Decision Day

Trade-deadline alert just filed to ESPN.com: Rockets have agreement in principal with Sacramento to acquire Kevin Martin

How cool would it be to have a GM like Morey who makes great moves like this constantly??

So if this ends up as a 3 way, where TMac is flipped to theKnicks for Hill and #1's.... that is the type of move the Sixers should have tried to make.

Sean reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 1:42

When I first read the trade I thought it was Lowry in the deal not Landry. Having to give up Landry makes the trade not as good as Houston as I originally thought.

How many teams are now going to have max space this off-season? SAC, LAC, MIA, NYK, NJN, CHI?? Pretty amazing how many teams are going to be able to throw money around this summer.

And maybe one of those teams will want Iguodala as a consolation prize?

Washington's Starting Five tonight:

Foye, Young, Miller, Blatche, McGee

Naturally they beat the TWolves by 9.

Washington's Starting Five tonight:

Foye, Young, Miller, Blatche, McGee

Naturally they beat the TWolves by 9.

Great trade by the rockets. They were deep enough at the 4, and they got a solid scorer without giving up too much.

Martin fits perfectly with Houston, they love to see their best players in suits on the end of the bench :)

They gave up Landry, huh? He was easily their best player this season.

Shawn reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 9:48

very aggressive move... wonder what they see in martin that i don't see.

JohnEMagee reply to Shawn on Feb 18 at 9:49

Adelman has coached him in the past right?

So Ariza seems to be a volume shooter
And now Martin is a volume shooter

And their rebounding is worse now?

Shawn reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 10:05

When ariza was at his best, he was a 4-5 3pt fga guy at 40%.

I've read a lot of Morey commentary and one thing he said was a problem was a consistent scoring option other than their point guard. someone other than brooks who could create his own shot.

this is still an aggressive move for a team predicated on strong defense in 80% of their games.

Tray reply to Shawn on Feb 18 at 11:20

In fact, they're a league-average defensive team. So do they now at least become a good offensive team? That I'm not sure of. You trade a guy scoring 16 a game on nearly 55% shooting for someone scoring 20 a game on 40% shooting. Landry leads the team in per-minute scoring and he's their third best rebounder. Of course, Martin has been much better in past years, and I guess the idea is that this means an expanded role for Scola, a somewhat less efficient but still quite potent scorer. But even if McGrady weren't in this deal, I'm not entirely sure this is a move I would make. At least Martin will take shots away from Ariza, who's been doing way too much.

Martin's going to have a pretty dramatic effect on their defense, I'm being him sucking defensively. Right now they start Battier and Ariza, they can't do that anymore, one of them has to go to the bench unless you're going to move Battier to the four. Martin's minutes are going to have to come at the expense of one of those guys, and Budinger, who I believe is a better defender than him as well.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 11:37

Well landry is gone now

who is the rockets starting 4 - wasn't it landry?

Nope, it was Scola.

Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Scola, Hayes.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 11:40

Something interesting for them to worry about

still nothing interesting for the sixers fans to thinka bout :)

Tray reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:59

So this was a bad move. I really can't believe the price was Landry. I mean, you get Sacramento out of a big contract it doesn't want to pay now that they've decided he doesn't fit with Evans and decided that Evans is the much better player, and somehow on top of the cap relief they extricate your best player? With T-Mac off the books, couldn't Houston have just signed an MLE guy this offseason? Couldn't they at least have given them Scola instead?

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Feb 18 at 13:02

Don't forget houston is counting on a rather talented 7' big man coming back next year which would eat into more of Landry's minutes.

This wasn't a deal for this year - it was for going forward next season with a healthy yao who makes a pretty big difference - they just had to do it now because of mcgrady's deal.

They weren't going to clear enough cap with just mcgrady to be a serious free agent player anyway - so they added a scorer they feel they need who will help when yao returns

This is a long term next season type move - can't decide who wins really until Yao is back and you see how they all work togheter

Tray reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 13:15

I don't know. I think we've seen the Yao and Kevin Martin movie before. Maybe Martin works better with Yao than McGrady did, but I would want to retain my best non-clay-footed player. It's not like they play the same position, one's a 6'7 power forward and the other's a 7'6 center.

JohnEMagee reply to Tray on Feb 18 at 13:16

But this year the rockets have guys playing center who won't be there (position wise) when Yao gets back...it's another big man so minutes are going to come out somewhere.

With how Ariza has become shot happy i'm not sure how happy he si with this deal

I wonder how this is going to work as a three-team deal. I don't think HOU has any leverage left with NYK to demand Hill and the picks, and would Sacto be willing to take on Jefferies?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 9:38

Sacto wants cap space this off season - why give some of it up to help the knicks?

Wish I made that 'no moves' bet i made a few years ago - i could use the cash

I think it's a great deal for Sac. Landry for Martin is a wash IF Martin is healthy. If they do add McGrady and he can play, he will produce similarly to Martin. If they trade him to the Knicks, more power to them. Great move.

Sucks that discussion points today are what other teams are doing not what the Sixers are doing. This year really sucks! Sucks! SUCKS!

Not certain if the the dollars would work but:

Brand, Iggy & filler (if need be)

for

Stoudimire, Richardson & filler (if need be)

We'd most suffer defensively but offensively, I think we'd be OK...thoughts?

Matt reply to khouse on Feb 18 at 9:25

No one will take Brand's contract. I was daydreaming about pawning him off on Cleveland before the Jamison trade while bringing back Amare, but nobody wants Brand. His salary is just too big for his production.

I am mystified about what Stefanski is thinking at this point. The team is dramatically, spectacularly underachieving. That is beyond argument. So either 1) the talent is there but the coaching is not, 2) the coaching is fine or that talent is not there, or 3) both talent and coaching are lacking. I come down heavily on the side of #1, but that can all be argued. Either way, though, doing nothing makes no sense whatsoever. Personally, I have no great need to trade Sammy or Dre, but I seriously doubt that their value will get any higher than it is now.

Going to the Spurs game tomorrow night. I think my seats are right behind the visitors' bench, so I should be able to hear all of Pop's dry observations about our team's hustle and execution. And speaking of the Spurs, aren't they trying to trade Roger Mason? Not that we'd need a shooting guard who can play defense of anything.

khouse reply to Matt on Feb 18 at 9:40

If they are indeed desperate to trade Stoudimire...I think it's possible that they consider taking on Brand/contract especially if it's the best deal on the table at the deadline!

JohnEMagee reply to khouse on Feb 18 at 9:41

Except no one is that desperate.

They'd do it with Dalembert, they reportedly already made the offer.

NO ONE wants to trade for Elton Brand - it's a nice trade, numerous people on numerous boards have already come up with or (or a 3 way that nets the sixers players on rookie deals and an expiring contract without having to deal with Jason Richardson) - but it's a pipe dream - a fantasy

ryano reply to khouse on Feb 18 at 9:42

I actually wouldn't be extremely surprised to see that move. Mostly because it looks like Kerr is really feeling the pressure to move Amare and it's been said over and over that they covet Iggy more than anyone else. Maybe we could slip in Brand and possibly Lou and force Kerr to make a blunder of a move. Amare signs on for next year and then both he and Sammy drop off the books.

If Kerr is really feeling a lot of pressure to move Amare at this point we are really the only team that has a piece they really want. I don't think Miami can pull it off. 3pm is coming soon.

If we're going to blow it up...this would do it. I don't necessarily like it, but that's the plan...

ItAintEZ on Feb 18 at 9:10

As hard as it is, I think we are just going to have to wait until the offseason to see any kind of changes made. That is probably the best thing anyway. Get rid of the "coach" and maybe the GM then figure out a plan for the future.

It really makes no sense to try to shed salary if we are still going to have EBs contract. If you want to blow it up after you hire a new coach do it then. Why give up our best player in order to get someone to take Sam off our hands when he will be expiring after next season anyway.

It's hard to be patient, but sometimes it's the best thing.

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 9:39

My off season predictions

No one fired

Willie/Lou traded to a team with cap space - giving them a pick (1st if they take lou) - to get under the luxury tax line

Paying the first round draft pick.

Maybe some minimum player signings who are irrelevant (Ivey, Brezec)

And that's it

Sad to say...but I agree.

If EFJ hasn't been fired by now, why should we think he'll be fired this summer?

The only caviat that I throw in is if ownership changes in CHA and LB becomes available...in which case "Dumb and Dumber Part 2" is blown out and DiLeo takes over as head of player personnel (GM in name).

Jem's favorite scenario - the rat comes back.

JohnEMagee reply to bebopdeluxe on Feb 18 at 9:52

Do you think Snow would come out of retirement to play for LB...I know there is a portion of the fan base that would find that exciting

No - but he can be the #1 assistant and coach-in-waiting...

(sorry - I got all OPTIMISTIC - won't do that again)

ryano reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 9:45

Don't be a doomsayer!!! I don't think I can do another season like this.

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 9:44

Headed to practice shortly. Expect to talk to Stefanski after the deadline.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 9:45

Expect him not to say anything new or of substance or not qualifying as a cliché

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 9:58

Just because you have nice pieces doesn't mean they fit the puzzle.

Michael Wilbon

Matt reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 10:16

Maybe that's true of this team as well, but in the case of the Wiz, the pieces were never that great. I'm a big Caron Butler fan, but he is the ONLY guy on that team who had either the skill of inclination to play any defense. What kills me about the current Sixers squad is that we could throw a staring lineup out there that could defend like crazy (Jrue, Dre, Carney, Brand, Sammy) but because our coach neither understands nor cares about D, we never see it.

How much better could we be if we did this? I have no idea - no one does. But it seems reasonable enough to think we could be significantly better than we were last year. Instead we are far, far worse.

JohnEMagee reply to Matt on Feb 18 at 10:24

And maybe the sixer pieces aren't that great either....great is super star, great is 'focal point' - is great - star, but complimentary piece on a championship team?

Tom Moore reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 10:39

Wizards decided to "blow it up" and essentially start over. Stefanski and Sixers opted not to do it. Wouldn't expect anything to happen unless there's a better offer right at the deadline.

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 10:47

Of that i'm painfully aware.

Then again, Stefanskis 'plan' seems broken from the beginning, so it doesn't reall matter to me any more - perpetual mediocrity with a bad coach - that seems to be the plan

Don't suppose we can get you to ask him how he justifies a coach who ignores defense like Eddie Jordan if defense is '#1' for stefanski, or does he believe that Jordan is a coach who cares about defense?

Matt reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 10:49

All I'm saying is this: Do we have the talent on this team to play great defense? I think we do, which is why watching them is so agonizing.

If we did play great D (like if LB were coaching), we would be winning a lot more games. Maybe at that point it would make sense to lament the lack of a focal point/superstar in the offense. Instead, we're lamenting 30 point blowout losses to .500 teams.

JohnEMagee reply to Matt on Feb 18 at 10:50

at 4 of the 5 starting positions - yes
on the bench - no - there's no 'great' defense on the bench, there's barely average defense on the bench.

Matt reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 11:01

Who would you say is the weak link in that starting 5? I don't see one. Brand has trouble following guys out to the perimeter, but he defends the post well. If you're inserting Thad into the starting lineup, point taken. But that gives us Carney off the bench, who is certainly capable enough.

And just for reference, the 2001 Sixers had great D at 4 out of 5 starting positions, with only one capable defender (McKie) off the bench. Worked out pretty well for those guys.

JohnEMagee reply to Matt on Feb 18 at 11:17

You're forgetting a position :)

'2 guard'

Iverson/Green/Williams

Combined they don't make up a league average defender :)

Matt reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 11:55

If you could let all three of them guard the same guy (one on each side, perhaps?), then maybe they'd have a chance. :-)

I was actually imagining running Dre at the 2. I know this coach will never do it, but that's kind of the point. In my ideal world, the lineup would be Jrue-Dre-Carney/Thad (depending on what you want from the bench)-Brand-Sammy.

Eddie Jordan quote of the day, per Jasner-

"Every timeout, that's what we would talk about . . . At one point, I said I DON'T CARE IF THEY SCORE 200 POINTS, you've got to just get the ball out and let's go, keep it going."

Yep, that's our coach. Who cares if they score, run the offense.

From Ken Berger:

Suns are "going to hold" on Stoudemire, source says. STAT stays in PHX.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:01

ESPN Text alert that owner confirmed this - and rumors are floating that there's movement on the extension talks and they still might get something done

I'm moving on to the summer (since this deadline and the rest of the season are a waste.) There are probably only a few fans left who agree with Stefanski that this team should retool as opposed to blow it up. If anything, the horrible coach just shows how far this team is from being headed to being a contender. It much easier to be in denial when you are sneaking into the Eastern playoffs on the back of a 33 year old Andre Miller and a 500 record.

If the Sxers don't blow it up this Summer, they will probably end up playing out the string with this core for several more years due to the coming Lockout/CBA. I guess with a new coach and player development they could get to 45 wins at some point, maybe even a few more? But since they seem to lack the spine to make serious changes, it might be 5+ years until there's something to get excited about for Sixer fans- whomever is left?

SIXERS RUMOR ALERT, ALERT!!!

From Chad Ford on Twitter.

Here's the link looking up contract info etc right now.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:09

Hmmm, I liked Meeks a lot in college. He can shoot the ball, but not playing well in his rookie season. Why would Milwaukee do that trade?

Maybe they like Ivey. I have no idea.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 18 at 12:11

They can cut brezec and ivey pretty easily - single year vet contracts? Less money?

The 2nd round pick indicates to me it's something the bucks 'need' help on with their salmons deal that isn't completed yet

Ford: Latest: Bucks in serious talks with Sixers. Meeks, Elson and a 2nd to Philly for Brezec and Ivey

Who said Ed was not a big time GM!

Atta boy Ed! Retool!

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 12:07

Is it discouraging when there's a player mentioned who i've never heard of?

Who the hell is Meeks?

If neither of the guys mentioned can play 'point guard' - i'mhappy because less excuses not to play holiday

Jodie Meeks, I remember the Sixers liking him during the draft.

Actually, in its own puny way not a bad deal. They take on a few thousand of salary to get the Bucks under the tax. In exchange they get Meeks and a 2nd rounder.

Meeks is a shooter.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 12:14

But at the same time - if either of these guys are signed for next season it puts them 'more' over the luxury tax line for 2011

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:12

Jodie Meeks, he put up gaudy numbers playing for a really crappy Kentucky team last year. 2nd Team All America. I believe he may have hung 54 on Tennessee last year, it was a crazy performance.

OK, so the money is almost exactly the same this season. Meeks is signed for three years, with the third year being a team option, but it's a minimum contract, so really no cap impact at all.

Actually, it's a pretty good deal for Philly. Basically they got a second round pick for taking on a minimum contract for next season and got a guy they liked heading into the draft on a minimum contract.

Extremely low impact, but this is the type of deal people would do this for if it was made by Presti or Pritchard. (i believe jsams tweeted that video a while back, this seemed like an appropriate time for it.)

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:16

Except that in terms of 2011 - the sixers are now more over whatever the tax line is - minimally - but more - and now they have one less roster space to fill for next season (or 2)

To me this falls into my 'off season' plan i posted earlier - minimal signings - but instead of signing he just traded for them.

Dumping lou for a 2nd round pick in the off season probably still gets them under - but now they don't ahve to sign anyone to replace ivey and brezec :)

Nah, this doesn't affect them one way or another. They needed to fill roster spots anyway, did so on a minimum salary.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:22

Well it does save Ed precious 'thinking time' this off season on who to give those minimum contracts to :)

Well, he'd really be getting two minimum contracts out of this deal. Meeks and the 2nd round pick.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:26

So really all he has to do this summer is find a team that has cap space to absorb lou williams, let dileo make the draft pick, and then head off to sunny cancun.

SCORE

Shawn reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:22

do you know who I am? I am the wizard Morey. Bow to my deal making expertise and statistical modelling of help defense.

Rich reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:22

I kind of like it, minimal cap impact and a guy they like. If it goes down, I would like to see Jodie get some time with Jrue. Their games mesh real well maybe besides Meeks not being very big (generous 6'4 listing). The question would be what type of player you think Meeks is.

Here's the link to Tennessee game last year, watch some of the video-

Funniest thing about Ivey for Meeks...

Classic EJ undersized scoring guard instead of good defense trade.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 12:21

So what you're saying is - less minutes for Jrue?

If Eie Joran in anyway was involved in getting this trade done - i'll cry

The Greek reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 12:24

Meeks is 6'4 right?

Found this online. Finally an NBA player who is my height, but has even less vertical (he has t-rex arms.)

Height w/o shoes: 6′3
Height w/ shoes: 6′4
Weight: 211 lbs
Wingspan: 6′4.5
Reach: 8′2
Body Fat: 8%
No Step Vert: 28.5″
No Step Vert Reach: 10′6.5
Max Vert: 37″ (t-7th among participants)
Max Vert Reach: 11′3
Bench: 14
Agility: 10.96
Sprint: 3.10 (t-3rd among participants)

Never mind, misread. I was only looking at no-step vertical.

JohnEMagee reply to tk76 on Feb 18 at 12:36

So what is 'max' verticla - how is it calculated - and which is more relevant in the NBA - i would think no step? Like a jump shot or boxing out for a rebound right?

Max is like one or two steps. Both are probably relevant, as much as any of these numbers are.

Iguodala's vert wasn't good at the combine.

Depends on what you're doing. If you're driving to the lane, max vertical's more relevant. If you're offensive rebounding or shotblocking, or rising up for a jump shot, no step vertical is more relevant.

JohnEMagee reply to Derek Bodner on Feb 18 at 13:07

Makes sense - thanks

The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:21

Even though on the surface Meeks stats look pathetic, I liked him as a sleeper coming out of the draft would like this deal to get done. I mean we are giving up nothing and getting Meeks and a 2nd rounder whats not to like. But we need to do more then this, if this is the only thing that Stefanski does today he should be fired at the deadline.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:22

THere's nothing to dislike - but there's nothing really to like either when you have so many major issues on a roster.

Deckchairs, Titanic, that's how I see it

And maybe less reason for Eie to play Jrue

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:30

C'mon John, you have to like getting a 2nd rounder and a prospect for the box of shit that we gave up. Maybe we can trade that 2nd round pick for Herbert Hill, Derrick Byars or Petteri Koponen.

Ah the good old days

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:34

the sixers got lucky once with kyle korver (in the same year they got 'lucky' with willie green) but in general - 2nd round picks don't really pan out that much do they...they don't have a high success rate - but it is a way for the sixers to add a cheap player isn't it :) We haven't seen the exact details for WHEN this 2nd round pick is to be used and if it has protection (one second round pick this year had like top 55 protection, it never is getting conveyed ):)

You've got a bone protruding from your leg in a car accident and a shaving cut on your chin...this is the equivalent of dealing with the shaving cut and ignoring the protruding bone...it also means to me that the 'heavy talking' is done and ed can focus on the insignificant stuff

and that coach still isn't fired

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:38

Even when they pan out, they don't really have a high ceiling. I mean what's Korver? Like a fringe starter or something and he was great value for that spot.

Nonetheless I'm intrigued by Meeks. I loved his game in college and the one thing he CAN do is shoot the ball. My optimism is probably being aided by how sick I am of watching this current team play though.

JohnEMagee reply to Rich on Feb 18 at 12:41

Tell me you wouldnt' rather have korver than jason kapono right now

Rich reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:48

Of course I would, but Jason Kapono has not shown one (OK, one game vs. Boston) flash of being an NBA basketball player, so that's not saying that much.

I kind of was just adding on to your point because I think we are on the same page with this one. Korver is nothing more than a marginal starter at best and he was very good value for a 2nd round pick. Kapono, on the other hand, blows.

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:27

Some rumor i read this morning implied the sixers called the warriors about morrow

They were rebuffed because the warriors want nothing from the sixers

The Freaking WARRIORS

They don't want to help us become the Warriors East.

Speights for Morrow would've been sweet.

The Greek reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:34

It's amazing that the warriors who like Lou Williams in the offseason probably hung up the phone on us when we offered him for Marrow. At least I am assuming/hoping that we offered Lou for him.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:35

They've got ellis and curry - do they need another short guard who shoots alot?:)

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:38

There coach is Don Nelson, do you really need to ask?

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:40

Well if the sixers want morrow
And the rumors about biedrins are true

Sam for Biedrins and MOrrow probabl comes close to working

Maybe, Sam & Thad for Biedrins & Morrow?

JohnEMagee reply to sfw on Feb 18 at 12:48

Screw that - have you seen biedrins contract - he's signed at 9 mil per for like the next 5 seasons - one contract 'worse' than Dalemberts - helping the warriors out to position for sale better....they get nothing else :)

I am ALL OVER Speights for Morrow.

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:28

Bulls trade is now Warrick and Alexander - not sure the players make a difference

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 12:38

Jordan said Iverson and Holiday will start at guard tomorrow. Green is day to day with the bruised/sprained shoulder.

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 12:40

Asked if he's had an opportunity to show what he can do as a Sixer, Iverson hesitated and then said, "I'll leave that one alone. I'm doing the best I can to help the team win. Obviously, I want to do more and am accustomed to doing more."

JohnEMagee reply to Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 12:43

There's the Iverson we all know and love, itching to get out, but still wanting to play next season and realizing his moouth can get him in trouble.

So one game without starting and right back in (injuries or not, he'd be starting again I believe - whenever he decided he was ready)

Kate Fagan confirmed the rumor.

Stein is reporting Boozer to Miami discussions are ongoing.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:45

Aren't Jazz problems mostly one of luxury tax - the heat don't have any way absorb Boozer without sending stuff back - are they that close that '25%' can make a difference?

25% of Boozer's contract is over $3M. they're $5M over the lux tax limit right now. But $3M = $6M real dollars.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:57

O'neal however makes more this year than boozer - so how do they make the contracts fit in expirings?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 13:03

According to hollinger so is bucher - but i wonder if bucher reports what stein reports (and vice versa) to lend credibility to both of them :)

JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 12:47

Um...hold the phone...John Hollinger says:

the second-round pick was coming to the Bucks, not to the Sixers. Feel better?

That sounds more like it. Though Ford has it confirmed as the pick going to the Sixers from the Bucks.

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:50

I love deckchairs - i'm going to buy some this weekend to shuffle them - then i can feel like a sixers GM

The Greek reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:51

Get the Parade ready!!

Deal is done so my phone says

I assume SF76 had this one first on Real GM, right?

JohnEMagee reply to Brian on Feb 18 at 12:53

Bitter much?

The Sixers are interested in a 6'4 rookie shooting guard?? Named Jodie? What is this guy, Willie Green with a stupider name?

I like Elson > Brezec. I also like the thought of getting a shooter, even if we have one (Kapono) whose contract IMO is slightly less untradeable than Elton Brand's. The whole deal probably doesn't change much though.

I'd throw Lou Will to anyone, but Golden State weren't stupid enough to give Morrow in return (assuming it as Lou we offered). I see that he's having a career year but the kid has an attitude problem and he sees himself as a starter in the league when he really doesn't give enough. It's players with this attitude that cause teams to be mediocre (well after having a crappy GM and coach).

I think if Chicago's gonna take on both Acie Law and flip murray (for tyrus thomas) they MUST have a deal 99% done for Hinrich, no?

JohnEMagee reply to Alvin on Feb 18 at 12:54

No - it means they lost salmons and still want to make the playoffs and think murray can replace salmons and law is the PG no one wants...

As for your comments about Lou's attitude - most NBA players THINK they are starters in the league - and many NBA starters shouldn't be

Alvin reply to Alvin on Feb 18 at 12:57

Okay if we're giving a pick away that is one heck of a dumb deal. Even if we haven't done ANYTHING with any of our recent 2nd-round picks (since Lou Will).

The Greek on Feb 18 at 12:57

LET US CELEBRATE THE MEEKS OBERTO ERA WITH THIS INCREDIBLE LINK.

www.jodiemeeks.net

JohnEMagee reply to Shawn on Feb 18 at 12:58

But we got elson?

Shawn reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 13:04

Oberto = white elson

Joe reply to Shawn on Feb 18 at 13:09

Except that Oberto is better at every single facet of the game, some of them by a decent margin.(except free throw shooting, not that either ever get to the line.

Shawn reply to Joe on Feb 18 at 13:17

Oberto this year gets 12 minutes a game - for the wizards. 1.5 pts per game / 1.6 rebounds per game.

long ago were his 10/10 days for the spurs.

Goodness, why don't we just call up Morris Almond out of the D-League? Same player, essentially.

The Greek reply to Tray on Feb 18 at 13:04

I would love to add Almond to this piece of shit team.

Tom Moore on Feb 18 at 13:03

ESPN.com reporting deal is done.

Jodie Meeks is horrible. He just shoots a lot.

Elson is a complete and utter disgrace of a player.

The Sixers gave up a pick? Weird.

The Greek reply to Joe on Feb 18 at 13:05

What's the deal did we trade a pick or did we get a pick?????????????

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 13:06

Sixers traded a second round pick

The Greek reply to JohnEMagee on Feb 18 at 13:08

Wiki already list Meeks as a Sixer

John where do you see that, everywhere I see it says that we are getting a 2nd rounder.

JohnEMagee reply to The Greek on Feb 18 at 13:09

John Hollingers Chat he said the bucks got the pick

And now espn has it

I dont understand why we would give up a second round pick in the upcoming draft to take a player that was drafted in the second round last year and "hasnt panned out."

Unless Stefanski knows something we don't about Meeks, this seems like a bad idea. I just don't see why it's worth giving up the second round pick.

JohnEMagee reply to scott on Feb 18 at 14:22

Well Rumor is that Stefanski was high on meeks draft night last year - and couldn't buy a pick to get him before the Bucks picked him

The bucks now had a guard surplus so Stefanski probably though 'ah now's my chance to buy a guy who is at the bottom and hope he pans out' and saw him as more valuable than any future second round pick.

The rest of the trade just makes salary work - he flipped a 2nd round pick for a player he wanted last summer - so whatever he saw then - his poor play this year hasn't dissuaded him.

And as I'm told - he had one good year at kentucky - so he'll be good in the NBA