Opportunity Knocks for Jrue

JohnMagee on Nov 25 at 17:18

I'm glad he's starting, it's a step in the right direction, but let's face it, his first start is against the Celtics on the second half of a back to back...the sixers were going to lose this game even if Speights and Lou were still healthy. Jrue is going to struggle, Jrue is going to make mistakes, he's got to be nervous and he's still only 19 years old.

The important question is can jordan REALLY develop a rookie, realize that mistakes are learning opportunities, let him play through them, don't bench him but point out what he did wrong and let him try and do better next time. If he starts but then gets pulled before Sam gets his obligatory 2 fouls and doesn't get up again until the beginning of the third, the principle is still the problem, Jordan needs to let Holiday struggle or he's never go to grown

I don't have any confidence that Jordan will allow him to struggle. I think he needs to be solid tonight, solid to the point where Jordan will be exposed as a complete moron if he then goes back to burying the kid on the end of the bench.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Nov 25 at 17:54

Except that if he continues the 'one mistake and your done' concept it just proves that he's a complete moron anyway doesn't it?

Most excited I have been for a game since opening night. Let's hope Rondo is a little lackadaisical on D tonight...

According to Tom Moore, big Willie G will be starting tonight. If its true, its a damn shame

I'm excited to see Jrue get some major minutes for a change. I'd have preferred before yesterday they take all WG's minutes and give them to Jrue but that wasn't happening. From the few times I've seen him play the point he looks a lot better (more comfortable) than when he had to play off guard at UCLA. Probably that is a good thing as otherwise he'd not have slipped to us.

For the Sixers to win tonight I'd say Thad has to put up 30+ and get at least 6 boards. Normally, when Thad scores a lot he's being efficient.

iverson to retire

and has iguodala ever scored more than 35? i thought his career high was like 30.

JohnMagee on Nov 25 at 18:32

Brand out tonight as well

Jrue
Iguodala
Thad
Smith
Sammy

This is going to be bad

Well, I am back blogging. I did not expect this to happen this soon. As stated, I was not going to waste my time and get frustrated watching the sixers with Green playing before Jrue. Shockingly, watching CSN, they confirmed Jrue is starting tonight!

I actually have a letter half written with quotes almost ready to send to the coach pleading for him to play Jrue before Bill Green. Hopefully, I can soon delete the letter or put it in deep storage.

I do not care IF the sixers lose as long as Jrue has a decent game. That is all I ask and pray for tonight.

Good put back by Iggy there... Let's defend Rondo Jrue. Smith for THREE off the Jrue pass. Sammy putback next. 9-9.

Damnit Thad. Overhelps on an Allen P and R, Pierce for a wide-open 3.

Rich reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 19:50

Even dumber because Perkins was the screener. Let Sam pick up Allen and let Perkins catch the ball far from the hoop.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 19:53

Let's GO!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 19:53

Jrue with the one handed whip pass, left hand at that!

Iggy off to a 2-4 start with a nice dunk. Sam defends Garnett well twice even though KG hit a really tough fadeaway. Iggy 3-5 with a lefty alley oop pass from Jrue, who has 3 assists in the game now.

I absolutely hate it when Sam goes 1 on 1 against someone. Has like a 5 % chance of something positive happening.

Jrue with a sweet lefty flip over Garnett!!

If Sheed jacks contested threes, small lineup with Thad at the 4 might work out. Big and hopeful 'if' though.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 20:00

Well they are holding true to form so far, playing up to the competition that is. Really great effort to this point. Fighting for boards and loose balls.

Haha isn't it sad that we're really encouraged with a three point deficit in the 1st quarter?

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 20:05

True, but you have to be considering arguably our top 3 scorers are out. It really isn't that bad.

Big shot by Carney on a drive and kick from Iggy. Down 4 after one, not bad effort.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 20:08

27-23 Celts after one.

I like when Carney is in the game, if for nothing else but to spread the floor and pose a threat from three. And he can at least play defense unlike Kapono.

Oh man, look at this unit defensively. Green-Kapono-Carney-Thad-Primoz. Nice move by Thad taking Sheed on the dribble.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 20:14

Primoz with the serious hops for the board! lol....

Kapono for three, up one. Iggy is really playing like an all-star right now. He's pushing at every opportunity and finding guys.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 20:21

Damn, if we could just secure the defensive board and stop giving them second chances we may be up by quite a bit.

Jrue to Thad for 3 and it's pure. 4-5 from distance for the team. We're up 5 and are getting good minutes from everyone so far, even Willie!

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 20:27

And don't leave out Primoz....LOL

I guess Primoz has replaced Willie in the "even" category. Kapono's cooking early.

Sammy's second there, Smith with 2 and Primoz with 3 as well. Big guy foul trouble is a problem.

Bad gamble by Jrue there leads to a Pierce three. No choice but leave him in tonight though :)

Terrible call by Crawford to give Smith his third. Man do I hate Garnett.

Great defensive possesion by the team to force a Rondo three. Up one at half. Jason Kapono shooting the lights out, Iggy playing a great floor game and shooting 5-9, Thad giving some very encouraging signs defensively by contesting and being smarter, Smith, Willie and Carney contributing. Real nice effort.

Jrue isn't playing great but I still like the way the offense runs when in his hands. He's finding open guys and being allowed to play through mistakes.

I'd like to see Carney get more than 8 minutes though.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 20:56

Agree with most. Jrue just needs to get more acclimated at the defensive end. And totally agree on Rodney.

Yup, and that comes from consistent playing time. Gotta say that Rondo and the Celtics are a quirky match-up too so that could be tough. Good to see him out there though.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 20:59

Side note: I love Jrue's two hand chest passes, they are so crisp and placed in a favorable position.

8-0 run, good time-out by Jordan, down 3.

Get on Iggy's back please...

4 on Perk and he has been incredulous at every one. Jrue keeps shooting and knocks one down.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:09

Come on Joey Crawford that was a charge, Thad beat Pierce to the spot.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:11

Wonder why he went to Kapono here instead of Carney when J Smith picked up his fourth?

I don't know, I guess he's just hot (just hit another) and it's easier to play small when Sheed and Garnett are in the game.

Jrue with the dunk!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:12

Come on Sam, never turn your back to the ball like that.

Ivey and Green before Carney????? Are you serious?????

Jesus. Royal hits a bomb on his first touch. I should keep talking bad about him.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:17

I like the aggressiveness guys but stop with the fouls and giving them free shots at the stripe.

Things getting chippy with double techs called. I'd get tired of hearing KG's lip too. Just win this damn game and he'll shut up.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:19

Crawford with the ehhh call on Ray Allen on Willie. The refs are getting ready to start calling this tight to get control.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:20

And what do you know, a tech on Sammy right after that.

Willie for 3 out of the PO, this is insane and the C's marching to the line on the other end.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:21

Come on guys, just finish.

I give Thanks a plenty if the Sixers can beat the Celts. And beating them would be all the Giving I would need.

TheAnswerAI on Nov 25 at 21:22

Thad and SammyD got Ts for NOTHING! Sheed elbows SammyD and he gets no T? WTF! I can't believe it.

Alvin reply to TheAnswerAI on Nov 25 at 21:32

Ball don't lie!

We're not gonna win a free-throw shooting contest, unless it's a team with 5 Shaqs.

Willie giving you a good Willie game by simply getting hot and making shots. 13 in 7 minutes then KAPONO FOR THREE, we hold three.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:27

Isn't it just sweet to watch when we can actually knock down open jumpers. B/c you can't fast break all night and no matter what offense you run, teams will always pack the lane against us. They packed it in on us last year with more iso and P and R sets.

Another 3 for Wille, 16 in 8 minutes. I'm speechless. The FT line is their saving grace because they've been living there.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 21:29

And we need to get there (the line) a lot more often b/c this barrage of three's just can't keep up, can it?

I mean they just want to keep us out of the lane. They're doing it pretty succesfully but our shot-making has been excellent. So I guess it might. We need Iggy to take us home here methinks...

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:28

Ohhhh, nice cut Willie and pass from Dala.

Another 2 for Willie. We're on a streak when I keep commenting on every bucket, he gives us another one. 85-79 Sixers after three. Let's close these guys out!

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:31

Guys, please don't pull another CLE game here in the 4th. Don't let all those jumpers you've been making be fool's gold. In other words, don't start settling - just attack and try to get them in the bonus early.

This team has been saving up several games of jump shooting for this one. I'm amazed everything feels like it's going in.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:33

Come on Royal, don't just stand there and watch the ball. Stay with House.

Ivey, you have one job, don't leave House. That's it. Don't screw it up again.

Pierce getting hot, 3 team fouls on Boston already though/

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:37

Alright, 3 team fouls on them......but.....3 on us too.

Thad just hold your pivot foot on those spin moves.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:38

Doc Rivers is going to keep calling those pick-and-pops for the rest of the game. We have to show and get the hell back.

We gotta make Rondo a jump shooter, he's taken 3 shots tonight.

Where is Carney, this is crazy.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:40

Come on Dala, you've been superb so far. Just don't get into force-it mode. Please don't.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:41

Smith 3! D the F up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thad's freaking killing us...

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:43

Sheesh, Thad. No touch on three straight gimmies at the rim. Where's the touch? Shit......

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:44

We're in the penalty. Don't settle for jumpers. Make them guard you.

And Thad bombs two free throws. WTF!!!!!!!

Good sub by Jordan to bring Jrue in because Willie was hurting us on D. Bring in Carney for Thad, he is killing our chances to win this game.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 21:46

I usually don't like to say this but, our chances appear to have ran out.

Doesn't look good, but don't give up yet.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 21:50

Don't worry, I never give up on my boys. But things do look bleak.

Make your FTs Iggy. We gotta get back in this.

Throw it away in the 4th. I should have since it coming.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:48

Man, I jinxed them on that CLE game reference b/c we only have 6 pts so far with half the quarter over. ugh....

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:49

Damn, Thad misses 2, Jrue misses one, and Dala misses one from the line.

Alright Thad, big move there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:52

Just get to the line and get some damn stops. COME ON

House with a killer make on a great defensive possesion.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:54

F me. House with the roll.

Dala draws contact and makes the first and the second. D UP!

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 21:54

Man, Jrue or somebody has to send KG to the line and not give him an open layup.

Really questionable sub by Jordan in there. A cold Sam screws up the P and R and gives up a Garnett layup. Damnit, Jason Smith earned those freakin minutes.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 21:58

I hated to see J Smith go out there too and had the same concern with Sam on the P and R. J just plays those so aggressively and with much effort.

Sam screws up again letting Garnett cut and get two FTs, which he makes 1. Sigh.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:00

Just get to the line and keep stopping the clock. Please.

eddies' heady's reply to eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:01

Oh, and make them when you get there.

Wow. Iggy to the line to try and cut it to 2! We need both man..

And he delivers. D the F up.

Fuck me. A Thad TO and an AI9 charge. Still only down 2 with 30 left.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:03

Man, I just cringed my face up when Thad ended up with that ball and tried to dribble. And what do you know, he turns it over.

BS call on that Dala charge. The guy sold it more than Dala crashing into him.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:05

MUTHA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..... Rondo makes a friggin jumper. Son of a ............ F me F me F me.........

That's a stomach punch right there.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 22:06

I just wish Jrue would have closed out a l'il better right there.

Uh on Dala with a 3, but too little to late with only 3 sec left.

That's a stomach punch right there.

omg somethin unfortunate always happens for us.

Iggy gives us a freakin chance! Miraculous. Damn Allen at the line up 1 with 3 secs. Makes both. Down 3 with 3 secs. left and the ball at halfcourt.

jrue has done good on rondo. only 10 pts

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:09

Dala you passed it too soon. Kapono was coming open. And the Celts foul Thad which was a smart play when we were down by 3.

Iggy fucked up there. I mean I know Thad made both fouls but Jrue has a wide open three on the other side.

mike reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 22:15

see i would have had thad miss the 2nd

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:12

1.8 for us to get a shot off. Unfortunately they are not gonna let us get a 3 off. They will foul again.

Gotta catch and release and pray it's in the act.

i don't know why more teams don't do what boston did there by fouling to prevent a 3pt attempt

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:15

How many more pieces of my heart can these guys continue to rip to shreds? How many? They sure do a good job of it. Ugh.........

punk ass rondo had to make that lucky ass shot.........
oh boy, rough night 2nite
i think jrue will be a good sixth man for us if jordan lets him get the minutes.
jrue's not ready to start yet but he's getting there.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:20

On the bright side (or is it really the bright side considering we still don't show up for the mediocre and lower teams), just a hell of an effort.

Down Speights, down EB, down Lou, on the road, arch rival, second night of a back-to-back. Unbelieveable bench scoring and effort. Jrue looking confident and a little more poised and not so deer-in-the-headlights. Dala looking like he took the deserved benching to heart.

But another freaking loss, damn it's tough.

If anyone can DVR the game, go back to the inbounds play with 3.3 left. Boston did the smart thing by fouling but Iggy missed his only chance to get an open 3. The Sixers went with a triangle set with Kapono at the top of the key, Thad on the opposite block and Sammy on the near one. Jrue is camped in the other corner. Thad goes to screen for Kapono and eventually gets the ball, but he was not the correct option for Iggy the way the Celtics defended it. Kapono who runs around Sammy to the near corner essentially takes three guys with him. Daniels picks him up on the switch and Rondo is guarding the pass on the sideline taking the near corner away. THE KEY though is that Kapono takes Ray Allen completely with him as well, which leaves Jrue wide open on the other side of the floor. Jrue correctly funnels up the three point line and Iggy has him right in his sight-line, because he throws it to Thad who is even with Jrue at this point.

How open was Jrue? There was no Celtic within 22 feet of him and the only one who was even in the lane was Allen who had his back turned and may have been farthest away under the hoop. Jrue is visibly upset that he didn't get it because he puts his hands on his head and just stands there. Hats off to the Celtics for fouling, it's just idiotic not to. Still, that was our chance and if Iggy holds onto it for one more second, he may hit Jrue.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 22:38

Wish I had DVR, but I saw that completely wrong then. I thought as soon as Dala passed it into Thad, Kapono was starting to come open on the sideline. I kind of noticed Jrue (but didn't see his frustration reaction) but was really watching Kapono b/c I knew he was the first option being we needed a three. I thought guys were trying to get back to Thad leaving an opening for a pass to Kapono which is why I said above that Dala passed it too soon. Man, I wish I could see it again. Maybe league pass will replay this game later tonight.

I watched it again. Yeah, Jrue is wide-open. It's tough for Iggy to know it but I think if he looked longer at Kapono he would have realized someone was open.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 22:30

A pointer for Jrue - when on defense he needs to swivel his head quickly and see where the pick is coming from and the spot it is being set at. He got lost or caught up on the screener multiple times causing scrambling by the other guys once the ball was swung or either there was a gross mismatch with their ball handler being guarded by one of our bigs.

It's a coming. I said in a game thread last week or so - patience, patience.

Yeah he definitely had trouble with a good amount of picks tonight. Love his confidence though...

Sixers continuing their pace to win 25 games for the season...

That being said, fantastic effort tonight, they played very well and honestly down the stretch the only thing that pissed me off was Sam's insertion into the game. I mean they were switching a lot of screens and Smith seemed to know what to do to limit them to at least a tough jumper. Plus Smith shot the ball well and hit a clutch 3 in the fourth.

Willie had some trouble with Rondo in the fourth but Willie was so good offensively and his effort was there. Kapono was fantastic all night and not bad defensively. In hate to single out the refs, but in a three point game, when I felt we received 2 unjust T's (Sam and Thad), that may have cost us two points. We missed at least 4 free throws in the 4th quarter which bit us right in the you know what.

The Rondo shot was a killer but that was fantastic defense and just a very lucky shot. House had a dagger late where he had a BS roll on an excellently defended play.

I just don't get why Rodney gets 0 minutes in the second half. He was plus 6 in the first and made his only shot, a big three.

eddies' heady's reply to Rich on Nov 25 at 22:56

My guess on Rodney is that he wasn't taking out Dala (46 min) or Thad (40 min) and Kapono was just so hot like you said earlier. I wondered the same thing during the second half but I don't know who he would have taken out to put him in unless he doesn't go to Ivey and Willie when he played those two together.

iguodala is the best passer on the team, & one of the best in the league. he didn't see holiday because he was worried about a 5 second violation.

Rich reply to mike on Nov 25 at 23:15

Not disputing that he's a good passer. He played a pretty darn good floor game (9 assists, although 4 turns) especially considering his personnel being depleted.

Still that has nothing to do with it. He had plenty of time to wait one more beat and make the pass. That pass to Jrue was our only chance to win because the Celtics took care of business down the stretch. It's not like missing a dunk, but it was a missed opportunity, and a possible chance to win. It would have been nice, that's all. Nothing to do with Iggy being a good player, and he gave a pretty damn gutty effort tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 25 at 23:16

Oh, and on the two T's (both unjust) it didn't cost us two points did it? The one on Thad there were no shots b/c it was a double technical on him and KG.

Yeah, you're right. The way I looked at it was that if anyone was going to get a T there, it was completely insane KG. Yeah, only one point then. Still a big deal though because they made it.

Statman on Nov 26 at 0:36

Hey guys, I was at the game and will give my observations in the follow-up post. But I was wondering: I didn't have the best view of the Iguodala charge -- what did you think of the call? From where I sat, it looked like Pierce was very close to being in the circle and was also still moving, but I might have been looking with biased eyes ;-). Anyhow, getting a foul called on Pierce in that situation is almost as unlikely as getting a foul called on Bird back in the day ...

rchap13 on Nov 26 at 0:41

yea pierce was still moving