The Schedule Does Us a Favor

I have Sling Box and I like it because I can watch every Sixers game when I'm away from home. Still, it is dependent on where you usually watch it. If the internet connection is bad, than it suffers. Still, if you have good connection, the quality is better than what you usually see on the internet.

Here we go. Smith scores for 2-0 math for the Sixers.

I'd like to see the attendance for tonight. Seems like there's more than this season's usual.

wow, the refs missed 3 calls in a row. It's ok because it should have gone against the sixers

thaddeus on Nov 27 at 19:57

damn, bibby with the 3's

Shit. Bibby has 13 already in the 1st. Jrue has to step up and get in his grill. One 3 was because we went zone out of a timeout but the last 2 were in transition and Jrue giving way too much space. Very dissapointing but he's gotta play through it. Get up in his grill, Jrue, come on.

Man, Sam is atrocious handling pick and rolls. He is the reason people have to over-help because he stays out there forever. This leads to open shots.

Willie with a swish from half-court at the end of the 1st quarter! Down 26-23 after one and we gotta play better. This feels like a game we can win. The Hawks look lethargic after last night and we have to make Bibby a driver.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:04

Just don't see the intensity at home that they show on the road (vx. CLE, BOS). They can't rely on the crowd to provide it for them although I do agree that the stands do look a l'il more than usual.

3-6 from three early on from three. I gotta say that this may be Jordan's biggest positive early on. We're making our open threes which has recently been a HUGE weakness.

Rich reply to Rich on Nov 27 at 20:09

14th in the league percentage-wise.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:10

COme on Rodney, there is no need to be sagging down when the ball was under the basket on the baseline. And gives up a Crawford three.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:15

Thad looking really good early.

Thad for three. He's got it going on and keeping us in it. 5-7, 13 points and then a needless Sammy goaltend. Sigh.

Iggy looking for a triple double. He has 7, 7 ast. and 4 boards on 3-6. YES Joe Johnson 3rd foul. Let's go on a run.

Wow, unbelievable stat. With a sweet dish to Thad, Sam ties his assist output from ALL OF last year. Iggy with 2 more assists too. I'd like to think a triple double is on the way.

Nice stat there from Zumoff: Dalembert matching his assist number from last year already. I guess Eddie is good for something.

I like the way we are playing against this Hawk team. They fit into our style of play though, so am not getting too excited. Don't know why Woodson took Bibby out, but hope he comes out flat in the second half.

Alvin reply to T on Nov 27 at 20:24

If EJ has turned dalembert into a passing big man then he deserves some props.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:23

Sam with a beauty of a backdoor pass to AI for a dunk!

Monster Iggy dunk off the Princeton backdoor from Sammy. Great offense.

Jrue's gotta make open shots.

Offense has been way too inconsistent. Fallen asleep a few times for periods and you can't do that against a good team. Rodney has made a few bad plays as well.

I still cringe every time I see a 3-pointer go up from anyone but Kapono.

Sam is protecting the paint. Force the Hawks to beat us from the perimeter. Sad thing is, we can't score.

46-41 at the half. Pretty lethargic performance. Both end of quarters were terrible minus the Willie heave at the end of the first. Thad was excellent, AI9 was very good all-around, and Sammy had flashes. Everyone else was pretty bad though, I have to say I thought Jrue was bad. He didn't get into the lane, missed shots, and got schooled by Bibby in the 1st. He was minus 8 too which isn't good but hey the kid is one of the only things that give me hope.

Shooting 37.8% is not going to get it done. The Hawks are quite good defensively but the Sixers took the lead earlier going to the basket. Late in the second quarter they settled for a lot of jumpers, especially 3s.

there are going to be a lot more Ls before Iggy gets out of his shooting slump.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:54

Sam is manning the heck out of the paint tonight.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 20:57

Nice shot fake and drive for a layup by J Smith.

Court_visioN on Nov 27 at 20:59

come on Dala these turnovers have got to stop.

I really can't tell if Iguodala is helping us or hurting us...

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:04

My guess is he's helping us b/c there is no one else to play really.

Sam patrolling again with a block.

Sam is D-ing the F up.

Man, Jrue is killing us. EJ is justified for taking him out here.

the rookie can't make a damn basket. And neither can Carney. Or Iggy.

I love Carney, but God does he struggle converting in traffic.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:07

J Smith has let Josh Smith get loose around the basket twice in the last 4 possessions. Got to stay with him better than that.

We can win this game is we could just stop turning it over on fast breaks and make them take contested perimeter looks. Contested being the key.

Come on!!

Bibby with a wide-open three. Our offense has been dreadful to this point minus a few three minute spurts.

Carney has to try and dunk everything like that unreal coast to coast dunk.

That's freaking rediculous. AI and Sam screw up the same P and R on THREE STRAIGHT possessions. Terrible job by AI who lets Crawford go off late in the third.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:22

Took the words out of my mouth about Sam messing up those P and R covers and letting Jamal hit that three at the end there.

Kapono hits two bombs in a row to get us within 3!!!

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:24

Come on guys. Kapono with a three, he may have to stay on the court b/c no one else is hitting. Damn, Joe Johnson answers back.

This game is there for the taking. They have to have it. Crap, Crawford with another one. Maybe not.

Just as we say that, a killer Johnson three comes off a double around mid-court leaving JJ alone from three after the necessary ball movement.

I like Carney's energy, he's doing a lot of good things on the court. He just needs to dunk whenever he's near the basket.

raro reply to Alvin on Nov 27 at 21:29

Man, he is quick!

I don't get Woodson because every time he has called a P R in the 2nd half, he has gotten a good look.

Iggy missing free throws. zzz.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:29

I love Dre but he frustrates the hell out of me on a near nightly basis.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:34

Way to use the glass Iggy. I think he purposely did that and it wasn't luck.

Looks like this is gonna be a L.

can't really fault the lineup now. carney is doing well, Young is scoring, Kapono is the only guy who can shoot from outside whereas Smith does a better job than Sam on the p&r, and we need to score.

When Josh Smith hits a 21-footer you know it may just not be your day.

I may like to see the rookie play a bit more. I know he hasn't scored a point but it's all part of the learning process.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 21:37

Couldn't tell vs. BOS b/c we made so many threes but we REALLY miss Lou tonight. Nobody to break down the defense or pose a threat at penetration.

It's frustrating as hell, but we're not often going to make a million threes like the other night. I know we don't have a ton of talent on the floor. Still, this game was winnable and we just didn't play very well.

i don't like this horrid fourth quarter play these last 3-4 games. it is really a concern.

bebopdeluxe on Nov 27 at 22:01

This game wasn't winnable. They were playing with us all night.

Nice job by Stefanski (with that "open checkbook" of his) to sign a vet PG for this season. And I am really looking forward to Holiday playing 25-30 minutes a game for the next 30 games. We'll probably be something like 13-28 at the midway point if this is what we are going to be rolling out there. But Holiday is going to be getting all of that experience, and that's great...

Right?

The only hope would be that we are SO pathetic (like 12-and-30 pathetic) that Snider/Comcast can't take the pain anymore and blows both of these jokers out of town...but ther're so frigging cheap that there is probably no hope of that.

We are going to be the Clippers of the East. Yay.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 22:13

Well at least they didn't tear my heart out tonight as the outcome was really never in doubt. Just a lethargic performance overall as it was a very winnable game. The Hawks weren't crisp at all but neither were we unfortunately.

Like what I saw from Thad, J Smith has his good spurts as does Rodney. Dre is going to have to be consistently consistent every single night while we have these injuries. He did a lot of good tonight but also mitigated some of that with his seemingly forceable bad. But I guess it's hard not to when he probably knows there isn't much more than him and everyone is riding him.

Jrue didn't appear to be comfortable at all tonight and I know that is to be expected. His last showings he let me bite the apple but I should know that it isn't quite ripe yet. Keep telling myself quietly......patience, it's there, it just needs honing in and molding and I feel EJ will be good for him in this respect being he was a point guard.

Roster development is nice and all but I get no solace from losing and looking bad while doing it. It's tough, real tough.

Thad was shooting it well tonight (and has for the last 3 games), but he's turning into some sort of left-handed Kiki Vandeweghe -- 2 rebounds, 1 assist in 43 minutes. I guess they need scoring more than anything else from him right now.

bebopdeluxe reply to Statman on Nov 27 at 23:24

...which is why Thad can probably not be a PF in the NBA.

I think he can be a great SF...it's a shame we already have one of those.

(watching Iggy trying to generate offense with his jumper is horrifying)

Chris reply to Statman on Nov 27 at 23:28

He (Thad) is probably our most talented scorer but it is looking like he won't contribute much else. I'm beginning to think his rookie year (when he rebounded, got steals and played some D) was an anomaly. I was hoping he could turn into another Carmelo-lite type or Cedric Ceballos if you are thinking old school (decent rebounding and assists asides from efficient scoring) but I think he'd wind up now more like a Rudy Gay / Danny Granger type (scores and does pretty much nothing else).

I haven't heard Kiki's name for a while (other than being a GM). I wasn't thinking he was that one dimensional.

Maybe we need to start thinking of moving him for someone who is more well rounded and plays tougher D. As it is, it doesn't seem like we ever give him that many shots even when he is hot.

Tray reply to Chris on Nov 27 at 23:45

How good a scorer will he ever be though? There's not really a whole lot to his offensive game.

Chris reply to Tray on Nov 28 at 0:00

He could easily average 20+. Depending on whether he gets better at drawing some fouls he could be mid 20s. He doesn't take a lot of shots for his points. If he started gunning like Gay or Durant he'd get there easily.

It doesn't matter that he doesn't have a super well rounded game. It matters that what he does most people he plays can't stop it. His game isn't that much more one dimensional than Adrian Dantley (from another era). The other thing is, he isn't *that* bad a shooter. He was a better shooter than Durant every year but last (both in college and pros) and you don't hear a lot of complaints about Durant's shooting. That being said, since last year Durant has been contributing more than just points.

Tray reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 0:23

Durant's a pretty refined scorer, no? He and Thad seem to me to be entirely different sorts of players.

Chris reply to Tray on Nov 28 at 0:38

Durant is primarily a very tall jump shooter with a good handle for his size. He isn't very good in the post (scoring). Durant has been rebounding a lot better lately. That being said, he has a height advantage on just about anyone he plays. He also gets foul calls like Dwayne Wade, which is funny as he isn't physical at all. The free throws really are what keeps his scoring average up.

But my point was, he's been a fairly inefficient gunner until lately. He'll hoist 25-30 shots in a game (even if he isn't feeling it). My point being, if you gave Thad the volume of shots of Rudy Gay or Durant he'd score a lot, in the 20s. You expressly asked how good a scorer Thad could be, right?

My point is, if Thad is a scorer more than anything else, and we aren't going to feed him or use him as such, we'd be better off with a better fitting part for the team.

Statman reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 0:24

Kiki was the epitome of a one-dimensional player in the 80's: great scoring, low everything else. His career averages per 36 mins.: 4.1 rebs, 2.4 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.4 blocks. (He was widely regarded as a poor defender too.) Boy could he shoot, though (career 53/37/87). Thad started out as a better rebounder (7.2 per 36 mins.) but has dropped to 4.3 per 36 mins. this year and is above average in nothing else except steals (also dropping). Even for a small forward, 4.3 rebs per 36 mins. is poor.

By the way, I do agree that Iguodala has been settling for the jumper too much this whole year. He had the right mentality in the Boston game: attack first, shoot jumpers once into the flow. I do think having to do so much on both ends of the floor has worn him down, so that his form on the jumper has broken down over time. He defended Joe Johnson superbly all game, though he had trouble staying with Crawford in the 2nd half.

Chris reply to Statman on Nov 28 at 0:46

Excellent stats on Kiki. As I recall, while he was generally a Korver level athlete, he had an excellent first step and was able to get by much better athletes.

I actually met him once (really, all the Blazers) flying out of Philly to Detroit in the mid 80s. That was when the teams flew commercial flights like everyone else (which I don't think anyone does anymore).

It pains me Thad's D and rebounding has regressed so much; especially considering his athletic ability. It is a crime someone with that hops, speed and long arms could be such a poor defender and rebounder. If he could just contribute more in other ways he could be really good.

eddies' heady's on Nov 27 at 23:54

I feel like I need to give Thad more time and observe him more but..... he doesn't seem to possess or exhibit basic fundamentals. He rarely boxes out properly, if at all. He just doesn't appear to find a man and put a body on him or get low in a crouching position while having a body on someone.

And Lord knows with his handle.... ball-handling is mostly a natural skill and while it can be improved and get better with a lot of work, it still will never be as fluid and crisp and crafty as having it naturally. I just don't ever see him being able to have the handle needed to play the wing position and that's not even considering we're talking about a tall guy here at 6'8". Meaning if he were shorter and more in the guard-type mold, it would have more likelihood of improving but with his height not so much.

He's still young as hell but.... I don't know, he's just so hard to get a read on. But now (if we had better personnel), he would be your typical sixth man since he can obviously provide scoring punch (all he really gives you presently). I'm not a rash decision type but if we could move him for a more well-rounded two-guard that can shoot and defend averagely, it would change the dynamic of our team tremendously.

Some people come into the league and improve immensely. Gerald Wallace would be an example of one who plays Thad's position. He was a better athlete but didn't have as many skills; even his handle was worse. He was incredibly raw. But he improved a ton.

Thad hasn't seemed to improve (much). He is reputed to be very intelligent and is an elite athlete so he has the tools. But, just like defensive rotations, he doesn't seem to 'get it'. I don't know why it doesn't sink in for him.

A two guard who I think would be a great fit for the Sixers would be James Harden on the Thunder. Good size, defends, passes and shoots efficiently. Plus, he is unselfish. But I can't think of anyone the Sixers could trade for him.

Thad could bring a pretty good player in return but not from the teams that have someone that would be a good fit for this team.

Sean reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 0:47

People, he's 21. The age of many rookies. I am not worried about his improvement just yet. Carmelo didn't start really rebounding consistently until two seasons ago and did not start playing D until last year. All that depends on having coaches who make it clear that his lackluster performance on the glass and defensively won't cut it. Right now, he is not being held accountable for it, which sucks

Hence why Thibs would've been a better choice. Any sort of defensive taskmaster really. EJ has quotes after tonight's game talking about how they needed to hit shots and keep pace, never mind the fact that ATL shot 50+% for the game. It is a mindset, and the team/franchise doesn't have it right now.

Chris reply to Sean on Nov 28 at 0:56

I agree they need a defensive minded taskmaster. On Thad, I'm not giving up on him per se, but thinking maybe his rookie year (when he rebounded and defended) was the anomaly.

Sean reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 1:01

Or you could look at it from a different perspective and say that was the only year where if he wasn't giving effort on the glass and on D he wasn't going to see the floor. With Mo, Thad didn't really play at all the 1st couple months, he had to bust his ass just to avoid purgatory.

Now, especially with EJ, if he's filling up buckets, it almost doesn't matter what else he does or doesn't do. EJ called him out about rebounding in the preseason and has not said word one since, especially once Thad started scoring. Meanwhile, Mo rode everybody(with the possible exception of Miller) about defense. The two approaches are stark opposites, and we can see the results.

Sean reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 1:04

Also, regarding his inability to get the rotations, I remember a statement he made either his rookie or 2nd year that he never had to play defense before he got to the NBA. Sounds like his previous coaches never stressed that part of the game because he could get buckets. Much like his current one.

6 and 13 here we come !

I was at the game tonight. Look at the +/-. NOT 1 (one) 76ER had a + game! I have been a big supporter of AI9 but I am quickly losing respect for him. He is a negative to Jrue and hogs the ball JUST LIKE LOU use to do and waste the 24 seconds. If I was Ed S, I would trade him for a young center. I think we can build around Jrue and Lou in the backcourt, Thad and either EB42 or Jason as forwards. We need a center. And, I think we could be a good team. Last year AI9 was a team player but I do not see that this year. It is about him and 'SHOWING OFF" with a belief he is an Allstar. Not in my book! Everyone else's thoughts??

I also felt Jrue did not have the confidence to take shots tonight while AI9 (at first) and Willie Green were not too shy when they were not hitting. He needs to be given some encouragement (I tweeted Lou to do that, btw). Anyway, as long as they keep playing Jrue, I will be happy to watch and spend my money at the Wachovia, somewhat!

DeanH reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 0:44

opps, forgot Speights as he center or power forward. Ok, maybe forget the trade and trade our coach for a real coach that can coach these guys??

I also think maybe Kapono should start instead of Jason Smith?

Sean reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 1:09

No, I like Smith right where he is. He is giving a solid effort on both ends and helps his advancement. This year is a tossaway anyway for me. The core of the team is not going to start approaching its prime for another 2-3 years at the earliest.

I like your 1st suggestion though. Give me a defensive taskmaster with an offensive guru running shotgun. Thibs, Turner from Houston, maybe Brian Shaw too.

Hell, I'd be willing to give McKie a shot in a year or two, with Ford and Lynam as his sideline Yodas. Maybe he could bring in ESnow to install some of Cleveland's/SA's defensive principles.

Sean reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 0:57

Don't see it. He is still a team player, as much as always. I see him trying to make something happen, knowing he is the best playmaker on the team and most of their team needs to be set up in order to be effective. Especially when he is playing with a lineup with Carney, Kapono, Thad & Sam. Not a single extra playmaker or secondary ballhandler out of the bunch. And Kapono & Carney function best when they can just catch & shoot.

The offense has a number of reads and progressions that leads to things like him pounding the rock, especially when players might cut the wrong way and clog areas or other problems. I don't see him "showing off" really.

He is a part of the core and a part of the future which hopefully also includes M16, Jrue, Thad with Lou & Smith as supersub types and a defensive anchor not yet on the roster.

Statman reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 1:03

DeanH: usually I'm in agreement with you, but I've got to disagree this time with your assessment of Iguodala. You can criticize him for poor execution on some of his passes tonight (5 turnovers passing, one of his worst games in a while), but he got other people involved throughout the game, as his 8 assists attest. I really didn't see many instances where Jrue was open and didn't get the ball -- and he wasn't effective at all when he got it either. Did you really see Iguodala hog the ball for 24 seconds? There might have been two plays all game where he had the ball for more than 10. (If I'm forgetting, please remind me.)

DeanH reply to Statman on Nov 28 at 1:07

Ya'll do not know how glad you are making me! I wrote that hoping I was wrong. Believe me, I am not interested in bashing him but just seeing his constant smirks after shots and complaining to the refs is maybe clouding my vision. Anxious to hear other people's thoughts!

Sean reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 1:12

Actually, in his defense, he is being hammered w/o calls quite often. He got sandwiched one time and got the call, but somehow they said it was a non-shooting foul. He gets no respect, which I believe leads into his sometimes unwillingness to drive the ball.

Its funny, he gets some respect on D, but not the other end yet. Not to say that he doesn't have his foibles, but him being "selfish" is not one of them.

Chris reply to Sean on Nov 28 at 1:39

One thing that annoys me about the NBA is the 'star calls' or 'respect fouls'. Certain big name players get fouls just about whenever they miss a shot whether they've been actually been fouled or not. Meanwhile, other players get mugged and get no calls.

It should be like the NFL or NHL where a foul (penalty) is a foul regardless of who commits it or who it is committed against, period. Doing otherwise sets it up to have more things occur like the Donaghy situation.

Sean reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 1:50

Believe me, I get it. I've seen more then a few times when a Sixer(in the post-Iverson era) won't get the calls, especially since we don't have the guys who will do the whole melodrama routine with the screams and wails and faints to get attention. I've thought that if Dala would actually squeal more when he gets hit, then he'd probably get more calls.

Only thing I hate more than star calls and that is those late whistles when the ref makes a call ONLY because the guy missed the shot. Hate those with a passion.

Don't get it twisted though, the NFL has its own version of star calls, especially when the play involves skill-players or name-defenders. You will see a bunch of blown calls or calls that get called on one team when the exact same thing happened going the other way w/o a call.

Chris reply to Sean on Nov 28 at 1:59

I haven't seen that type of thing in the NFL that much; at least, not to blatantly give one star an advantage. Most of the time you see a star in the NFL get away with something it is not right by the ball (other side of the field when the refs aren't looking) or the guy will be really good at being 'crafty'. Like slowing down in front of the receiver to interfere with the route but making it look like you are going for the ball or holding on the other side of the guy than the ref is standing.

You just reminded me of another scenario in the NBA I hate. Make-up calls. That drives me nuts when these are called. The NBA isn't alone in these as I have seen them in the NHL some but they aren't quite as common.

Sean reply to Chris on Nov 28 at 2:09

NFL, you will see name skill players successfully politic for calls that are not really violations, and are not called both ways, while also employing tricks of their own. TO was/is very good at that. Brady, especially with Moss, is very good at getting some defensive holds or pass interference calls. Manning is the same.

You see more parity in the NFL when it comes to line play, though all-pro linemen do get away w/more holds then the regular types

Just listened to the coach's post game, gave good games' to Sam, Carney, Thad and Jason. Wonder who is missing? Maybe I am not completely crazy with my thoughts above???

mike reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 1:22

i thought iguodala had a very poor 4th quarter while the game was headed out of reach

Sean reply to DeanH on Nov 28 at 1:33

Iguodala didn't shoot well. EJ believes in "riding" his stars anyway. Did Dre have a good game? Meh. But the fact that his mediocre game still means a line of 16-9-8-2-2 while virtually shutting down Joe Johnson is actually quite impressive.

EJ believes in "riding" his stars anyway.

Are you shitting me? He actually said that? This is the same fucking guy who benched Iguodala and Brand for the entire fourth quarter the other night, and benched Brand for basically the whole second half until Speights got hurt.

Sean reply to Brian on Nov 28 at 3:57

Paraphrasing, he believes in being super hard on them because he puts so much responsibility and empowerment on them. Nice in theory, but his practices(including lamenting missed shots when you gave up 50% from the floor) leave a lot to be desired

Ok, I thought he was saying riding them as in sticking with the through cold stretches.