Sixers Head to etroit

Sixers are lucky to be facing another depleted team. Otherwise I thought they were going to be blown out with the way they have been playing. As it stands its a toss up. I honestly think the Sixers, despite their record, have been playing as bad as anyone in the NBA right now.

Detroit may have no D but they will probably still mop the floor with the Sixers. Sixers are playing awful...I honestly think they would have trouble beating some college teams. Elton Brand is a flat out bust on this team...he is never going to be even 75% of the player he was 4 years ago. Is Jrue SO bad that he cant play on a team that has been mediocre for almost a decade ? What exactly do we have to lose by playing him ?
I cant stand what this team has become...mediocre with no upside in sight for years to come. I would rather be rebuilding. Thats a little hard though being we tied up a ridiculous amount of money in some really bad contracts...number one bad contract is Brand. This guy is the new Chris Webber...even if hes a "good" guy....bottom line is he cant play at a really high level anymore whether it be injuries, age or the system. It isnt working and theres not a damn thing the sixers can do about it.

It's early. Not saying you're definitely wrong, but it's too early to tell.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:01

Well is any player of Brands age 75 percent of the player he was 4 years ago? And was he really the player sixer fans perceive him to be. I think the expectations of what Brand was going to bring and what Brand actually is at 100% are vastly different. I think sixers fans expected things from Brand he never did.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 10:26

I certainly expect a different team to take the floor today, key word being expect. Last year, they seemed to have more verve on the road away from the home crowd (wait, what crowd?). My hope is they will have every-play intensity and not look like they are going through the motions unless it is crunch time, where they seem to somehow find some spark. I don't like the thought of Lou chasing Gordon all around off screens or cutting off Bynum's penetration. Seems like a game with more time for either Ivey or Willie G (Jrue, maybe?). I'm sure Kuester will play small with Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum in the game at the same time.

Ben Wallace is not decrepit. He's not like he was in 04 or 05 but from all reports he has still been effective for them. If Dalembert gets into foul trouble or doesn't keep his head in it, Big Ben can dominate the glass. And that's one of the keys to the game.

Wallace's numbers look pretty much the same as they did the past two seasons, except his blocks are way down. I stand by the decrepit statement.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 13:00

Of course they probably 'should' win this game handily, they should have won the Nets and Knicks games handily as well, and yet did not. Not how a team serious about making noise starts out.

This one is actually in HD on league pass, but it's the Pistons feed.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:08

I've still got my 'pirate' feed working for some reason - since I don't get any of the games in HD - i'm listening to the sixer feed in the background

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:08

Finally some Comcast feed instead of the proverbial League Pass 'We'll Be Right Back' with the waiting room music playing forever. Never thought I would want to see some commercials.

Here we go. These Pistons announcers are homers, huh?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:14

So u choose HD over Zum?

I like how the pass is showing both the home and away feeds this year when there aren't alot of games on.

Yeah, I think I have to.

AI9 on Gordon, Lou on Stuckey initially.

The Pistons switched it up on D. They Charlie V. guarding Brand and Jarebko on Thad. Not sure why.

Nice work on the offensive glass. Three o-boards there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:22

Tenacity on o-boards is nice this early. The starters look to have a l'il more spunk than fri. night.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 13:23

Andre Iguodala seems to have size advantage on both of the Pistons guards, back them down every time - force the double team - find the open guy - seems easy?

Sure does.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:26

Sam with the early hook. He's not in foul trouble is he...

He picked up one.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:30

Ok - so why isn't speights starting yet?

Great entry pass to him - takes the foul yet finishes (something sam can't do)

THEN finds Brand with a great entry pass (even if he travelled)

Sam is useless on offense, he thinks he can dribble and drive and post up and he can't

It's coming, I suspect. Jordan will choose offense over defense eventually.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:37

Sam's defense never really impresses me that much since I don't think he knwos what he's doing, but how much 'worse' is speights defensively these days compared to the offensive benefit

It depends who you're playing. If it's a team with a big who can work on the post, Sam is night and day better on pure defense. But the big difference is defensive rebounding.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:28

Ohhh...nice slip by Sp8's

That was a walk, but that's how Brand needs to finish on the inside. Clear space, elevate and throw it down. I'm so sick of him pump-faking ten times then leaning back.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:32

Don't forget the wonderful entry pass by Speights.

Was it Speights? I thought it was Thad, but could be wrong. Probably am wrong. Thad came out shooting, and missing, again.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:36

I thought it was Speights, I'm keeping an eye on him trying to figure out why he isn't starting yet...you could be right, you've got the game being recorded I bet

Yeah, I'll check it out later.

Willie is the first guard off the bench. No one found Gordon in transition.

Down by 4 after the first. 3 bench guys in there to close the quarter out. Speights came in early. I'm wondering if Jordan is shuffling the deck so we don't have to see the entire second squad in the second. 23-19.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:42

It was def Sp8's with the could-have-been assist to Brand on that walk. He threw it cross court thru the lane to EB on the opposite low block.

Someone buy Daye a cheesburger.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:44

WTF is wrong with Thad? that is 2 maybe 3 bunnies that he isn't converting.

5 subs now.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 13:45

Speaking of helping too much - Speights - quit it

27-23 when Jordan goes 'all bench'

Speights was fouled there. Bynum was probably fouled on the other end. Looking like another DNPCD for Jrue.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:48

getting a little tired of this nonsense Coach Jordan -

Kapono had enough room to shoot that three off the catch. Instead, 4 dribbles and a leaning one-hander from 18 feet. Come on.

Anyone want to grab a rebound?

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:51

Doesn't look like it does it?

Sigh

Ivey having a hard time containing Bynum.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:53

If only the sixers had a point guard on the bench who was real strong defensively...and quicker than Ivery

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:52

He need to put Sammy back in. NOW.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 13:54

Don't see it mattering that much - might helip a little, but no one on this team seems to know how to position for rebounds properly - and that includes Sam

Yep. Probably AI9 too, anyone to grab a defensive rebound.

Damnit. Put Sammy back in, this is embarrassing.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:59

he only played like 6 min so he isn't worn out or tired.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:00

Nope -just bad

A steal on the inbound play, 3 on 2 situation, Ivey takes an 18-foot jumper from the wing. That's what I call smart offense.

Correction: Ivey takes a 20-foot jumper from the wing.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 13:59

Well no one said you could expect offense or smart from Ivey - let alone combining the two together.

Good think Jrue sucks

Pistons +12 in second chance points now.

10 offensive boards for the Pistons, 8 defensive boards for Philly.

Iguodala's going to have to win this himself. Still no sign of Dalembert.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:05

So EB felt the wrath at the end of the game fri. now sam is feeling it today. you think Big Ben getting those 6 early boards had anything to do w/ Sam stayin on the bench so long?

NOw he's back in.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:07

I think sam sucking offensively and playing terribly offensively and Speights being that much better than Sam offensively had more to do with it, Sam had some jr high looking plays on the offensive end early in the game.

Not to mention, over all, Sam sucks

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:07

Thad - word to the wise....just stop forcing and pressing so damn much. The slump will wane itself, you can't make it go away. Just let it come, son.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:09

Put them on your back, Dala. Cause they want to ride someone.

Pitiful first half. Getting dominated on the defensive glass, Pistons are leading in fast break points. Sixers have attempted 3 free throws so far. Down 43-37 and in serious need of a wake up call in the locker room.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:10

If I were Iguodala I'd be tearing into the team at the half.

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:12

Good thing you aren't him

Court_visioN reply to JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 14:14

seriously.

TheAnswerAI on Nov 8 at 14:11

Young plays so bad I can't even find words for that. Not only on offense but his defense has to be the worst on the team right now. Even Kapono plays better defense than Thad. And on offense he makes one bad play after another. Hey kid, if you can't hit even when your open, just STOP TO SHOOT THAT DAMN BALL!!!

The rotations are a joke again.

I just hope JOrdan is gone by the end of the season.

JohnMagee reply to TheAnswerAI on Nov 8 at 14:14

I hope if you ever get a job you get more than 6% of your 'year' to decide if you're worth keeping.

i'm having a really tough time watching this team. patience is wearing thin.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 14:17

I'm not really sure why people are surprised...what is it they expected...they're a mediocre team...I'm not sure why people expected them to be more than mediocre?

I expected them to start the team out horribly. But I did not expect Brand and Thad to individually struggle so much (but Thad will likely improve.)

Also, can't fathom sending out Ivey and Green together, or playing Kapono at PF.

JohnMagee reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 14:25

Talk to me when Elton Brand plays 20+ games, is confident he won't aggravated his injury and is back into NBA game shape which you just can't get into in pre-season, not completely. I'm not worried about brand yet

Someone talk me off the bridge with Brand.

He IS worse than Kawame Brown, Ben Wallace and some guy named Jerebko?!? I can't name a scrub they have played against that has nnot outplayed EB on both ends of the court.

I'd be OK if he could rebound and block shots... but he can't. he needs to retire.

I realize I'm irrational about this, but I can't watch the guy, he's a shell.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:20

we probably expected some better rotations than what we've been seeing.

Its clear to anyone watching that Ivey/Green can't be on the floor together. Same thing with Speights/Smith. I mean is pretty simple, you don't need advanced stats or any great BB knowledge.

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:22

Substitution or offensive?

Either way, I gotta think that until Jordan gets 15 games minimum of REAL NBA under his belt with this team he won't know his rotations properly.

My only concern so far is the compelte lack of minutes for Jrue HOlliday - that bothers me a lot.

Yeah, I don't get the Jrue situation at all.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:36

Speights starting is a COACHING decision

So says the 'official' announcement

I agree, this is tough to watch right now. EB just looks bad out there. Indecisive, unathletic, you name it. Thad is completely lost, don't even recognize him on the offensive end.

Iguodala is seriously going to have to win this game on his own, he's got a mistmatch against whoever they guard him with, just go off and score like 40.

I expected some ugly hoops as they learned the offense, but they shouldn't be this bad on the glass or on defense. Someone needs to be flipping out in that locker room right now.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:27

defensive rotations bother me, but the big thing is the substitution pattern. Jordan can't throw in a pack of second teamers in the middle of the second and expect them to keep pace with the opponent. And seriously WHY is IVEY PLAYING??

No Carney, no Holiday in the first half. Speights/Smith just can't keep Ben wallace off the boards. This season has been a real headscratcher thus far from a rotation standpoint.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 14:27

Sam injury - here's your chance Speightsy

Injury? What did they say?

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:29

Something about jammed fingers I think...but they may have been speculating since you don't expect Sam NOT to start the second half

There we go folks, Speights starts the second half.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:28

Can't blame Jordan, they gave him much of nothing to work with. No matter the coach, anyone would struggle. Although I would like to see him mix and match the bench w/ the starters a l'il more like DiLeo did last year.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:30

Yes you can blame him, because his substitution patterns make absolutely no sense, and it's HIS job to teach the team the offense and they don't know it.

Mo got fired for a crap start last year...

Three more offensive rebounds in the first 2:30 of the third. Way to address the problem, coach.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:31

You guys should be upset with Jrue for his shortcomings rather than the staff. I did forewarn.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:32

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, a broken analog clock is even right twice a day.

You forewarned about short comings that no one who WATCHES the sixers play can say exist (not even year, oh great wizened psychic who is wrong more often than right) since he doesn't get minutes.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 14:31

need to keep the pistons off the glass this is getting ridiculous

OK, forget about how EB has looked. Did you just see what happened when they gave him the ball in a good spot? He backed his man down and drew a foul (should've been a three-point play). Where has that play been all year? Why don't they give him the ball somewhere where he's actually a threat?

Another offensive board and put-back. Sixers need to get 2 stops every time down the floor.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:33

Why isn't Iguodala backing down mismatches every damn time down the court until the Pistons adjust?

I guess that's on coaching?

Agree, he can abuse lesser/weaker defenders in the low block. But on the flip side has not been able to do much against a stronger low post defender. need to find the right spots for what he can do.

Mini-run there leading to a timeout. Down 3 midway through the third. I'm still disgusted. Iguodala needs to start coming back and working the d-glass, but he can't because he's sticking to Gordon on the perimeter. Ugh.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:37

If you don't stick to Gordon on the perimeter he's going to shred you

Sam's in there now. Quick recovery, or he was benched to start the third.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:38

They said it was a coaching decision, not an injury, though since the team waas running well to start the 3rd, with Speights, why change back?

Who the hell knows. Tie ball game now, at least trying to run. That was a good thought by Thad, just missed the dunk.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 14:40

I bet if you looked at it - something bad happeens EVERY time Sam Dalembert tries to dribble

Put speights back in

Ugh. Brand should've gone up with that instead of passing to Sammy.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:40

Who overthrew that outlet to Dala for a turnover...

Thad, it was a good thought.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:44

I missed it and no replay but for some reason that was my assumption...go figure...

Willie first guard off the bench again.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 14:43

I often think GM's should shut up about who plays and who doesn't, but I think stefanski needs to have a talk with Jordan about his rotations.

Tell me again why Carney was signed (I was non-plused by the signing but many told me he was good now)

Hey guys does anyone have a link to where I can watch this game online?

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:43

Good defense by Willie but no board for the stop.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 14:43

Has sam done anything positive in the third quarter? IS the defensive rebounding better?

SIT HIS ASS DOWN

1 defensive board in about 4 minutes. 1 foul, 1 turnover and 1 goaltend as well.

and another turnover. Didn't look like a travel to me.

Running offense through Sammy. Great way to stop a Detroit run.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:50

Please play Rodney and not Thad in the 4th quarter.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:57

What exactly has Carney done this year to earn any minutes.

You can't have it both ways. If Holliday isn't playing for a good reason, then neither is Carney...if carney is getting screwed, so is holliday

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 14:52

Willie is d'ing his tail off.

D hasn't been the problem, but he did a nice job on Gordon a couple times down the floor.

Down 5 heading into the fourth. It's pretty funny, actually. The Piston offense is pretty bad, but the Sixers can't secure a rebound to save their lives. Every time they get a rebound or two, they go on a run. I've seen enough of Willie for today. Kapono has gotten no burn, maybe 4 or 5 minutes. DNPCD Holiday, yet again.

Well with proven star PG's like WG and Ivey in front of Holiday how can you expect any minutes? ;)

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 14:58

I'm telling you, the blame here is on Jrue. Sadly.

Why? Cause you like some rookie on another team who is 3 years older (than Jrue, the youngest player in the NAB?)

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 15:04

Why? B/c do you think the 5 guys that make up the staff plus Stefanski haven't seen for themselves for the last 6+ weeks that he doesn't possess something they are looking for. It has nothing to do with my personal likes. I can see past that, unlike some others.

When your head coach goes public with the media and says clearly that he is looking for the first guard off the bench to step up and distinguish himself and for 2 straight games you (Jrue) earn no playing time? That is an indictment on the player when taking into account the competition.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:00

Stop it...you have no clue what the blame is on and your double standard approach to Holliday and Carney destroys all your credibility

Sadly, I think you're wrong.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:02

Odds are in your favor

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:07

Well if I'm wrong, then EJ, Lynam, O'Koren, McKie, Ayers and the GM is wrong. So be it, but I stand by my claim that it is on Jrue and only Jrue.

Kind of like I was wrong after the draft too right?

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:09

Oh just stop it already.

You don't know who thinks what on the sixers, you don't know if stefanski thinks jordan is being a tool or just keeping hands off as Jordan wastes Jrue's development.

All you know is how to interpret the situation to prove 'you're right' - and ignore all instances and evidence that indicate you are wrong.

You're like the FOX News of this blog

Talk about this game, or go to the fan club thread.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:14

So my appreciation for other player's games somehow interferes with my Sixers allegiances?

Bitter, I tell you, just bitter.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:15

Nope - bitter isn't the word I'd use, probably just tired of banging his head against the wall...

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:20

And for the record, you should be telling others that b/c I was and am talking about this game and a Sixers player named Jrue Holiday.

Again... one player is 22, the other 19. So you wanted the older guy because the Sixers are ready to contend right away? You can't compare a 19 year old and a 22 year old after 5 games in the NBA. Especially if you are a fan of one and have never seen the other play.

JohnMagee reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 15:13

Sure you can...you just can't expected to be taken seriously or considered rational

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 15:19

Well, buddy, it looks like you are the one comparing and started this comparison talk...This here guy was discussing a Sixers player. I'm watching a game and you are delving into a needless debate.

For the umpteenth time I saw the kid play approx. 20 college games.

Funny how just b/c I like other players, that is somehow held against me b/c I have an unbiased opinion on Jrue and his lack of court time this year. Really is funny. It's like some of you are Jrue's parents or something, sheesh.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:20

Are you really this self centered, irrational, narcissistic and paranoid in real life as well?

I love how you always turn it around and basically say (like a child) "You started it" - when all the evidence is against you.

It's like talking to an 8 year old, only more irrational

Actually, he's sort of right. I never should have brought up other players, esp HWWNBN. My bad.

So every rookie (particularly extremely young rookies) who doesn't get consistent time their rookie year means management and the coaching staff don't believe in their potential?

Does that mean the Sixers didn't think Thad Young was going to be an NBA player?

What about Jermaine O'Neal? Did he not have NBA potential?

Heck, Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady weren't in the regular rotation of the Lakers and Raptors the first part of their rookie year, I guess management never thought they'd contribute in future years.

And Anthony Randolph? Shoulda been cut. Was obvious he'd never contribute after January of last year.

I don't agree with this line of reasoning.

eddies' heady's reply to Derek Bodner on Nov 9 at 10:04

All those comparisons and hyperbole are irrelevant. The issue here is whether you agree or not with the reasoning of Jrue not getting on the court because (a)he hasn't shown enough, (b)he can't distinguish himself from Willie or Royal, or (c)the staff realizes he isn't ready and don't want to hinder his confidence by throwing him to the wolves. Or a myriad of other reasons that the staff, and staff only, is knowledgeable of.

You should re-read the thread. Not once did I mention that anyone doesn't 'believe in the kid's potential'; I'm merely giving reasons why Jrue hasn't gotten off the bench the last two games after his head coach (and staff) went public saying he was still looking for a 'first guard' off the bench. Why did I give those reasons? Because there are many that think Jordan is just toying with the kid and won't play him and the fault is all on Jordan. Anyone ever involved in basketball or coaching of it, simply know that is not the case. At what point do you put personal hopes and expectations aside and let reality set in? At what point does some level of fault lie with the player?

And you don't agree with that line of reasoning? So you agree that the fans know more about this kid's development (or lack of) than a staff and management that has evaluated him formally for 6+ weeks and informally for over two months? Come on....

I'm responding directly to the "Jrue is to blame", because it implies that he's done anything wrong or could be doing more to get on the court. I think it's quite common for someone as young as he is to not get court time, regardless of how hard he's working or how developed he is for his age. He just doesn't have experience, and it makes sense to put him in places where he succeeds. in essence, I do agree with the (c) portions of your reasoning, but to me that doesn't jive with the "jrue is to blame" statement that caused my response.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:00

Well......I want to see more of Willie, considering.

JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 15:00

Speights is good

Sam is not

How hard is that equation?

Speights is playing well, has been all year. He's really impressed me. Couple big plays keying this comeback.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:05

I think Speights has done enough to earn a start against the running suns.

If not, Jordan loses a little more confidence from me.

I want 10+ points from AI9 in the fourth.

Bynum is better than Stuckey, by the way.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:11

Here's hoping Kuester figures it out and my 'waiver pickup' pays off :)

This offense is putrid.

Keep gunning from three. That's awesome. Mismatches galore, keep shooting threes.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:15

Thad just has trouble staying with his man for some reason. Either he watches the ball too much or he just doesn't have defensive fundamentals to stay with perimeter guys.

Thing is he's not playing the pick and roll well either so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with him.

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:16

The sixers haven't played the pick and roll well for about 6 years now

F me. This is just disgusting.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 8 at 15:20

But unsurprising I would think

0/2 from the line for Iguodala. Just sickening.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:23

Kapono needs to come in at the next offensive possession. Period.

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:24

I guess he can make it closer, but this game is over

Not sure why you let 10 seconds tick off if you're just going to foul intentionally anyway.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:25

it ain't over til it's over. Detroit hasn't been having a great FT shooting night either.

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:26

Thank you for the platitudes, but watching this entire game there's no reason to believe the sixers have a shot to win this unless the Pistons are stupid

Wonder if Iguodala can miss all three of these.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:27

just one.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:28

well THAT's not the guy you want at the line...

At least they let the Pistons burn about 5 seconds and get the ball to their best FT shooter before they gave the foul.

Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:29

so wait, i missed it, what was the injury to speights?

JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 8 at 15:30

No injury to speights I know of and no injury to Dalembert

He banged knees, that's why they took those back-to-back timeouts.

7-point loss. I need to take a break, I'll have the rotations and my wrap later tonight. Go Eagles.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:32

Speight's was injured when he bumped knees or his upper thigh on a guy setting a screen.

Makes me sick. Early days yet, but it looks like a poor season (or two) ahead based on the characteristics. Indeed, the coach can't spell defense and his rotations are shocking.

You were right about Wallace. He dominated.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:35

I'd say a break is needed to, with the wrongful and needless attacking of a Sixer diehard. But that's cool if some prefer it that way. Different strokes for different for different folks. Thought the mantra was to stick to basketball discussion?

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 15:36

Yup - it's all about you.

Sorry, should never have brought up old arguments.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 8 at 16:24

Accepted. But seriously, don't hold the staff (or me) under the gun b/c the kid doesn't get off the bench. Some accountability has to fall on the player. You can't possibly assume that the staff is trying to win games (regardless of the rotations) and not putting the guys out there that they feel gives them the best chance to win.

And I'm not piling on Jrue here (I've stated that I want to see him succeed, after all he plays for my favorite team) but after those public quotes the other day and he can't even show more than Willie G or Ivey? It has to be on him. It's not like he was playing his ass off in practices and the coaches just want to be pricks and not play the kid. Let's be realistic here.

Also be realistic. You are talking the youngest player in the league and his 1st week in the NBA. Also a new staff trying to install a new offense and defense.

Not really a situation we'd expect the kid to get minutes. Once the season progresses I'll be disappointed if he is not part of the rotation- but for now I don't think it reflects badly on player or coach. Make judgments later this year if he's not playing and 2-3 years from now if he's not developing.

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 9 at 11:06

I'm not passing judgment. I'm just laying out reasons for the kid not seeing the court besides the worn out 'why won't Jordan play the kid'. His rotations may be funky but this one isn't on the head coach.

And I'd beg to differ that it's 'not really a situation we'd expect the kid to get minutes'. Expectations (dashed to this point) sure seem high around here. But, how can you not 'expect' the kid to get minutes when EJ made those bold statements to the press the other day and his only competition is Willie G and Ivey. Not exactly a murderer's row.

Watching him play this summer he looked like a solid defender, but not ready to play sig NBA minutes yet. I really have zero expectations for him this year... but am hopeful he can overachieve for a #17 pick down the line similar the Thad and Speights.

People should not have expected a 19 year old with no college PG experience to step in and be a quality NBA PG his first year. But on the flip side, the P.O. should allow him to get some minutes eventually since he won't have to be a true PG.

eddies' heady's on Nov 8 at 16:35

The key to the game from the writeup ended up coming to fruition too. Gave up boards galore.

Can we get an Iverson anti-fan club thread to talk about the insanity of his downwardly spiraling career?

JohnMagee reply to Tray on Nov 8 at 18:46

It's pretty obvious that his career is over, isn't it?

Tray reply to JohnMagee on Nov 8 at 19:18

The insanity of his career-ending choices, then?

JohnMagee reply to Tray on Nov 8 at 19:25

I mean aside from signing with Memphis, he had no real choices until this off season.

Reportedly Memphis GM or coach never discussed with him whether he'd accept being a bench player before signing him, which if true, is laughable.

And they're trying to spin this leave of absence as NOT having to do with being a bench player.

It's up now.