Iverson Out: Wonder Who Gets the Start

Rare thing in life to find a situation where the answer actually is less important then the question. That fact that we even have to ask is so very revealing on so many levels.

But, we already knew he sucked, didn't we?

BTW, am I the only one whose is mildly amused by the Tragicomedic irony that Jordan's Losing Percentage as the Sixers coach is precisely 76%?

As sadly fitting as Sean Bradley's jersey number during those great years.

Sixers' roster with Speights AND Lou back will be extremely crowded

this means the actual mess - dumb starting line ups, stupid rotations etc etc - is going to get significantly worse, even if that's pretty hard to believe

Jason Smith and Kapono already got DNP CDs or few minutes in the last games (same for Ivey but I guess nobody cares about him, sorry), while Carney got 1-5 minutes, imagine when Lou will be back....

Vs Boston, any coach with half a brain would start Brand AND Sam, so expect Green to be there at tip off, you are right Brian.

I predict a reversal of the Warriors game, with Sixers getting outrebounded 59-26, lol

Another reason why the starting line-up does not matter this game is that they lose either way. I actually don't mind trying to mix things up against a team where you are inferior at most positions. The only real problem I have with going small is that it involves Willie Green- who is a losing BB player.

JohnEMagee on Dec 18 at 9:48

The more you damage your bones the more you have a chance of arthritis, it's no surprise that Iverson has some arthritis.

I sprained/broke my left ankle a lot when I was younger, sometime in graduate school i stepped in a hole and sprained it bad, upon x-ray they found bone spurs and 'onset' arthritis due to the injuries...this was between the ages of 22-25...i only have arthritis in my left ankle, but i do have it.

You figure the amount of damage and physical punishment Iverson has taken a case of arthritis in certain parts of his body isn't out of the question.

Just saying

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 18 at 15:19

Nice comment. I'm in medical school, and I was going to post something similar. We see a lot of young people with arthritis in the hospital. Surprisingly, it's not a serious detriment on the basketball court.

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Dec 18 at 15:35

Well, mine doesn't hurt a lot (but i'm much less athletic than i used to be, volleyball is where i got most of my injuries), and even when it does hurt it's nothing viscious, but I would think Iverson probably has a few more 'centers' of arthritis than just one ankle.

I'd also have to think it's pretty harsh on him cause he's not the type of guy who sits unless he absoultely CAN""T go

Inviolable Fandom on Dec 18 at 9:49

Sam
Thad
Rodney
Iggy
Jrue

Now that's a line-up. Really I'm curious to see if Thad's recent string of double doubles is for real.

Kate Fagan just said Jrue, Willie, Iguodala, Thad, Dalembert are likely starters.

Not really a shock.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 12:08

Hey we're 1-1 starting a short line up - that's 500 baby - you don't mess with that kind of success :)

When as a coach you have tasted victory only 9 out of the last 43 games you treasure what got you the wins.

It's the players' fault. Mostly Elton Brand and Andre Iguodala.

Green:

-in Sixer wins averages less than 15 minutes. 6pt/1.5/1.5
-in losses averages more than 20 minutes. 8.6pt/1.8/2.6

Will we hear tonight "Willie Green has it going on..."?

Yep, every time he hits a bad jumper.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 14:07

That's a Tommy Point

Rob_STC reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 15:15

We knew Willie was going to start because he likes Brand off the bench. But here is Jordan's other comment. He is starting Thad at the 4 because he wants to establish the "pace".

Court_visioN on Dec 18 at 14:19

I think I'm indifferent to starting Willie tonight because I don't mind seeing him chase Ray Allen around screens. I do like the Iguodala-Pierce matchup and I think the one big area where the Celtics can hurt the Sixers tonight is on the glass with KG and Perk matched up against Thad and Sam (depending on which Sam we get tonight it may not be as big a factor) but I think if Brand and Speights can get minutes the frontcourt won't even really be a mismatch. It comes down to how well Willie can stay in front of Green and whether Iguodala can win the matchup against Pierce.

Probably not a win but I do think it will be fairly close.

I don't know, I mean, do the Sixers win one matchup among the starters? Possibly Iguodala if he has a really good game on both ends, but that's probably it. And as far as benches go, we have Kapono, Ivey, Smith, Brezec and Carney tonight (I think Speights is out) vs. Sheed, House, Shelden Williams etc.

I don't see how this game is close.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 14:45

Is it possible that the 'best' match up in the sixers favor is dalembert versus perkins?

That's likely true.

Its why I'd prefer the big lineup, letting Iguodala and Thad work in the post

Jesse reply to Brian on Dec 18 at 15:22

If the big lineup started, I'd argue that we have advantages at both the 2 and 3 (and less of a disadvantage at the 4). Especially this season, Pierce is incredibly slow. He gets his points on the offensive end, but I can't see him sticking with a quick as hell Thad on defense.

Thad on Garnett should be interesting to see how he holds his own rebounding. I just hate that EB only got 7 shots each of the last two games where he made 5 each. The Cavs game was when he was getting them on O boards too. Jordan may try and limit his touches tonight actually.

He's saving Brand for his next team.

iverson isn't playing tomorrow against the clips either