First-Person Report: Sixers vs. Pistons

Mike,

I kind of "lost it" after this game last night. I have been a full season ticket holder for the last 7 years and after losing to the dredges of the NBA I made a declaration that I would not renew next season unless there was a drastic change. There is no way with the personnel on this Sixers team should ever lose at home to that Piston team or have we over valued the talent on this team ? As a paying customer I am curious to get your thoughts on would you or are you going to continue to patronize this franchise that has been going downhill since 2001 ?

Mike reply to Rob_STC on Dec 10 at 11:10

there is still a lot about attending nba games that i find fascinating. the culture within the arena is something you don't get to experience anywhere else. i'm an nba junkie, so i will probably always enjoy going to games as long as at least 1 team on the court interests me. lately it's been the opposition unfortunately, though i really do enjoy watching iguodala play.

As Season-Ticket holders, have you heard anything about the normal Executive meetings with your crowd coming up, or do you think that will be more toward Jan-Feb.

I remember it was one such meeting that inspired Croce to dump Greenberg-Davis

JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 10:55

There was also a rare Tony Dileo sighting.

How rare? Just curios if he's watching the team thinking i gotta coach this mess again?

As for the 'fans' - of course they want Iverson - that's why they showed up on Monday - it's not about wins or losses for them it's about Iverson

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 11:18

i'm sure he's there every game, but this was the 1st time i've seen dileo on the court this season

Did anyone think there was any chance you'd be saying, "Man, they would've been better off sticking with DiLeo," only 22 games into the season?

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Dec 10 at 11:26

I kind of ran a poll on LB about who you would rather have coaching the sixers right now, Cheek, Dileo, and Jordan (Eddie not Sams) and it's neck and neck between cheeks and dileo with EJ a distant third

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 11:46

my vote would be dileo

JohnMagee reply to Mike on Dec 10 at 11:51

I left Cheeks in there because I think maybe CHeeks got a raw deal, he had to try and integrate brand, and that's not easy, and it turns out that 'no plays for thad' may be the best way to coach him because he openly admitted just a couple weeks that plays confuse him right now.

I don't think Dileo got a 'better' record out of the sixers than cheeks would have gotten...i think if cheeks tayed, the outcome of last season would have been pretty much the same.

Not sure I agree with that. It was unforgivable for Mo to insert Green into the starting lineup IMO. DiLeo didn't have Brand, so while it was still a stupid move, he had less options.

Cheeks got the team to defend, though.

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 11:57

i didn't hear that quote from thad. that is pretty troubling.

JohnMagee reply to Mike on Dec 10 at 12:02

It's from the memphis commercial appeal - the game in memphis - hold on

Full Link

"It's been hard, I'm not going to lie," said Young, whose season average dipped to 12.8 points per game on 42.3 percent shooting. "We'll have certain plays where we're supposed to make a cut and set a screen here, or set a screen there, maybe receive a flare screen after you pass the ball. It's a lot to try to remember on one play. It's going to take time."

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 12:10

that was kind of to be expected early on though, not so bad

JohnMagee reply to Mike on Dec 10 at 12:13

"A lot to try to remember" on one play bothers me...I mean what has he had to remember in other systems, maybe he's never had organized plays to remember.

I recall both DiLeo and cheeks both saying they didn't have 'called plays' for Thad - and then something like this comes out it makes you wonder if DiLeo and Cheeks were leaving out the second half of the statement "We don't run plays for thad...because his bball iq isn't high enough to remember them"

It's a disconcerting statement to me

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 12:28

i definitely hear you. i'm just looking at it from the perspective that it will take young guys some time to learn an entire new offensive scheme. that was like 3 weeks ago, so hopefully he's picked it up since then.

JohnMagee reply to Mike on Dec 10 at 12:32

I have no idea if the sixers are running the PO more or less often or if Thad had picked it up any more since then - i can't bring myself to buy league pass now that Iverson is on the team

Mike reply to JohnMagee on Dec 10 at 12:46

i have never really been able to tell whether or not they are running the PO. i see a lot of dribble hand offs, and guys coming off back screens with 2 options for the ball handler on either side of the court. so i assume that is the PO. but they are certainly not generating any easy buckets because of it.

I probably would too.

From Hollinger's chat:

Sean (Philly) - So the Sixers have dropped 11 in a row and anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that Allen Iverson is not the answer (no pun intended). What do they do? Brand and Dalembert are virtually unmovable, so do they try to move Igudala? Maybe something with the Rockets for McGrady?

John Hollinger - Of course he's not the answer. If he was the answer they wouldn't have been able to get him for the minimum 20 games into the season. He's a stopgap solution until Williams returns. Sixers real problems are at other end -- Eddie Jordan has never coached defense and apparently decided Philly wasn't he place he'd start.

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Dec 10 at 12:56

What do they do?
Move Iguodala?
Rockets for Mcgrady?

Guy had three 'questions' in his question - Hollinger answered none of them :)

He answered the statement :)

JohnMagee reply to Brian on Dec 10 at 13:03

I want some potatoes

i was at the game last night and it was god awful. the crowd was not really into it like a normal sixers game and it was just really boring to watch. i had a good time though because i love going to nba games plus i got thad, iguodala and lou's autograph AND i was the only one to get a high five from tony dileo.