Grudge Match vs. Minny

The Greek on Feb 9 at 17:33

Brewer has been playing really well lately. Love has also exceeded my expectations for him. Jefferson and Love is like our version of Thad and Iggy, both play the same positions. I see them trading Jefferson within a year.

Brewer's shooting is a downright shock to me.

Sixers are 7 point favorites tonight. Seems too high to me.

Mike P. on Feb 9 at 18:14

I'll watch the first hour and then it's over to comedy night on NBC for me!

Who thinks the sixers need to make the numbers blue on the road unis?

Then we can have a blue road alternate with white text, red numbers, and red on the outside triangle things. I liked our jerseys when they were first unveiled, but was hesitant to say I loved them because I missed the piping.

Now I realize they are a great clean uniform. It just needs the white home numbers to be blue.

Also, Ric Bucher just mentioned on sportscenter how the sixers might not be involved in trade talks because the team can make the eighth seed!

EIGHTH SEED!!!

The Philadelphia EIGHTies!

Mike P. reply to Mike P. on Feb 9 at 18:16

Nevermind, I thought it was Thursday. Sixers game all the way for me then. Hurray clanked jumpers!

wonder how many people will be there - 2 of the worst teams playing with a blizzard expected to hit town during the game.

JohnEMagee on Feb 9 at 18:24

Kevin Love - bench monster

kepping lou off the court is always a good way to win a game

Feel really bad about Iverson's situation. Hope everything turns out alright.

Carney's out with a cold, apparently. Primoz is in uniform! Can't wait to see him out there batting the ball around.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:08

More opportunities to run out

Lou
Jrue
Willie
Thad
Andre

Who's psyched?

Jordan's finally back to 70 games under .500 on his coaching career. Someone give that guy an extension.

Wow, there is no one there.

Quick jumpers. I'm not a fan.

Jrue w/ the d-board, pushes himself on the break, then hands off to Willie for the dunk. Pretty play.

Ugh, keep your feet, Sam.

EB +1, nice feed by Willie, believe it or not. Here comes K Love.

Wow, what a drive and dish by Jrue. EB +1 again.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:21

A true point guard who can defend, a power forward who can post up, now all we need is a 2 guard who can score (with range) and defend too

is it more empty than that clippers game?

Nah, I don't think that's possible.

there were more people at the open practice at the spectrum before the season started

Heh. I think you're right. I was there that day.

Steals into points.

AI9 fouled on a three. Heh. Gomes should have to run laps.

Jrue with the board and push again, sinks an 18-footer in transition (not crazy about the shot, but it went down)

Pump fake and dribbles into a 14-footer. Good.

jruuueee

Willie just bitched Flynn in the post.

Was is Minny who switched to a zone in the second half and completely shut the Sixers down earlier in the season? I think that was the game, right?

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:35

It was the Knicks game at home wasn't it?

You may be right. I just remember being thoroughly disgusted.

Brian Cardinal actually plays for Minny?

6 points, 2 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers for Jrue in the first. He shouldn't be out of this game for long.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:37

Did Eie Joran get fired?

Up by 7 after the first. Willie leading all scorers with 10 on 5/7 shooting.

I'm at the game right now. Place is pretty empty, but honestly I'm surprised there are even this many people here.

Jrue lookin nice. Elton lookin nice. Both now on the bench.

Oh look a Jason smith sighting.

Start the Primoz chant.

jason smith is a beast

Nice catch and shoot by Lou. Was 100% expecting the pump fake. Nice cross-court pass by Iguodala to find him.

Jason Smith is all pumped +1 coming to put PHI up 20.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 19:42

Really glad they are finally limiting Speights minutes for his disdain for D. The DiLeo treatment from last year.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 19:44

I'll give him better effort, but Smith himself isn't much of a defender either is he?

Effort goes a long way on defense. (I say as Smith gives a soft foul for a +1)

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:46

Yeah, but then again 'effort' without ability is why people miss reggie evans :)

Alright, time to get the starters back in there. Not sure what he's going to do at the three. AI9 hasn't sat yet. He should bring EB and Sam back in, move thad to the three.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:47

I didn't really think Jason touched the guy. He gave the ref a look like he didn't either.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 19:48

He gave the ref a look like he didn't either.

Celtics players do that all the time, and part of their defensive philosophy is to foul so much the refs just can't call them all :)

Awesome finish by J, good for him.

It's like a parade to the line for the Sixers. If Donaghy was reffing, I'd say something might be up (6.5 point line).

OK, up 13. Get Jrue, Sam and Willie back in there and finish this quarter off strong.

Willie's the first back in.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 19:57

Need offense to build that lead back up

I wish Jordan would play Sammy more. He should be getting 30+ at the minimum every game.

Agreed. No idea why he isn't in the game right now.

Getting ugly out there. Need to settle things. Not sure why Sam is still out.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:00

Isn't his back acting up? It was on Sat. night in HOU, he kept grabbing it.

I haven't noticed anything tonight. Seems like a coach's decision, but I guess I could be wrong.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 19:59

Terrible stretch of last 3 min here. Come on guys. Cut the silly turnovers.

Mike P. on Feb 9 at 20:07

Eighters putting it on the Wolves.

Playoffs here we come! WATCH OUT BRON. WE'RE COMIN FOR YOU.

4.5 out of the #8 seed. 5.5 out of the #6 seed. F me.

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:27

No trade deadline moves, more eddie, more ed, MORE EIGHTERS.

God bless Philadelphia basketball!

See ya later Evan Turner/Wes Johnson, AKA perfect backcourt mates for Jrue and Iggy.

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P. on Feb 9 at 20:28

So that's one vote for pro mediocrity

Do either of them really shoot well enough to be perfect fits next to Jrue and AI9?

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:48

Probably not, and I think Turner needs the ball a lot. I still like Turner a lot though.

Maybe we'll get into the eight spot, but still manage to nab a good shooting guard at a spot int he teens.

I mean look at Marcus Thornton. Well don't because you will be sad the Sixers didn't get him, even though we didn't have any second round picks.

It's funny how Detroit bombed their free agent signings yet murdered in that second round of that draft. They basically built a bench.

Mike P. reply to Mike P. on Feb 9 at 20:50

I meant Johnson. Oh typing.

yes - 73 pts

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 20:10

Good finish to bring that lead back up. Two big jumpers by Andre to end it. One a three. Both swishes.

Damn. That was an impressive first half.

Up by 22 at the break. No god damned let down in the second half, please.

Iguodala + Brand = 10/18, 28 points. 29 bench points. Solid, solid first half by Jrue.

the offense went into a serious lull, but I thought the D was there, especially the defensive rebounding (Thad was very active).

Jeebus, 21 points on the break in the first half.

Come on Sam, 5 more boards.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:33

Haha I was about to say that.

You know, if Dalembert plays enough minutes, there's no reason he won't continue the streak until the end of the season. He is not the foul machine he used to be, so it seems the only limit to his minutes is coaching decisions (apart from injury of course)

4 more. Let's go Sam. Get 'em quick.

3 more.

Did they call that foul on Jrue? Does he have 5?

Nope. Just had to get Lou in there, I guess.

We better see a lot of Jrue in the fourth.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:38

In Coach Douchenozzles defense, starters tend to sit blow outs in the 4th qurater of NBA games

Even token starters?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:41

At this point, sams more of a token starter than Jrue

And that's kijnd of sad

Hmmn, is jacking threes and fouling on every other possession on the defensive end a good way to protect a lead?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 20:41

That's how they do it uptown

Minny's in a zone, I believe.

Haha, I like that... Philadelphia Eighters.

um... would you say this is basketball? I feel a timberwolves comeback to cover the spread.

i keep thinking about them winning and getting into the playoffs and it just pisses me off that we might actually make it even after that god awful first half of the season. either have a decent start and get a good seed or just suck the whole year, don't switch off. i seriously don't understand how a team does so bad in the first half, people are thinking top 5 pick and now if they get hot they might make the playoffs and get another mid round pick. after 3 years of doing the same exact thing over and over you would think something would give..but no. we have gotten good players from those mid rounders though, but still.

Mike P. reply to Tyler on Feb 9 at 20:54

Welcome to the Eastern Conference man.

Gonna get that Eighth seed and have a Diet Bron versus Bron Classic showdown.

Diet Bron will be sorely outmatched, but he will try hard. Then the Eighters will go into the offseason wondering what to do with another pick in the teens. Probably take another small forward. OR, they'll take ANOTHER 18 year old, probably a shooting guard, to not give minutes to again.

We just need to play every game in the winter. I think Philly is like 65-11 or something in the last three years during Jan-March

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P. on Feb 9 at 21:00

If only there was a way to look things up like records in specific months

Kareem Abdul Dalembert

Iguodala settled things there. That was a nice post, seal and slam.

Up 21 after three. Wondering if we're going to see Jrue (19 minutes) and Sam (21 minutes) at all in the fourth. Sammy needs 3 boards to keep the streak going. Jrue has played a hell of a game.

Sessions heating up a little (thanking his lucky stars Lou Williams is "guarding" him).

Heh. Thad cracks me up sometimes. Bench him and he starts playing like he did when he was a rookie again.

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:00

I really liked his game when he was a rookie. If he can continue playing like that I'll be thrilled.

Yeah, we all did.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:06

It just seems him and Lou became complacent with starting. Sort of felt they belonged and didn't have to bring it every night. Like they didn't have to continue to 'earn' anything. Well Thad at least, who knows with Lou.

JohnEMagee reply to eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:11

Or his 3rd coach in 3 ydears and playing different positions overwhelmed him and his basketball iq isn't as high as fans had hoped.

He'd played fine as a starter the previous 2 seasons

Anyone watching the debacle that is the Miami / Hou game?

Bizarre game over there. Not sure why the rockets came out so flat defensively.

Pacers beating the Bulls, Pistons beating the Bucks. About to gain a game on two of the teams we're chasing. Heh.

Excellent. Use these minutes to develop Royal Ivey.

ivey in and jrue is on the bench...AWESOME

bdownbear on Feb 9 at 21:02

And we'll see Holiday tomorrow. Thank you Eddie Jordan!!!

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:02

Leaning Lou! With the fall-away!

JohnEMagee on Feb 9 at 21:04

At this point put sam back in to get him his 10

Well, he wouldn't be EFJ if he didn't find a way to have me angry during a complete blowout.

Royal Ivey has been hitting everything from downtown recently.

Lou playing in garbage time. So apt.

Get Primoz some burn!

JohnEMagee on Feb 9 at 21:08

Why is Iguodala still in the game?

No idear.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:10

Get sam his ten you putz

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:10

He's on Eddie's fantasy team.

Bench is about to be cleared, if the whistle would ever blow.

eddies' heady's reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:12

And that bench clearing included none other than Marreese Speights. Can you say doghouse?

PRIMOZ!

Garbage time for Speights.

19 minutes is all you can get your 19-year-old PG of the future in a 25-point blowout, huh?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:13

Royal Ivey needs development.

And seriously, in a game like this, streaks matter, not getting Sam a chance for his 10 is just an asinine move by a coach - it's the kind of thing that's makes players hate said coach :)

Alvin reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:16

I think you mean the PG of the present (and the future).

Primoz is awesome.

Tell me Brezec did actually grab the ball.

any reason smith played instead of speights tonight?

JohnEMagee reply to mike on Feb 9 at 21:16

One tries on defense, one doesn't, and my guess is Stefanski laid down the law to get Speights to PLAY defense (not coach, but GM)

One charity minute for Jrue.

eddies' heady's on Feb 9 at 21:20

I know it may sound like an excuse, but I'm sure Jrue's minutes are going to be monitored like this because he's a rookie and not accustomed to playing this many games in a season. The rookie wall thing. That is, if they are going to continue to run him out there as a starter and their goal appears to be the playoffs, they are going to keep him as fresh as they can for the possible stretch run.

(And another reason tonight may be the back to back tomorrow night.)

So he saved Jrue's legs for the back-to-back, but he's not worried about Iguodala (42 min), nor Brand (31 min).

And I don't buy the rookie wall thing. They gave Thad WAAAY more minutes than this in his rookie season.

Well, they've now won the games in which they were evenly matched, they've won a couple they shouldn't have, and just destroyed a team they should've killed. 5 straight. Don't think ES can trade Iguodala if this continues for another 9 days.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:33

And Iverson hasn't played in a one

Just saying.

And 5 games shouldn't be enough to make any GM change his mind unless they're 5 games in the NBA finals you win 4-1

primoz is the maaaannn

Blowout city. Another game tomorrow, against a much tougher team, on the road. And Andre Iguodala plays 42 minutes. Anyone care to explain that one?

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:27

Maybe he is showcasing Iggy and it's backfiring?

That's probably why they're winning. Ed S told Ed J he had to play EB and AI9 a ton of minutes to up their value :)

Mike P. reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 21:33

S - "Hey, start our best players so other teams can see how good they are"

J - "Sir, something strange is happening!"

S - "What's wrong? You told them to play defense too right?"

J - "Yes Mr. S, but the thing is, we've started to win games. 5 in a row actually"

S - "WHAT?!?"

J - "I KNOW. We haven't even attempted a single dribble handoff! WHAT IS GOING ON"

S - "This is horrible, we must blow it up. Trade Iggy for pennies on the dollar immediately"

Jesse reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 22:23

Iguodala's been playing a ton of minutes this whole season (and his career for that matter). 40.2 mpg this year. Brand, not so much.

Duracorr reply to Brian on Feb 9 at 22:43

The “problem” is that the Sixers were no where near as bad as their record indicates. They are playing for a coach who had no clue, who did not reward them for playing hard nosed defense, who instituted an offensive system that didn’t fit their strengths, who didn’t put them into positions where they could succeed, who played combinations on the court that could not defend. Now, I believe Stefanski has put his foot down and told Joran what to do so they appear to be much better. They are back to being the team they were last year, but with a legitimate post presence. They are back to being one quality SG away from being one of the top teams in the East. Now if Carney could handle the ball a little better…

Dont see speights play very much.... and yet the sixers win and play better defense. I think that has alot to do with the way theyve been playing speights is a selfish player the rest of the crew is playing team ball. I like smith just playing with energy and knowing hes not supposed to take a million shots a game and even ivey is doin well shooting the three and gettin other guys the ball and playing defense. i say keeps speights on the bench

JohnEMagee reply to Paul on Feb 10 at 10:27

Or maybe it has more to do with Iverson being out for the past 5 games.

johnrosz on Feb 10 at 0:27

I really hope this winning streak doesn't distort anyone's view of this roster...It is still very flawed and far far removed from title contention.

On a positive note. I really enjoyed Jrue in the first quarter. That baseline drive and dish to Brand was the kind of PG play i haven't seen on this team since...well my whole life basically.