Three Way?

I like Hickson a lot, he plays really hard and could be an enforcer as far as rebounding and shot-blocking. He's already a starter in this league, that's not a question. I love how hard he attacks the rim as well, not one soft bone in his body.

Still, I worry that he is in a perfect situation and his talents are being inflated playing with LeBron and alongside Shaq with a solid defensive system. I wouldn't want either of those deals for Andre and Sammy. I think Hickson basically would take awhile to even equal Sammy's output here. He would struggle not having the comfort and defined role he has in Cleveland (just to play hard) so that would be a wash at best. Then it would just be pawning off Dre for salary space and if you do that, Brand better be going with him.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 7:54

Unless Stefanski gets a better offer, I don't think either one of these scenarios happens.

Have not watched Hickson much. How productive would he be if he was on a lousy team without guys like Lebron spoon feeding him dunks? By the numbers he does not rebound or block shots as well as Speights, and he is undersized. Also hicks shoots jumpers at

... less than 30% from the field. Understand the whole "attacks the rim and plays with energy" thing, but how far does that get him when he no longer is playing for an elite team?

Hickson may overall grab less rebounds, but he grabs more defensive rebounds. I'd rather have a guy who grabs defensive rebounds than a guy who doesn't.

And he actually plays above-league-average man-man defense. His team defense still needs some work, but he's a 21 year old second year player. Effort's there.

Right now the vast majority of his points are off cuts and movement. His face-up jumper's not there, and his post game is rarely used. That being said, I do think he has good footwork, and can develop a post game in the future. They honestly don't run a whole lot for him, so he doesn't get much chance to show that part of his game off.

Would i trade Iguodala for him? well, no. But I do think he's going to be a starter in the league, and think he has a little more upside than Brian's giving him. I have more confidence in him developing than Speights at this point.

Do you see him potential becoming the lead frontcourt player (either defensively or offensively) on a contending level team?

That's all I needed to know.

I'm all for stockpiling young talent, but if you are going to trade away a great young player like Iguodala (without also moving Brand) you better get at least a potential foundation piece in return.

A good example would be way back when they got Theo in exchange for Stackhouse. Theo was a potential lead (defensive) frontcourt player for a contending level team.

I don't consider JRich, Barbosa, Hickson, West or any of the otehr names mentioned as worth going after in an Iguodala trade. I guess if they thought Lopez was a future elite defensive center then maybe (but I doubt he is.)

I said from the beginning that Hickson's not good enough for Iguodala.

Yeah, I've been pretty much on the same page as you when it comes to these trades.

They need to do something big over the next year, but the options for this deadline don't seem worthwhile.

But that's why I wanted to know more about Hickson. Sounds like some are really high on him(Phx management? or are they just covering being cheap?) If he was seen as a future key piece it would be worth serious consideration.

Agree. I wanted him over Speights in the draft.

MylesKong on Feb 15 at 10:16

To join the fun, I'd like this trade with Phoenix to happen...

Iggy
Sam

for

Stoudmire
Lopez
Hill

We get a young strong center
We get a vet with an expiring. I like the idea of Thad absorbing a little Grant Hill. He's so savvy.
Stoudmire...not really a fan but since he's the centerpiece of these deals...

Sixersnoob on Feb 15 at 10:59

In a perfect world...

76ers Trades: Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert, Lou Williams, Elton Brand, Jason Smith/Marreese Speights
76ers Receives: Jason Richardson, Delonte West, Big Z, Robin Lopez, Nazr Mohammed, Boris Diaw

Cavs Trade: Big Z, Delonte West, JJ Hickson
Cavs Receive: Amare Stoudemire, Lou Williams

Suns Trade: Amare Stoudemire, Jason Richardson, Robin Lopez
Suns Receive: Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert, JJ Hickson

Bobcats Trade: Nazr Mohammed, Boris Diaw
Bobcats Receive: Elton Brand, Jason Smith/Marreese Speights

Sixers do horrible for the rest of the season, get lucky in the lottery, Draft John Wall :D, and even then, we wouldn't do so well and get a high lottery pick, all the contracts expire, sign CARMELO :D, then draft Harrison Barnes.

Dream Roster
PG: John Wall- PG to lead a team
SG: Harrison Barnes- Shooter
SF: Carmelo Anthony- All Around Monster
PF: Speights/Smith- Scorer/Token White Guy?
C: Robin Lopez- Defensive Low Post Presence

Thats a dynasty right there :P

So just to clarify, you're saying that even when Amare walks, neither of these are deals that are even good salary dumps? I agree that he shouldn't be dumped in a cost-cutting move that doesn't cut a ton of costs.

If they take Amare and Barbosa back, and Amare walks here's the difference:

2010-2011 as the roster currently stands (with 1st round pick) - $68M
2010-2011 w/ Barbosa minus AI9 and Sam (with 1st round pick) - $50M (cap between $50-56M, so they could afford an MLE-level acquisition either using the MLE or using cap space)
2010-2011 w/ Hickson and Barbosa minus AI9 and Sam (with 1st round pick) - $51.7M.

2011-2012 as they currently stand (2 FRPs) - $51.4M
2011-2012 Barbosa minus AI9 & SD (2 FRPs) - $45.5M
2011-2012 Barbosa & Hickson minus AI9 & SD (2 FRPs) - $47.8M.

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 15 at 13:35

Well is 45.5 million a number from which you can afford a big piece? I don't necessarily mind waiting a couple years.

I seriously doubt it. If the cap is at this year's level in two seasons, it would mean $12M in cap space. I don't think the owners will get everything they asked for in the new CBA, but I'm fairly certain the cap will go down significantly. As someone said above Melo is probably the best player available via free agency that summer (if he opts out of the final year, which I'm not sure he would considering it's at the pre new CBA level $18M), and they wouldn't have anywhere near enough cap space to get him.

Ric Bucher says the following in ESPN's rumor central:

"While other pieces would've had to be included, the trade essentially would've sent Beasley to Philadelphia, Iguodala to Phoenix and Stoudemire to Miami. The deal broke down, sources say, because Philadelphia wasn't overwhelmed by the prospect of rebuilding around Beasley. This isn't an isolated case: the Heat appear to be the team most enamored with Stoudemire, but their trading chips are Beasley and Jermaine O'Neal, aka, a big, fat expiring contract. So far, no one has been willing to bite -- underscoring why the Heat tried so hard on draft night in 2008 to trade down and take the player they really wanted, O.J. Mayo."

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 15 at 13:34

Um, if they really thought Mayo was the better player, why didn't they just take him?

Rich reply to Tray on Feb 16 at 0:24

Haha latest answer ever to a question. Mayo and D Wade didn't make too much sense at the time. They still probably don't. Although, I've read some good things about the way Mayo has played with that team.

Getting Beasley and some expirings would be great. Especially if we could get rid of Sam and or Brand too.

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P. on Feb 15 at 14:09

Why would getting Beasley be great?

Mike P. reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 14:32

He is very young and would a good piece to begin our rebuilding process around him and Jrue.

He has also changed after his rehab incident and I believe getting away from Miami and D Wade would do him wonders.

I also like Beasley a lot and would happily purchase his jersey.

JohnEMagee reply to Mike P. on Feb 15 at 14:37

I see him as an over rated tweener and have to wonder (if reports are true) why the heat picked him if they preferred Mayo - it's not like Mayo would have been a 'bad' pick at #2.

If he's a piece you build around I have to wonder why the Heat are so anxious to shop him and no one wants him.

Mike P. reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 14:45

Maybe they stupidly talked themselves into doing so? I don't have insider so I couldn't see who else they were shopping him for, but they are so hot for Amare they'd happily give up the Beas.

As happy as I'd be to get him, it wouldn't mean anything if we still had Brand. Brand is the big piece that needs to be moved, and if we don't get him somewhere with Iggy no one is going to take him and we are going to be salary crippled for a long time.

If only we got Josh Smith via magical RFA trickery.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 15:07

Beasley is a loser and i want nothing to do with him. he so badly wanted to the be 'the man' in the rookies/sophmore game. lol. he shot everytime he touched the ball. in typical loser fashion, he scored his 26 points in the most inefficient way possible. it was very clear that he is was in the lower quartile of talent on that court.

johnrosz reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Feb 15 at 15:38

Don't know if you should base your player ratings off of what you see during All Star weekend...

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to johnrosz on Feb 15 at 16:28

not really my basis. just an observation. i just hate those types of players as i described in my short rant . 'gotta gets mines' attitude and thinking that shining in a meaningless game is important.

very obvious that he was not close to being one of the better players in that game. thats the point

JohnEMagee reply to AaronMcKie4MVP on Feb 15 at 16:31

And you can figure all that out from one appearance huh?

Don't you have to be highly rated to be overrated ?

At this point I think he's rated fairly accurately. A one-dimensional young player with character questions.

He WAS overrated.

Yup!

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 15 at 15:30

Sorry, was referring more to fan perception of Beasley which many seem to think still contains massive 'upside'

I don't know that he's a 'loser' as someone stated above, but if the Heat are ready to give up on him so quickly, combined with his off the court issues, he's not someone I think you build around and that the sixers should 'have' to trade for.

Reports from 'rumor' sources indicate the suns feel they 'have' to trade Amare - that's when you make a bad deal - when you feel you can't walk away, my hope (and belief based on what's gone on so far) is that the sixers are willing to walk away if they don't get a deal to their liking. Whether 'their' liking and my liking are the same thing is a different story, I'm just glad they don't feel like they have to make a move...there's still time to avoid the luxury tax and when you 'have' to make a move that's when you get backed in to a corner and possibly violated.

If the Suns really feel they have to trade Amare - committed to it - I wouldn't be surprised to see no better offer than Ilgauskis and Hickson.

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 17:27

I agree. I mean, maybe he's incredibly talented but I don't see him putting things together.

The really troublesome thing about Beasley is that he isn't on a cheap rookie contract, his contract is $4.3M this season and goes all the way up to $8.1M for his qualifying offer. They could cut him earlier than that, but he's not exactly cheap. And much like Hickson, I don't see him as a cornerstone of the franchise. I'm not even sure if he fits a system as much as Hickson does. He's the type of player where you need to sort of build around his strengths/weaknesses if you're going to play him 30+ minutes/game, and I don't think he has enough talent for that to be workable.

johnrosz on Feb 15 at 15:49

It's not right to call Beasley a loser because he's 21 and likes to smoke pot. He's not the only guy in the NBA that likes to get stoned, believe me. If you want to evaluate him based on the fact that he's overrated and has the Louwill mentality in a much larger frame with a better pedigree, that's fine.

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to johnrosz on Feb 15 at 16:41

lol! i dont care what he smokes. the guy strikes me as a loser because of the way he plays. his mentality in the rookie/soph game sealed for me. the guy wants to be in the class of Jennings, Westbrook, Evans, Blair, Curry, Mayo so badly that it hurts!

legler summarizes much better than I. 'personal showcase' is the description of a loser.

JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 15:57

Bummer

So just on a lark I looked at OKC and the sixers - the difference between Dalembert and Etan Thomas is just too large to make up simple from the OKC roster...so my dream was wrong...phooey...they're usually so reliable

JohnEMagee reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 15:59

Course I don't like to make things complicated

Some guy at an OKC blog doesn't mind :)

AaronMcKie4MVP reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 16:40

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 17:08

FYI: Iverson is here at practice, which just started. First workout with team in 2 1/2 weeks and first time with team since Jan. 31 win at New Jersey. Will give more info afterward -- curtain is closed so we can't see anything.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 17:14

And while Eddie Jordan would love David Lee, a PF who at least plays some defense is preferable

If we didnt sign brand we could have signed Lee for last summer for half the price

JohnEMagee reply to steve on Feb 15 at 17:13

No - you couldn't have and neither could have the sixers.

That cap space would have been gone when Iguodala and Williams were given their extensions...

I don't know if Beasley is really suited to play the pro game at this point. In college he was: a. A beast rebounding the ball b. A more versatile offensive player that could make threes.

In the pros he doesn't rebound as well and he has trouble guarding stronger fours, who are a world different than they were in college. He's also basically a 18-20 foot jump shooter that can't hit threes. He's not really a stretch four because he shoot 27 percent from three, and he's not a high percentage shooter for what he does, but more of a volume shooter.

Add in the baggage he has, I wouldn't touch him.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 17:37

It's like people say the Sixers should've signed Josh Smith. Though Smith would've been a better fit, Smith was restricted and Atlanta would've matched the offer.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 17:42

An NBA source said the yahoo.com report that Stefanski doesn't like the idea of Brand and Stoudemire together in the frontcourt is an "old story."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 17:51

It would only be news if he DID like the idea - anyone with half a brain doesn't like that idea

JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 17:52

You know, I'm beginning to think that Stefanski is grossly over matched as an NBA GM

Could be, but he hasn't exactly gotten robbed on any trades since he got here. So far he seems to have turned down all the ridiculous offers. Hope that statement holds true for another 4 days or so.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 15 at 17:58

If there were some sort of 'paralysis by analysis' metaphor that fit better I'd use it. Stefanski is starting to remind me of Kevin Pritchard (not in a good way either)

Rumors are circulating that the Rockets and Knicks are closing in on a deal, as the Knicks bend in ways they wouldn't previously...

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:00

Iverson was out there on the black team with Willie Green for a while when curtain opened. Looked a little winded, not surprisingly.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:03

Is the black team the starters usually?

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:06

Usually, but Speights is on black team right now with Dalembert on white, so I'm guessing not.

Jason Smith isn't practicing (sprained right ankle) and won't play tomorrow.

Can we trade Eddie Jordan for another team's ball boy? AI and Jordan are the only 2 I want gone by Thursday!

JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 18:27

The continued employment of this coach, more than any move made or not made, is the worst thing as I see it

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:50

Just talked to Iverson. He's bringing 4-year-old daughter Messiah to Children's Hospital in Philly. Said she's feeling better, but they still don't know what the problem is.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:51

Jordan said Iverson will likely come off the bench tomorrow. Iverson said it's been "the last thing on my mind" and that he's "all in" and wouldn't make waves if it happens.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 18:52

Iverson's daughter is still in Atlanta, which is where the rest of his family is. She's out of the hospital for now.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 19:04

Iverson: "I look at myself as a strong person, especially dealing with everything I've had to in my life. You find out when it's your family that you're not as tough as you thought you were."

johnrosz on Feb 15 at 19:55

I'm completely perplexed as to why a lot of fans want to see AI gone. This team sucks regardless, sure I'd like for him to come off the bench just like everyone else. But the guy has been nothing but a class act upon his return, he's one of the greatest Sixers in franchise history. As long as the team is mediocre its a moot point, I want AI to go out on his own terms.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Feb 15 at 19:58

Yeah, that's great and all.

Iverson doesn't help the sixers this year
He doesn't help the long term development of players (in fact he blocked Holiday for a while until the coach got bitchslapped by the GM)
He won't be here next year so he isn't really helping the rest of the players gel as a unit.

I don't care about how Iverson goes out - that's not about him - that's not about the sixers.

The Sixers signed him for PR and attendance which after about one game vanished...they didn't think he made them a better basketball team AND it hurts the development of the players AND gives the coach (and GM) a built in excuse for why this year wasn't successful.

But hey, at least Iverson feels good about how he went out after being a punk in Memphis and Detroit, so that's good for the sixers right?

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 20:21

"they didn't think he made them a better basketball team AND it hurts the development of the players AND gives the coach (and GM) a built in excuse for why this year wasn't successful."

So Iverson is a built in excuse for why this year wasn't successful? How does that make sense? They weren't successful before he got here, and he's only played in a handful of games since he arrived. Has anyone in the organization even hinted at Iverson being a scapegoat? Seems like a farfetched conspiracy theory to me. Agree about the attendance motivation, but I'm not sold on the idea that "they didn't think he made them a better basketball team."

JohnEMagee reply to Jesse on Feb 15 at 20:26

I didn't say it made sense

But as devils advocate - the sixers had their best win streak of the season (5 games) when Iverson didn't play and Jrue starting...

It's all about spin...

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 20:25

In my opinion Jrue didn't play because of the coach
and his stubborn old school mentality that rookies can't handle extended minutes. We as fans look for any outlet we can for our frustration,hence why I hear AI getting blamed for the bad rotation/team woes.They would exist regardless, WG doesn't deserve extended minutes, Ivey shouldn't play, etc... Sounds from like what Tom said AI is willing to accept the bench role for now, so whats the problem? Regardless of what you think of the guy,it would be an AWFUL PR move to cut him with his current family issues.

All he's done since hes been here is try to share the ball and be a good teammate, for 650k or whatever hes making, I just think there are MUCH bigger issues with this franchise than some of the fan base trying to crucify one of its iconic figures...

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 20:32

Jordan: "My mindset now is not to start" Iverson.

Iverson: "That's the last thing I'm thinking about. We've got to do what's best for the team. ... I'd be lying if I said it won't be tough. I told him before, whatever decision he makes regarding me, I'm all in. I'm going to support him, regardless if I'm happy with it or not. I'm happy with the situation, being back in Philadelphia."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 20:37

Last time Joran spoke about his mindset with Iverson it was something to the extent of Allen would decide Allen's minutes was it not?

johnrosz reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 20:40

Tom, thanks for all the updates. I don't have an account on realgm or phillyburbs but i really enjoy the work that you do and am a daily reader.

I think a lot of people are having a tough time realizing AI has grown up. THIS is the guy who's the problem around here??? Don't think so...

AI's turnaround has been one of the only bright spots in an otherwise depressing season. He's genuinely happy to be back here in our endlessly vilified sports town.Hope all turns out well with his family.

Tom Moore reply to johnrosz on Feb 15 at 20:49

Thanks, John. Just hoping they can figure out what the problem is and address it.

"I think a lot of people are having a tough time realizing AI has grown up. THIS is the guy who's the problem around here??? Don't think so.."

1) He's eating valuable minutes
2) He's not the solution, so having him perform #1 is a problem.

As Jrue goes back to 15 mpg, another kitten dies.

Jordan is the problem. It would be fine if AI took Willie's minutes (any time Willie plays the minutes can not considered 'valuable') and Jrue played 25-30 minutes a game. AI would be if not a solution, an improvement, but the fact that Willie (and Lou to an extent) still plays too much is the problem. That's on Jordan.

johnrosz reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 15 at 21:47

I'd agree with you except that I see WG, Royal Ivey, Lou Williams all getting extended minutes as well. I know AI isn't part of the future, but let's not just act like his presence is the sole reason that Jrue doesn't play...

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 20:47

Jordan: "My mindset now is not to start" Iverson.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 21:39

Thought it was interesting what Brand said when asked if he's over Jordan not starting him in the second half of last Wednesday's loss in Toronto (Royal Ivey started and Brand sat for 10-plus minutes at the outset of the third quarter). Brand said there was some consolation by Jordan admitting the move didn't work: "Coach said it backfired. That did make me feel a little better about the situation because sometimes in the past we disagreed at times. If he thought it backfired and I thought it backfired, then let’s move on and get the team better."

My take on the whole Iverson situation is that I don't care how many minutes he plays as long as they don't come out of Jrue's share. I could care less about Willie and Lou at this point. Their development isn't a part of the long term future of this team, or it wouldn't be if I had any say in the matter.

When Iverson's on the floor, though, I don't want to see him being option A or option B. For better or worse, this team needs to move forward with Iguodala and Brand as their two lead guys. Iverson needs to be option C. This isn't really on him, it's on Jordan, but if the only way to get Jordan to put Iverson in that role is to have Iverson inactive, then I'd rather he be inactive.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 15 at 22:22

His game is suited to be Option C at this point, but they're ramming the offense down his throat. It's not in Allen Iverson's nature to defer touches. His jumper is excellent now as a standstill shooter. The problem is that he can't get his own shot as easily as he could. He now has to work really hard instead of just hard when he was good. That's part of the reason why I think he's passing it more, because many of his forays into the lane would be blocked or stolen. I've still been really impressed by AI.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 15 at 22:25

They're ramming it down his throat huh?

Who was the one who said Iverson decides his own minutes.

When Allen Iverson agrees to come off the bench for an extended period of time, then people can talk about him growing up...he's been a starter since the sixers stupidly re-signede him - the coach defered to him before he even stepped on the court - i'm not really sure how his behavior has even been 'tested' as the franchise bent over backwards to let him play as much as he wants.

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 23:08

They run plays for him as the primary option 60-70 percent of the time he's on the floor. That's ramming it down anyone's throat. I said in my original post that it's not in his nature to defer if they decide to give him the ball time and again, he's so damn competitive. He likes being the guy with the ball so he's not going to say "I shouldn't have it."

What does being a starter or not have to do with him growing up? I think he's a part of the Sixers best five right now (Jrue, Iverson, AI9, Brand, Sammy). Do you disagree? When he was playing, he was one of the five best players on the team, so he should get a lot of time. They should not come out of Jrue's time, that's all. Even if he was on the bench, he should pretty much play starter's minutes when healthy. If I was running the team he would get the 30 minutes he plays (He's not playing 46 minutes a game), they just would take time away from different people.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 15 at 23:24

And since Joran made it clear he was deferring to Iverson the moment he arrived - do you think it's Joran or Iverson who thinks Iverson should be the primary option?

If you don't know why he needs to go to the bench and WHY that's the key point to growing up then you've ignored his time in both Detroit and Memphis.

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 15 at 23:41

Of course Iverson thinks he should have the ball, that's who he is. He used to be a control freak who only trusted himself, but now he's much more of a facilitator and initiator of the offense. He plays way more of a team game now. It's Jordan's fault for deferring to him, but you can't take any stock in him growing up as a player? He actively tries to set up teammates now while still being aggressive. He's overmatched on the defensive end, but there are no more stupid gambles for steals and the effort is there. He plays off the ball way more than he probably would ever dream, especially at the end of games. Hey, I still wouldn't have resigned him, but he's given a quality effort (mentally as well as physically) every night he's been out there.

Still, from a winning/this season type of perspective, Why should he go to the bench if he's one of the best five? For the sake of saying "I'm grown up," is that why?

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 15 at 23:58

Why should he be on the bench?

The sixers have no chance of winning the title, or even contending in the eastern conference this year.

So this year shouldn't be about wins or losses, it should be about player development, and if brace face is the coach, it should be about brace face's system and player development - which Iverson breaks in multiple ways.

No matter what he says or does, Iverson coming back to Phialdlephia is about Iverson, it's about the 'tarnish' on his reputation, that started with 'talking about practice' and grew with his child like behavior in Detroit and then Memphis. Philadelphia gave him the keys to the car, and said drive us however you see fit.

In the end, as always, Iverson coming back to Philadelphia was about Iverson, it wasn't about basketball, and all it did is set the young guys who could be the core of the future back yet another year under another coach

johnrosz reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 16 at 0:08

Starting to realize that this is more about a personal vendetta against AI than the actual issue with the rotation...Like everyone has stated, AI is still giving you more than any one of WG, Green, Lou on a given night...those 3 players as well as the coach are the people you should direct your criticism towards...

I don't even know what that tangent about AI bending the Sixers over backwards to the tune of 650K is all about, you just aren't a fan of his that's fine. Personally, he's not my top candidate for scapegoat.

JohnEMagee reply to johnrosz on Feb 16 at 0:11

Eie Joran started Allen Iverson and Louis Williams in a back court - and thought that was a good idea (and not a defensive problem)

I wasn't referring to the money - I'm not sure why you think it was about the money.

And honestly, I couldn't give a crap about Iverson - the moment he left the sixers he became irrelevant to the sixers - his come back which was lauded by many was a failure on the court AND at the box office except for one game really.

My 'vendetta' is that I want the sixers to get better, and PR stunt for 2/3 of a season isn't going to help the permanent roster builds towards a title...it's just going to slow the team down another season and give both GM and coach a built in excuse for lack of cohesion between the rest of the roster.

You want to accuse me of having a 'vendetta' against Iverson, that's fine, but you and many others have a bias because of what happened long ago...Iverson gave idiot coach ANOTHER player to play before Holiday

Jesse reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 16 at 0:30

Starting to get a little out of control. If you're worried about Jrue's minutes, why aren't you flipping out about Lou and Willie? Or have you deemed them part of the "permanent" roster? Also confusing why you want them to run "brace face's" system. Since they've gone away from it, the Sixers have been playing much better. Personal vendetta or not, I think we need to get back a little perspective. Iverson has been a very minor issue. The problems with this organization run a lot deeper.

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 16 at 0:11

Ah, that's what the organization should be saying. That's why many of us didn't want to bring him back. From that perspective, I have no argument with what you are saying. It's very true, although I think that it did help the team some this season in the W/L column which technically is a positive, although in reality it hurts the long term chances by taking time away and adding hollow wins.

Our disagreement is not about the team direction though, it is about Iverson the person. My point is that from his viewpoint, there is no reason he shouldn't be a starter and get starter's minutes, he's one of our best five. He, nor any player, can be expected to think like a GM or coach. If Adam Morrison started getting 25 minutes a game for the Lakers, he would take it. It wouldn't be his fault either. Iverson has a more mature game on the floor, and going on the bench doesn't make sense from his standpoint. He is a part of the lineup to give the team the best chance to win. So there's really no need for him to accept going to the bench.

MylesKong reply to Rich on Feb 16 at 8:51

Considering his age and conditioning, is it possible for Iverson to sit most of the game and come in late as the "closer" Jordan is looking for? I mean, egos aside, if he had the same energy at the end of the games as he has had at the starts he would be much more beneficial to team success. If that's what you're looking for, of course.

Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 22:18

Speights could get more minutes with Smith out.

Will be interesting to see how much Jordan uses Iverson and Williams together with the second unit.

Jeff reply to Tom Moore on Feb 15 at 23:40

My guess is, if he's willing to use Ivey to start the third period in a game, we'll more than likely see the Iverson, Lou tandem running their "two-guard set" for a majority of the game.

just something interesting i found..

"Carlesimo, 54, coached Portland for three years and Golden State for two before being fired two months into the 1999-2000 season. Carlesimo has not gotten a single interview for all of the head coaching jobs that opened up this spring and the ones still available. By comparison, Nets assistant Eddie Jordan has met with officials from the Wizards and Sixers."

was ed stefanski in power back then? imagine if jordan did get the job back then

05 was still BK.