Dirk Is Coming

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 17:14

I've heard rumblings that Howard, Dampier Iguodala and Dalembert may not play tonight

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 17:27

Because very little makes sense to the sixers this season - they'll win tonight

nice picture Brian!

The Greek on Jan 22 at 18:21

It's almost as scary as the pic of Dirks ex/girlfriend/convict

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:26

Twitter from Kate Fagan

'2 minutes ago'
Jordan starting same starters tonight: AI, Lou, AI2, Young, and Dalembert. But Jordan said he's considering re-inserting Brand into lineup

'1 minute ago'
W/ Brand possibly starting for Young. Or possibly starting for Lou and going w/ an AI, A2 backcourt.

Gee Coach - why would you be re-inserting brand into the line up?

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:33

This excerpt from ESPNS weekend dime

One NBA front-office source told ESPN.com that the Sixers would also be amenable to moving Lou Williams in the right deal. The 23-year-old guard was previously thought to be a Philly untouchable.

Louis Williams untouchable? Are you fracking kidding me?

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:39

Do you think they may bring A.I. back? Is attendance still up? Trade Lou for a more compatible player that can hit a 3?

The Greek reply to deepsixersuede on Jan 22 at 18:42

Trade lou for an expiring contract and or draft pick. I like Iverson but there is no need for him to be back, it onlydetracts from Jrue's development.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Jan 22 at 18:44

I don't think they bring back AI next season - it would be bad all around on and off the court - i think lou wliiams isn't a starter

I think lou williams 'untouchable' is just an indictment of the front office - the future is Jrue/Iguodala

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:46

Iguodala will be a goner, book it.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Jan 22 at 18:51

Chris Mannix tells twitter-verse that Dalembert/Iguodala isn't enough for T-mac because the rockets want 'a star'

I think the T-Mac deal is going to get done - the closer it gets to the 18th and that looming luxury tax shows up - the sixers will lower their asking price, instead of brooks or Ariza they make it lowery and a top 20 protected first round pick (or less) - because the rockets don't NEED to trade T-Mac but the sixers feel they NEED to get under the 2011 luxury tax (projected) now.

And how psyched will those fans be that iguodala is gone and WE GOT T-MAC

The Greek on Jan 22 at 18:40

He should be the first to go

The Greek reply to The Greek on Jan 22 at 18:42

Meaning Lou

I probably agree. Ideally, you'd be able to trade Brand because I don't think he'll be a big time contributor when the "young core" is ready, but right now he doesn't have any value. Maybe if they'd start him and play him 35+ minutes a night for the rest of the season he'd have more value this summer.

I'm pretty confident that Lou, at that price, is replaceable and they could do so at pretty much any time. His contract is the one I'd be looking to shed now, if he has value around the league.

The Greek reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 18:49

Why would Jordon play his best player(Brand) for 35 minutes when he can play him 28 minutes a night? FKN clown that he is

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 18:49

Lou (& Willie) are fungible...the comparison I always use is Eddie House - no one gives long term deals to Eddie House - he's a guy off the bench who brings some points and little else.

Look at James Posey - Had a nice playoffs - NOH over pays him for a long term deal - whoops - he's fungible - guys like lou and will and house and posey are the 'middle relievers' of the NBA - you don't give em 5 year deals :)

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:55

With the economy what it is, Bench players salary!s will be like Carney!s this year. If we only signed a physical banger instead of Bresec [Voskuhl ?] maybe Marreese could get more minutes with Elton being able to start.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Jan 22 at 18:56

need a smarter coach :)

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 18:45

Yahoo starting line up does not list Elton Brand

deepsixersuede on Jan 22 at 19:03

Houston has some nice young players, one is a 2 guard Sixers worked out and liked [J.Taylor], hopefully if they make this foolish trade we get some good young assets. Lowry backing up Jrue would be nice also.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 19:03

Brand AND Holiday starting

What? Tonight?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:07

Yes, but I won't be surprised if we see our first 'half time line up adjustment' in the last 3 years that isn't injury related

We've already seen it twice this year, I believe. Jrue got pulled at half on his last start, I believe.

Someone laid down the law.

what do you guys think about stefanski's interview yesterday? do you really think something big will happen before the deadline?

The only big thing I want to see happen is Eddie Jordan out on his ass.

Tyler reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:13

me toooo more than anything right now. tonight is gonna be a fun game to watch though im really happy jrue and brand are starting.

about the trade though i say get rid of lou if you can he is god awful and shouldnt be paid that much if he is just coming off the bench and plays that kind of d.. if you can call it d.

Maybe they traded Thad and Lou. :)

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:08

For Delonte West

Having Iverson back makes Lou redundant. They excel and suck at most of the same things, except that Iverson does the things they do well much better and more consistently than Lou.

The only difference is that Lou is young enough to be part of a bright future (as a combo guard off the bench--not as a starter). But if moving Lou helps us not have to move Iguadala, then I'll trade him for a bag of balls. An offensive-minded combo guard for the bench can be found down the line.

If Iverson is getting 25-30 minutes a night, I don't see the team suffering at all with the other 65 backcourt minutes split among Jrue, Iguadala and Carney.

Besides only a retard would be dumb enough to play Iverson and Lou at the same time--I mean that backcourt would just get smoked, right?

I ask you this, Jordan has avoided this lineup like the plague. If he finally relents 42 games later, isn't that another nail in the coffin if they win by 20?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:16

If they win by 20 - i'll give you 20 bucks

Promise? I'll fly to CA to collect.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:18

yes if the sixers beat the mavs by 20 tonight i'll donate 20 bucks to the upkeep of depressed fan (after the 1st - pay day)

What if they lose by 40?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:31

That's not a surprise :)

Who's that #42 guy? he looks decent.

JRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!1

just seeing that quick shot by jrue tells me he is taking after eddie jordans systems...shit.

Jrue and EB starting. Wow...

J.R.U.E.

Wow what a dunk! Like to see more of those from him.

That fast break with Jrue finding Iguodala, that's what I want to build around.

The unit here kind of weathered the storm after some poor shooting early.

This lineup with a shooter instead of Iverson is a top four team in the East with a coach who knows what the fuck he's doing. I'm 100% confident in that statement.

Jrue probably coming out now.

Nope.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:27

It's like they aren't even playing well against a good team, but they can freakin compete. A better defensive mind on the bench and a shooter who is competent in other areas at the 2/3 and we could have something.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 21:43

Word, bro.

Gerrymac on Jan 22 at 19:26

I say trade a package with Lou, Kapono, Green, and Young. That should be the best way to relief some cap space.

Brand needs to work to get the ball deeper when he has Marion on him.

this 2nd unit coming in unfortunately looks all too familiar

Yep, Willie's coming in now, I think. Wonder if he'll come in for AI9. Wouldn't surprise me.

Jrue in 8:50 - 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 assists, 0 turnovers.

8:50 and then Jordan gets the little people back court in there.

This unit is noticeably worse defensively. They scramble and give up wide open shots. Jordan probably will say they did their job all the same if it's a wide open look and it rims out.

gerrymac on Jan 22 at 19:31

Jrue definately needs more confidence on his shots.

Yeah, it'll come. He needs one to fall, streaky right now.

Victorino looks like he packed on a few pounds in the offseason.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:35

Thanks for reminding me about that contract

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:36

I can't believe the money they gave Blanton. Letting go of Lee was an effing joke.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 19:37

Joe Blanton costs an average of 8 million dollars per year for 3 years

Cliff Lee would have cost more than that - and the phillies have a budget

The Victorino contract means that Werth is most likely gone unless they can find a team dumb enough to trade for Ibanez

NYM?

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 19:43

Lee for one year is a better bet for a WS than Blanton for three. I want to go for the kill this year. What does Lee make this year? Isn't it only like 10 mil? I really don't know baseball salaries, but getting rid of Lee is difficult, especially if it's a 2 mil difference. I understand they want to build for the future.

Back to hoops though...

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 20:19

Well shooting your wad one year and then sucking the next five is the way the marlins do things

bebopdeluxe reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 21:46

Letting go of Lee is the sign of a GM who is planning to have this team compete for years...and I like it.

Aumont and Gillies are going to be on the 2012 roster. The two picks we would get for Lee would be in Lakewood.

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Jan 22 at 21:53

Or the phillies could have just traded for Halladay to start with...and saved some of their own prospects - they gave up exactly what they said they didn't want to give up and projecting those two guys as starters in 2012 is overly optimstic - at best case scenaior.

Speaking of prospects - the phillies still have none at short or 3rd - which is kind of awesome

bebopdeluxe reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 22:33

Galvis is good with the glove. He played in Clearwater at 19 - which ain't bad. No big surprise that a 150 lb. 19-year-old struggled with his offense in high-A - but any question that he's a better prospect than Hewett? He projects to plus-defense at the position, which is really important for 2012, when they let Rollins walk.

3rd base is a problem.

Heh, this lineup is a complete fucking joke:

Speights, Thad, Iguodala, Willie, Lou

That was a nice pick Lou just set on Thad.

Ugh, Thad being eaten up by Marion on defense.

Strong take by AI9. Simple rule of basketball- Get to the line, feel better, get confidence on the jumper back.

gerrymac on Jan 22 at 19:35

I betcha EFJ will keep Lou, AI, Green, Iggy, and Young for most of the game.

zig reply to gerrymac on Jan 22 at 19:37

maybe the genius who convinced EFJ to start the defensive lineup will give him a phone call at the end of the quarter

Only down 1 after one. They'd be up if they could control the defensive glass.

Wonder if Jrue gets two runs tonight, start the game, start the third.

Oh man. Is that Kapono in for Iguodala? Worst defensive lineup in history.

yes! jordan put another defensive stopper in. jason kapono= defensive player of the year.

This is amazing. Lou, Willie, Kapono, Thad, Speights.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:44

I sure would rather see Lou, Willie, and Thad get their minutes like this instead of the alternative - starting. Even if they are together.

Jordan has wood. Trading baskets, no one defending.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 19:42

No one on this team can guard nowitzki - shut everyone else down

As enjoyable as watching the starting lineup was, this is like having teeth pulled. This coach is such a joke.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:46

The only teeth that matter right now are the ones with braces on them :)

Invisalign anyone?

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 19:46

This unit is pretty much holding serve, so far. The starters didn't really shut the Mavs down either scoringwise.

Gotta love this quote:

Asked who would come off the bench if Brand starts, Jordan said, "That's another thought process. Do you go back to when he was starting, Andre was a guard. Do you put Andre back at guard and keep Thad and Elton in? Do you replace Thad with Elton? We want Allen to start. Can Allen and Andre co-exist starting in the backcourt? We'll see. I don't know if Allen wants to be sort of a point guard to get it going."

Might as well bend over and buy stock in Vaseline, huh EJ?

JohnEMagee reply to rswknight on Jan 22 at 19:48

. Can Allen and Andre co-exist starting in the backcourt? We'll see. I don't know if Allen wants to be sort of a point guard to get it going.",

If only Allen And Andre had played in the back court together before right?

I know, right?

But you gotta remember, EJ can barely remember who he puts in the game he just coached, much less games that happened 4 years ago.

lol

Thad to the line. Notable.

1/2 from the line. Predictable.

Rinse and repeat.

Thad for three. Maybe he's a little pissed he lost his starting job.

zig reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 19:53

i think he would be a great bench/depth player. a 6th or 7th man. he seems to play with more purpose.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 19:52

Did Speights just get an assist?

Heh, I can't help but laugh at the fact that this lineup has taken over the game.

Surprisingly good effort defensively from these guys. When I mean "good," I mean adequate.

Thad looking good. Albeit with unreasonable people around him. He needs to play with a legitimate lineup to show what he has. Or trade him. I hate him playing at the 4 with Speights.

zig reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 19:55

are you implying that he play the 3? that is ridiculous.

Rich reply to zig on Jan 22 at 19:59

Even playing the 4 with like a Carney, Iguodala, Jrue 1-3 guards and Sammy.

Scoring with this lineup is nice for this game but it is an absurd lineup to sustain any sort of continuity and good play. It's just hard to see this having any sort of meaning going forward.

He's feeling it though. Great dime by Iggy on the last one as well.

Alvin reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 19:56

Lou and Speights work well in tandem and can score, we know that. It's a shame you have to surround them with three good defenders (e.g. Jrue/Brand/Iguodala) just to partially cover up their defensive inadequacies.

How many minutes did Kapono play in the second without taking a 3?

NBA - where redundancy happens.

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 20:00

Oh he took one alright. A too-damn-long one and then didn't get back on a leak-out by his man.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 19:58

Amazing what a benching will do for some guys. Simply amazing.

Yup. He hasn't looked like this since that stretch late last season. Still only 1 board in 12 minutes, though.

Cubes looks a little pissed. Wonder if he'd like to trade for Thad now.

gerrymac reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:04

Young looks pissed

I'd love to see a stat for assists that lead to open dunks, something called "home run assists."

Iggy would be high in that category.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:03

Good strip by Dala. But the behind-the-back pass can rest please. But Lou did convert.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 20:04

Question - did EB play any in the 2nd, before just coming in for Thad?

No. Holiday got that first run and then rotted. He has fewer minutes than Iverson, Lou and Green.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:13

Irrespective of players and minute designation, hard to argue with that first half.

Dallas got blown out by Toronto recently. Sometimes they're lazy. I wouldn't give out any coaching awards for this half.

eddies' heady's reply to Tray on Jan 22 at 20:36

It wasn't coaching awards, it was players and effort awards.

marion has the ugliest shooting form i have ever seen in my life

Watch out to see if Thad does his disappearing act after the interval.

And if EJ puts Jrue and Brand back in the game at all.

I guess we won't see many minutes from Holiday today.

Alvin reply to g on Jan 22 at 20:08

Starting him gives EJ the excuse to play him less I guess.

Up by 6 at the half. Anyone feel comfortable?

I would've preferred a starting lineup with Iguodala at the two, Thad at the three.

As for Houston, would they have any cap space left in the future if they traded for Andre and Dalembert? If not, wouldn't they have to be pretty confident that an Iguodala/Ariza/Landry/Brooks/Yao/etc. team had the makings of a champion? If not, why do the deal? And who's to say that that team would really be so great? I have a tough time projecting how good that team would be. Things could really click, but I could also imagine them not being a whole lot better than they are now.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Jan 22 at 20:20

They won't have enough cap room to get anyone better than Iguodala this off season and Sam is a solid back up to the oft injured yao

If they're smart, they cut ties w/ Yao when his contract expires. I believe they'd have cap space that summer.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:22

That's next summer isn't it - sam would expire that summer too - so even taking on Andre they probably still have some cap the summer of 2011 if they let sam yao walk -0 it'a a one year experiment and they still have Iguodala - sounds smart to me

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:40

Well, that's why I ask these questions. I'm a poor capologist.

They'd only have something like $25M on the books, and they could even cut it lower than that. They have a bunch of guys w/ team options and buyouts.

My theory.
Ed S met with EJ after the last loss and basically told him the lineup he wanted and if he didn't want to use it he was a goner. Ed S was either going to the press yesterday with a new coach or slyly tossing hints out that change was coming to show who is in charge.

They'll never admit it, but I think it's pretty clear Stefanski told him what the starting lineup was going to be tonight. Jordan's response was to play a No-D second five for more minutes, and they played well. Interested to see what happens in the second half.

My bet is the Mavs make a quick comeback here, then EJ goes all offense for the fourth and we lose.

sfw reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:29

I'm sure you are right about that. EJ feels he was proven right by that 2nd qtr. I'm sure he will screw up as the game goes on.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:26

Mavs weak bench play - motivates him to get Sam/Iguodala?

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:29

Dirk and Terry getting very snippy at each other.

Look at the faces Dirk is making. Clearly not a leader.

Jesse reply to Brian on Jan 23 at 2:58

enough

Dallas has 3 turnovers and 2 shots blocked and went scoreless in the first 3 minutes of the third. Yeah I know Dampier missed 2 FTs but it's a sign that when the lineup is on the floor the other team can find it hard to score.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:30

Time out for what now?

AI is 2-11. This is Willie-esque. Somehow he hasn't been finding people with the ball today, instead going for his shots.

Mavs in a zone, Sixers looked lost on that first possession.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:35

There goes the defense

5:10 for Jrue in the 3rd. Probably done for the night.

FYI, the starters were +2 before this sub.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:37

but the sixers only had like 4

2 points in the first 5:10 of the quarter for the Mavs, remember that.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:36

Since speights and lou entered - two easy baskets for the mavs

go offense

Good lord, stop shooting threes.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:39

but they're open looks

LOL when I mentioned Thad's disappearing act, I didn't think he'd score 18 in the first 2 Qs and not see the floor after that.

eddies' heady's reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 20:41

Oh, he's coming.

JohnEMagee reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 20:41

Did he come in in the first - thought it was just the second

yes he scored 18 points - with 2 rebounds and 0 assists

boy can score can't he?

Considering EJ was making offensive-oriented subs, one would think he would look at the guy who dropped 18 in little over a quarter's worth of time...

Just a thought

Alvin reply to rswknight on Jan 22 at 20:46

I think whatever heat he had in the first quarter has long gone by now.

That was the 2nd, mostly. Still, if you were going to make an early sub in the 2nd half specifically to address an offensive lull...

gerrymac on Jan 22 at 20:41

You think this team would be a top 4 team in the east with Larry Brown as head coach. I think so.

JohnEMagee reply to gerrymac on Jan 22 at 20:42

no - i don't - they don't have a deep enough roster

bebopdeluxe reply to gerrymac on Jan 22 at 21:52

Maybe not top 4, but above .500 and a PITA in the playoffs.

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Jan 22 at 21:53

still losing in the first round of the playoffs

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 20:43

Iguodala leads the team in assists and is second in rebounding?
Jesus christ that's ridiculous

While also being the leading scorer.

JohnEMagee reply to rswknight on Jan 22 at 20:56

god he's awful

The only way the Sixers don't shoot a jumper, it seems, is if:

1) Brand gets the ball in a good position
2) Jrue finds someone next to the basket
3) Iggy finds someone next to the basket

Since Brand and Jrue find minutes to come by and Iggy finds himself on the floor mostly with AI and Lou (who love their jumpers too much for God knows what reason) or Sam (who drops one of every two good passes in the paint) it's understandable why this team shoots so many Js.

Come on, win the 4th quarter by 8.

Now comes the hardest part of the game...can't wait to see the rotations.

The offensive lineup held them to 10 points in the final 6:50. That's excellent.

Good court awareness, Willie.

Pinckney just said Speights has to front Drew Gooden on the post. Drew Gooden.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:55

It would help if he stopped him though.

Speights showing offensive prowess and defensive ineptitude.

Alvin reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 20:55

I hope you weren't expecting anything else.

Rich reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 20:58

Nope.

Jrue played 14 minutes so far...starter's minutes?

Maybe stefanski didn't specify when he ordered Jrue to start...

gerrymac reply to Jeff on Jan 22 at 21:00

I guess EFJ is looking to get fired.

The AIs combined: 5/24 from the floor. The rest of the team: 25/46.

Jeff reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 20:59

If only we got McGrady for Iguodala...

I think this game shows that Lou, Thad and Speights are what they are: quality bench players. They can start for the not-so-good teams, but if you're talking contender these guys have to come off the bench.

JohnEMagee reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 21:01

Speights is in his second year and doesn't yet have a coach making him play defense, young is on his 3rd coach in 3 years - i'm not ready to write EITHER of them off just yet (i'd yank em from any game where their defense lacked or they were poor off the glass)

I've thought Lou was a bench player for a couple years now

Rich reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 21:01

Interesting and I agree but I don't think that this proves it. Lou and SPeights are playing starter's minutes.

Rich reply to Alvin on Jan 22 at 21:03

Disagree about Thad though.

Alvin reply to Rich on Jan 23 at 8:33

I think it's kind of what Brian mentioned, the fact that they're playing much of the time when the other team has its second unit out. That way it doesn't hurt us as much as having them killed defensively by other team's first teamers.

Granted when Speights learns to play a bit more like a big man getting the points in the paint, and putting in some effort on defense he can be a starter, but I'm gonna believe it when I see it.

I have liked Thad from his rookie season but he hasn't developed much as a 3 and he shouldn't play many minutes as a 4 against most starters, and his defense has been below par so I figure he's best utilised in a scoring role off the bench. Plus I agree with DeanH and Brian on the Jrue/AI/AI9/Brand/Sam lineup. It's easily the best Sixers starting 5 I've seen for many years.

7:37 to go, Sixers by 14. Come on Carlisle, get your studs out of there. This screams 20-point win.

Come on, tighten up the D!

20 is within reach. Damnit, Speights blew the bunny then Kapono w/ the and-one foul on Barrea.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:02

Barea 1 on 4 break easy score WITH the foul - awesome defense boys

gerrymac on Jan 22 at 21:03

Here comes Dallas!!! This lead will blow to shreds soon.

Josh Howard basically hands the ball to Speights. Pinckney's response, "That's good D."

gerrymac on Jan 22 at 21:06

Where the F is Brand? WTF?

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:07

9 point lead under 3 to go

GET HOLIDAY IN YOU IDIOT

He's done for the night. Told you, start the first, start the third. At least it's two runs instead of one.

Jeff reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:10

but Willie Green has filled the role of defensive stopper over the last few years...

Someone tell Zumoff it's not a good game if you don't score 20 points. What's he thinking complementing Iguodala.

Rich reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 21:14

Nah man stuffing the stat sheet is hollow on this team if they don't win. Oh wait, they did win tonight. I guess it counts then?

Jeff reply to Brian on Jan 22 at 21:16

Sounds like propaganda to me. The real fans can see through it, though!

Yay, Jrue for garbage time.

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:15

Man, y'all are funny, so dwelling on the rotations:)

That was a good game, a well played one.

How long can you just continue to dwell on the negative? Shit...

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:17

That's right you all - one win - that solves all the problems - it was awesome - championship roster here they come.

They've won 12 other games - they still are a crappy team

It's kind of hard to shake the negative shit when you're 14-28.

It was a solid game and a win over a good team. Let's just say I'm not exactly sold that the second unit is going to defend like that on a regular basis.

Because rotations will have more impact in the long run - as in consistently winning.

Harmony and effort for the win!

This game is going to do damage in a number of ways. Oh well, at least all of Jrue's minutes came in a good lineup, which is probably more valuable than seeing him out there with Lou at the two and Willie at the three.

Finally, a nice win. Can't wait for EJ's press conference. EJ's happy. He proved his point that the short on defense - long on offense lineup works.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:18

Someone watch the post game I want to hear how eddie dances around "I changed the line up cause I was told to"

Let's get excited folks, they're a 333 basketball teams

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:19

When you go uptown can you get a deluxe apartment in the skyyyyyyyyyyyy?

eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:22

For the weighted +/- lovers, and the great stat it is:

Lou - +11
Thad - +10
Marreese - +16
Kapono - +9
And the favorite, Willie - +9

Now,... that's a stellar bunch.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Jan 22 at 21:25

Those aren't weighted +/- scores, those are actual +/- scores, there's kind of a difference.

And in one game it means nothing and alone it means nothing - but sure keep mocking things you don't understand

eddies' heady's reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 23 at 16:07

"..but sure keep mocking things you don't understand"

You talking to yourself or something?

Lovers - people who love the stat

Weighted - to place said stat in high regard

And who's not understanding again?

You know, the win does feel good. I'm glad they were able to pull it out at the end. I would've liked to see Jrue and Brand in there for the final half of the fourth quarter, but I guess not with this coach.
Speaking of which, this means more Eddie Jordan.

JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:30

4th road game in 6 days for the mavs, maybe Cuban was very impressed by certain sixers today and will give comcast the help they need

gerrymac reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 22 at 21:31

What to buy this team?? I wish...

JohnEMagee reply to gerrymac on Jan 22 at 21:37

There's a rumor regarding the mavs, sixers, and a horrible trade (for the sixers) that gets them out from under next years luxury tax

EJ- Emphasized the bench, didn't want to give the Mavs a hint of starting lineup, EB has been good and a man, they have gotten the ball in EB's hands.

Paraphrasing- We thought we needed more D than the Lou and AI backcourt (Wow, is he admitting this?). WE WEREN'T GETTING HURT WITH IT (Oh, no, not at all), but we thought we could have a little more with Jrue.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 21:36

Hmmm...stefanski yesterday emphasized the impportance of defense and how the defense needs to improve and that he thought Brand should start.

Now, if only he listens to what he says and ups Jrue's minutes

Rich reply to Rich on Jan 22 at 21:36

That was all said during his press conference. They only showed a little on CSN.

I dropped off a short letter to Stefanski tonight at the ST table. To summarize:

1. Please do not trade IA9 atleast till ....
2. Fire Jordan now and allow the team to play for 3 weeks with a coach.

Lastly, stated:

My favorite starting lineup would be:

Sammy, Elton, AI9, AI and Jrue. And, note, who started tonight.

So, does that mean Ed S is going to do the rest of my letter??????

bebopdeluxe reply to DeanH on Jan 22 at 22:19

Well played, sir.

So are you now the new Sixers President of Basketball Operations? Maybe we should more properly address you as Mr. DeanH.

And good decision making on your part.

FYI,

I am a paying fan. I have the right to express my opinion, obviously I am not very well qualified. And, I do not expect Ed to listen to my opinion but atleast I feel better!

All I honestly want is EJ to be done as our coach. And,since I just heard on CSN that EJ is going to stay w/ this lineup for the next 10 games (yea right), I guess we will have him as the coach for alot longer.

No, seriously, you are off to a great start. Hope Stefanski continues to follow your directions :)

Statman reply to DeanH on Jan 22 at 23:38

Dean, I wrote the following yesterday under the "No Brandon Roy, No Problem" post:

A sensible starting lineup at this point (not that the coach ever does anything sensibly) would be Iguodala-Brand-Dalembert-Iverson-Holiday. That would leave a high energy group of Thad-Speights-Lou-Green to come off the bench (or Carney for Green). The defensive shortcomings of that group would be offset by the fact that the opponent would also be playing its (supposedly) less offensively-capable reserves.

I guess brilliant minds think alike!

This is also the lineup Brian and I both agreed upon a few weeks ago on the radio show.

Statman reply to Derek Bodner on Jan 23 at 11:56

You're right, I remember that! Any chance that someone on the Sixers listens to Sixers Beat? Or is it just that that lineup is so obvious that even a historically bad coach can think to play it?

Or be told to play it by his GM...

great crowd tonight. shane victorino talking to mark cuban was weird.

So maybe the starters "set the tone" with solid defense?

Anyway, quality win with the right starting line-up. Plug in out lottery PG next year for AI. Liked what Lou/Thad/Speights brought from the bench. And this game sort of showed how elite defense is less important from your second unit- probably because second units are less equipped to pick you apart for your defensive liabilities.

Now can we have Jrue start for the next 15 years? Let his minutes gradually increase, but let him run with the starters and have Jrue/Iguodala/Sam set the defensive tone.

Also, I'm probably crazy, but I believe if they stick with this starting line-up and explosive bench they will be around .500 or better for the rest of the season. Long term probbaly hurts them (and keeps EJ longer) but not all bad.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Jan 23 at 0:20

27:36
29:10
24:02
15:12

Sigh

"explosive bench" - see that presumes that Lou and Thad will continue to play the way they played tonight - what this season has shown that 'consistency' is a watchword for guys like this...Thad can score 18 points in a half and then vanish for 3 games...ps - how does a guy who scores 18 points in the first only score 4 in the second - oh yeah he has the worst coach in the league.

It's one game - it's a nice win - but I'm not convinced anything has changed and the numbers at the beginning are why