Big Change?

JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 17:05

I expect a fire sale trade, jordan being allowed to ruin the team for the rest of the season and hten him being fired...and someone who the sixers don't have to fully pay (byron scott for instance) to be installed...and thus another year of player development is wasted.

What I want to happen is the immediate dismissal of Stefanski and Jordan - no interim GM - target your guy - pay him what he's worth and then let him do whatever the frack he wants.

Of course since luxury tax matters more than basketball it seems - I know that's not likely either.

I'm reminded of a famous pugilist or wrestler who when wasked what he expects in an upcoming match his answer is PAIN

bebopdeluxe reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 22:03

That was Mr. T in Rocky III, when asked for a prediction for his upcoming fight with Rocky...

"My prediction?"

"Pain"

(classic stuff)

Kate has a new blog up, check it out here. I especially liked this quote from Thad:

"Before the season Randy [Ayers] worked with me all the time. I told him I was fine, the way I was shooting, but still he chose to work on it a little bit."

It's good to know defense isn't the only thing Ayers has fucked up.

Also, Jordan makes more asinine comments about his rotations, and Kate points out that the guy has no clue what he's talking about.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 17:12

Thad

Could you tell me what Randy Ayers did to make you useless on defense and rebounding? (Or has he always been useless and he scored lots of points and we never noticed)

Just saying, Thad has LOTS of problems this year - he's severely regressed - not just shooting

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 17:21

I'm with both of you. On one hand, I believe that Ayers definitely could have fucked up his shot. That's ridiculous if it's true, because doesn't Thad work with freakin Mark Price in the summer. And Ayers thinks he knows more? I don't know maybe he taught his sons well (both good players and good shooters), but to step in with Thad when one of the best pure shooters of all time is working with him. Wow.

Thad needs to look in the mirror for the rest of his deficiencies, many of which are all on his shoulders.

Statman reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 18:48

The more I hear him talk about his rotations, the more I'm convinced that he substitutes based on the whim of the moment. He essentially said as much when talking about Jrue's 2nd-half DNP: "as the game goes along it just depends on how I feel about who I want to put in." But my favorite quote was: "for some reason I just didn't want Jrue in the game at that time." For some reason makes it sound like it had nothing to do with logic, which was probably the case ...

Back in 1995, I remember listening to John Lucas on his "Sixers coach" radio show with WIP (I'm guessing that Jordan doesn't have such a show now?). Anyhow, the 94-95 team was awful (preceding the even worse 95-96 team), and one caller was just excoriating Lucas for the team's poor play. Finally, Lucas answered, "Well, what would you do if you were the coach?" That's when I knew that the Lucas era wouldn't end well, because he really didn't have a plan for the team. (As I recall, the caller answered, "I don't know, but you're the one who's getting paid to coach the team!") In many ways, Jordan reminds me of Lucas. He really doesn't know what's going on and what he intends to accomplish.

(Happy postscript: I didn't realize this until I was checking Lucas' record: did you know he was involved in helping the Sixers get Iverson [coached the Sixers in 95-96] as well as helping the Cavs get LeBron [coached the Cavs for part of 02-03]? That's why Jordan might last the season.)

In other horrifying news, it took me 14 clicks today, and the Sixers wound up with Cole Aldrich 11 times out of the 14.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 17:17

Well I don't think the sixers will draft aldrich - i liked him at first, more i see him play, more distressed i am at his lumbering and inability to not lose breath.

Don't worry - it took a guy at libertyballers 2 clicks, so on average it only took 8 - so it's all good anyway :)

Been reading a few ESPN chats today and John Wall is no longer the consensus player of the year

Duracorr reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 17:55

Who do they say is the consensus player of the year?

JohnEMagee reply to Duracorr on Feb 2 at 18:30

That's just it - there is no consensus any more - Wall is having a bad week, evan turner is paying amazingly so for college he's seen as a contender for player of the year - but not necessarily a better nba prospect :)

They are tied for 8th worse record. If the end up 8th their chances are 2.8%, or basically 1:35. They would also have a 3% and 4% chance of getting the 2nd or 3rd pick, so maybe a 5% chance overall of getting a top 3 pick.

OK, let's say it has to be a complete house cleaning or nothing at all. In other words, if the Eds are replaced, Iguodala goes by himself (i.e. without Sammy and Brand) in a deal that is a pure relief move. Would you do that? Let's say Sammy is thrown in to the deal too, but Brand's contract proves immovable. I am almost at the point where getting rid of Jordan is simply priority number one and I'm ready to sacrifice a lot to make sure that happens.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 2 at 17:18

There's no way i'd expect any moves to be done if the see and speak are fired - but a salary dump that only includes Iguodala AFTER such a firing would really piss me off unless it nets the Nets top pick

I voted for "Dumb and Dumber Part 2" to be outtahere...but I know that is probably just wishful thinking...

JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 17:27

Here's a question I have

Why would a good coach (say a doug collins) take the sixers job?

Roster is a mess - mis matched parts for a variety of reasons
Franchise is a mess - ownership more interested in saving money than buildnig a team and looking to hire a coach on the cheap so no 'good coach' is going to get paid what they're worth.

The sixers job is just very unappealing these days

Only way to get a huge name (and I don't think Collins really qualifies, he's too far removed) is probably to offer the guy both jobs, or at least final say on personnel decisions. JVG may demand that, and I'd give it to him, to be honest.

Agree. But personally I think most "big names" are not the best suited for rebuilding jobs. I'd rather find the right lesser name coach and then upgrade to a "zen master" type once there are actual great players and egos to contend with.

I think a lower profile coach can effectively lay down the law with a young team, unless they are undermined.

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 20:15

I think to bring a guy like Collins or JVG in, for example, you could keep DiLeo in his current job...let him over see the draft (which he seems to be pretty good at), and have him be a Heckert-like guy to report to Collins/JVG.

I don't think Collins is too far removed. You could argue that Hubie Brown was even further removed when he took the Grizz job, and all he did was win COY. The top color guys on TV are pretty plugged into what they are covering...you could even argue that - because they in essence have to follow the whole league to do their job - they may be even better positioned than an assistant coach.

I prefer Collins, as I said, but I would be thrilled with JVG. And I guess I don't think the roster is as fucked up as some believe it is. We have a PG. We have a PF. We have a pretty solid defensive C. If you simply stick Iguodala at the SF, we've got a 3. We have good young talent on the bench (Thad, Speights, Lou, Smith, Carney). We need a quintessential SG...and we get that either in the draft or by moving one of our young assets (like Thad or Speights).

That is why I don't want to see us do ANYTHING other than to get "Dumb and Dumber Part 2" out of here. Let McKie roll these guys out there...see if Snow would join the staff for the remainder of the season....

Please?

Duracorr on Feb 2 at 17:50

I voted megatrade-salary dump because that's what I think will happem (my worst fear), but that isn't what I want. I want Eddie Jordan removed and a first-time coach brought in. I believe that a championship team requires a championship-level coach as well as a superstar. None of the retreads are likely to suddenly become Jackson, Reilly, Brown or Popovich once they come to the Sixers. If E Stefanski will admit to his mistake in Jordan, I'm OK with him staying. I don't see the Brand and Iguodala contracts as blunders. Sure he might have signed AI9 for $10 M less if he pushed harder, but he had no way of knowing the market was going to drop a year later.

But don't you think ES is under pressure to win now? If so, how can he be an effective GM when the team needs to think more long term.

With ES, I think its more a problem of the baggage he has and not whether the choices were "mistakes." Regardless, he is judged by their current struggles, and is likely motivated to tray and make the playoffs, which is the wrong objective this year. The AI signing was proof of this IMO.

Yeah, ultimately, it wasn't the Brand signing or the Iguodala signing that sealed ES's fate, it was the Jordan signing. He made that decision and he hasn't done anything to correct it. I don't know how he can have any trust capital left in the bank with ownership. If he gets rid of Jordan and keeps his job, I think an immediate improvement would probably be expected, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

I like the guy, I think he made one horrendous decision, and I wouldn't have a problem with losing Jordan and keeping ES if he clearly stated to the new coach that the rest of the season was about development, not winning/losing, but I think that's a stretch at this point. He's under fire just as much as EJ, and rightly so.

khouse reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 18:47

Precisely why, if he's thinking trade, ES will try to bring a piece/s back (possibly Stoudimire as I voted)! By doing this it would, at least, give the appearance the team is hoping to improve & be competitive!

Duracorr reply to tk76 on Feb 2 at 18:08

He may be under pressure to win, but wouldn't his successor be as well? It might be an easy sell to his bosses to forgo willing this year for the future benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan or ES. I just think his only really poor decision was Jordan - losing history, wrong system for the parts, no "D".

There may be less pressure on a new guy. He's coming in to assemble someone else's toys, there's really no expectation right away, I'd think. In fact, I'd think he'd want to see the young guys on the floor to get a feeling for what he has. ES would be making a coaching move to improve the team because he believes he's assembled quality pieces, and their play on the floor reflects directly on the job he did.

If he fires Jordan and they still suck, then maybe Jordan wasn't the only problem.

JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 18:31

Re the pending celticspocalypse - paul pierce, broken foot - out for about a month...if they are the 5 seed this year i'll laugh

deepsixersuede on Feb 2 at 19:27

I voted that Joran gets fired, but I want both Ed!s gone. I called W.I.P. this weekend [2nd time ever] because B.King was on and asked him about our choice of coach, assistants that work with this roster, and why Thibedoux isn!t a head coach yet.He must have to keep his comments vanilla in hopes of getting back in the league but he mentioned Dw. Casey as a good defensive coach and how Minn. has gotten a lot worse since he was let go. He said, as was discussed here before, that Thibedoux is a little rough around the edges as far as being the face of a franchise and handling the media but if he can coach, that shouldn!t matter.

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 20:30

Talked to an NBA source today and was told that teams have interest in Iguodala and are willing to take his contract, but not giving the Sixers enough back. Keep hearing they wouldn't deal him just for an expiring contract.

That's actually really good news, I just hope that doesn't change as the deadline nears.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 21:05

I think the deadline is so far off now that teams are being cautious not making their best offer, but teams need to make moves, the cavs can't be comfortable with their guard issues, the celtics are old, the mavs are losing their 'dirk/kidd' window soon, the suns need to dump Amare. I expect very little to be done before the ASG.

What i'd like to hear is that

A. The Kings really are interested in sam (Kenny Thomas and some other expirings)
B. Someone wants lou williams - for an expiring

Get rid of those two and CAN KEEP IGuodala

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 20:32

Jordan on how hard it is for reserves to find a rhythm with changing rotation: "Well, they have to find a way. It’s their job to rotate in. Nothing is really set in stone. It’s not easy to come off the bench, no matter how good you are. They have to get used to doing it."

Duracorr reply to Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 20:52

Isn't it the coach's job to put the players in a position to succeed? Jordan makes it sound like he expects the players to make themselves successful despite what he does with them. While it's OK to challenge the players, he should structure those challenges and tell the individual players exactly what he is doing and what he expects from them. That is the essence of coaching.

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 20:46

Heard there's some interest in Dalembert, but not as much as Iguodala.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 21:07

The rumor is that the Kings have interest in Dalembert...would comcast be willing to pony up three million to off set some of that trade kicker and take back expiring contracts from Sacto? Kenny Thomas and the contract of mikki moore (according to story tellers) is 11 mil so that should be close.

The question is not what the interest is in Dalembert but what teams 'require' from the sixers to TAKE Dalembert.

I'd like to know if Portland is a legitimate trade partner as well...

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 2 at 22:02

Am told Sixers don't really want expirings.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 22:12

For Iguodala maybe

But I refuse to believe avoiding the 2011 luxury tax isn't a motivation in trade dealings, or else why not give Miller a few year offer instead of just one year

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 20:48

Jordan on if he feels obligated to go back to guys in second half after they play well in the first: "No, I don’t. I was relying on those guys (the starters) to make plays down the stretch. For some reason, I just didn’t want Jrue in the game at the time (Sunday's second half)."

"For some reason..." Well isn't that what he's being asked? What was the reason?

bebopdeluxe reply to Brian on Feb 2 at 21:13

THIS is the coach that Stefanski entrusted the franchise to. THIS is the coach that Comcast will owe $8 million to over the next two seasons.

And we want this guy to hire ANOTHER coach? We want this guy to make a franchise-altering trade?

EPIC FAIL

Lucas might be available for a lottery special. Maybe he can bring in Dumas and Mad Max as assistants. Maybe DC can have joint title of Big Man and Strength/Conditioning coach.

"for some reason I just didn’t want Jrue in the game at the time..."

That is right up there with EJ's all time quotes. Alsong with the Best offensive players are my best defenders and his lines about puppies who never learned to bite.

BTW, who wants their puppies to learn to bite? Unless you are Vick isn't it better for your dog to be well behaved?

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 2 at 21:43

"for some reason I just didn’t want Jrue in the game at the time..."

Follow up qustion "Coach, when do you want Jrue in the game?"

He's just trying to channel Red Aurbach. Its a complex process that is not easily described. Mere words are insufficient.

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 22:01

Young on coming off the bench: "It’s very hard sitting there watching the entire first quarter, second quarter, third quarter for however many minutes I sit in a row. It’s very hard. I can only control what I can. It’s harder that way, so sit there to start the game watching and to have to come in and get warmed up. Every time I come in the game, the first two or three plays, somebody scored on me because I’m not warmed up. It takes two or three plays to get warmed up and ready to play."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 22:10

Thad watches different games then we do - he gets scored ona lot more often than that

Tom Moore on Feb 2 at 22:04

Sixers already have $65 mill in guaranteed contracts for 2010-11 (not counting No. 1 draft pick), so they couldn't be a major player in 2010 free agency even if they get McGrady (which is unlikely). They could have more than $10 mill in 2011, when Dalembert, Kapono and Green come off the cap.

Thad will have a 7.5M cap hold next summer (250% of his current salary.) Smith will have a cap hold of 5M, but they could renegotiate or let him walk before the summer. So I doubt they will have that much cap space assuming the cap continues to come down.

So if they cut Smith (renounce his cap hold) that would put them at about 47M. Add 3M for a high draft pick gets you to 50M. That does not leave you much under the cap (with the cap headed down.) Now if you cut both Young and Smith you will only be at 42M.

If you renounce a player you cannot sign him (unless you are under the cap.)

bebopdeluxe on Feb 2 at 22:07

Just a thought...what if the reason that Iverson has been gone for "personal reasons" is that he's just about had it with the freak-show that is EFJ...watching Jordan fumble his was through Sunday's game against the Nets...watching the team fall apart...and is saying to himself, "I'm getting paid $410,000 for THIS?"

And if he HAS just about had it...and he can't deal with Jordan anymore...and he's thinking about saying "fuck it"...would you blame him?

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 2 at 22:11

Iverson has carte blanche to do whatever he pleases, play as many minutes as he wants, he probably just wanted to rest his knee and avoid practice...

Duracorr reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 2 at 22:27

AI3 probably can't do that if he ever wants to play again. He has to be the "good citizen" until the end of the season, however bad things get if he wants to play somewhere next year. Otherwise he'll continue to be labeled as a problem player.

bebopdeluxe reply to Duracorr on Feb 2 at 23:31

As Kate said in her blog today, AI was pretty down after the Nets game...the old AI might have said/done something crazy, but he's trying to control himself - for the team as well as for his own rep. It wouldn't surprise me if he went to Stefanski and said that he can't deal with EFJ's ridiculous handling of the rotations and in-game management, and they told him to take a little time to cool down.

At this point, Iverson has done a decent job of regaining some cred around the league...and starting in the ASG isn't going to hurt. It may be that the logical conclusion for all parties is they simply release him after the trade deadline so he can find a landing spot with a contender (it wouldn't surprise me if Leon Rose is working that right now)...but until that happens, he's gotta continue to do what he's been doing and resist the temptation to lose it on Jordan.

I think it was tk who said - half-joking and half-seriously - that AI should be the player/coach...right now, it wouldn't surprise me if Iverson wishes he was.

I personally do not have a problem with Ed Stefanski. His decisions make sense, overall. But he has to FIRE Ed Jordan ASAP and if he does not, he will be gone along with Jordan. If they trade IA9, I think we are going to be years away from being anywhere close to contending again. Just think, Sammy and AI9 are our only 2 defenders on the floor these days, imo.

Tom Moore reply to DeanH on Feb 2 at 23:26

Holiday and Green are the only two other decent defenders.

Holiday is legit on the defensive end, Willie I think is merely good when compared to Iverson and Lou.

Brand has holes in his defensive game (mostly P&R defense, and closing out on shooters), but overall I think he's a positive on the defensive end most nights. He needs to do a better job on the defensive glass, though.

I took for granted on this site that we all agree Jrue defends well. But he does not play. I agree with Brian that Willie looks good just because the rest of the team is so poor.

Tom Moore on Feb 3 at 0:05