Keeping Up Appearances

Kenneth on Dec 22 at 6:43

Completely agreed Brian!

Eddie Jordan is clearly a coward and making decisions out of fear and convenience. He's not making tough decisions that GOOD COACHES make...namely, decisions that help the team WIN GAMES.

This is exactly the reason why the Sixers are 7-20, losing all these games that could be won, if the coach simply put his best players in the game and put them to good use.

Coach Eddie Jordan needs to go! He's a terrible coach that doesn't know how to utilize his talented players and has no clue how to run a winning NBA team.

Don't think Brand/Young works well either. I'd go with Brand/Speights as starters, but if you are going small with Thad at PF I'm not sure it matters much whether Brand of Sam start at center.

Great post Brian. I disagree on one point. It does matter who starts. It seems like by the Brand gets in, we're always losing. It's never preferable to have to play catch-up all game.

Very valid points on Eddie's crazy yet non-creative starting rotations.

I would think that a starting line up of Speights and Brand would be coming, or at least be attractive to EJ because of the quick offensive start the team would get off to with those two in the starting line up. Clearly getting stops early isn't the priority, so why not put out the best offensive unit the team has to give us the best chance to get us off to hot starts.

If the team went in the logical direction of starting Speights and Brand they would really be helped by AI coming off the bench. Don't know if he'd agree to it, but having a professional scorer on the second team (along with Jrue to set him up) would help offset the loss of firepower.

JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 9:57

Well the starting line up tonight involves Jrue/Lou back court according to the papers (no actual surprise), Iverson is reportedly not going to be available until the 28th at the earliest, so that's when Jordan really has to make a 'decision'

How about just using AI in the 2nd half... that way his knee won't swell up at half-time.

Just trying some of that out of the box thinking everyone has been talking about.

johnrosz on Dec 22 at 10:41

How many games do you guys think this team would win this year with a proven head coach? (Lets say Doug Collins had been offered the job in the off season)

35?

johnrosz reply to tk76 on Dec 22 at 11:08

I agree with that number. While its infuriating to watch EJ fail to make winning adjustments, I'd rather just stick it out than win 35 games and take a lesser player in the draft. They need to break this awful cycle, and EJ just might be incompetent enough to help us out of this mess. The process would be so much easier if he just never spoke at all.

Wire the braces shut?

ryano reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 11:15

If Dileo had kept the job after last season, I think we would have been looking at up to 45 wins. He knew the players and gave them freedom to play to their strengths. Being a front office man, he also wouldn't have been afraid to give minutes to Jrue and increase Speights' minutes on the floor, because I think he'd be looking at the long term success of the team more than Jordan is now.

With that said, I think any coach would have been off to a slow start with the injuries we've had, the fact that it's taken Brand a couple months to get his legs under him, and the fact that we are a very young team. But the biggest difference would be the second half (or last 3/4 of the season) success this team could have seen with a better coach vs. what it looks like we'll see with Eddie Jordan.

Dileo did not give Soeights any minutes in the playoffs. I think he was in Dileo's doghouse.

Maybe that helped his motivation to come out this year and dominate?

Could be. Speights minutes dried up frequently last season, presumably because he was giving zero effort on the defensive end.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 13:07

Doug Collins? WHens the last time he coached well?

johnrosz on Dec 22 at 11:47

I think they were terrified with the prospect of matching him up with either Howard or Lewis on D in the playoff series. I felt like Dileo got a raw deal as coach, he did a decent job for a rookie coach in the nba,and for a while there they were gaining an identity with thad as the go to guy. Iguodala bitched about Dileo not being vocal enough after the season. One of the many reasons i do not like Iguodala.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 11:50

i think much like Chris Ford, DiLeo gets a lot of praise for getting a team to do exactly what was expected of them, I bet given a full season mo would have done the same thing.

People also forget that DiLeo is the reason the sixers draft well, make him head coach permanently for achieving mediocrity and you screw the current AND future roster.

DiLeo didn't deserve the full time job - Sixers only gave it to him to save cash - but neither did Jordan.

Jordan sucking doesn't mean DiLeo was the answer

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 11:59

I think he is miles ahead of Jordan. Players knew what their roles were, they played hard and defended under Dileo. I would actually like to see Dileo step into the GM role after Stefanski gets fired, whenever that is...

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 12:04

I agree that dileo is miles ahead of Jordan but that's more because Jordan is a god awful NBA coach than DiLeo is a good one...that was kind of my point, in comparison to jordan even mo cheeks is missed by many, and pretty much everyone wanted Mo fired (i never wanted him hired)

"i think much like Chris Ford, DiLeo gets a lot of praise for getting a team to do exactly what was expected of them"

I'd cut off my left nut for a coach who could get this team to do exactly what is expected of them, or play to their potential. So would about half the teams in the league.

DiLeo did a good job in that he took himself out of the equation, evaluated his roster and put the right pieces out there to get them to play the best basketball they could. I would've preferred more of an eye to the future, but I didn't have any problems with him as the coach for the period he was in charge.

I was ready for him to go back to the front office, though, for the reasons you state here. He's more important to the franchise there than on the bench. I just wish they could've replaced him with a passable NBA coach.

Make you wish they had a stat like VORP in baseball, instead it could Value over Replacement Coach instead

johnrosz on Dec 22 at 12:02

Just one more thought on Dileo as the GM, if he'd been in charge back in the day, AI would have actually had some help, as Dileo is on record as wanting Nowitzki and Pierce over Hughes in that draft...the guy knows what he's doing

I agree to a certain point because you are right. Simply put, EB is a professional and Sammy is not. Still, Sammy seems to have been a pretty good teammate at the end of games when he is now routinely on the bench. He looks like he is into the game and if not leading the cheers, at least a good part of them. So I guess that's been a pleasant surprise no matter if it's just for chemistry's sake. The question is, if Sammy is like this at the end of games when he's getting no time, why do I feel like that he would pout about starting? It's almost like a "Sammy being Sammy" thing. He needs to hear his name called in introductions, pick up a couple of early fouls, and barely play the rest of the way.

My guess is Sam gets down on himself and blames himself when he gets pulled after playing badly. But if he is not starting he blames the coach.

the guy's ego is as fragile as an eggshell. Like Knux calls him at realgm, he's emo Sam.

Yeah, I completely understand that Sammy probably needs to be in the starting lineup to be kept engaged, but does anyone else think it's a little messed up that when Iverson comes back we're going to have two guys in the starting lineup, who arguably shouldn't be, but MUST be kept in there to keep them from having meltdowns and/or crying to the press about it?

And honestly, the team is 7-20, who cares if they flip out at this point. Obviously what they're doing isn't working.

JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 12:47

When Jim O'Brien brought sam off the bench he whined
When Sam didn't finish games under dileo last year with less than 5 fouls - he whined

Sam's history is to whine when he doesn't get 'his minutes' (his term, not mine) - maybe he's suddenly turned a corner - but I don't see benching him going well...anything to improve his trade value

His trade value will be as a 12M expiring next year.

But, like with Miller, that value will matter more to the Sixers than other teams. They will let him expire and pocket the saving to help their lousy cap situation (it will go into the Philly Max Fund.) Next year I really doubt the Sixers will be willing to take any money back in exchange for Sam's expiring.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Dec 22 at 13:06

Hey - isn't it the holidays, aren't all you crazy heathen christians supposed to be full of good cheer and such...GIVE ME MY DREAMS damn it :)

JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 12:54

For those who don't want to torture themselves watching the sixers tonight, the games tonight on ESPN have some itneresting prospects to look at (first and second rounder) in my opinion. Cole Aldrich is currently the fourth ranked prospect on the DX board (coincidentally if season ended today and lottery went to form, the sixers would pick fourth), and I think he's a guy who brian will like. Xavier Henry projects as a #10 pick but doesn't really fill a seixers need per se...

There's a guy on Texas that I like, yes he's a second round pick, I know this, watch Dexter Pittman play off the bench, he kind of bitchslapped UNC in Dallas this weekend, and then listen to how dude came into Texas at close to 400 lbs and worked hard to lose weight (he ain't done yet), plays with an energy and effort that makes him that big man off the bench the sixers probably will need some day.

Just something to do if you don't want to watch the disaster in dc

I need to see Aldrich play. I just want a smart guy who can rebound and defend at the five, that's it. It wouldn't hurt if he was really athletic too.

Rich reply to Brian on Dec 22 at 13:04

Not really athletic as far as being explosive, but a smart and sneaky shot-blocker and a solid rebounder. I take him as a taller Kevin Love who can block shots defensively. Offensively, he's pretty polished too.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Dec 22 at 13:08

I know Brian is going to like him because of his defensive ability and effort...on a team with the sixers maximizing their offensive weapons at the other 4 positions , i think the primary focus on the center is the defense...

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 13:00

I don't want any part of Aldrich, I'm not sure if his game will translate to the NBA. I like him but if we're picking in the top 10 i wouldn't go near him. I really like Xavier Henry though from what I have seen, he picked my La Salle Explorers apart(granted they suck) but he looks to be a natural scorer and hes already got an NBA body.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 13:03

funny

Aldrich to me fits exactly what Brian wants and yes his offensive game is VERY raw but I think it's THERE - i think the 'low post' big man ability is there - this is a guy with good instincts to me - defensively - shot goes up he's boxing up - i didn't see him defend a 'true' big man - michigan hangs around the perimeter - but he stayed with his guy and still got in position to get the boards...

Henry is a good player, but another 2 in the top 10 for the sixers - i mean yes I agree draft the BPA - but at that point you seriously have to look to trade someone

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 13:19

A lot is going to depend on whether EJ is even here next year...I don't see Jordan wanting a defensive minded anchor so to speak. I like Favors from GT,he would be fun to watch next to Speights...but yeah i guess i just want Henry because i could see his jumper becoming automatic at some point, and I think the fact that the Sixers version of a knock down jump shooter is Willie Green is a little disturbing

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 13:23

DiLeo drafts for this team, the last time they ignored DiLeo and listened to the coach they drafted Larry Huges, they better not be listening to JOrdan about drafting

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 13:37

Well Favors is still very very raw, he's going to need to add some weight and continue to develop. I've heard him compared to a less explosive Josh Smith. His ceiling is probably a lot higher than a guy like Aldrich, and with the Sixers situation, I'd rather take the guy with the highest ceiling if i can't get Wall

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 13:44

I agree take the BPA, Aldrich projects at 4 on the most reliable site I've seen and the sixers pick at 4 right now all things being equal (Favors projects higher) . I thought the Nets were going to get better when they got healthy but that doesn't look like it's going to happen, and the T'wolves still suck...actually as of today the sixers would be 'third' in the lottery, but I expect them to 'improve' as everyone gets healthy and end up with a mid lottery pick where even Aldrich would be gone anyway...

What I saw from Favors on Sunday wasn't a lack of development, it was a lack of effort and drive...FSU has A LOT of bigmen - and he seems just easily discouraged by it all...just my impression.

"I watched favors Sunday night against FSU and maybe it was a bad match up or a bad night or he had the flu, but I was REALLY unimpressed, Ed Davis was also unimpressive against Texas."

I like what I've seen from Favors, but need to see more before I declare him definitively top 3. I'm not an Ed Davis fan. I don't see his post game translating to the NBA (for more reasons than just his slight frame).

There's no such thing as a reliable mock draft at this point of the college season/draft process.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Dec 22 at 14:20

I know it's early but I trust DX more than I trust Ford or NbaDraft.net (traffic seeking whore) - and I know it's early but it gives me an idea of what teams to look for on ESPN and the FS channels since i got no league pass this year...

I'm not going to argue with you about DX being the best of the bunch :)

But, in all honesty, if we could get away with it we wouldn't have a mock draft at this point in the season.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Dec 22 at 14:30

If it were me (unsolicited advice, you know i'm awesome at that) - i'd do 'groupings' - 'possible top 5 picks', mid lottery, etc...but much like pre season rankings I understand you 'need' to have mocks up

Of course that doesn't explain the 2011 mock :)

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 13:56

I've only seen Aldrich play once, and it was against Michigan this past Saturday. I was very unimpressed with him. Michigan only had one forward in the starting line up, and Aldrich had 3 inches (at least) on the guy and ended up with 5 points and 11 boards. Michigan had zero size and Aldrich didn't take advantage of them at all. It was a close game, so Kansas did need big minutes from Aldrich but got a small performance.

I like Henry much, much more than Aldrich. NBA body with a smooth jumper. Kansas has played 10 games and he's still shooting nearly 50% from three. I could see him being at least a Chris Douglas Roberts type player with a good three point stroke. True centers are ALWAYS a bigger risk than their guard/forward counterparts. Aldrich is no sure thing, especially for a top 5 pick. Let's go safe, ride out Sammy for another year and get someone on the coaching staff who will convince Speights it's worth playing D.

JohnEMagee reply to ryano on Dec 22 at 14:02

You don't 'go safe' in the draft - you draft the best player available.

The sixers may screw MANY things up - but they seem to draft well - i'm confident in DiLeo in this area assuming Eddie Jordan is told to shut up.

People have compared Wesley Johnson to a smaller Shawn Marion, what do you think about his pro prospects?

Chad Ford (1:59 PM)
I love him. Shawn Marion isn't a bad comparison. I think Josh Smith is another possibility. I think he's a lock for the Top 5 at this point.

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 14:08

Johnson has been struggling latelyreally project him to be a Shawn Marion type, I dont know if thats the best fit for the sixers going forward. The last thing they need is another hybrid/athlete type that can't shoot. Thats why I really want Henry or maybe Willie Warren(assuming they don't take a big), Henry should be a very good shooter one day and has the tools to be an above average defender.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Dec 22 at 14:09

Again, I want the sixers to draft the best player available

THere are people out there who say a team like Utah shouldn't draft John Wall if they have Deron Williams, or the nets cause they have devin harris.

When you draft that high - you take the best player on your board and work it out...

Shot selection. Need to see much more of it for Johnson to be a top 5 pick. At this point I wouldn't touch him that high.

13.2 ppg over his last 4 against bad competition.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Dec 22 at 14:11

I haven't seen him play at all :) Just posted the comment because Favors was compared to Josh Smith earlier...that's all.

I defer to others expertise when it comes to evaluating the draft picks - i just know what I like to see - and like I said one game only - Aldrich is the only one who impressed me at all...in the lottery at least...

johnrosz reply to Derek Bodner on Dec 22 at 14:14

Any chance that Henry will jump into the top 5 by the draft?

doubt it. He would have to show a lot of improvement in ballhandling and creating to get there IMO.

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 22 at 14:16

I've been keeping tabs on Johnson all season as well. He looks really good, and he's shooting a very high percentage as well. Much better stroke than Marion. Right now Johnson is shooting 54% from deep. Another plus to Wesley is that he's playing for a great coach, who I have a lot of respect for. Syracuse produces great pro players.

As for Aldrich, I don't see his upside being that high, so I wouldn't say picking Henry is safe, but coupled with the poor overall track record of upside centers with the fact that I don't like his game- that's what would lead me to stay away from him.

I saw that game and agree Aldrich looked bad... like Ostertag out there. he also made some horrible passes.

But I assume he's looked much better in other games, or he would not be so well regarded.

johnrosz on Dec 22 at 12:54

No player on this team should have an ego with 7 wins.

Inviolable Fandom on Dec 22 at 13:19

You are absolutely correct. Coaches certainly must manage egos in this whole thing.

Btw does anyone think that moreso than losing miller losing Reggie Evans really hurt the Sixers?
I mean we score alot of points. So thats not really an issue. It seems like everytime we have a good defensive play we just can't get a hold of the ball. We block a shot they get it right back and score. We contest well, o board, score. We strip the ball and it dribbles right back into the opponents clutches. Plus kapono hasn't been even decent and we've really improved from beyond despite him. Reggies job used to be pretty simple: get the ball. He was great at it.

I'm officially pushing for the return of Reggie Evans. Not that he'll see the floor under Jordan being offensively inept and all.

JohnEMagee reply to Inviolable Fandom on Dec 22 at 13:23

No - i don't think losing reggie evans hurt the sixers one bit.

He is horrible

ditto.

Losing Reggie is one of the few positives this season.

Since Jordan's manifest incompetence is the Sixers story that trumps all others, how long do you think the organization will wait before replacing him? I ask because I couldn't even guess.

Above question precipitated by Jordan saying yesterday, "We still have a good rhythm and a good chemistry about ourselves."

He's starting to remind me of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf ("Bagdad Bob").