The Tickets Are In!

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I`m actually excited to see him play, despite my true thoughts on what will happen to this team in the long-run.

If anything, I hope he teaches the young guys how to play with passion. I`m not concerned about him teaching them poor defensive habits. We already have a coaching staff to reinforce that.

Alvin reply to Jeff on Dec 4 at 3:03

Haha nice one Jeff.

If he can inspire Thad to grab a few rebounds and deflect a few balls, and Brezec to play basketball instead of volleyball, he'll be well worth it. I trust that Iggy will prosper because he won't try to do too much now. If AI can give Iggy/Thad the ball on the block it'll be good news for all.

I'm interested in how AI/Brand will work out. I like the sound of it though, both are passionate players who want to win so bad and have spent most of their careers carrying mediocre teams.

deepsixersuede on Dec 4 at 7:14

Brian, I am trying to look at it as adding a L.Will. [beginning of this year version] level player for the minimum and my main concern is what happens when Lou comes back.All my hope for this to work rides on not seeing a A.I. and Willie starting backcourt Monday.Is it a coincidence that when Lou got major minutes they went small less, because maybe A.I.!s addition results in using a bigger lineup more because if the media has the perception of Willie being good defensively, the coaching staff may too.Wish I couldv!e made the game but have prior commitment; question, as a fan are YOU more pumped for the game than previously? That may help you feel better about it a bit if the answer, no pun intended, is yes.

Rob_STC on Dec 4 at 7:48

This still continues to lose games :

Starting Brand? Before Wednesday night's game, Jordan said he liked what power forward Elton Brand was doing off the bench.

Since returning two games ago after having suffered a sore right hamstring, Brand has averaged 16.0 points per game.

Currently, Jordan's starting lineup consists of rookie Jrue Holiday, Willie Green, Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, and Samuel Dalembert.

So what is the definition of insanity ?

JohnMagee on Dec 4 at 11:01

Reggie Evans 'played with passion' as well...I don't like this thinking cause Iversons 'passion' is a selfish passion, it's about him and his numbers and his 'success' it's not about the team or anything else, his passion is his ego.

I hope to god no one learns anything from his refusal to play for anyone who wouldn't start him because it's best for the TEAM. I hope to go no one learns anything from his 'passion' that is about him and not team.

I agree, to an extent, and I'm certainly not going to argue that Iverson isn't a selfish person, but there's a definite distinction between Iverson and a whole host of me-first players who have played in this league (and continue to play in the league).

So I guess my hope is that he can pass on that win at all costs mentality to a group of guys who can connect the dots that he never could. Having that intense passion for the game, and drive to win without the mistaken thought that you have to do all yourself, that's what I'd hope for.

Still, it's a long shot.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Dec 4 at 11:23

To me there's one codicil about that, and it's this; as long as he's the reason that the team is winning, the ego on the court, that he has to be the reason the team wins, selfishly...it works in 2001 cause no one else can play offense...if he were JUST about winning when he was on the court he would accept a 'reduced' role that gives a team a better chance to win but it's already been shown he won't do that. His approach to Detroit and Memphis are what I worry about rubbing off on the players...his ego on and off the court...

See, that's the disconnect. He always believed, except maybe the year he played with Melo, that he was the team's best chance to win. It's not like a guy who wants all the shots because he wants his stats, it's a guy who wants all the shots because he doesn't trust anyone else on his roster. He also can't imagine a world in which he's not one of the five best players on a team, so coming off the bench is unimaginable to him.

Anyway, this is what I'm hoping for, not what I expect.

The problem was that his style of play only benefited certain types of teammates- guys who can drain spot jumpers and guys who crash the O-Boards or catch oops. There is a big difference between the way AI used to ominate the ball and how Lebron, DWade or Kobe dominate the ball- even if the pts and assts come out to be the same.

Not saying AI was not a great p[layer, and he did help his team win. But he also hindered some other players ability to contribute. This is fine if you can build the right team around him. I'm not sure its fine if he is playing on the same floor as AI9, Thad, Lou or Jrue. Those guys can be marginalized if AI does his thing- which could further delay this team's development.

Even if these guys do not pan out, the team needs to know, and can't wait another year to learn if they can mesh together.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

"Iverson's passion was always geared toward one thing when he was on the court, winning basketball games. I don't think he cared about his points total, or his steals or anything else. He just wanted to win and he was willing to sacrifice his body to achieve that goal. His ego was a problem because he could never see that possibly the best way for his team to win was to do a little bit less (I think he finally got that in Denver)."

Agreed. I think his focus has been about winning. I think his numbers bear that out. You look at his usage rate at its highest (37.8% in 2001-2002), and it steadily dropped the more talent he got around him, first with CWebb (who also like to have the offense run through him), and finally through Anthony. His full year in Denver he had a usage rate of 26.7 with the highest TS% in his career. That's startling for a guy considered to be one of the great ballhogs. I mean, that's Joe Johnson territory.

But I do agree that his ego/overconfidence in his abilities subconsciously led to selfish play, not because he was looking for his numbers, but because he was more confident in himself than he was with his teammates, and felt the best option was his option. That confidence (along with his defense) was his undoing.

(keep in mind, the one full year with Carmelo they were a top 10 team offensively and won 50 games. Not to say Iverson wasn't to blame for their defensive problems, but I don't think their problem was that they couldn't share the ball.

Are there still tickets available?

Send me an e-mail brian@blogsbyfans.com right now they're all spoken for, if something changes I'll let you know.

Brian,

I have been reading your blog since the season opened. I would like your thoughts on who Jrue Holiday reminds you the most from current stars or former? Also would you think a line up of Jrue, Allen, Andre, Elton, and Sammy would provide the best lineup possible for the sixers right now? With Thad coming off the bench maybe it would give us a great spark that the second team could use. I just feel his lack of defense hurts us more than his good o. Would EJ ever allow this?

Thanks,

Shawn

If I could take a crack at the Jrue Q, I'd say he reminds of a bigger Rondo on D. Offensively, he has some Kidd tendencies, some Deron Williams tendecies too. He's gonna be a good one, provided we get a better coach

Hmmn, maybe Gary Payton? Similar size, though Jrue has more muscle on him. Both lockdown defenders. I think it would be a stretch see Jrue as that much of a scorer, he'd probably be more of distributor on the offensive end if he reached his full potential but I'd say Payton is a really good goal for him to strive for.

I could see that, especially since Jrue likes to spin. Doesn't have GP's arrogance though.

anthony gilliam on Dec 6 at 14:22

I just happened to run across this blog by chance while seeking promos for cheap tickets to hopefully bring my son to philly to see allen iverson play live vs lebron as a christmas gift. I would be very grateful for any info on the cavs game dec.16th and any possible ways to get reduced tix with good/decent seating as I AM COMING FROM VIRGINIA and resources are horrible. My cell number is 804-446-1010 and email is "anthonygilliam804@gmail.com" dont worry my number is a google voice number on my cell. I am a lifelong sixers fan as well as an iverson fan, It comes as a shock that soo many people have such a different perception of AI when he is such a rare sized scorer doing what most his size cannot do. He was groomed to star and yes he needs to change his game as his age,overall style and size does not bode well for what most teams need nor really what "seems" best for him. On the other hand when you factor in the challenges he has overcome on and off the court ,growing up poor surrounded by hopelessness and not having much guidance as a young man- you cannot deny that he is not as bad as many athletes who may have made mistakes which were far worse and career ending .I honestly dont think he should "not deserve to play" because the coach in detroit was an idiot and the denver experiment was just that and everyone thinking AI might hinder the sixers growth then tell me what did elton brand do again? And how about if everything you heard was true would that really be something as bad as say "pacman jones numerous criminal incidents or the host of others who like ricky williams have made serious mistakes yet has come back wiser/more focused? All I am saying is that those youthful mistakes or alledged mistakes by him are not reason enough to blackball him and if we are true sixer fans then we should be very pleased to know that one of the greatest to wear the jersey is back to help our team who has lost almost 10 games thus far. I would like him to end his journey back home after all if it wasnt for him its unclear(past 15+yrs if any other player would have come to bring nearly as much energy,excitement and heart to represent the city so well. If he doesnt adapt it would be a shame , but its my hope that he is humbled, more willing fit and ready for an encore run. Its alot of "ifs" no matter which way they go right now imo but all of us want them to gel and win....Lets go sixers !!!