Nothing But Questions

can you get that shirt in the same place where the:

"i can't take care of the ball and i don't care" and "keep the 3 pointers open"
sweaters are available

Stefanski's job performance is hanging on two major decisions: signing Brand and hiring Jordan. That those two entities appear unable to coexist does not bode well for the GM. He has to get involved, do something--right? Otherwise, he will be gone before we manage to rid ourselves of either of the other two. They simply CAN'T get rid of Jordan, eat his contract. Stefanski might as well fire himself. Not sure what alternatives that leaves him, though--don't see anybody taking Brand without getting one of the teams few's valuable assets as well...

we should have hired tom thibideaux. with defensive intensity we would have won these games

I was hoping as well that Thibideaux would have been hired! Great defesive mind plus it his hire would have impacted Boston as well!

Coatesvillain on Nov 14 at 9:31

No answers just stress.

Another question: What does Royal Ivey give you that Jrue Holiday can't give you today?

I hope Willie Green doesn't become a "Philly personality" after his career is over. I can't take seeing him any longer than I have to.

of course elton brand is available. but he's about as untradeable as iverson right now.

Get Jrue Holiday more playing time. He'll get the bigs the ball and his defense is excellent. Jordan, I don't know why you keep saying this kid needs 'protecting from the veterans'. Just tell the truth: You've got the big salaried players who are demanding court time but don't deserve it the way they are playing. Get a kid in there that is hungry to play, equally hungry to win, and will make the stars on this team shine. Jordan, take heed. Jrue is the future, not Ivey or anyone else. Give him a chance - he will show you what team effort looks like.

eddies' heady's on Nov 14 at 11:09

I'll try my hand at answers (are there even any??):

1) Don't do the Twitter thing, but doesn't this just show the lack of commitment from our players.

2) Could be possible. But they sure were singing his praises in the offseason and preseason. Jordan subtly said in the press the other day something about motivation, meaning he can only go so far here. They are grown men you know.

3) Don't know about personally, but it was disappointing to see him get pulled in the 3rd last night since it seemed his heart was the only one beating at that time.

4) They are playing exponentially worse than the stretch last year.

5) Same here as above. They are playing way worse than last year's start.

6) Simple answer would be b/c you added Lou. But not sure about damning evidence against the head coach but it is damning against Stefanski for handing the reins to Lou and signing a guy coming off major injury.

7) Can't even begin to explain this one. But I'm sure it doesn't relate to the offense running more efficiently.

8) I'd say 25% because the other 3/4 of futility is from the lackluster effort from the rest of the crew. They are all accountable here.

9) When it comes to this team my rope is infinite (don't fault me, I did have to sit through the 90's you know). I will always watch and I will always care. Never like to 'root' for losses to mount but can't say I would be disgruntled with a high lottery pick. I would like the end of my rope to show itself when it comes to ownership and management though.

10) Hard lessons learned? Even I can't muster an explanation for this one.

11) I think Stefanski is round-the-clock involved and has been since he got here. This is his hand-picked coach and former employee, remember. He said in the offseason he wanted a vet backup PG and went out and re-signed Ivey (to my dismay). Willie was an inherited problem. Now Jrue - well he is the one that drafted him and you know he evaluates him at practice and in the games too.

12) Yeah it would shock me if he was traded b/c who would be crazy enough to touch that contract especially with the league trending to more versatile 'four-men' for some years now. No, I wouldn't care b/c something has to be blown up, so why not start here? Rumors are what they are - rumors.

13) Thinking back, it did feel this bad b/c the excitement over the Brand unveiling was ten-fold. But it really wasn't this bad in context b/c we had a leader at the point in Miller.

14) I will repeat myself one more time - I'm damn-skippy patiently waiting.

15) Who knows? Probably thinking of what he was going to Tweet after the game like the rest of them.

Man.....that was tough....

JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 11:12

Jordan makes it real difficult to defend him (2:02 in a blowout game, how could his pysche have been damaged) but poor rebounding poor perimeter defense poor FT shooting, these aren't new problems.

At some point cox cable will remember i'm not paying for league pass and i'll be happy...but for now I'm just going to focus on other things relating to the sixers which is what I try to do when they stink, even though JOrdan makes it more difficult

Rob_STC reply to JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 11:25

For me personally since I have gone to just about every game for the last 8 years I make the investment because we have optimism in the off season. I think last year we were waiting for the team chemistry to kick in and I really expected at the beginnning of the year that they would win over 50 games. This looks bad because you expect improvement year of year instead of being stuck in the mud. It should be a natural progression. If you look at Orlando, 36 wins, 40 wins,52 wins ,59 wins and go to the finals. Sixers 38 wins, 35 wins,40 wins 41 wins. What's wrong with the picture here ? Is it that you simply have to be bad enough or luck enough to get a #1 pick ?

I can tell you the fans that were in that arena felt cheated. I don't think anybody doesn't care or they wouldn't be reading this blog. I think if I get to the point where I don't renew season tickets that will be it. I got to say right now I am very close to that.

JohnMagee reply to Rob_STC on Nov 14 at 12:03

I don't think anyone doesn't care, I'm just not surprised by this team, I didn't expect vast improvement for a variety of reasons, but I must say, 9 games in I'm very disappointed in almost everything Eddie Jordan does or says

JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 11:17

As for where Speights went, well the Jazz have some 'real' big men...quality guys, maybe this was just a 'indicator' game of how far he has left to go?

I think it's possible that the Sixers are just not that good of a team. Perhaps the east had been weak or maybe Andre Miller was more important than realized, but I wonder if they overachieved the last few years just to get to .500 and are not good enough to take the next step as we hoped. I think that it is still early and I'm not ready to throw in the towel but will agree that it doesn't look good, especially the Elton Brand situation. Whether or not he has lost a step, Jordan can't continue to keep him out of the 4th quarter like this in favor of Speights and Jason Smith. I'll continue to support the team but it is sad to see such a lackluster crowd and a lackluster team - someday in 20 years when the Sixers are winning championships we can say that we were fans during the dark ages (the 2009 season).

9. I really thought this was the season where my efforts in defending this team would pay off. Got all the players back, drafted a good rookie, got a new coach...but i'm probably even more depressed than i was before. I'm nearing the end of my rope....to the point i EXPECT the sixers to have lost everytime i hop on NBA.com to see the scores...i almost don't want to go to the site...

inconsistency..bad coaching... i don't know what can happen to make this team turn around...

is this team that much worse than when we didn't have thad...speights... brand... and still made the playoffs (with iverson) ???

Brian, I definitely feel your pain. After a while, the game became unwatchable to the point that I started fast forwarding through the Utah possessions because it became monotonous to see the Jazz get open jumpers or layups. Regardless of any improvements in Lou on the offensive end (and those seem to be less and less evident each game), his inability to keep his man in front of him (esp. after picks) is killing the Sixers' defensive execution and -- worse -- effort. Help and rotation is necessary for all teams to defend in the NBA, but maximum effort (as well as talent) is required to make it work ... and if one guy is getting beaten all the time, it's harder to stay motivated.

The problem is that this isn't going to turn around until Jordan commits to establishing a defensive identity with this team, and that doesn't seem possible because his emphasis is on offense. It was funny that Pinckney commented after one horrible defensive play that Jordan was furious, but Jordan just sat there looking upset. How about yanking someone for blowing a defensive assignment? It's never going to happen, but how bad would it be to just start Holiday instead of Lou, solidify the defense, and suffer a little on offense?

Speaking of offense, it's still too early to say for sure, but I'm getting the impression that the PO is not going to be a good match for the personnel the Sixers have. I wonder whether they would do just as well if not better with a simplified pick-and-roll-based offense (like 75% of NBA teams have already), so they can take advantage of dribble penetration.

So by my count that's 3 games that have become unwatchable (out of 9). Last year, they started 2-5, but only one was a blowout (to Miami), though they did lose badly (by 13) to the Jazz at home then too. For comparison's sake, honestly, it's starting to feel a little like the Doug Moe season (92-93).

"A rumor broke today that Elton Brand is available. Would it shock you if he was traded before the end of the season? Would you care?"

Who in the world would want him? They'd have to give us an even worse contract.

Off the top of my head, Stephen Jackson is the only one that comes to mind.

Tray reply to Brian on Nov 14 at 15:30

Yeah, I don't think GS is in that great a hurry to dump Jackson. And it would be mad to bring in a guy to play ahead of Randolph.

JohnMagee reply to Tray on Nov 14 at 16:02

Have you paid much attention to GSW? They're desperate to get rid of Jackson and Don Nelson plays a different rotation every day and screws randolph constantly

Tray reply to JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 16:54

Just not that desperate, I don't think. Jackson can still play. He has more value than someone who appears totally sapped.

JohnMagee reply to Tray on Nov 14 at 17:01

His agent is calling out the coach, the locker room is a mess and the players themselves admit to reporters they will feel a lot better when Jackson is gone.

I think the Warriors would trade him for even a half decent offer and just can't get it

Ryan F reply to Tray on Nov 14 at 16:13

I don't think it would be extremely hard to move EB, not like SD. GSW, Detroit, and the Bulls all come to mind. I don't think EB is as close to being "done" as we're making him look. He's not the same but he is still valuable. I know Detroit wouldn't mind moving RIP, his contract isn't exactly great either. We'd have to take back some other scrubs or some head case, but it could be done if we threw in someone else (Lou, Thad).

JohnMagee reply to Ryan F on Nov 14 at 16:17

Elton Brand is still sitting at the nadir of his trade value with how many years left on his deal and the '2010' bonanza coming?

Chicago - why trade for brand when in six months you can probably get bosh younger and not that much money.

If you trade Elton Brand now - look at other teams with disappointing long term deals don't even glance at teams that might have money to go after bosh and or amare

eddies' heady's on Nov 14 at 13:27

There may be much disdain for our coach but you have to appreciate and agree with this quote:

"You hope that you learn and you get tired of being pushed around," Jordan said. "If you really have a passion for the game and passion for winning and competing, then you won't get pushed around, you'll learn your lesson. I guess it's still early in the season, or I don't know. I'm from a different neighborhood; I just don't get pushed around. And if I did, I'm responding back. So, hopefully, our guys will respond to that sooner or later."

That is similar to what I said at the end of the game thread last night. Where's the competitive nature and passion and will-to-win? I come from the same hood as EJ on this one. There is more fire and response in current pick-up games I play in now.

Now. that. is. bad.

JohnMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 14 at 13:45

Yes, Eddie Jordan can spew platitudes, and because they agree with what you had to say you lend credence to them, it's nothing new or original in there and it doesn't excuse his poor planning in game management and rotational decisions.

eddies' heady's reply to JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 17:37

Did I hear 'spew platitudes'? You had to be talking to yourself on that one.

I lend credence to what I saw and was on display last night in that game. It has not a thing to do with what I say.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 14 at 18:38

Btw, I thought you were in apology mode because you don't take anything I say seriously (it's there, check the thread).

Yet, you continue to place value upon my opinions with your endless responses. It's OK.... nothing wrong with knowing a smart man when you see one.

1. Is anyone else tempted to respond harshly to players on Twitter after games like this?

I definitely wouldn't start twittering. But yes, it definitely seems like some players are not taking pride in their game.

2. Is it possible Eddie Jordan has completely lost this team after only 9 games?

Absolutely. They have it in them. Some of these players were probably undermining Dileo at the end of the year last season.

4. Is this team playing worse than the 2008-2009 Sixers played down the stretch, after Thad was injured?

5. Is this team playing worse than the 2008-2009 Sixers played to start the season?

Yes, no question. They showed heart and better defensive effort.

6. How does subtracting Andre Miller and adding Elton Brand equal going from a middle-of-the-pack (at worst) defensive team, to one of the worst? If that isn't the most damning evidence against Eddie Jordan, I don't know what is?

It shouldn't. The sixers have the personnel to compete defensively. They are obviously not stressing it enough. Especially given all the young players on the roster.

7. Is Jordan relying on Willie Green and Royal Ivey because he honestly believes their veteran presence is somehow making the offense run more efficiently?

Probably. I know two things will happen every game this season. Putrid defensive effort and willie green entering the game in the late first half, early second. I think Jordan respects green more than brand.

8. How much is Lou's putrid effort at stopping penetration contributing to the overall defensive futility? 50% of the problem? 75% of the problem? More?

At least 50% and at times 75% depending upon the matchup.

9. How close are you to the end of your rope? What happens when you get there, do you (a) stop watching, (b) stop caring, (c) start rooting for a high lottery pick, (d) all of the above?

I won't stop caring, however I don't really see an immediate solution to any of these problems so I am in wait and see mode. Bad contracts have plagued this team for 8 years now since the finals run. It's unacceptable but it should not prohibit them from trying to compete. The Celtics, Lakers, Suns, Mavs etc...have all fielded competitive teams for years in spite of cap woes so it's not an excuse.

I don't ever remember sixers attendance being this bad. If this continues for a full season I would expect someones head to roll because Ed Snider doesn't usually tolerate this stuff for long.

10. What purpose did it serve to keep Jrue on the bench even after the game was out of hand in the fourth quarter tonight?

Bad handling of rookies is Jordan's MO. Not surprised.

11. We know Ed Stefanski forced Mo Cheeks' hand two years ago with the Korver trade. Last year, he brought his guy in to run the team the way he thought they should be run (and by that, I mean make the team run). Do you think he'll involve himself in some way this year? Possibly hand down an edict that Jrue is a part of this team's future, Willie and Ivey are not, so you better start playing him?

If this continues, something will give. Ed will become involved (either through meetings with the coaching staff or trades).

12. A rumor broke today that Elton Brand is available. Would it shock you if he was traded before the end of the season? Would you care? What are the odds these rumors stemmed from the coach saying Brand is either (a) done or (b) doesn't work in the PO?

It would not shock me in the least. I actually don't want to see us sell low on him just yet. I still think Brand could be good in the right system. And we would have to take an unbelievably bad contract back. No thanks.

13. This time last year, the Sixers were 4-5. Why didn't it feel this bad back then?

Because we had a real point guard. Better defensive accountability and excitement was still generally high because of the Brand addition.

14. Any chance someone on this team shows a backbone tomorrow night and plays with passion?

I think they are going to get blown out. Lou is going to great humiliated on defense by derrick rose tonight. drive and kicks for three all night long.

15. Where the hell was Speights tonight?

Part of Jordans master plan to give every sixers stakeholder a massive coronary before the year is over.

# Is anyone else tempted to respond harshly to players on Twitter after games like this?
Lou Williams just tweeted something about eating Oreos and relaxing. I want to tell him to watch some fucking game film and figure out how to stay between his man and the basket.

Definitely. This guys need some feedback in the worst way.

# Is it possible Eddie Jordan has completely lost this team after only 9 games?
# Eddie Jordan said he goes with guys who produce. Is that just a cover for something he has against Elton Brand personally?
Tonight, in the third quarter Brand showed probably the most signs of life we've seen from him all season. On one play he got the ball at the elbow, drove right through Carlos Boozer, threw it down with two hands, drew the foul and converted the three-point play. He was the only guy to put a body on anyone in the post all night. In the third (before being pulled for good) he was 3/4 from the floor for 7 of the team's 19 points. What exactly does Jordan want to see from Brand before he actually plays him beyond the first rotation in the third quarter?

For Brand to start hitting 3s and passing like Webber. Honestly, Jordan has been an epic letdown

# Is this team playing worse than the 2008-2009 Sixers played down the stretch, after Thad was injured?

# Is this team playing worse than the 2008-2009 Sixers played to start the season?

# How does subtracting Andre Miller and adding Elton Brand equal going from a middle-of-the-pack (at worst) defensive team, to one of the worst? If that isn't the most damning evidence against Eddie Jordan, I don't know what is?

Agreed.

# Is Jordan relying on Willie Green and Royal Ivey because he honestly believes their veteran presence is somehow making the offense run more efficiently?

Yet another damning bit of evidence. Because they are not orchestrators. Horrible rotation.

# How much is Lou's putrid effort at stopping penetration contributing to the overall defensive futility? 50% of the problem? 75% of the problem? More?

Depends on the opponent. If they use a pg-centric style(like Utah) then his inability to handle the position is magnified. But if they are just a glorified spot-up guy(Like a Derek Fisher or Duhon) then his defense is a 50% issue.

# How close are you to the end of your rope? What happens when you get there, do you (a) stop watching, (b) stop caring, (c) start rooting for a high lottery pick, (d) all of the above?

D. I already started looking at draft picks, since that is one thing I know they can do well. Solomon Alabi, anyone? I am looking forward to the End of the Eds. One bit of solace is that I thought this team was really a couple years away anyway. But I did not want them going backward.

# What purpose did it serve to keep Jrue on the bench even after the game was out of hand in the fourth quarter tonight?

EJ is a moron.

# We know Ed Stefanski forced Mo Cheeks' hand two years ago with the Korver trade. Last year, he brought his guy in to run the team the way he thought they should be run (and by that, I mean make the team run). Do you think he'll involve himself in some way this year? Possibly hand down an edict that Jrue is a part of this team's future, Willie and Ivey are not, so you better start playing him?

Would he undermine his boy? Good question. I think the attendence numbers might start bringing him some heat from above though(Not a moment too soon).

# A rumor broke today that Elton Brand is available. Would it shock you if he was traded before the end of the season? Would you care? What are the odds these rumors stemmed from the coach saying Brand is either (a) done or (b) doesn't work in the PO?

IMO, Brand was a bad idea from the jump, mainly because so much of the core is so young and developing that bringing in a win-now guy that was damaged goods to match up with a win-now pg that they let walk for nothing was a bad strategy. The core is all under 25, with most under 23. Realizing that, they needed to let the core play and develop with some vet journeymen chaperones to show how them how to be pros(the Ollies and Ratliffs of the world).

# This time last year, the Sixers were 4-5. Why didn't it feel this bad back then?

Because that team was struggling offensively. It is always worse when you can't defend.

# Any chance someone on this team shows a backbone tomorrow night and plays with passion?

We can hope.

# Where the hell was Speights tonight?

Off-day. Much like Dre's shooting stroke. Of all things, those two are not a concern.

Court_visioN on Nov 14 at 15:39

ahhh remember when Iguodala's crappy outside shot was the biggest beef we had with this team?

Things aren't looking good at all right now, and I don't think they will be good for the foreseeable future. The team might even move. No one in Philadelphia cares anymore. It's been 8 years since they were poised to get swept in the finals by the Lakers.

Everything they've done is assbackwards. Ed S saying he wants to run then signing Elton Brand instead of Mr. Smith.

Letting the guy who holds the whole team together go and drafting a project instead of the player who may not be named.

Samuel has already gone into whiny pussy mode 9 games in, Elton is a complete bust, our two best players play the same position, and our starting PG is a sixth man at best on an actual team.

Guys, we need to just face up that we are rooting for a team that isn't going to do anything until they get an actual superstar to build around. The best thing we can hope for for this year is to get John Wall and start things over around him.

I'd like to see the entire team blown up. Ed needs to go, Eddie needs to go, Iggy/Elton/Sammie/Willie/Lou need to go. Iggy is a good player, but he is an overpaid second banana.

We need to keep Thad/Jrue/Spieghts, give them as many minutes as possible, and then try to get Wall/someone who matters in the draft.

I know that won't happen, but the team makes me sad. I knew this season was going to be a wash when our new jerseys didn't have the USA shoulder/neck/waist piping.

JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 17:09

Ed S saying he wants to run then signing Elton Brand instead of Mr. Smith.

When will the myth that the sixers could have signed Smith end? The Hawks would have matched.

Mike P reply to JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 19:01

Fine then, not signed anyone. That would have been the best option available now that hindsight is here for us to use.

Then they could have gotten Miller back for what Portland gave him to teach Jrue the ropes while he played back up.

JohnMagee reply to Mike P on Nov 14 at 19:52

I agree with not signing Brand

I don't agrtee with bringing back Miller - they kept miller too long - he should have been traded two years before his sixer career ended, the problem is that the sixers ended up getting nothing of real value from Miller from the moment he was a sixer (sorry, first round playoff embarrassments don't matter to me as much as they do everyone else) - he just let the sixers keep the PG cupboard bare too long.

Mike P reply to JohnMagee on Nov 14 at 21:07

Yeah I think they should have dealt miller too. But they could have just resigned him for cheap and had someone to tutor Jrue for at least one year.

That contract portland gave him was cheap as hell. Or they could have just traded him as soon as possible and went into full blown rebuilding/blow up mode. (which is what they should have done)

First round exits and #10-15 first round picks have gotten totally played out in Philly.

eddies' heady's on Nov 14 at 17:51

Get John Wall? Now, I don't disagree with this as I have seen him many times in person. But what do you do with Jrue if, in fact, you did get him?

Wall has to play with the ball in his hands.

Well Jrue sucks so much at offense he can concentrate on passing the ball to Wall and playing Defense.

He'll be like the ultimate version of Eric Snow.

Mike reply to Mike P on Nov 14 at 19:06

how could you possibly make a statement like that about Jrue? he's 19 and has played in less than 9 career games man. that's just absurd.

Mike P reply to Mike on Nov 14 at 19:47

I never said Jrue would suck. He'd just be an amazing version of Eric Snow to Wall's Iverson/Wade.

Either way a Wall/Holiday backcourt with the new guard friendly rules would be straight cash. Move Iggy to the 3, Thad to the 4, and Speights to the 5 and just run like crazy.

Of course every team that sucks probably has a blog with someone making these exact same comments.

"Oh yeah man! We get Wall and put him with Harris, Lee, and Lopez and we will be unstoppable!"

Mike reply to Mike P on Nov 14 at 19:55

ahh i see what you were saying. still, holiday is going to be a lot better than eric snow. his jumper at 19 is already better than snow's ever was.