Sixers Nets Game Thread Part 2

Hope that fixed it.

JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:23

So is this the coaching method.

Play the rookie, but if he makes a mistake he doesn't get to play again in the game?

So the message is, if you aren't perfect you don't play...I'm pretty sure that's not good for his psyche?

Plus, you know, why not apply that crap to Sam and Willie too?

Rich reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:25

Exactly. You can't argue that Ivey brings anything more to the table than Jrue.

JohnMagee reply to Rich on Nov 11 at 21:26

I thought the fireeddiejordan.com site would only go up if Jrue got a DNP-CD but if he sits the rest of the game because of that one bad possesion - I believe I'm going to start working on it anyway because I think nothing is more damaging to the learning psyche than saying 'if you make a mistake you're done'

Rich reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:28

Rodney Carney just played about as bad of a defensive possession as I have seen. Kapono over-rotates every play. The other guys aren't playing flawless ball too.

Real and Speightacular reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:47

Wow, Marreese didn't get that consideration last year. Last year the yank was considered an opportunity to learn ;-) Anyway, are we presuming we know exactly how many mistakes were made? Was he always in the right place when he was supposed to be? Could be Jordan was giving him more string than we know.

Speights was never jerked around like this. Never. Fucking joke.

OK, maybe once.

Speights is an offensive savant... Pleasure to watch.

JohnMagee reply to Rich on Nov 11 at 21:33

I'm a little concerned that in the first half he had 8 points and no defensive rebounds

He now has 2 (5 total)

Rich reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:35

He's limited in other areas certainly. He still plays his butt off though. He came down with that one with two guys all over him. To reach his potential, he's gonna have to be paired with a good rebounder.

JohnMagee reply to Rich on Nov 11 at 21:38

He's going to have to learn to work on defense, or he's not going to start

The effort was there on defense tonight. As long as the effort is there, I'm fine with it. Drew 2 charges as well.

Ivey and Carney give up buckets on consecutive possessions. Brutal.

Willie and Carney both in the game? That's crazy. I could see just Carney, but both of them?

JohnMagee reply to Rich on Nov 11 at 21:40

Every time willie makes a 3 i die a little inside cause that continues the lie

Rich reply to JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:41

Yeah, that's true. Gotta give him credit though. Huge shots when we are running no offense whatsoever.

Those were both bad shots. I guess if you take 10 threes, one has to go in. The second shot, though, 22-footer off the dribble. That's just putrid offense.

Willie shuts me up with a HUGE three.

The offense looks terrible. For the last few minutes, we have freelanced and not run much at all.

JohnMagee on Nov 11 at 21:46

If they lose - they should all be sent to the NBDL

Court_visioN on Nov 11 at 21:50

well it wasn't a bad play coming out of the timeout... thad just missed the easy one. good putback by speights. and1

Court_visioN on Nov 11 at 21:52

iguodala out of control

Sammy huge there with the block. Only 1/2 from the line. Guard the three!

Court_visioN on Nov 11 at 21:56

kapono better not be on the court after this timeout.

Make 2 here Thad.

Rich reply to Rich on Nov 11 at 21:58

Of course not. He freakin misses short on the 2nd. Unbelievable. I'm sick of this shit at the end of games.

Court_visioN on Nov 11 at 21:59

anybody read EJ's lips there in the huddle what was he saying?

"I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Thank God we're playing the Nets."

Something like that.

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 11 at 22:24

was hoping to gain some insight on what EJ says before a big defensive play but i guess "i don't have a clue" sums that up nicely anyway.

I was shocked he went offense/defense down the stretch. Although he left Green out there. Nets should've just had Alston drive. Would've been a free deuce.

Wow. You talk about handing to game to us...

This team is so bad at finishing games. They are lucky they won this one. Abandoned their offense and looked lost in the last couple minutes and then missed free throws.

OK, same exact feeling, lucky as hell to be playing the Nets. I thought our offense got worse and worse as the game went. The middle part of the 4th was not offense at all, we don't even have to worry about the 'Princeton' part. Thad was very good, though he did wear down at the end. Speights was very good, and its scary because I thought he could have played better offensively. He did have 9 rebs. (only 3 defensively). Finally, as much as I hate it, Willie made two clutch shots when we had nothing going offensively. Good job by him at the end.

Defensively, I tried to pay attention to the pick and rolls all night and I gotta say, this is a killer. Teams should run one every time down the floor against us. The first part of the problem is the inconsistency on what they do with the primary two defenders. Sometimes Lou goes under and sometimes he goes over. More often than not, he gets held up on the screens which Brian pointed out. Sometimes the hedge guy just stays back and does nothing, and other times he almost hedges to agressively. Instead of showing and recovering he rides the handler as far as he can. This leads to the major problem, OUR ROTATIONS STINK. There is no rhyme or reason to them and they look like they have no continuity. If a the hedge man is going to be that agressive, the other three guys have to no what they're doing. I don't know if they have a clue.
OK, on the positive end, Sammy was great down the stretch on Lopez. If there is any type of inside threat, Sammy has to be on the floor down the stretch.

This is a common theme in so many games over the past couple years. That may be the only time Sammy mans up, but he's a beast in those situations. Ask Tim Duncan if you don't believe me.

I must say, I think Sammy won this game for us. And I cannot believe I am saying this statement. But, that block w/out fouling was amazing.

He might have fouled :)

But he won the last game against the Nets too. Same exact situation, Jordan brings him back in late in the fourth, he saves Jordan's bacon.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 9:45

On Lopez? He did foul. That block was 'all hand' and I"m surprised a guy with Sam's reputation got away with it.

Rich reply to DeanH on Nov 11 at 22:30

Yeah he may have fouled there, but the game was so physical at that point I guess the refs would have needed more body contact for a call there. Thank God for that though, and Sammy has been sort of like the closer at the end of games. That was turning into a rugby match BTW. Sammy and Speights were getting mugged on the O glass.

I agree 100%. Definitely we are not a good team. While it is said, a win is a win, this is getting old very quickly.

I am not willing yet to give up on Brand, however. I still believe he needs atleast 20 games. If this poor shooting continues, we got problems. Big ones. But, based upon what I have heard about Elton, I think he will rebound within the next month.

While it is still early, the sixers play down to a team but on other hand, they also play up to a team. Coach Jordan lost the Sun's game. Very poor rotations continue.

As long as we're having a rebounding problem or need to close out a game or try to limit the damage by a big offensive threat we need Sam in the game. He's our best hope when it comes to making stops.

If I need to make one stop, as a coach, Sam, Iggy and Jrue would be the first 3 guys I pick. Maybe Carney, and one other guy. Problem is all our bench bigs can't D or rebound.

Can't believe Jordan went the half of the 4th qtr with Speights/Thad at C/PF. Can we really give him credit for putting in Sam after he created the rebounding and defensive hole in the first place that coughed up the lead?

I'm out on the ledge right now. Hoping I'll be able to find something positive in the morning.