The Only Rumor That Interests Me

JohnEMagee on Jan 31 at 12:17

Mitch Lawrence has more or less credibility than Peter Vescey? Discuss

We can only pray...

JohnEMagee on Jan 31 at 12:22

All I can say that if this is the move the brass wants to do - they better have the next GM candidate in place and they better move quickly, or they're not getting a move done before the 18th (whether that's good or bad is another story)

The only way I see both of these guys getting fired AND a major trade happening is if DiLeo takes over as GM. You can't bring a guy in and give him a week or two to properly evaluate the roster and make a major decision. DiLeo's familiar w/ everyone, and I assume he's been consulted about all the offers that are on the table. Honestly, if there's no big name on the radar right now, I'd give the job to DiLeo for now and make McKie the coach.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Jan 31 at 12:34

That is my question, if Deleo is the coach, and the purse strings are tight, who in the organization is an "intermin g.m. ". That term really sounds ugly!!

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on Jan 31 at 12:31

DiLeo gets inserted as interim basketball czar, and his only task is to get the young guys some run, give over practices and the majority of coaching to McKie and company, and really focus on the draft while figuring out what we really have with our current roster. Don't go after any major roster changes, but listen to any offers. Make it through the rest of the season with the hope of a top three pick and give McKie enough rope to see if he has what it takes to coach full time next year. I'd be 100% on board with moving in this direction.

Happy days are coming if this rumor is true. I will renew my season tickets at first request if this is true.

I would renew my season tickets also.

Hopefully the point is gets across to Snider.

Duracorr reply to Brian on Jan 31 at 14:24

Firing EJ and ES and not making any silly give-away trades would make me renew. Firing EJ alone and not making any silly trades would be enough for me. I could give ES another year.

I can agree with that also. But, from all I read, I don't see Ed Stefanski not making a bad trade if he is still around. But, if Jordan is gone, that would be a great start alone.

He must be just teasing us Philly guys with this rumor.

The fact that the Philly papers don't know about this doesn't surprise me(assuming there is some truth to it). They don't have a history of breaking big stories regarding the Sixers(See A.I-SAS for example).

JohnEMagee reply to ojr107 on Jan 31 at 14:05

They also don't have a habit of making things up (see the long storied history of SAS, and the new york writers, and sam smith)

Yeah, I think the fact that this was in the daily news and not any philly media outlet takes away from the credibility of the report rather than saying anything about the philly beat writers. at least that was the point i was making.

I'd rather play the string out with Eddie than start playing well and end up with the 8th pick.

I'd say the #8 pick is pretty likely with Eddie here coaching to save his job, maybe even worse, something in the 10-14 range. If he plays 7-man rotations with huge minutes for all the starters (except Jrue) we're going to beat most of the bad teams no matter how bad of a coach he is.

Tray reply to Brian on Jan 31 at 17:42

Well would you rather have the 8th pick or the 13th pick? Whoever replaces this guy will make us better. Eddie's been trying to save his job for a few weeks now and we're still the 4th worst team in basketball.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Jan 31 at 17:58

That all depends on the 'mandate' 0 if the mandate is to get guys better and you see jrue and young and speights playing 30 MPG - you won't get better

Great to finally hear a "good" rumor. And I dount we would hear much before the axe would drop given there are not multiple parties involved for there to be leaks.

I'm a bit concerned about DiLeo as interim coach. I did not like how he used Lou only as a scorer last year, rarely used Speights and ran Thad at PF. But maybe that would change if he was not in make the playoffs mode.

I'm also fine with no moves until the summer. The ONLY moves I'd really want to see at the deadline:

-Move Brand (all all signs point to no (chance.)
-Move AI to a playoff team where he plays a bench scorer role. (again, unlikely.)

IMO they'd be better served just keeping their current roster and playing the young guys heavy minutes.

mike reply to tk76 on Jan 31 at 18:45

i mean, isn't lou only a scorer?

edededdie on Jan 31 at 15:27

The guys at PhillyArena has a pretty good offseason plan

Charlie Ace on Feb 1 at 10:33

I'm with you all the way Brian. Any trade made now would in all likelihood be a bad one.

I think I know why the Philadelphia papers would not have a rumor that is in the NY papers: the Philadelphia writers don't do dig for news that they don't get from the front office. The new writer, Kate Fagan, is good and will get better, but the others are lazy.