PF/C Combos

JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 15:33

Dork, everyone knows that stats are useless...WATCH THE GAMES

:D

Wait, does that mean being 27th out of 30 teams in defensive efficiency doesn't matter? Phew. I thought that was bad.

By the way, the Knicks are 21st in defensive efficiency. The. New. York. Knicks. Are more efficient defensively than we are. Awesome.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 11 at 15:46

Come on - statistics don't tell you much - besides are you taking into account if they have the sniffles or if they are sad or happy?

Or if they are clutch :)

JohnMagee reply to tk76 on Nov 11 at 16:26

Now now - my argument isn't that clutch doesn't exist just that it has a small focus (plus folk at ESPN actually ran it on quarterbacks and found that only one QB named Manning, not Peyton, does 'extra special well' in 'clutch' situations compared to regular situatinos) In basketball clutch is even more hard to define cause refs call the super star foul more often - that's not a function of the player but of the ref

JohnMagee reply to tk76 on Nov 11 at 16:31

Real and Speightacular reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 17:06

Ha ha! That's funny because just about everyone who comes to this site thinks stats are useless! Brilliant!

You know - if you were significant, I'd care what you had to say

Only the line-ups with 50+ minutes are a reasonable sample size. But some of those short, "crack-head" line-ups like Speights/Kapono make me wonder about Jordan's mental status. That particular line-up got 0 defensive rebounds in 7 possessions (but man could they score.)

I think Speights/Brand will happen, and is fine. Hopefully Brand will return to form as a defender to help obviate some of out concerns about Speights. Personally, I'd go with Speights/Sam and Smith/Brand, but I doubt the team goes in that direction unless they made Smith a token starter.

I have to be honest with you, I never want to see a starting front court of Speights and Thad. I couldn't handle the atrocity of that group's defensive rebounding numbers.

Speights and Thad have been pretty damned dismal in their time together so far this season.

You beat me to the punch. Not enough to be wise... you have to wise and fast.

As much as I want to agree with someone named "Bethlehem Shoals", the whole notion of a future starting frontcourt of Speights at C and Thad at PF is ridiculous.

JohnMagee reply to tk76 on Nov 11 at 17:21

I think people are just seeing how weak Thad is at the 3 this year and how 'strong' he looked at the 4 last year and looking for a fix...much like Iguodala last year, but he's much younger and less experienced, Thad has to adjust from the 4 to the 3 and much like last year time has to be given I think

Sean reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 17:32

Agreed. If I wasn't willing to join the lynch mob calling for Dala's head last year, I won't do it for Thad this year, especially since Thad is younger, and played VERY WELL offensively last season at the 3-spot, especially in November.

Tray reply to tk76 on Nov 11 at 19:01

Yeah. He's a good writer though, I enjoy his stuff.

JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 16:31

If it means anything Thorpe thinks Speights should have been starting a while ago

He also loves him some HOlliday

Real and Speightacular reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 17:03

Unfortunately it doesn't. Thorpe's a mess. Severely downplayed Speezy for most of the season in his rookie rankings and left him off a lengthy rookies to watch out list he made up near end of the season. Now he's some big Mo Speezy champion? Puh and leeze. Give it another five minutes and he'll display his ignorance for all to mock.

Sean reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 17:38

Coming into this year, I'd hoped that the team would eventually display a starting team of Lou, Dre, Thad, Brand & Speights, with a bench team of Smith, Kapono, Sam, Jrue & Carney as a variable. I'd figure that rotation has enough balance of offense and defense amongst the starters and bench to succeed, especially if the coach pulls a Phil Jackson and keeps 2 of either Dre, Speights or Thad on the floor at all times.