/Carney/Speights/Sam. Go.

They may not hit 60.

eddies' heady's on Nov 3 at 21:09

Why didn't we get some more shooters in the offseason? That will continue to be a familiar refrain. The shots are surely there.

Talent level of the rosters asside...

I have Thibbideau envy. Really respect the way this C team defends.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 3 at 21:13

I really don't see anything great about their defense. We just can't shoot to save our lives. And they can.

Brutal, only way to describe it. Just brutal. Sheldon Williams?

PRIMOZZZ!

I hope he isn't wearing a suit. This would be a perfect time to put him in.

It's like a feeding frenzy out there.

How about a moral victory, hit one three before this game is over.

eddie house is a dousche

Lester Hudson 1
Sixers 0

3's

2-0

I'm waiting for Scalabrine to beat the Sixers from three. It's coming.

Shocking to see Willie jacking up shots.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:18

Thad whispered in his ear.

I almost went to this game too, if I would of spent money to see this I wouldn't of gone to another game the rest of my life

Jack it up, Willie. That's why you're out there.

This was an 8-point game at the half?

Jrue is my hero. 1/1 from three.

3333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Jrue

lol Willie.

And he put us over 70. Player of the game (not kidding).

Damnit, Sixers 1, Scalabrine 1

Zoo w/ too much info:

"He is equally adept with either hand... and he goes both ways."

Alvin reply to tk76 on Nov 3 at 21:26

LOL! It made me laugh despite a 31-point hiding.

Now to try and forget I just watched that game.

Phew. Was worried they wouldn't quite lose by 30.

Well, the second half was a tad disappointing. I'm going to eat dinner, I'll post the wrap later tonight.

Well, I guess we have our "measuring stick."

Of course the Magic game was not different.

So I guess we know teams can kill the Sixers with 3's, defense or both. Hope they at least can keep eaking out wins against the lottery teams. Maybe they'll be competitive with good teams sometime later this year- but unlikely in '09.

but unlikely in '09

Fair statement. Have to hope they can keep winning against the bad teams while they're figuring things out (if they're figuring things out).

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 3 at 21:27

Good statement, the second half was a tad disappointing.

Well, the whole game was a Thad disappointing.

True. And we needed to see more Jrue.