Swish Cheese

You can only go 'up' from here.

Only three teams in the league force their opponents into more long twos than the Sixers.

Isn't this a good thing or did you mean 'fewer'?

Another, insightful breakdown of the numbers. It's nice to know there is empirical data to back up the crappiness we see. The GM has access to this data, right?

Good eyes. It's fixed above. And yeah, everyone in the world has access to this data.

Just 2 years ago they were #8 in Defensive Rating. Now? #29

That is pretty shocking.

I tend to think Sammy's 10 minutes less a night is a very big factor.

Why exactly doesn't Sammy get 30 minutes a night?

deepsixersuede on Dec 30 at 10:22

Some interesting comments by Saunders on hoopshype about our illustrious coaches last team."They have been known as one of the worst defensive teams in the league the last 5 years". Thank god we have some guys that want to defend here, [Sam,Elton,Iggy,Jrue]. Other than Butler and maybe Haywood who on their roster gives a shit?

It was Jordan's perfect roster.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Dec 30 at 10:28

Is E.S. worried enough for his job that he does something outragious at the trade deadline. You hear names like D.West and Okafor out there and he never gives a clear idea what the plan is here, unlike Presti in Okl. City who seems to have a clue.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Dec 30 at 10:31

You hear names like West and Okafor because New Orleans is desperate to get under the luxury tax number, they are currently 3.3 million over, and I guess that's more important than showing Chris Paul you want to try and win...

There's very little the sixers can do to help a team get under the luxury tax since most of their off season non-moves were motivated by the same thing, avoiding the luxury tax.

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 10:35

Paul says all the right things but he must be steamed inside.I was thinking ,amount of years, more than per year on the contracts.They seem to have soured on Okafor quickly.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Dec 30 at 10:39

I don't think they soured on Okafor quickly, I think it's all about money and they just like West 'better'. Reports are they have to move 'someone' - they aren't moving lots of folk - they're 'only' 3.3 million over so they don't have to move everyone. The rest of the league 'covets' West while the Hornets reportedly would rather move a guy like Okafor or Peja.

It's not a basketball move, it's a money move, they're desperate to avoid the luxury tax and everyone knows it, and after Paul West is the most coveted asset.

Already two trades purely for tax purposes have gone down, minor, but still all about avoiding the luxury tax, and the hornets got screwed by devin brown yesterday so they are still more motivated by fear of a tax payment than actual smart basketball moves.

There are teams out there that can take advantage, the sixers aren't one of them.

And when the cap lowers next year, I expect the sixers will be one of those desperate salary dumping teams

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 10:42

Sounds like Brown did screw them; question, I thought the trade kicker was independent of the cap, like a cash sum, but does it count towards it?

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Dec 30 at 10:44

I'm not sure exactly how it impacts the cap but i know that it does somehow (the coon FAQ is a good source for stuff like this, brian knows it as well i'm sure), and that just exacerbates the problems trading Sam Dalembert.

That's right folks, Sam Dalembert has a trade kicker.

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 10:48

Well we better get him outta here [Jordan] or L.Will., Thad and Marreese will become unsaveable.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Dec 30 at 10:47

Larry Coon FAQ has a question specifically that answers yours

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 10:49

Thanks, John.

West and/or Okafor would be outrageous. Probably not smart, but definitely outrageous.

Brian, could you possibly sometime do a comparison to how we were doing last year at this time (we were real bad than too). Would love (ya'll know what I mean) to see the comparison and get more depressed.

I feel like a hypocrite these days. I like when the 76ers when but hate EJ so much, I love when they lose! Only because I want him gone quickly. And, then, deep down, I really believe we are stuck with him because it makes too much sense to get rid of him!

I can't do it through a certain game last season, but I can take a quick look for the season. They were allowed too many threes to be taken (5th highest rate in the league) they allowed too many shots at the rim (5th again), but they defended at the rim very well (7th best) and they were average at defending the 3 (14th PPS in the league).

Of course, they forced more turnovers, did a better job on the defensive glass and they were without Brand for all but 29 games as well.

The Sixers are going to be over the tax next year. They might do something drastic (say give away Jrue to have someone take Kapono) in order to avoid spending money.

This is part of why I'm so concerned about the Sixers being bad and having huge contracts. They might be more motivated to save money than to get better. Like last Summer they left the MLE on the table even though they had room under the tax. They did not even spend it on a one year contract. That was a 100% financial decision.

What do you think of something like Dalembert, Lou, and Kapono for McGrady and David Andersen? I'm not a big McGrady fan but it seems like a good way to shed some salary if Houston would take it.

I like how the trade machine says that according to Hollinger's analysis, I have decreased the sixers projected win total by 10 - that means that we had been projected to win at least 10 more games!

JohnEMagee reply to Nick on Dec 30 at 13:33

Why would Houston do that?

Nick reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 13:57

I think Dalembert could actually help them and Lou's contract isn't ridiculously bad - I don't think Houston would get too much more for an overpaid guy who also has had injury and character issues.

JohnEMagee reply to Nick on Dec 30 at 14:03

He's a guy with a 23 million dollar expiring contract

That's all he should be seen as - who cares about his character or injury history - he's a big fat expiring contract and you think the Rockets should take back the sixers flotsam and jetsam to give them massive cap relief for next year?

The Rockets already refused to take Jared Jeffries, cause his contract is too long...

Numerous reports indicate what the Rockets want for McGrady - your offer includes none of it (sorry Lou isn't a young upside guy, he is what he is, a bench player)

Nick reply to JohnEMagee on Dec 30 at 20:39

If the Rockets want building blocks then so be it, but I just don't see them getting too much more than something like Lou/Dalembert, since those two guys, though they have weaknesses, can at least contribute unlike someone like Jeffries. I don't think too many teams will trade legitimate building blocks (e.g. a guy like Iguodala) for McGrady and his expiring contract. Maybe they don't mind keeping McGrady though.

There's a good coach available. Maybe he can do BBALL.