To Dunk, Or Not To Dunk

Court_visioN on Nov 12 at 15:22
JohnMagee reply to Court_visioN on Nov 12 at 16:34

Another retread who is over rated possibly?

Sure why not

They're all either retreads or unproven. Just cross your fingers that Utah keeps tanking, Sloan gets canned, takes 2 years off, then wants back in right when our roster matures and Jordan hits the bricks.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 17:04

I think UTAH is like Bowden at FSU - they understand the vagaries, Sloan will only leave that job when he wants to

Tray reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 17:14

Yeah, what John said. I mean, you're kidding, right? They'd never can Sloan. He's had some off years before. Last year for example.

48-34 isn't really a firing offense. Just checked his coaching record, 25 seasons, 3 times he was under .500. Utah lucks into Deron Williams the one year they're in the lottery.

Yeah, they wouldn't fire him, he may get fed up and retire, though. He seemed like he was at the end of his rope after the playoffs last year, and they're playing horrible ball right now.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 18:00

Well they have a messed up roster with too many PF's, this year (and off season) are key to utah's vuture (don't they have another lovley pick from the knicks? )

Don't forget, sloans 'hand shake' year to year thing was with the 'original' owner who died last year, I could see the kids being stupid and trying to make 'a stamp' much like the steinbrenner idiots

Yeah, that worked out horribly.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 19:44

The first year or so hal and hank looked like morons opening their big fath mouths saying stupid things, whining about pitchers having to hit in interleague games, they quickly shut up and let cashman do the work and signed the checks...

Actually, Hal's been pretty quiet from the get-go. Hank was the one making all the noise. He was also the one that never had any power.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 20:26

I knew one of them had a big mouth in the beggiing making all kinds of silly noise and then magically shut up - but they seemed like they were trying to make an 'impact' with all the noise and it's POSSIBLE the miller sons do that but from what I've read they're very cognizant of how their dad ran the organization (and very mormon) - so I don't think they'd do any boat rocking...

Except wearing magic underwear, I suppose.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 19:46

fwiw, if we had sloan this year, do you think he'd be

a) more forgiving
b) less forgiving

on a rook making mistakes? Hm?

Even so-called kinder, gentler sloan's been real tough on Koufos and Fess and Maynor's not seeing the floor too much even tho he only has ronnie price ahead of him.

Well, technically Maynor has one of the best PGs in the game in front of him, and Sloan has still found a way to get Maynor in 6 games, to 4 for Jrue.

The Koufos is behind Okur, Boozer, Millsap and Kirilenko. So I'm not sure where he's supposed to get minutes.

Beyond all of that, Sloan has a 25-year career of basically nothing but success. Jordan came to Philly with a career record 58 games below .500 and a reputation as a guy who doesn't give a crap about defense. So I'd say Sloan would probably get a little more rope from any sane individual.

Real and Speightacular reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 20:49

No, Maynor's actually playing behind Ronnie Price. Koufos and Fess had "opportunities" when booze and okur were injured last season (which was often enough).

Anyway, I wasn't talking about whether Jordan should get more rope than Sloan. That'd be pretty idiotic, which is why I didn't bring that up, if you'll notice. But if we're staying on my point and talking re rookie treatment and yanking (and pinning) for mistakes, Sloan takes a back seat to no one.

'twas the #1 play on Sports Center this morning.

It's all part of the AI9 to the All Star game masterplan. :)

Real and Speightacular on Nov 12 at 15:42

How do we push for Mo Speezy to get in the slam dunk contest this year?

Hmmn. I think Sprite had some kind of vote for it last year or the year before. That would be sweet, three Sixers at AS weekend. Actually, Speights will probably be there anyway for the rooks vs. sophs game.

gm 1 of the 2001 finals was just on nbatv. it made me really sad.

Was after that game the best feeling you've ever had as a Sixers fan? I was 7 when they won the championship in 83, and really can't remember any of it (we lived in northern NJ and didn't get any games on TV). I think that game 1 was the high point for me.

Alvin reply to Brian on Nov 12 at 23:11

Most definitely. Best moment as a Sixers supporter.

mike reply to Brian on Nov 13 at 12:59

without a doubt, and right now it feels like i will never experience that feeling again. AI stepover Lue is my favorite sports play of all-time. the play after that was snow's runner in the lane to ice it.