Fun With Matchups: Sixers vs. Griz

Looking at the schedule ahead, better win this one.

Yup, late start for League Pass, missed the intro. Usual starting lineup, about to tip it off.

Brand on Gasol, Dalembert on Randolph to start.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:14

Dala with his dishing cap on already.

Lou 4 Three. Nice drive and kick by AI9.

3 turnovers in the first 3 minutes and change. All unforced errors.

Make that four, that one was forced, on a foul actually.

Brand all over the boards. Lou should've dunked that layup that got blocked.

Two threes for Lou.

EB 2/2, nice baseline J there, arc looked better.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:21

There's that extension and arc from EB.

Looked much better, right?

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:22

Track meet pace so far. Even with the whistles and turnovers.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:23

Rudy Gay just blowing by Thad

Thad's handle looks like it's getting worse, not better.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:27

He just makes me cringe when he starts to dribble or create. And his jumper just doesn't look like it will ever show improvement, esp from three.

His mechanics are off. something change from last year, earlier in the season his footwork was off, now the shot just looks herky-jerky. Need to get him back in the gym with that shot doctor they used last year.

I think this is more of blip though, w/ the jumper, no reason he should regress from three.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:32

Yeah, I thought Ed said they were def going to add a coach of that nature, right? I wish they would keep the guy on staff at home and on road.

Thad and Lou could really use one. Well the whole team but those two considering the minutes they get.

3/3 for EB, another jumper.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:26

EB's letting that elbow extend tonight, with another one.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:26

zumoff just said he's not surprised both teams are shooting high percentages because "both teams have high powered capabilities"

more like both teams are horrific defensively.

Makes you wonder if he knows anything about basketball when he says something like that.

Apart from that game against Washington, Thad has been so bad this season. To think I was so high on him in the first two seasons.

It's early and he's young. He had a bad stretch last year as well. I'm less concerned w/ the offense from him than I am w/ rebounding/defense.

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:35

I think he just has a long ways to go before we'll get to see him ever beating guys off the dribble. Which means he's a role player at best at the 3 position at this point in his career.

Was that Lou pressuring the ball? Holy crap, ends up being a turnover.

Damnit, Thad.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:35

I'm not a quick reaction guy, but Thad often makes me think I overvalue him. I thought he possessed more IQ and want-to. He was a smart kid in high school and at GT and is well spoken now, but.....I don't know.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:32

Damnit, Lou

So with EB and Smith in the game, you think EB is at the 5 and Smith at the 4? That's the way I'm tracking it.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:37

Non position-specific offense :)

Down by 6 after one. They just put up a 22 spot on the 2nd worst defense in the league. Funny, I still thought defense was a bigger issue.

4 starters played the entire first quarter, which means we're going to see major subs with the Sixers already trailing 22-28. Could get ugly. Luckily, MEM has no bench whatsoever.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:37

Young still crafty around the basket. Would like to see him initiate contact instead of going through evasive maneuvers everytime he heads to the hoop.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:38

We had 18 pts with just a l'il under 6 min left in the 1st and only ended up with 22. ugh

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:39

notice Elton Brand is adjusting to EJ getting him the ball at the 3 point line? He's just keeping the ball more often and dribbling the ball closer where he's more comfortable. Not sure it's advisable against quicker PFs but against Zach Randolph's sagging D it's a pretty good strategy.

Primoz? Ugh.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:40

Uh-oh, I'll give him a shot though.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:40

I'll bet Royal Ivey's gonna come in. All-star lineup right there.

Primoz, Smith, Kapono, Ivey, Willie. That's the worst lineup they can possibly put out there, right?

You think Lou likes having Tinsley guarding him? He could go for 30+ tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:42

Thad better step it up b/c he will probably see extended minutes with Rod hurting. Or maybe....

TheAnswerAI on Nov 20 at 19:42

Lou on fire. That might be his first? 30 point game at the end.

Brand looked just great in the first 14min.

Defense has to get a lot better.

Is that Jrue?

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:45

don't remember there being a #11 on the Sixers... somebody they signed in the last couple of days?

Jrue to Smith for three.

Primoz w/ a nice foul to stop a dunk. Atta boy.

Pretty drive, no finish for Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:47

Looks like a lot of peeps had already bought tickets with the anticipation of AI's return. Either that or we are suddenly the hot ticket in town.

Stands look halfway decent and that's saying a lot.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:49

brezec sucks.

That was great defense by Jrue, rode Williams all the way go the baseline, didn't need any help, it came anyway, left Thabeet all alone under the hoop for a dunk.

Let in 28 points in the first quarter at a 56% clip against the Grizzlies at home.

You'd think pride would kick in at some point.

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Nov 20 at 19:52

The starters came out hot but didn't appear to have that intensity or pride like you said. The bench has played with more energy.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:50

Jason Smith is guilty of helping too much. Which explains why Eddie Jordan considers Smith the Sixers' best defender at the 4.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:53

Damn, he almost picked another one.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:53

willie green lost defensively.

Carney must be hurt or he would've been in there by now.

Sick steal, three-point play by Jrue.

Court_visioN reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 19:55

he did miss the FT though.

And thanks for coming, Jrue. Need to extend Willie's minutes, so you're out.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:56

Jrue has good will and want-to. But he just needs to rein it in some. He thinks he has to do too much to probably try to earn more minutes b/c he's frustrated. He gives you good plays but then seems to counter them eventually. Just young and it will come. But letting it come and calming down some would be beneficial.

A good way to make a 19-year-old skittish is to sit him for games on end, then yank him every time he makes a mistake and sit him for a couple more games.

Carney for three! 6/9 for the team, still losing. Unbelievable.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:05

But to be truthful, it was more than one. He didn't finish on that drive, he settled for a three the defense looks to be giving, and he just seemed to lose him man a lot off picks and rotations.

The steal at midcourt was sweet and he almost picked another one that was thrown from the corner to underneath the basket that went out of bounds i think.
He shows spunkyness but just needs to be more controlled with it.

Agree about the three, didn't see him lose anyone on defense though.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, he needs to settle down, I just don't know how he's going to do that when he plays 4 minute stretches every third game.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:17

When he lost his guy on two occasions I think, it didn't cause us to give up immediate points but he did get lost in the shuffle one time and the other I cant remember specifically.

Seriously, I feel strongly they are teaching him and coaching him off of tape a lot. You know they are. I feel your point and frustration, but I feel it is proper for them to hone him in and make him understand what he has been applying in practice, he just has to translate that to the real courts.

I don't know, I mean, I have less of a problem w/ Jrue taking an open three off the dribble with 7 seconds left on the shot clock than I do with Willie taking a contested 20-footer with 15 seconds left. I'd like to see what he does when he's given a chance to get into the flow of a game, rather than out there for 4 minutes, then done for the half, or probably the night.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:31

It's coming. I said before - patience.

It is a coming.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:00

Just talking to myself, sorry.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:58

At least Jrue's attacking the paint.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 19:58

That wrist looked good on snap Rod with the three.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 19:59

did dalembert just make a good pass?

Lou at least looks like he's giving an effort on D tonight. That's an improvement.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:07

Yeah, he looks similar to the Bulls game.

All tied up, see if they can finish the quarter strong. Up 1 now.

That's three of four shots for AI9 that were halfway down.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:10

I wish Rod would stop getting banged up b/c we need him to play more than Thad it appears. For the D end and shooting from deep and getting boards. Damn Thad, I hate I had to say that.

Up 50-49 at the half, second quarter was much better. Carney made an immediate impact, wondering why it took so long to get him in there.

No Kapono, even though Memphis is packing the lane.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:19

Who's he going to guard?

Since when is that a concern?

Good start for EB.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:29

But I meant they are packing the lane even with their starters. Who could he cover of them?

Have to be Gay, I suppose. Sam Young if they used him against their second unit. Neither is a good matchup, but you can't play against Peja every night.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:39

Maybe he could guard Rudy better than Thad has...

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:26

EB with the Speights'-esque lefty hook.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:28

And another left hook from EB!

3rd block for Brand

Has Gay hit the rim yet?

Tie ball game. Sixer 9, Gay 10 so far in the third. May want to get a hand in his face, Thad.

I'd go to Carney out of this timeout.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:37

I can't believe when people say that we don't look to be running the offense we have (and stop focusing so much on the 'Princeton' of it), b/c there is way more off-the-ball-movement and spacing. They just don't execute a lot of the sets properly or timely which makes it look like we're not running anything. There's more flares, more curls, more handoffs, many Triangle principles too. It just isn't understood, believed-in, or accepted right now. But with time that should come too.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:38

If Sammy would understand to kick it out if he gets an O board, we could be just that much better.

Lou w/ a bailout three there. 3/4 from deep for him tonight. 8/10 for 21 points.

There's Carney for Thad. Overdue, if you ask me.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:41

Damn, EB looked good on that dribble.

Not to pile on Thad, but in a good way, if he could dribble as good as Brand it would be a good thing for us and him too.

Solid drive by EB +1.

Now a Memphis run.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:42

And Brand off the dribble again and a foul. To the line.

4 on Gasol, go right at him again.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:44

Man that was traveling on zack...

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:45

No it wasn't...

Anyone see Carney in Gay's fucking jock right there? Wow.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:50

Don't ever repeat that again...lol

14 0-boards for Memphis. That's just pitiful.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:49

The looks are there - if the guys will just make them. Just shoot the dang ball.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:52

WTF Willie. The P and R and you jack one.

I'm not sure you could possibly play that P&R worse, I'm also not sure why Willie and Smith are playing a two-man game when Iguodala and Kapono are on the floor.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:59

Can't argue that one..... Was it a specific call or just something from the flow of the offense though? I can't remember how it developed.

WTF, Willie dribbles for 15 seconds, heaves a 20-footer w/ a hand in his face. Just terrible offense.

Down by 7 at the end of the third.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:53

Which of Rod's wrists is hurt? He just yanked the rim with his right one.

It's the right.

EB had 3 rebounds in the first 3 or 4 minutes. He's now stuck at 4 for the game. Need him to control the glass in this quarter (assuming he gets back in the game).

It's the right.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 20:55

Our leading boarder is Sam with 5. Five?

OK, now in this 5-minute run for Willie he's made more bad plays than Jrue made in his run, and zero positive plays.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 20:59

You win.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:00

Rod just played good defense and passable defense but Rudy can shoot. Wish we had more of them.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:27

More of them meant Rudy Gay's.......shooters that is.

They should just leave the Jamie Maggio cam on during timeouts.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 21:05

Copycat.

EB should be back in the game out of this TO.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 21:07

He was....damn Rudy can just shoot...to hell with all that Thad floor or ceiling comparable to Rudy...i would love to have his shooting in this offense....defense notwithstanding

I've never seen him shoot like this before. He's unconscious.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 21:12

He did that crap at UCONN on the regular. He can just score at times and shoot it too.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 21:13

Just quickly....wouldn't you trade Thad and Lou for him and eventually start Jrue. .................Wow!

Career high for Lou.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:08

Come on guys, you better win this damn game. its the grizzlies....

TheAnswerAI on Nov 20 at 21:11

Kapono is so bad it's not even funny. Take him out damnit. His defense is a joke and if he doesn't hit his threes he's worthless.

Thad back in. Not sure who's he's in for, though.

God fucking damnit Lou. Motherfucker.

Down 6 with 4 minutes to go is not the time for that shit.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:14

Damn Thad....just shoot the damn ball...come on man

And just like that what should've been a 4-point game is 10. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:16

Whew. I said y'all muthers would lose this game anyway.

Damnit prove me wrong.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:18

They have time to come back...come on... Optimist? why not....

Lou has been crazy good tonight offensively.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:19

Lou, I'm going to keep saying I would trade you if you keep knocking them down like this! Damn...

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:20

Guys - what does this spell? W i n

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:21

Just attack and try to get to the line. Preserve the clock. Make them play you.

Thad looks like a rookie out there.

Thad with a killer force.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:22

I will be glad when Speights is back and in with this lineup instead of Thad. EB with another turnaround.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:32

and that was - Lou, Dala, Carney, EB, and 'reese when he gets back

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:55

*bookmark* this post.

Cause I do want to see this lineup!

How easy is that? Give him the ball in the post, let him work.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:23

Honestly...... How hard is it to play with this kind of intensity when the organ is pumping...the whole damn game?

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:25

And, your asses are down five.

How can you not be down on Thad right now? The announcers are talking about him attacking the glass on the offensive end. How about getting a freakin defensive board just once.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:30

I'm pissed too. But...... he does work for Ed too. The big Ed.

Son of a ........... i will be..........i should have known............wait i did..........

they will get better though.....no doubt...just kick Sam to the curb and get a serviceable five....growing pains this year for sure but criticisms aside, they have marginal talent to at least get by...which....isn't really the end result i desire as a fan.....it's been too long since they delivered excitement to my longest yearn....i welcome the day it returns............chip that is!

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:23

And here I meant the announcers worked for Snider.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:26

The Big Ed.

OH MAN!

What a fucking dunk.

How do you lose? How? Who was on him, Iguodala? Then no one rotated? This is just getting so old.

Carney's fault.

Carney, I think. He was on Randolph.

This is just so hard to watch.

Court_visioN on Nov 20 at 21:30

man, when i stopped watching it was 50-49 philly. Get home, get online, and they're losing. I really shouldn't be surprised, but I thought somehow they'd pull a win out tonight.

Is there really a reason Thad's on the floor for this offensive possession?

I have no clue about Thad and Sammy. I mean a trade for Sammy doesn't matter really. We might as well give him up if all he's good for is finishing games on defense.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:39

The team defense would def have to be better to let him go. But a more dimensional five is vital in this offense. I don't like rash decisions but they have to try to use him to change something, anything. I want def rebounds as the ultimate priority, but he disrupts chemistry - on court chemistry, much less lockerroom chemistry.

I'm not complaining, just campaigning. It's more a hope than an actual reality, but still.

I'm not trying to kill Sam or make a rash decision, but he didn't play at all tonight and when he was out there he didn't do much. EJ likes him less and less as the season has kept going and we're just getting started.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:44

So, can EJ get some credit for that? Please.....

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 21:50

I mean, if all he's going to contribute is some sporadic D and minimal smarts and fundamentals, he is useless. But not financially. Which is how they and the rest of the league are thinking. :(

No, what's up with you defending EJ when he's not even the main part of the discussion? If he is not going to play Sam, regardless of why, then we should try to shop him. Sam is not playing well, so I guess you want credit for EJ not playing him when he's bad? Well, OK, great job EJ!!!

Rich reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:52

Oh alright, yeah, but come on EJ has nothing to do with Sam not playing.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 22:01

Well who would you surmise it had to do with then?

Sam mostly. I mean he just doesn't come consistently with effort, that's all. The problem is, with Speights out, the options behind him are very limited. I'm not blaming EJ, but just saying that if Sam doesn't give us anything most nights and is playing less and less, then we should listen to the right offer. I just don't see why I need to praise him for playing Sam less and less. If he stinks, don't play him.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 22:12

absolutely no need for praise.....just as well as the criticism...

but it is dire straits trying to move a guy with an almost nothing skillset and a damn trade kicker in this ecomony.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 22:09

And I'm not defending EJ. I'm saying he should be given credit for finally showing this franchise that Sam has to depart. I love his controling the boards but he just depletes you in so many areas. I don't want shoutouts for EJ, it's more the team-concept oriented, b/c like has been said, the coach is going to be here for a while.

Alright, fair enough. It's going to get tougher and tougher to move Sam though.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 22:16

Tougher hell......he'll never be moved.

Prove me wrong, again then.

If anyone can think of another way to say ugly loss, I'm all ears.

97-102, at home, to the Grizzlies...I'm going to grab some food, I'll be back w/ my wrap later tonight.

Thanks for taking part, guys.

This team is all screwed up right now. Sad to say it, but all of these guys look like terrible fits (minus Lou, EB now and Iggy, even though that's just because he's a better player). Thad is the one that's a killer, he looks terrible. It's looking like the running is what made him more effective.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:41

Not necessarily effective, but exposed to me.

Exposed? As in like you saw him more? I mean he shot 54 and 49 percent running up and down, now he's at 42. He takes terrible shots offensively trying to break him man down. I mean, he did have Andre Miller, but I think his greatest aspect is as a finisher out on the break and he's not doing that nearly enough this year.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 20 at 21:55

What? Saw him more?..... I meant exposed in the sense of the only way he is effective is if we run. Just like you said, I think.

He is surely young, but I don't know if he has enough of the dimensions needed to be successful night-in and night-out right now. He offers too little and that's without mentioning weaknesses whick need major work.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. I have a lot of trouble picking up what you say haha.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:34

Just be patience heady's. This thing will get better b/c they see the defenders aren't there. Nor the shooters.

Is this holding out all hope? If it is, then I'm all in.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:36

Inebriation effect - patient.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:42

I could be wrong in evaluation, but Thad just looks sketchy. He doesn't appear to grasp the concept of fit-in. Or something...... could be wrong.

He doesn't possess the talent first of all, and then doesn't even display the want-to. And no semblance of prowess on either end of the floor.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 22:44

Prowess, as in mentality.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:04

Hold up..... not negatively, but did Jrue take 5 shots in 5 min tonight? I thought he only shot three.

I was trying to figure that out too, I thought it was 4, but 5 is right.

He had that nice spin move, blew the layup. Then he missed the three. Then he got the steal and made the layup, then he had two drives that he missed. 5 shots is right.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 23:09

Shoot.... i missed the two drives you speak of. Was he in at the end...and i just missed it? When did he do those?

Nope, he only got the one run for 4+ minutes. The two drives were right at the end, nothing too memorable about them. Wild shots after penetrating.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 23:15

As critiquing as I tend to be, I can't believe I missed them. Two of them at that.

Friday I guess.

Final 15 minutes...

More Small Ball = More lottery balls

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 20 at 23:29

Well, it's either that or play Sam? Really.

I need to check something from the play by play for the wrap about Sam.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Nov 20 at 23:42

And I don't care about the +/- b/c Primoz had to play 4 and J Smith 17. (although eventually, if not now, I want to see J Smith get more minutes). But Sam couldn't produce enough to keep those two off the court.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:45

Not assuming what you were implying, but curiously await what you may be checking.

48-28

and 13-6 for team rebounds (not sure how to count those towards the total? Does that mean 61-34.)

eddies' heady's reply to tk76 on Nov 20 at 23:54

Or is that 35 to 22 individually?

Don't know for sure, but the individual boards add up to 48-28, so I think 61-34 reflects total boards... and total embarrassment.

Again, you are getting killed on the boards but are tied- so you decide to go small the final 15 minutes? You can go Brand/Smith, Smith/Sam or Sam/Brand. Bit instead you put Kapono, Iguodala and then Thad at PF next to Brand as your 6'8" center???

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:36

man....Lou had the game of the ages if he would reduce the to's......damn, he was efficient, and playing the passing lanes.

eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:50

Wasn't that video on Dec. 21 '07? On the image? That has to be right b/c there are other memories with that date.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 20 at 23:51

the player at the bottom...

Stefanski should be fired immediately for not signing AI. Oh wait, I forgot, wouldn't want to take away minutes from Lou and Willie. Who cares that the crowd is dead, selling tickets and creating a buzz is really not important. And I also forgot that AI will "corrupt" the team - wouldn't want to derail this juggernaut. And who would want to sign one of the franchises all time greats to a one year cheap deal so he can retire as a sixer instead of in disgrace. Makes me sick.

AI-Jrue-Iguodala-Brand-Sam

Sort of resembles the 2001 team other than the fact that AI can no longer carry a team and the coach is the anti LB when it comes to getting his team to play "the right way."