Coincidence?

Perhaps, but if it takes a seriously washed-up player's absence to feel good about himself... I think you know where I'm going with this. I mean, next Jennings fans will be blaming his poor play on Jerry Stackhouse's return. Okay, that's a huge exaggeration, but it's typical of Iguodala that it's conceivable that the presence of a semi-retired player, however once great, could be messing with his head. What if he were to ever play with a scorer who was actually good, would he shrivel up and die? I don't want to get into stupid arguments about how clutch he is, but he's never been a very mentally robust player.

Could also have something to do with the ball being in Iverson's hands too much when he's in the game, and not be some kind of mental deficiency on Igudoala's part.

MG77 reply to Brian on Feb 3 at 22:30

He still took way too many 3 pts tonight and he was fortunate to make that last rainbow-like 3 pt late in the 4th quarter.

As for "clutch" it is overrated in general in the NBA but Iggy still isn't a guy I want taking the last shot especially if the Sixers need a 3 pt. On the defensive end, you get no arguments from me about Iggy's "clutchness." Never had an issue with him there. Almost every night, Iggy earns his paycheck on the defensive end.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 3 at 23:16

But you and I also agree that you don't want the ball in his hands too much. So what's the happy middle? Him playing point forward but not taking a whole lot of shots? Iguodala reminds me a little of Andrei Kirilenko, who four years ago may have been a top ten to fifteen player in the league - a leader in blocked shots, great passer for his size, really filled up the stat sheet, etc. His offensive game, however, was third scorer-grade at best, he couldn't shoot threes and insisted on taking a couple a game, he wasn't as efficient as he should've been given his size and athleticism. So Utah finally brought in some pieces - Williams, Boozer, Okur, Millsap - and for a while Kirilenko continued to be productive. But by Williams's second year, when he started becoming more of a factor (it was also Millsap's rookie season), AK's game swan dived on both sides of the ball and he hasn't really been heard from since. The last couple weeks have probably been his most productive in years. Tonight he has 20 on 8 shots with Boozer out. (Coincidence?) And I think there's a similar, his game isn't good enough to build around on offense, but if you take the ball out of his hands he might stop doing much of anything for you dynamic with Iguodala.

I don't know if it is that much of a coincidence. Iggy finally made some smarter decisions late by taking the ball to the rim twice instead of taking a long-jumper.

I still remain convinced that Jordan just scribbles gibberish on the eraser board to draw up the final play and says something like "Iggy take it and drill it."

jkay reply to MG77 on Feb 3 at 22:43

i agree. but its high time Iguodala became conscious of his where his weaknesses lie.

on that note, he should go and shoot 150FTs a day till the next game.

i remember these last 5 games that Iverson has been putting up serious shots. he began to look more like his old self. exploding to the rim, hitting jumpers, finding Sammy under and over the rim. i was impressed how quickly he was rounding into form. and although everyone was cheering when he hit shot after shot to match Kobe, I always had this bad feeling (same one I have when Iguodala starts hitting 25ft jumpers) bcos I know what the 100% Iverson game does to team play. i honestly wish he was more hobbled and relegated to shooting jumpers and avoiding being the primary playmaker. at least he works well with Brand. suffice to say that since he has EJ's endorsement as being the 'heart and soul' of the team, this weird amalgam will continue.
hope Iguodala can look this interested next game.

Statman on Feb 3 at 22:45

I don't think it has anything to do with mental deficiencies (though my opinion of Iguodala is much higher than Tray's). It has everything to do with maintaining team unity as the 3rd option when Brand and Iverson demand their share of touches. My question is why Iguodala is the 3rd option and not the 2nd in the halfcourt. His assist rate is higher than Iverson's and his turnover rate is lower. We all saw tonight how effective Iguodala was at setting up others.

Anyhow, tonight gave a glimpse of how the team might have looked if Iverson hadn't been signed, once Lou and Speights got back. It might have been the first time all season Iguodala and Brand both went for 20 (certainly the first time in a while). That had to be what the Sixers had in mind in the summer of 2008.

kevin ollie on Feb 3 at 23:21

I realize that Igoudala is a 43% FG shooter and has a 46$ career average but everytime I see him I make a jumper I feel like it was a lucky shot. Igoudala has one of the ugliest jump shot I have ever seen.

JohnEMagee reply to kevin ollie on Feb 3 at 23:27

and if anyone knows ugly basketball, it's kevin ollie

MG77 reply to kevin ollie on Feb 4 at 0:07

Iggy is far from the most brutal jump shooter in the NBA and I don't mind him taking 2-3 3s a game especially if he gets a wide-open look or it is really the only option with the clock winding down.

Just wished he didn't have nights like tonight where he is clearly cold from the outside yet he continues to heave it up and ends up with 5 or more 3s attempts. No business doing that hitting them at a .319 clip this year.

Iggy is among the lowest ranked among qualified players in the NBA at 3-pt shooting (103rd out of 119) but in his defense there are plenty of guys who hoist just as many 3 pt attempts and make them at an even lower clip including Kobe, Wade, Carter, Wallace, Villanueva, and S. Jackson.

Don't know about the other guys but when I lived out in SF the fans there ripped Jackson for taking so many dumb 3s too and I know Wallace has gotten ripped for doing the same in Boston this year.

I was thinking...

I heard GSW was considering trading Monta Ellis for Ray Allen becuase they wanted to Stephon Curry to grow.

What if the sixers trade Williams, Young and Green for Ellis?

The sixers would have a pretty interesting lineup

C: Dalembert
PF: Brand
SF: Igoudala
SG: Ellis
PG: Holliday

While GS gets a good player in Young and they get a cheaper but less talented version of Ellis. Im not sure how Ellis plays on defense but I heard he's ok. This lineup would surely give make us a top 4 team in the EFC next year. It would all depend on Brand and of they decide to bring in a new coach. Maybe I am a little too optimistic becuase of Brand's play tonight, but I think Brand is back to being atleast a 16pts/8 reb guy.

MG77 reply to stan on Feb 4 at 0:10

Frankly I don't mind seeing the Sixers move Williams at all and Young in the right deal. One of the biggest problems/misconceptions I thought about this team coming into the season was this notion that Young was a future All-Star and that you could build around a nucleus of Young, Williams, and Spreights. Nice complementary players but I would argue that not one of them is a quality starter and I don't think Williams or Young will get there.

Tray reply to stan on Feb 4 at 1:12

Now, I'm actually starting to be a Curry fan myself, but you don't trade Monta to let Curry grow. The guy scored 46 tonight on 23 shots. Yeah, he's putting up these numbers with no one on his team, but not many players could be efficient as he is taking as many shots as he does. I'm not sure how that team will ever stop anyone rolling out those two as their starting backcourt, but it's not like Curry's not getting shots. Let him have more than one hot month before they decide he's the one they want to keep.

Charlie Ace reply to stan on Feb 4 at 13:09

Kobe is ranked lower than 103rd in 3-pt shooting?!?!?

JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 0:09

From Tom Moore

Jordan afterward about playing Ivey for first time since Dec. 31: "It’s one of my quirky rotations that everyone complains about."

MG77 reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 0:26

Man it is hard to like Jordan. He continues to be such a condescending dick when people ask him very legitimate questions.

Tray reply to MG77 on Feb 4 at 0:32

That is pretty ridiculous.

Very good question. My only real problem with Iguodala is when he launches too many threes. I was operating under the assumption that Iverson, who has the ball in his hands, relegated him to being a spot-up shooter like he did earlier in his career. Obviously that wasn't the case tonight as he launched all night from deep, which was the only blemish (along with FT shooting, but at least he got there 7 times) on a great game tonight. I think it has to be a mental thing because Iverson doesn't even come close to monopolizing the ball like he used to. He's also a very capable mid range shooter which should help Andre when he decides to drive. I'm thinking it's a mental thing then, because Iverson should be a good match with him at this point. Why was he more aggressive tonight, defenses give him the same room when Willie and Iverson are on the floor? Maybe a light bulb went off and he just made a concerted decision to get to the hole more at the end. His mid-range game was nice tonight as well. Those threes though...

Jeff reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 19:19

It's not a mental thing. You would think with Iverson's mid-range game that he and Iguodala could play off of each other. However, as of recently Iverson has been more of a ball hog. He dribbles around defenders and sets himself up for jumpers. Occacionally he'll go to Brand or Dalembert, but a majority of his offensive game is working off of screens to set himself up. No one is really a passer on this team except Iguodala and Jrue.

I don't know why, but I'll I can take away from the game is that the Sixers are now in line for the 8th pick.

I need to find a way to enjoy watching. Because in the past I really would have been excited by a win like tonight.

jkay reply to tk76 on Feb 4 at 0:39

bright side: Elton Brand is showcasing his leftover for a possible franchise saving trade. heck i'd give up our draft pick just to trade his contract away.

jkay reply to jkay on Feb 4 at 0:40

omission: leftover talents

Yes, IA9 plays better w/out AI and Sammy plays better with AI.

JohnEMagee reply to DeanH on Feb 4 at 9:51

Sam looked pretty good last night without Iverson, when coach brace face put him in

Philadelphia 76ers
Status: Seller
Team Weaknesses: Outside shooting, perimeter defense
Projected 2010 cap room: $-12 million ($2 million in tax room)
Untouchables: Jrue Holiday
Potentially on the block: Elton Brand ($15 million this year, three more years, player option for third), Andre Iguodala ($12.2 million this year, four more years, player option for fourth), Samuel Dalembert ($12 million this year, one more year),
Expiring Contracts: None
Prospects: Thaddeus Young, Marreese Speights, Louis Williams Jason Smith,
Good trade partners: Boston, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, Phoenix, Sacramento.
Possible targets: Tracy McGrady's expiring contract, Ray Allen's expiring contract, any other big expiring contracts.

Perhaps the biggest sellers on the market, considering Washington's ownership flux right now. SB Nation's Liberty Ballers e-mails in to remind everyone that GM Ed Stafanski says nobody is untouchable. Elton Brand's contract remains radioactive, so he's probably not going anywhere. Otherwise, everyone's fair game, except maybe rookie Jrue Holiday. Yes, even Thaddeus Young. Jordan Sams from Liberty Ballers says he could see Young getting traded 10 times before Holiday.

The real prize of this fire sale is Andre Iguodala. Iguodala isn't for everybody. His poor outside shooting is a killer for many teams. But if you have a great outside shooter, Iguodala is a major acquisition. He's a phenomenal passer, a potential lockdown defender when he doesn't have a major scoring burden to shoulder and a great teammate skilled in little things like post entry passes and movement without the ball. The problem is his contract, which, at four years and 56 million, is hefty considering player salaries could really go down in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Even with his salary, I'm surprised more teams aren't looking into Iguodala. Houston's interested, and Cleveland is thinking about It, but that's it. Dallas is scared off by his contract, even though Iguodala is perfect for them as a guy who runs the break and defends top perimeter threats. Even with his salary, teams like Minnesota (see above), Phoenix (to get something for Amare) and Boston (if Paul Pierce's injury is a nagging problem) have got to think about this guy.

Iguodala beats Bulls, talks trade

February 04, 2010 • 12:22 am

By Martin FrankThere are nights like these when Andre Iguodala shows just what the 76ers could be missing if they trade him, and what a championship-caliber team could be getting if they trade for him. That’s because Iguodala scored 25 points to go along with 8 rebounds and 8 assists in the Sixers’ 106-103 overtime win over the Chicago Bulls.

Afterward, Iguodala had this to say about a possible trade, hinting that he thinks it’s going to happen by the Feb. 18 deadline: “I feel like I’m one of the top players in the league and I can give whatever team I’m on a whole different dimension. Thinking in that perspective alone gives me that added confidence. It shows a new team what I can bring to the table.”

He also had this to say about whether it has affected his play: “I try to block it out, but you hear it a lot, even when you’re playing, because it’s a tough crowd at home. Our fans bring it up a lot. I don’t think it changes my play at all. You continue to try to find a rhythm and try to be a good ballplayer no matter what the situation brings.”

Anyway, the Sixers won their 2nd straight game for the 5th time this season. They’ll go for their 1st 3-game winning streak on Friday in New Orleans against the Hornets, who are without Chris Paul after he underwent knee surgery the other day.

They did it without Allen Iverson, who left the team for personal reasons because one of his kids has an undisclosed illness.

Elton Brand tied his season high with 26 points, to go along with 9 rebounds. And Samuel Dalembert, with 13 rebounds, had double-digits in rebounds for the 14th time in 15 games.

Here are some interesting facts:

*Brand and Iguodala each scored 20+ points in the same game for the first time this season.

*Willie Green started in place of Iverson, and not Lou Williams. When asked why, Sixers coach Eddie Jordan said: “Recommendation of the coaching staff.”

*Royal Ivey got into the game for the first time since Dec. 31. He even hit a clutch 3-pointer with 5:34 left in regulation. When asked why he used Ivey, Jordan replied: “It’s just one of my quirky rotations that everyone complains about.”

*Brand is averaging 19.3 ppg over his last 6 games.

*The 25 points for Iguodala was the most he’s had since scoring 26 vs. Cleveland on Dec. 16. He has been averaging 10.3 ppg over the previous 3 games.

Iggy sounds like he has one foot out the door...

Levent on Feb 4 at 4:20

I don't think a player with Iggy's salary has the right to be affected by the coming of an another player.It's not an excuse for stupid shot selections.

JohnEMagee reply to Levent on Feb 4 at 9:52

I'm sorry, but that's a rather nonsensical proposition, but most Iguodala hate seemed to start as soon as his salary changed even though his game didn't much

bdownbear on Feb 4 at 7:55

I think this really should be the idea Ed should be leaning on to avoid luxury tax.
Sixers trade-Young, Lou, Green, Smith and Kapono
Minnesota trades-Blount, Cardinal, Wilkins, Utahs first round pick
If you want cap relief this is the trade Ed should do. Then come draft time if Turner or Evans are not there then draft Cousins and use that other first round pick and draft a 2 guard. But after that trade, do they even have enough cap to sign Joe Johnson?

My wish-Lineup for next season-
C-Cousins/Dalembert
PF-Brand/Speights
SF-Iguodala/Carney (resigned)
SG-Joe Johnson/Willie Warren or Avery Bradley(Utah's pick)/Carney
PG-Holiday/Willie Warren or Avery Bradley(Utah's pick)

That team right there, with the right head coach can contend.

bdownbear reply to bdownbear on Feb 4 at 7:57

I'm sorry its Evan Turner or Wesley Johnson.

eddies' heady's reply to bdownbear on Feb 4 at 8:15

Just can't sell myself on Cousins noggin for some reason, therefore Greg Monroe is starting to grow on me. Guy has a handle for that size and his stroke is pretty smooth also, at least on free throws.

Monroe's the hardest one for me to wrap my head around. His faceup game is really something to watch at times. Ask him to create less and I don't see his turnovers being a problem, either.

Defensive rebounding was a major concern last year, but he seems to be making a much more concerted effort. I'm still a little concerned about his man-man and p&r defense, though.

With Iverson in the game, Iguodala doesn't control enough of the possessions and barely any of the offense has seemed to go through him as of recently. If Iguodala is not facilitating, or having players facilitate to him, he is basically not involved. This is bad for the team, in my opinion. He's too skilled to just stand alone on the weak side. In regards to one of the earlier comments, there needs to be a happy medium between him and Iverson.

I think the best case scenario is having a pass-first PG work alongside Iguodala. That's why I'm hoping Iguodala is not traded. I'm excited to see how he works with a developed Jrue.

Lou certainly took over the role of dribbling the air out of the ball while cutting under the basket for tough jumpers. Surprisingly he actually made a few, but I still thought they were bad shots and bad possessions.
I also enjoyed watching Willie Green get owned by Rose. His prowess as a "defensive stopper" wasn't seen during this game. Could've used Jrue out there in the final minutes of the fourth.

My rumor de jour. Cu up the rat/ship reference :)

"Should Postolos take over, several league executives wonder whether Bobcats coach Larry Brown would use the ownership change as a way to free himself for a possible return to the Philadelphia 76ers. No one is sure about the fates of Sixers GM Ed Stefanski and coach Eddie Jordan should the team continue to struggle, but Brown has kept a good relationship with owner Ed Snider and his family is still living in Philly during the season."

-Adrian Wojnarowski

ItAintEZ reply to tk76 on Feb 4 at 10:48

Don't tease with stuff like this. I would love to see what LB would do with this squad.

Brown is a good coach, but I don't enjoy watching his teams play. They usually make games ugly and win with defense. This is a winning formula, but I'd rather watch good defense without the ugly part...

On this roster Brown would keep Holiday, Iguodala, Brand, Ivey and Carney and get rid of the rest. I'm certain he would get them winning, but probably never contending- but that is the case regardless.

I could not disagree more.

LB coming to this team would be manna from heaven. If that was possible, I would trade Lou if possible to deal with the lux tax issue, keep Jordan for the balance of the year (and hope that he fucks up as many games as possible), have DiLeo draft the best SG possible, and anticipate having a team that defends it's ass off, runs QUALITY plays out of time-outs and plays games at least through May.

Rich reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 4 at 12:42

Brown should just coach at this point because he's like the Jon Gruden of the NBA with player personnel. He's always looking for a new guy on his team with no real regard for the future and gets sick of the guys he wanted because he now had spent time with them. You know he would basically take full control with the Sixers too.

JohnEMagee reply to ItAintEZ on Feb 4 at 11:03

well guys like lou and thaddeus would never play, probably willie too, speights would be sent to the end of the bench, and brown would want to get rid of different players every week.

My favorite publication this week is that Brown would like the bobcats to trade augustin for a big man, like brook lopez who the bobcats passed on for augustin because brown wanted augustin while the franchise reportedly went as far to tell lopez he was being drafted.

Now why does that issue sound familiar?

Just the notion of this team going back to Brown and AI is comical in a sad way.

JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 11:31

I miss Chris Ford, I mean he told Iverosn to sit down, he was awesome

Charlie Ace on Feb 4 at 12:59

I don't think it's mental, unless you consider Iguodala's reaction to how he is used when Iverson plays a mental thing. I've always thought that Iguodala is mentally tough. Some people confuse complaining with a lack of mental toughness. Let's face it, Iguodala's had a lot to complain about in his time as a Sixer. Being told to head to the weakside in every halfcourt "set" would be one of these things that I can understand being upset about. Is he supposed to go happily along with a change that turns him into Louis Amundsen?

Like it or not, the ball should be in Iguodala's hands on almost every possession. That's just the way it is. He knows this, and it's only natural for him to lose some enthusiasm and focus when his role has been suddenly changed for no good reason and to the detriment of the team, which is what happened. I'm not making excuses for him; the real problem here is Jordan's bone-headed decisions. He's just reacting to them.

5. Andre Iguodala, G/F, Sixers
I've struggled to accept the idea that the 76ers would give away Iguodala, their best player, no matter how desperate they are to cut payroll. But in NBA front offices, the word is that he is very much available. Of course, Philly's hope is to get rid of the contract of Samuel Dalembert in such a deal.

A source told ESPN.com on Wednesday that the Houston Rockets have recently renewed discussions with the 76ers about a deal involving Iguodala and Dalembert for the expiring contract of Tracy McGrady. And as I reported above, the Suns have also entered the mix, offering Amare Stoudemire for Iguodala and Dalembert. The Cavs and Dallas Mavericks have explored Iguodala deals as well.

Slowing discussions at the moment is the fact that the Sixers really want to get some talent back in such a deal. The Rockets have players to offer, and the Suns might be willing to throw in Leandro Barbosa, I'm told.

So while the Sixers are motivated to move Iguodala, I think it's going to take more than an expiring contract to land him in the end.

JohnEMagee reply to steve on Feb 4 at 13:32

Not sure who that's quoted from, but I think that's the sixers stance now, and teams are unwilling to give up talent, now, but in 2 weeks, if all these teams are still interested, motviated, and without other options, some bending on either side will happen probably.

steve reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 13:35

Thats from Chad Ford's insider column. If it was Stoudemire and Barbosa for Iguodala and Sam the Sixers would have to seriously consider it. If it did happen hopefully it wouldn't be just a salary dump and we could resign Amare. If it was up to me though AI9 wouldn't be going anywhere.

JohnEMagee reply to steve on Feb 4 at 13:38

If Amare is the 'prized', i'd rather it be a salary dump than be paying him 5 years 20 mil that he wants.

Brand AMare front court - that would be awesome wouldn't it folks?

I wonder about the cavs, all this talk of a 'stretch 4' - who is starting at the 5 for them next season...getting Iguodala and Sam at least gives them a stop gap for a year

The Greek on Feb 4 at 13:47

Cleveland doesn't have anything sexy to give us aside from a salary dump. They wouldn't even give up Varejo.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 4 at 13:51

They have JJ Hixson

Most teams have nothing 'sexy' to give up

Lopez from Phoenix?

Dallas only really have that beaubois guy who the fans are loathe to give up but who knows how the organization feels.

That's why I don't buy this whole 'talent back' thing - all the teams in talks with the sixers (rumored) have very little talent to give up.

Houston? I guess Aaron Brooks or Carl Landry - but that just creates another hole on their roster doesn't it?

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 14:05

I like how were going about this so far though, we are attempting to drum up a bidding war and making it known that we want talent back.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 4 at 14:08

At least that's the public perception, I'm not sure I buy it. I still think the primary motivation is the 2011 luxury tax and getting rid of Sam (or more difficult to get rid of Brand) and that Iguodala is the 'incentive' to take the bad contract. I believe as the deadline day approaches the sixers are more likely to bend on their 'talent back' request than other teams are on what they are willing to give.

Dallas, Portland, Cleveland - deep pocket owners who have a desire to win that seems to trump the salary cap.

Phoenix is a cheap owner fearful of money issues, and I don't know enough about the rockets ownership to know where they stand on the issue.

At least that's how i see it

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 14:41

Maybe, just maybe, their motivation is the widely held view that building around Iguodala will not work and they should start anew with another big piece, or at least some new talent. I assumed this was about the luxury tax too but it is starting to seem like they just think our roster needs to be drastically reconstituted.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Feb 4 at 14:47

Well if that's the case they're talking to the wrong teams then aren't they?

The mistake was presuming that Iguodala was a player he wasn't, and that's on the sixers....maybe Iverson should miss the next 10-15 games, Brand and Holiday should get 30 MPG and the sixers should see what they REALLY have

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 16:21

Not entirely. If they seriously think building around Amare is any more of a sensible direction than building around Iguodala, then talking to Phoenix makes sense. Or take Portland. There's a variety of young players they could part with, such that Stefanski could sell this trade as "we're rebuilding and going in a different direction, not just having a fire sale, so we got some talent for Iguodala in return." I would kind of prefer dealing Iguodala for expirings or at most young players who have a lot of upside but aren't going to prevent the team from getting a great pick, but at this point almost any move that took this team in a new direction would be welcome to me.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Feb 4 at 16:29

If they seriously think about building around Amare while brand is still on the team, I think I should become a clippers fan, or a warriors fan, since they obviously have smarter people employed than the sixers.

The problem, and it infects the sixers, is that Iguodala isn't a player that you should build around but he's a player you need if you want to win an NBA title. He's not paid max money (and if you factor in how much he was 'underpaid' in his rookie contract maybe it would make people feel better about his contract) - i feel he's paid what he's worth for what he does - the problem is that the sixers thought you could build around a player like Iguodala, and you can't, and that's not his fault, that's the sixers fault for evaluating the players strenghts and weaknesses poorly.

I really want Iverson to miss the next 10 games, I want Holiday to get more mintues and Brace Face to respect ELton Brand to see if CHicago was a fluke or an indicator of something else

Iguodala and Sam for Amare and Leandro just replaces one core that isn't going anywhere with another.

Sort of reminds me of how the Sixers used to cycle through ill fitting wingmen for AI (Kukok, DC, CWebb.) It just delays the inevitable rebuild and buys the GM more time to show the new crew is no better than the old.

Instead of contemplating signing Amare, get a superstar first- before you start throwing around more 80M contracts.

jsmoove reply to tk76 on Feb 4 at 15:14

Yep. And don't forget Glenn Robinson, Matt Harpring, and Keith Van Horn.

Thanks, I was trying to forget them.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 4 at 15:29

It's probably not irony (unless it's alanis irony) that Iverson finally has a (one could say two) big man to play with in the way he needed his entire career?

Get Korver back in the off season, teach speights to pass...how many open looks could Korver get?

A Lou Williams/AI starting backcourt makes me wax poetically about Korver starting. I honestly would rather start Holiday/Iguodala/Korver/Brand/Dalembert than AI/Lou/Iguodala/Brand/Dalembert. At least their skillsets open things up for each other and Korver TRIES on defense.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 4 at 15:41

I'm kind of tired about draft prospects I know so little about and trade deadlines so I'm thinking past this season and 'waxing' about what the sixers would need if Eie Joran got fired and Comcast said luxury tax be damned, we're going to try to win (and no major moves are made by Feb 18).

I think Korver would be a primary off season target - if speights learns to pass even better - because Kapono can't shoot 3's. Also of course would need a SG because i'm to the point where Iguodala is a 3 and Thaddeus Young isn't a starter but a guy who is brought in when you need points (and little else) just like Lou.

You'd need a 2 guard, you'd need some defense off the bnech, Sam to maintain this level of play for an entire season, and Brands health to maintain and Iguodala to do some work, but with the celtics aging and the raptors unlikely to start playing defense next season, I believe that a few smart moves and player dedication (and the right coach) and the team could win the atlantic

I'd place the odds of the Sixers finishing ahead of Boston next year at close to zero.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 4 at 15:45

Well it's a hypothetical based on comcast deciding winning is more important over the luxury tax and a smarter coach coming in, with a little draft luck

Holiday
Turner
Iguodala
Brand
Dalembert

Korver
Speights
Thad/Lou
Defensive Stopper

deepsixersuede on Feb 4 at 15:48

Tray, add to what you said that moving him gets a higher draft pick. John, what figure is management looking to free up ? Your best guess?

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Feb 4 at 15:51

I don't have an exact figure - but my best guess is that the sixers are trying to free up whatever it takes to get them under the 2011 luxury tax (projected) level as it stands right now, either the NBA projection or the Comcast internal projection. However, I also think that much like last off season they won't make a single move that would take them over the luxury tax number for 2011.

Being over the luxury tax is a 2 fold curse, yes you pay the tax but you also miss out on the 'under the tax' pay out...

At the same time, according to some reports, the sixers are suffering close to the biggest (if not) the biggest attendance drop year over year this seasn, and this season isn't going to help with new season tickets or renewals.

Honestly, if I had to guess on an exact amoutn i'd say comcast is looking to shed 'as much as possible' in salaries after this season.

My theory on 'winning the division' next year is dependent on comcast committing to winning over avoiding the luxury tax (you know, like the mavericks, or the cavs, or the lakers)

JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 15:54

Tim McMahon covers the mavs for ESPN Dallas

He says that the Mavs like Iguodala but maybe not for 4 years / 56 million and he says

Dalembert is owed Dampier-like money next season, plus his contract has a 15-percent trade kicker. I've been told the Mavs would definitely not take Dalembert in a deal with the Sixers. Then again, you shouldn't believe everything you hear at this time of year.

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:04

Dalembert (lower back strain) didn't practice. Iverson wasn't there again and is supposedly going to join the team in Naw'lins.

Dalembert: "It started last week. I really didn’t pay too much attention to it. I was just doing rehab. But last night I twisted up and something tightened up. Last night was tough to go to bed. I got up this morning and came here to get treatment. ... I have to play tomorrow. I don’t have the luxury ... I have to play tomorrow. If we were 40-10, I would have the luxury to sit down."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:06

As far as I'm concerned, sit him down now, let's see what Speights and Brand do together for significant minutes.

Seriously, the first time ever Sam shows a real dedication to basketball and I actually prefer if he was old time sammy

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 16:12

Sam is starting to grow on me, it only took 7 years or so. I actually agree with you John, on trying to make this work somehow, because starting over and suffering for 8 to 10 years is not something to look forward to.How many drafts is it gonna take to turn this around and if they won!t spend money, does it really matter.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Feb 4 at 16:15

If comcast continues to run the team with an eye on the bottom line in terms of luxury tax / cap room versus trying to build a winning team, it's highly unlikely that the sixers will ever contend for a title again unless they have a bad 2-3 year stretch where they're picking top 3-5 in a row - idleo might find some talent that allows a 'marlins like run' in 4th/5th year of those players deals...that's how i see it.

There's a lot of ifs and maybes in my 'optimistic' view of what this team could be ASIDE from comcast agreeing to go over the luxury tax, but the 'raw ability' i believe is on the roster if you add some pieces and draft smartly (and willie green retires)

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 16:21

Elton, to me, is a winner compared to Amare, or most of the offensive type bigs littering the league and it scares me to move him and Iggy and turn over the asylum to the soft, care less about defense young guys here.You mentioned Lopez, on Pheonix, and he seems to want to bang and attempt to defend, a lost art it seems.

JohnEMagee reply to deepsixersuede on Feb 4 at 16:26

Unlike others, I don't believe the sixers would sign Amare to a long term deal if they obtained him, i believe they'd hope he opt out and hope not to get Boozered (which can now have two meanings to NBA franchise if you're cleveland or utah) by him in the off season.

I wish wes johnson could play shooting guard :)

I love how people are treating Sammy like kryptonite because of his bad contract. Dallas is paying a ton of people for years anyway. I thought Dampier's contract was expiring this year, but Hoops Hype has him for next year at 13 mil. Sammy is more valuable than Dampier for the same money and Iguodala can help that team (has shooting at other spots) immeasurably. I don't understand why people are so afraid of taking Iguodala because of Dalembert. That would be the best haul this year by far and might (I think would) put a Top 5 team over the top.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 16:25

Dampiers contract (which Mavs fans delusionally refer to as DUST) is only guaranteed next year if he makes specific minutes/game based incentives (2100 minutes in 70 games I think) and there's no way he gets there right now unless Carlisle drastically changes his rotations...so his contract is non guaranteed and can be cut. There' a feeling that the Mavs could somehow use this 'expiring' contract that can be held onto during free agency and still waived could net them a second tier free agent (say Joe Johnson) in a S&T - but what I don't see is what ELSE the mavs have to offer aside from that contract - so what's the incentive?

Josh Howard similarly, is on the books for a contract next year, but it's a team option that can be bought out.

So both guys are, for all intents and purposes, expiring contracts this year.

As for Sam's contract, the meme is that it's a bad contract and has a bad trade kicker. LIke I've said, the kicker might be at 3 million (or lower) if i read the coon faq right so the sixers could cover that, but the bigger deal is that a lot of the teams who would consider Sam still are looking at the 2010 free agency FIRST - so you have to give them something now that they might not get after free agency finishes (like Iguodala) to get them to absorb what could be free cap space this summer - that's how i Isee it

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 16:36

Yeah, and they would get Iguodala in the deal. I don't know, but isn't a championship this year as good for a contender compared to one in 2010 and 2011? Honestly, Sam's trade kicker would be bad, but it's only one year that a team would have to deal around and then he comes off the books in 2011. We all know Wade is staying and LeBron might go or leave, but WE DO know that Dallas won't get him. So Bosh is therefore the prize but only one team gets him and if Dallas (he's from there) can be it, I say do that. If not, you have to look hard at what the Sixers are giving you.
I feel like Joe Johnson isn't as good of a fit as Iguodala would be for (of the top teams): Cleveland, Dallas, and Boston. Houston as well if you thrown them in there. I think the national public thinks Sammy is a useless stiff like Dampier, but I do hope NBA guys know he's a plus defensive player in crunch time, and this year he has been workmanlike in putting up double doubles. You have to give a little away, to get A LOT in return. The big question would be if you wanted to pay Iguodala for the rest of the contract to me. Sammy's expensive, but if you opt out of the 2010 crapshoot, he really doesn't hurt.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 16:38

Hey I'm on your side, I think Iguodala and Dalembert makes them a real serious contender in the west and Dirk/Kidd aren't lasting forever...I'm telling you what Mavs fans think :)

Cuban lambasted his team publicly yesterday/this morning about how bad they look, people think this means they'll be more likely to make an aggressive move at the deadline, we'll see.

I don't even know if the sixers would MAKE the deal I'm suggesting

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 16:47

Haha yeah, I feel bad making the argument so vehemently for other teams when we are the ones giving the talent up. Still, as we agree on, this deal is an absolute no brainer if we are a team like Dallas or Cleveland to me. If we are demanding Josh Howard or Hickson, then give him to us, that's a ridiculous upgrade on their part. Even people that feel he is overpaid unanimously talk about how valuable he could be to a great team.

I wonder if it's just Cuban's time of the month to be honest, and the Dallas fans are delusional on a regular basis. If they don't want this deal, it's their loss.

deepsixersuede reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 16:25

That move he made on Gibson last night was beautiful, he is becoming a 2 way player .

Yeah it was really nice and I don't know if that's what to expect, but all a really good team needs out of Sam is ACTIVITY. The guy will put up his double double by running the floor, throwing down a few alley oops, and scoring occasionally in the half-court with a hook, jumper or something. His offense is plenty good to complement his defense and rebounding and on a great team, he's one of those final pieces. I believe the Mavs made the Finals with Dasagna Diop as their center for defense only purposes. Sam is better in every respect besides shot blocking than Diop as well, who could only play with an uber skilled guy like Dirk.

Tom Moore reply to deepsixersuede on Feb 4 at 16:55

Was a nice move, but I think Gibson's defensive deficiencies were a factor on that baseline drive for a dunk, too.

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:19

Dalembert on the importance of the next four games before the all-star break to the Sixers' playoff hopes: "Everybody knows because they’ve been around so long, after the all-star (break everything gets twice harder. Teams are trying to make it. It’s going to be a test for our character as a team. The last several games, we’ve really been showing positive things defensively. I think that’s the way to keep it consistent. We haven’t won three games in a row all year long. I didn’t even realize that. That’s really not us."

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:26

From what I'm told, they could only go into the luxury tax if they'd be championship contenders. Don't know if that's an option now.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:30

Do they understand that there's no way in HELL they'll become championship contenders with this coach (and possibly this GM) without going into the luxury tax.

deepsixersuede reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 17:06

If they dump Lou for an expiring and can get Sam resigned for the M.L.E. level deal and move Jason for a future 2nd rounder does that allow them to attempt to keep everything else here and add on?

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 16:28

Jordan on if Iverson will play tomorrow: "We still don’t know. It’s still to be determined. We don’t know yet."

"I texted him. Things seem to be going in the right direction with his family. We’ll see, when we get to New Orleans, how things are going."

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 17:01

Chatted with Stefanski today at practice and asked if a team can pay up to $3 million to a team acquiring a player with a trade kicker (such as Dalembert), even though that would be to be a way of circumventing the kicker/cap. He said a team (such as the Sixers) could include up to $3 million. The difference is the team acquiring Dalembert would have to include the kicker against their cap/luxury tax figure -- half this year and half next season -- after paying the full amount within 30 days of a trade. Make sense?

Thanks Tom, that clears it up. So for a team over the lux tax, it's an actual cost of $6M spread over two seasons, and you have to factor the kicker into the salaries outgoing/incoming when you're making the deal as well (which probably isn't a dealbreaker when you factor in the 25% value differential allowed.)

Tom Moore reply to Brian on Feb 4 at 17:10

Sure, Brian. Believe you're correct. As I understand, the only way a portion of the trade kicker could be waived is if it's for the amount that prevents a trade from happening.

deepsixersuede reply to Brian on Feb 4 at 17:10

That may cut down the list of Sam takers though.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 4 at 17:10

Assuming that the season is half over...sams trade kicker probably isn't even 3 million any more

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 4 at 17:43

Still, half of remaining amount would count against this year's tax. Believe pay is based on 90 games -- 82 regular season and eight preseason. So he'd be about 60 percent of way through.

Luxury tax figure is determined by team's salary at end of season.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 17:48

Yeah, I get that...but it just feels like 'bad contract / trade kicker' is this meme perpetrated since the deal was signed, and with only a year and a half left and the 'minimal' (relatively) amount of the kicker now compared to 2 years ago that iit's a bad meme...

Saw this on ebay, ends about 7:30ish:

The seats are behind the bench, could ride Jordan the whole game. Just don't know if it is worth a couple hundred dollars. Anyway, if anyone wants it item:220547620073

Your seats are located COURTSIDE in Section 103, Row AA! These behind the SIXERS BENCH! Nothing between you and the bench!!!!!! Unbelievable views! You can hear the players talking! These seats also provide access to the Lexus Club!

right now it is $165 for both tix.

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 17:11

Jordan on the Sixers' mindset going into weekend road trip: "We feel good about going on the road and playing two teams we’ve played before (Hornets and Rockets). We like the direction we’re going in. Let’s keep the aggressiveness up, continue to play smart. Hopefully, our big guys will deliver again."

Rich reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 17:14

They have a chance to deliver when they play together. BTW, Brian hasn't done a recap yet, but I can't believe the one defensive possession where Jordan subbed Thad and Carney for Brand and Sammy. Yep, Thad at the Five! Rose gets an easy layup. Amazing and I don't feel like it's gotten its due after the comments last night.

Yeah, I'll try to get a recap up tonight. Sick as a dog, spent the whole day in bed.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 4 at 18:03

No problem at all and take your time, that was just an incredulous moment for me. I was thinking that winning the game kind of made that possession get lost in the shuffle. If I'm correct, he made the defensive substitution to put Lou, Willie, Carney, Iguodala, and Thad to get a stop! I think Neumann-Gorretti could get a hoop against that lineup. Amazing, because he took out Sammy and Brand, who absolutely sealed the lane shut in OT.

Tom Moore reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 18:03

Good observation. Two straight defensive possessions down the stretch without Dalembert -- Green was guarding Brad Miller each time. Rose scored inside -- no Dalembert to come over and contest the shot on the one possession.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 18:17

Dalembert sat WAY too long in the 4th considering he only had 2 fouls

Statman reply to Rich on Feb 4 at 19:08

The funny thing about that possession was that the Bulls ran a P/R, so that Willie was guarding Brad Miller and Thad was guarding Rose. So the Bulls had their choice of gross mismatches, and Rose wound up taking it in against Thad (after one fake) for an easy lay-up. Eddie Jordan -- just brilliant at creating mismatches for the other team!

Duracorr reply to Statman on Feb 4 at 22:04

I think that was the time when most of the crowd booed the substitution. How bad is it when the majority of the crowd understands the situation better than the coach? He put Brand back in at the next stoppage.
The old saying was "If you listen to the fans you'll find yourself sitting with the fans." With EJ it seems more like "If you listen to the fans you might get to finish the season."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 17:17

They're headed southwest...is that a good direction?

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 18:35

Iguodala: "It might be a big hole (to get to the playoffs), but in the past I thought we had the talent to do it, but we were expected to lose. I think with this group, we have a little bit more talent and know what we can do. We have to go out there and do it."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 18:47

They have a much worse coach though

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 18:40

Feel better, Brian.

Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 18:55

An NBA source said the Stoudemire for Iguodala/Dalembert rumor on ESPN.com is an "old story."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 19:05

That would fit in with the way ESPN does things

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 4 at 19:07

That would fit in with the way ESPN does things

Stanley on Feb 4 at 19:56

When its all said and done, i expect Iggy to still be wearing red, white, and blue. Though it will be Clippers red, white, and blue...

His agent Ron Pelinka is probably already trying then to bring his client closer to his LA offices to play alongside his other clients of Kaman and Gordon...

JohnEMagee reply to Stanley on Feb 4 at 20:51

I doubt that highly

Didn't read how the Sammy trade talk got started but he is the least of our problem right now. He is playing the best basketball of his career and his value will continue to increase as the contract comes to an end. Also, if his play continues at this level, resign him for a lesser deal, if possible. If he continues this effort through next year, I believe he actually may have figured out this game. It's about time.

JohnEMagee reply to sfw on Feb 4 at 20:51

Sam trade talk got started in February

of 2008

And people are being fooled by a month or two and ignoring the rest of his career.

sfw reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 5 at 8:39

I'd let him role to see if he has finally gotten it. Some people mature later than others. Maybe, the light bulb has finally gone on.

I dont think this version of Iverson has had a bad effect on anyone....maybe Lou Williams, but this version of Iverson has been 90% enjoyable.

He's feeding Elton and Sammy early in the shotclock even when they're not looking for it. And he's given up some last second shots to Iggy.

If there is a negative effect on Iggy it's maybe that he's not the top draw anymore? (although NOBODY is a draw at home)

JohnEMagee reply to CP3 on Feb 4 at 23:12

He dominates the ball in the offensive sets - he's not useful to the development of the young players - having him here was a bad idea from the beginning, but hey - they sold out a game

Tom Moore on Feb 5 at 0:14